Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My church as a kid passed around trays with little plastic shot glasses. Grape juice was in the middle and wine was around the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Y'all should try living in a city built by successive groups of Vikings and Normans over a millennium. Not a single straight or wide road, nothing is numbered, streets turns into other streets or circle back on themselves.
A lot of Tokyo's streets started out as makeshift paths that formed more or less organically after being bombed in WWII and eventually got paved. A very similar vibe.

Conversely, Kyoto's layout is neatly gridded and numbered, much like my home region of metro Detroit. I'm not great with directions anyway, so three cheers for logically numbered streets.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DrBouvenstein posted:

WTF? That was, like, the one little "fun" thing about going to church as a kid, feeling you're sticking it to "the man" by having a sip of wine.

Sike! It was actually blood.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Milo and POTUS posted:

So when you get kicked out of one church for too many bread samples you can just go to the other one

Don't fill up on the Body of Christ, there's dessert!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

Oh yeah, we have viking towns too - lots and lots of roads just about wide enough for a single cart.

For example here, the middle of Wexford town Head up Selskar street and boggle at all the winding, 6 foot wide roads.

Yeah I was also talking about ireland lol

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I've never been able to do cardinal directions, even with a compass HUD in my car. For a long time I'd play along with people out of embarrassment but it it hasn't clicked yet it's not gonna. Now I just say I don't do directions and GPS everything. Still don't know why some people love to give live turn-by-turn directions.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

tribbledirigible posted:

Don't fill up on the Body of Christ, there's dessert!

"Keep your fork, there's Christ!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Transubstantiation is such a wild concept to me. Like if you're a true practicing Catholic you 100% have to believe that bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ when receiving communion. No metaphors or anything, that is actual Catholic doctrine, no way around it! Very metal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

Transubstantiation is such a wild concept to me. Like if you're a true practicing Catholic you 100% have to believe that bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ when receiving communion. No metaphors or anything, that is actual Catholic doctrine, no way around it! Very metal.

I grew up protestant but catholic-adjacent (grandparents and relatives), and I didn't find out until college age that it wasn't a metaphore. I even made a report in a western civ class how that practice was viewed controversially, while under the assumption that they actually believed it was just representative.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

I grew up protestant but catholic-adjacent (grandparents and relatives), and I didn't find out until college age that it wasn't a metaphore. I even made a report in a western civ class how that practice was viewed controversially, while under the assumption that they actually believed it was just representative.

I mean I also grew up catholic, and was a know-it-all edgy Carl Sagan reading poindexter who liked to antagonise priests, and I got multiple different priests to kinda-sorta say it was a metaphor, so it's whatever. Nobody actually believes that poo poo, but then again I don't think 99% of religious folk believe much of it, they just like having licence to treat people a certain way and appeal to a higher authority

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Catholicism: who even knows

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That church wine doesn't taste like blood, but it is loving rank. The wafers are pretty nice tho

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean I also grew up catholic, and was a know-it-all edgy Carl Sagan reading poindexter who liked to antagonise priests, and I got multiple different priests to kinda-sorta say it was a metaphor, so it's whatever. Nobody actually believes that poo poo, but then again I don't think 99% of religious folk believe much of it, they just like having licence to treat people a certain way and appeal to a higher authority

:rolleyes: so you never grew past that did you.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

There's a Catholic priest who does videos on YouTube, and it was kind of funny watching him squirm around when someone asked him if gay people went to hell. He kept saying "god judges your actions, not your thoughts." Basically being gay is ok if you never have gay sex lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

:rolleyes: so you never grew past that did you.

Didn't see the point tbh

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You're just eating the part of Christ that is made of crackers and wine. Modern chemistry put the spotlight on the practice and still gives that out because we are all basically made out of crackers and wine, if you squint.

I think they just want to be difficult though because I think when presented with this chemical out they still double down and say nope it's muscle and blood.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

the holy poopacy posted:

Was talking to my wife the other night about slang terms for penis and it came up that roger used to be (and maybe still is in Britain?) a much more widespread euphemism before being largely replaced by dick.

I just realized what Roger De Bris' name in the Producers was a joke about :gizz:

It's old fashioned slang I think but my gf and I think it's really funny for some reason and use it as an injoke. We also use 'johnson' for both male and female equipment so "Yeah! Roger his/her johnson! Get it!" is common when encouraging people on tv to bone down

e: oh I read this as roger being a euphemism for sex, not penis. I'd never heard of a johnson being referred to as a roger hehe

Laopooh has a new favorite as of 22:02 on May 5, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

exquisite tea posted:

It's been a really long time since I learned this and I hope I'm remembering it mostly correctly but I think it has something to do with platonic essences.

Like, what makes something a chair (instead of something else entirely or something similar like a stool) isn't things like the number of legs it has or whether it has back or not, etc. Those things are all "accidental" properties. What makes a chair a char is that it contains some metaphysical essence of chairness.

So with transubstantiation the physical, "accidental" qualities remain the same but the metaphysical essence of "breadness" and "wineness" has been somehow swapped out with "Christ's Bodyness" and "Christs' Bloodness"

How? I don't know. It's God, shut up.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

rydiafan posted:

My church as a kid passed around trays with little plastic shot glasses. Grape juice was in the middle and wine was around the outside.
We did that too. I think I remember it being for some combination of kids/recovering alcoholics?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's a thing in cities too I guess, or at least the one I live in :psyduck: how did I never notice this

e: numbers running north/south and letters/names running east/west, I mean, not Confederate general names

NYC is even and odd I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uD-akXggZA

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

When i first moved to Seattle, someone told me that the reason the streets were so weird is because they were designed by two people who hated each other. And I was like "haha, funny".

Much later I learned that no, that was actually pretty much the case. Except there were three guys and three layouts: due north, 32 degrees west of north, and 49 degrees west of north

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_layout_of_Seattle

They went with "all of the above" so the grids just kind of mash into each other

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

a kitten posted:

When i first moved to Seattle, someone told me that the reason the streets were so weird is because they were designed by two people who hated each other. And I was like "haha, funny".

Much later I learned that no, that was actually pretty much the case. Except there were three guys and three layouts: due north, 32 degrees west of north, and 49 degrees west of north

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_layout_of_Seattle

They went with "all of the above" so the grids just kind of mash into each other

This article also provide some mnemonics for navigating!

STreets run eaST and weST
aveNueS run North and South
EveN numbered addresses are on the East and North side of the road (which is likely called a street or avenue)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's like some stalactite/stalagmite poo poo taken up a few levels

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Laopooh posted:

e: oh I read this as roger being a euphemism for sex, not penis. I'd never heard of a johnson being referred to as a roger hehe

Roger that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Laopooh posted:

It's old fashioned slang I think but my gf and I think it's really funny for some reason and use it as an injoke. We also use 'johnson' for both male and female equipment so "Yeah! Roger his/her johnson! Get it!" is common when encouraging people on tv to bone down

Roger is an euphemism for sex in the UK, though an old one now.
Todger is the slang name for a penis there.

"My todger is ready to roger!"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sadly we'll never know for sure, out here, because that vid is blocked in Australia.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

exquisite tea posted:

Is this how they explain away all that male biological matter in the digestive system?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Me, at some point 15 years ago: "Saia is a weird name for a company... ah, it's 'Asia' backwards, of course"

Me, just now: "Wait a minute"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's just the founders name

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Their name is asia backwards?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, founded by sdrawkcab aisa Sr. In 1904

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Chad Jihad posted:

Me, at some point 15 years ago: "Saia is a weird name for a company... ah, it's 'Asia' backwards, of course"

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how the covid-19 reporting site https://91-divoc.com/ got its name .....

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how the covid-19 reporting site https://91-divoc.com/ got its name .....

ooooooh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just lol if you don't automatically reverse weird names in your head because damned if you're going to be fooled by the old Alucard trick

You've got to wake up pretty early in the morning to put one over on me, Mr Utarefson, and in fact I'll bet you don't wake up in the morning at all

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

Alucard

gently caress

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Alucard?

More like Alukrod

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just reading a very old novel and god drat I get it now.

“The penny drops” is a shortened version of “the light will come on when the penny drops” - you would put a penny in the meter and the gas lighting would come on.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hyperlynx posted:

Sadly we'll never know for sure, out here, because that vid is blocked in Australia.

A vacuum of humour and charisma, you’re not missing anything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Saia the trucking company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
There is some serious product placement in The Wire

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2008-07-25-0807240117-story.html

Underarmour all over these police

I didn't notice it the first time but Kima and uh someone else is rocking that logo