Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I was getting into NiN retroactively (ie started listening to them in early 00's and was mostly listening to Downward Spiral and Broken continuously). With Teeth was the first new album they released when I started getting into them and while I liked some songs (and outright loved Beside you in time, Right were it Belongs and line begins to blur) I wasn't too crazy on the album. That being said the first time I saw NiN live was in support of the album and the show was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Love Is Not Enough is the worst NIN song but I think the rest of the album is pretty good!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Regardless of the music though, I hope we can all agree the glitch aesthetic loving owns. The pixel tendrils and digital video distortion are rad.

Though my favorite design era overall is definitely the David Carson fragile era stuff.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is criminal we have yet to get the soundtrack for Operation Varsity Blue.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1389976605968134148

e: Also, new ixi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSxJxHa4YK4

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 5, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Beside You in Time is a rad song

for real. i wish a bunch of those kinda aimless songs in the middle of the album were replaced by songs that followed that direction, because BYIT is fuckin cool

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Slip is easily my least favorite NIN album. I keep forgetting it exists which is its biggest sin, but I will also go to my grave convinced it’s mostly a bunch of tuned up leftovers from other projects.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it has demon seed though so it can’t be the worst????

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not big on Hesitation Marks and especially The Slip. I was pretty happy with the 3 EPs though so I'm interested in what's next.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Make a video of this image with Everything as the soundtrack and put it on YouTube. Profit.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
At the very least The Slip was free so it gets points there.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

What's the image after the Demon Seed one? Never seen it before

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I like the slip more than with teeth and maybe year zero

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Discipline is a banger even if it's a little... strange lyrically. 1,000,000, Echoplex, and Letting You, and Head Down definitely all feel like YZ castoffs but that's not to say bad.
It's all kinda worth it for the last third starting with Lights in the Sky fading into Corona Radiata.

Also wikipedia claims it was original planned as an EP which makes sense why it feels fleshed out with some old castoff material but none of it is bad, it just... is very disparate stylistically. It feels like the Nails equivalent of a G-sides album or Tom Waits' orphans albums.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have a hard time taking Discipline seriously for some odd reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ZMKfFHU3U

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pretty good posted:

What's the image after the Demon Seed one? Never seen it before

The NIN logo.

Also Head Down was one of my favorite of that album, but I didn't see it played live at the concert I saw. Other fun thing for me is I found out my wife went to that concert too before we met each other.

I consider The Slip to be the last good album. Only the latest Ghosts album from last year has been bad, but the three EPs have been a little subpar compared to the rest of his catalog.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wasn't there a note with the slip when it went up that pretty much said "this is the first time I've ever made a full album collaboratively and we did it in like a month so it's free?" Cause it's not a great album but it was the right price.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

My dad loves the song Discipline and he normally hates the music I listen to so that alone gives The Slip brownie points in my book.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wasn't there a note with the slip when it went up that pretty much said "this is the first time I've ever made a full album collaboratively and we did it in like a month so it's free?" Cause it's not a great album but it was the right price.

That sounds like the first Ghosts album. They gave out the first "volume" (so like 6 tracks) for free.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

IUG posted:

That sounds like the first Ghosts album. They gave out the first "volume" (so like 6 tracks) for free.

Both The Slip and Ghosts I-IV were free. There was a Ghosts EP before the full release.

Wikipedia says The Slip was thrown together in three weeks. It felt like an excuse to go on tour to me. Learning that it was supposed to be an EP explains a few things.

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
New song is up streaming.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W2E6jNXzBE

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

jtr posted:

New song is up streaming.

I want it all now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i'd like one ep please.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is going to get lost in the new song chat (listening now) but my favorite song off of The Slip has been "the four of us are dying" since I first heard it. There's just something I absolutely love about that bassline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_tsfCpYKdU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

IUG posted:

The NIN logo.
Haha oh poo poo drat. Neat.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

New song whips rear end, I've never heard of Health what should I listen to if I want more like this

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

All of their albums but especially the last two most recent

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I also like their max payne 3 ost work

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Hot drat what a loving fantastic song.

Pretty good posted:

New song whips rear end, I've never heard of Health what should I listen to if I want more like this

I was introduced to HEALTH when they opened for NIN, and they were promoting Get Color back then, so that's the album I always think of first for them. Start there and move forward, imo.

Having never heard a single thing from the band, them walking out and dropping this stunning track on me made me a fan forever.

EDIT:

Tried to transcribe the lyrics but they're very hard to hear in a couple places.

TRENT
I've been watching drown(?)
I will light the match and burn it all down
You profit addicting seeping at yourselves (I legit have no idea what this lyric is)
All the little piggies cannot help themselves

CHORUS: J & T
just stop pretending
you feel the same
nothing matters
we're all to blame
we've all surrendered
to those we serve
we get the world
we all deserve

JAKE
you feed (think?) eternity again
you think we'll turn away
I wanna know your bit in this
death is real

you think we're turning into you
you think you got away
we wanna know your bit in this
where do we go

OUTRO J & T
Are you alone?
Isn't everyone?

Caseman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 6, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pretty good posted:

Get Color and Death Magic both rule, and the singles they put out between those albums (USA Boys (recorded in T.Rez's home studio) and High Pressure Days) are amazing. I think losing Jupiter Keyes severely impacted their most recent album for the worse but ymmv

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is 90s Trent

Holy poo poo

Also definitely listen to Max Payne 3 OST

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This whips rear end

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

THIS IS SO GOOD :supaburn:

Pretty good posted:

I got into them when they released the Max Payne 3 soundtrack, and I also love Death Magic and Slaves of Fear. Never really listened to their first 2 albums, admittedly. I've seen them live a few times now and they put on a hell of a show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iJRgGn2-s0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qvEr9bC6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_dedjucgM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4CljCTSYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwijYShLDJM

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve only seen HEALTH live once (opening for NIN, obvs) but I was at the front of the stage (I believe it was in Boston and seated with no actual floor) and it was great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just noticed that Hesitation Marks isn't on Spotify anymore which is kind of strange. I remember listening to it....last year for the first time in a long time and I thought Trent was trying some different sounds and styles, most of which didn't work, but props for that I guess. Also Everything is such a weird freaking song.

Slip has some bangers and is definitely good for the price it came with. Did feel like some leftovers though (which isn't a bad thing but wasn't really anything new).

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

Madkal posted:

I just noticed that Hesitation Marks isn't on Spotify anymore which is kind of strange. I remember listening to it....last year for the first time in a long time and I thought Trent was trying some different sounds and styles, most of which didn't work, but props for that I guess. Also Everything is such a weird freaking song.

Slip has some bangers and is definitely good for the price it came with. Did feel like some leftovers though (which isn't a bad thing but wasn't really anything new).

The Deluxe Edition is HM is on Spotify for me?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jtr posted:

The Deluxe Edition is HM is on Spotify for me?
Yeah, I just checked and it's there for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weird. I am checking now and it goes from The Slip to Bad Witch. Wonder if it's a Canadian thing.