Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

guidoanselmi posted:

Nope.

But some searching shows that other Avast users having a similar issue getting updates from Steam. Probably a false positive because everything else seems a little far-fetched.

the update method of this game loving sucks two time i had to re download almost half of the game because something stupid happened.

after that i downloaded the disco elysium steam patch and everything worked just fine

i just read the news on the witcher 3 director: now we also know witcher 4 is going to suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

codo27 posted:

I'd like to see a documentary about dev culture back in the 90s compared to what its become since ~2005-7 when gaming became just another soulless money making venture

I'll have to search for it, but I was reading a thread on twitter with people talking about working in game development in the 80's - one guy told a story about how a programmer he knew was worked to the point where he checked himself into a mental hospital to get a break and as soon as his boss found out he pretended to be his family to try to check him out and get him back to work. There was never a point where it wasn't a soulless money making venture.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The entertainment industry across the world is pretty drat terrible. While there’s a screen actors guild the exploitation of all other staff on set is pretty bad and has permeated into the visual effects area. The guy that accepted the effects award for Life of Pi was shooed off of stage almost immediately after talking about his studio going into bankruptcy while they normally let every other A list actor talk about all sorts of random social issues - almost anything besides criticizing the movie and TV industry’s practices in itself (although Lupita Nyongo seems to have breached this years ago).

Which leads me back to games. Games aren’t that dissimilar from movie effects studios to me as businesses it seems given what I’ve heard from behind the glitzy pixels on screen. But we don’t see the effects crews thrown under the bus as much as directors and actors in the public eye, and that makes games probably even more stressful when things go bad yet much better when you do succeed.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Zeta Acosta posted:

i just read the news on the witcher 3 director: now we also know witcher 4 is going to suck

Who was seen by some as a major workplace bully. Yeah internally he was found innocent, but he still resigned and apologized which I think shows some growth at least.

Which brings up an interesting question of what if sometimes major assholes are talented?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Who was seen by some as a major workplace bully. Yeah internally he was found innocent, but he still resigned and apologized which I think shows some growth at least.

Which brings up an interesting question of what if sometimes major assholes are talented?

If you want, look up the stuff about Chris Avellone. It caused alot of people to re-evaluate some of the writing of the games he was involved with.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They would invariably be better managers, leaders, producers, or [whatever] than they are by being assholes.

Not to mention being better people.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Kokoro Wish posted:

If you want, look up the stuff about Chris Avellone. It caused alot of people to re-evaluate some of the writing of the games he was involved with.
See also: Alexis Kennedy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I don't care how talented they are, narcissists and bullies get the airlock.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

the update method of this game loving sucks two time i had to re download almost half of the game because something stupid happened.

after that i downloaded the disco elysium steam patch and everything worked just fine

Surely every game on Steam uses the same patching method. Or are you talking about GOG vs Steam?

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 5, 2021

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The EA Spouse letter was what, 2004?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 5, 2021

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I hope someone will share more of the Tomaszkiewicz' bullying accusations. Hopefully we'll get someone else beside Jason Schreier to do those kind of articles, nothing against him just wish there was more people industry pros could contact with those issues.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Bought this on sale, don't hate it. The gameplay, story, and open world are fun and interesting, which is more than can be said for GTAV. Janky, sure, but honestly less than I expected considering this is a massive open-world RPG.

The Before I Play wiki doesn't have much; I have the iconic katana and pistol from the Heist so I'm planning on a basic cyborg ninja build (stealth, blades, handguns). Any first-timer tips?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
In order to win, try to avoid dying.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

Bought this on sale, don't hate it. The gameplay, story, and open world are fun and interesting, which is more than can be said for GTAV. Janky, sure, but honestly less than I expected considering this is a massive open-world RPG.

The Before I Play wiki doesn't have much; I have the iconic katana and pistol from the Heist so I'm planning on a basic cyborg ninja build (stealth, blades, handguns). Any first-timer tips?

Steal bikes, they handle better than cars.
Kill every Tyger Claw and low level gang member you find. Scan em and kill em. Rack up that street cred.

If you find gear that looks cool but doesn't have great stats, put some points into crafting and you can improve your gear.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just keep in mind that upgrading an item costs more and more material- eventually it'll be impractical to keep up with things you're finding because drops scale to your level

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

gently caress 'em.

Being good at what you do and not being an rear end in a top hat is the greater talent.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

As you level up Reflexes, keep an eye out for time dilation cyberware, slow mo is fun in this game: Synaptic Accelerator, Reflex Tuner. If you like that, ditch your deck and go full Sandevistan instead. Goes really well with Reflexes and Cool.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

codo27 posted:

Soooo are the boxing missions a waste of loving time, just another broken piece of poo poo in this game? Holy gently caress, think you're well clear of an attack then the guy loving magnetizes to you directly from midair.

That quest line finishes in the most lazy way possible.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Vagabundo posted:

Just started act 2, only died once so far! :)

Speaking of which, is there any general utility to non-lethal takedowns, outside of specific instances? (e.g. the quest where the Buddhist monk wants you to rescue his brother without murder)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

This post is underrated.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Tenzarin posted:

That quest line finishes in the most lazy way possible.

I know you didn't mean this personally (probably?) but man, "lazy"? Really? I dunno how people read about a compressed development and years of crunch and the best explanation they can think of for something they don't like is laziness.

I dunno, seems like a lazy assumption.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

This post is underrated.

MAybe in 1992.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Captain Walker posted:

Just started act 2, only died once so far! :)

:respek:

Captain Walker posted:

Speaking of which, is there any general utility to non-lethal takedowns, outside of specific instances? (e.g. the quest where the Buddhist monk wants you to rescue his brother without murder)

Some gigs require "discretion," (i.e., the client wants a zero body count), and you can get bonus eddies from the fixer.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I know you didn't mean this personally (probably?) but man, "lazy"? Really? I dunno how people read about a compressed development and years of crunch and the best explanation they can think of for something they don't like is laziness.

I dunno, seems like a lazy assumption.

The grand champion boxing match of the streets that takes place in public in the cyber city of the future takes place at a run down mall and the ring ropes are not even up.

In fact the ring ropes are just laying on the ground because they reused the run down mall because the game is a rushed pile of trash.

Yes, this quest line is a text book example of a lazy quest, in a game of nothing but lazy quests after the prologue.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 6, 2021

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Tenzarin posted:

The grand champion boxing match of the streets that takes place in public in the cyber city of the future takes place at a run down mall and the ring ropes are not even up.

In fact the ring ropes are just laying on the ground because they reused the run down mall because the game is a rushed pile of trash.

Yes, this quest line is a text book example of a lazy quest, in a game of nothing but lazy quests after the prologue.

oh christ

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh no no no no

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And thinking about this quest line really makes me wonder why your coach is/acts like V's friend but he sets V up for the worst matched fights ever. Like some of the fights are way out of V's weight class. And I can't even understand why this fighter would need to prove themselves on the street again. Or even that having the fighter beat up scrawny rear end V would even prove anything.

All I can think of it's like Kimbo Slice getting named the street fighting champion via youtube after he beats up two fat guys at a boat supply yard in Miami.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 6, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Coach think he's sending the V with hydraulic fists to each boxing match, not the V with the rice noodle arms and hacking mods.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
cyberpunk 2077: kimbo slice life simulator

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The laziest aspect of this game IMO is the absence of voice recordings. Even when you find files labeled “archived conversation” it’s just text.

I don’t expect everything to be audio but some lore-content here and there with voice acting would be fun. Even Fallout 4 did that.

I’m guessing it’s due to file size more than anything else.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

BigglesSWE posted:

The laziest aspect of this game IMO is the absence of voice recordings. Even when you find files labeled “archived conversation” it’s just text.

I don’t expect everything to be audio but some lore-content here and there with voice acting would be fun. Even Fallout 4 did that.

I’m guessing it’s due to file size more than anything else.

OK so what I mean when I say that "laziness" is a lazy and almost always wrong criticism... like, how much do you think VO costs? Can you not think of a single reason why all the text doesn't have full VO than laziness? I mean, that's hundreds and hundreds of hours of studio time, plus editing, plus the added difficulty that once you have the VO, rewrites become much harder, so now you have a production issue (VO needs to come late enough in the project so that there's time to do rewrites, but the entire project keeps moving so who knows when "late enough" is).

Or the thing about putting the ropes at the gym up (jfc), how long do you think it takes to do? If it were a hollywood set it would take 10m. But it's not, those ropes are static meshes, so someone needs to make static mesh versions of the ropes, that takes time, then someone needs to put them in, that takes time, then someone needs to make it so that you can climb over them, that takes more time. And then you have the issue of the static mesh ropes not really looking very good when you bump into them, shouldn't they move? Maybe they should respond to physics, well now everything becomes exponentially more complex because they aren't static anymore, they react to the world, which means it's easier for them to break and takes much longer to make and test.

You have a problem with re-used locations? Do you have any idea how long it takes to make a location like that, to implement on it, to *test* it. Everything has a cost, *everything*, and it's vastly more than you imagine.

Laziness.

*Not all of this is directed at the quoted post, I hope that's clear

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it totally makes sense to add 400 hours of “hey choom you get the stuff?” audio to the game, that will definitely help with my immersion

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I guess ya’ll missed when I said I didn’t expect everything to have VA.

Just something here and there, sprinkled throughout would make wonders, I think.

This isn’t rocket science: most games don’t have VA for every log entry or whatever. But a lot of the games that include some amount of lore writing (Prey, Dishonored franchise, Fallout, to mention a few) have a select instances of them throughout the game. I expected something like that in this game and didn’t get it. Not game ruining, not even close, but I was disappointed.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 6, 2021

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

BigglesSWE posted:

I guess ya’ll missed when I said I didn’t expect everything to have VA.

Just something here and there, sprinkled throughout would make wonders, I think.

This isn’t rocket science: most games don’t have VA for every log entry or whatever. But a lot of the games that include some amount of lore writing (Prey, Dishonored franchise, Fallout, to mention a few) have a select instances of them throughout the game. I expected something like that in this game and didn’t get it. Not game ruining, not even close, but I was disappointed.

That's a much better way to say it than to ascribe it to laziness. No part of this game or any other should be free from criticism, and personally, I'd have loved to have more VO for the shards. I didn't fail include VO for them because I couldn't be bothered, and I think it's bullshit to say so.

As they say in therapy, use your "I" statements.

*I'm being a little flippant but there's no animosity here, I don't really take it personally when I see that, it's just a long-running gripe I have with games discourse.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The game wasn't lazy. It was poorly designed, cdpr oversold it to death, they legit lied about how bad ran on current hardware and launched straight up broken.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The voice acting is truly horrendous, as if all the lines were recorded independent of each other with no context.

quote:

If you're playing a pc game, then your main character will be some utterly generic, homogenized boring guy voiced by the same jackass who reads out movie previews:

"In a world gone mad... where the hunted has become the hunted... one man stands alone... a rogue adventurer, setting out to participate in particularly rogue things... he must avenge his father's death while saving the world from the dreaded evil wizard Latrino of the Blue Disk Clan... can he save the world... before he destroys himself?"

It's also noteworthy that when a pc RPG employs voice acting, even the biggest and most capable stars lose all talent the moment they step into the recording room. When you hear your character being voiced by Mark Hamill halfheartedly mutter "I can't take any chances, I must track Dorfgannon down before more innocent lives are lost," the sense that he's really thinking "I was Luke loving Skywalker, I used to bang Harrison Ford and now I'm doing this poo poo" is frighteningly palpable. If the game is a port from a Japanese title, there's a chance that the English dub may be fatal.
https://www.somethingawful.com/guides/guide-how-survive/1/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Counterpoint: the voice acting seems mostly fine to me :shrug:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The voice acting has some weird changes in audio volume and intonations. Probably they were recording things to the last minute.
Another lie cdpr told Is that the game was finished in April 2020. I wonder what they had at that point

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zephro posted:

Counterpoint: the voice acting seems mostly fine to me :shrug:

compared to W3 its a huge step down, same for like facial animations and poo poo. everyone still mentions the moment yen's heart breaks if you reject her, or geralt's reaction to finding ciri. that ain't in this game. its not like, andromeda bad or anything, but just like every other part of the game, all of the soul got ripped out

Zeta Acosta posted:

The voice acting has some weird changes in audio volume and intonations. Probably they were recording things to the last minute.
Another lie cdpr told Is that the game was finished in April 2020. I wonder what they had at that point

a sketchpad that had drawings about wallrunning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
This game work best in the character moments . Hopefully the DLCs are short storys with intimate moments between V and other characters.
The open world setting was the death kiss of this game