Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I noticed iznagi objects in the english title of the stage 4 theme. Makes sense because they're parts of the tectonic plate that made Japan (...I think? been a while) and a big part of this game is mining, but I wonder if there are any other oblique references to the album stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I noticed iznagi objects in the english title of the stage 4 theme. Makes sense because they're parts of the tectonic plate that made Japan (...I think? been a while) and a big part of this game is mining, but I wonder if there are any other oblique references to the album stories.

Izanagi Objects are kind of relevant to the story because the Dragon Gems that magatama and cards are made from are Izanagi Objects. Or technically "Izanagi materials". Reimu's secret ending is her just talking to Misumaru (the stage 4 boss) about them. Basically they are "unnamed" matter from the Age of the Gods that, because they have never been possessed by a human or given a name, still retain their primeval properties, which is that they contain power equivalent to that of the gods. Reimu's Yin-Yang Orb is also made from Izanagi material, and in fact Misumaru is the one who originally made it (she is super smug about this, and also smug about everything else). Supposedly Dragon Gems are one of the more harmless varieties and we're lucky that the mine hasn't dug up anything worse yet. There's a bit of Dug Too Deep vibe to it. IE: everyone is trying to make a profit off of something beyond their understanding, and maybe that's a bad thing.

In general, Misumaru is presented as an extremely mysterious person who knows more about the true situation than anyone else, and also no one recognizes her or knows where she might have come from. She's kind of set up to be more important to the series going forward than she was in this game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 5, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The spin off game that was meant to come out last year was about striking oil, right? Wonder if it was meant to coincide with this, the game about dangerously mining for gems.

Clarste posted:

Izanagi Objects are kind of relevant to the story because the Dragon Gems that magatama and cards are made from are Izanagi Objects. Or technically "Izanagi materials". Reimu's secret ending is her just talking to Misumaru (the stage 4 boss) about them. Basically they are "unnamed" matter from the Age of the Gods that, because they have never been possessed by a human or given a name, still retain their primeval properties, which is that they contain power equivalent to that of the gods. Reimu's Yin-Yang Orb is also made from Izanagi material, and in fact Misumaru is the one who originally made it (she is super smug about this, and also smug about everything else). Supposedly Dragon Gems are one of the more harmless varieties and we're lucky that the mine hasn't dug up anything worse yet. There's a bit of Dug Too Deep theme to it. IE: everyone is trying to make a profit off of something beyond their understanding, and maybe that's a bad thing.

In general, Misumaru is presented as an extremely mysterious person who knows more about the true situation than anyone else, and also no one recognizes her or knows where she might have come from. She's kind of set up to be more important to the series going forward than she was in this game.

Considering she made the hakurei treasured yingyang orb that definitely puts her high on the secretly important list. I hope she interacts with Okina in the future or something and be smugly mysterious to each other.

Also: you mentioned secret endings? Do you need to beat the game with certain item cards or something?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

rannum posted:

Also: you mentioned secret endings? Do you need to beat the game with certain item cards or something?

You have to beat the game with only the Blank White Card, which is the final boss's card that unlocks when you beat the game once. When you buy it in the shop it deletes all your other cards (because her power is to dispossess people of their possessions), so basically it's a challenge run where you clear stage 6 without any cards. There's no RNG about it at least: once you unlock it it's always available in the shop.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
One of the nice things about when I update the OP is how little I actually have to change of it since ZUN's still strongly on his anticapitalist stride atm it whips

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Clarste posted:

New youkai sage dropped imo.

Makes sense she made the yin-yang orb, I thought for sure it'd be another "stage 4 boss changes depending on who you play as" gimmick when I first played as Reimu, and was really confused when it was the same as everyone else. Turns out there's a reason.

Also I hope we see Sannyo's gambling den at some point. Feels like something that could come up in Lotus Eaters. She's probably my favorite newcomer.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 5, 2021

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/stroobnami/status/1389575786458406918

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk78EtCvwXQ

Power stacking can get pretty wacky. When you take out any dialog or menuing I think this is like 10 minutes for an extra stage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

rannum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk78EtCvwXQ

Power stacking can get pretty wacky. When you take out any dialog or menuing I think this is like 10 minutes for an extra stage.

My understanding is that the centipede card is just super OP on its own. But you also need to beat Extra before you can unlock it at all. It also stacks with other powers, but that's not really the issue here. It's like the super weapon you get for beating the secret boss that kills the final boss in one hit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the god of ebay is mad business is slow so she invents yugioh

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm Very Bad at these games but I'm having a lot of fun with UM, the cards are a super neat gimmick this time around. I like that it adds a roguelike-y feel to the game? Like, even on runs where I gently caress up so bad I need to continue, I tend to press on anyways just to see if I can unlock any new stuff in the shop, and the run doesn't feel wasted.

on a related note, while I was able to beat Easy way quicker than I have any previous game, Normal is still kicking my rear end. Sannyo!! :argh:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Sannyo's nonspells are legit harder than most of the patterns in any of the later stages imo. The light-purple and yellow bullets blend in just enough with the bright background too. My skill level has always straddled between normal and hard depending on the game and I had a similar experience. Breezed through normal without too much trouble but hard has been an unexpected roadblock, mostly due to Sannyo and Misumaru. Chimata feels like one of the easiest final bosses in a while, even if I waste 2-3 bombs on her survival spell every time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm Very Bad at these games but I'm having a lot of fun with UM, the cards are a super neat gimmick this time around. I like that it adds a roguelike-y feel to the game? Like, even on runs where I gently caress up so bad I need to continue, I tend to press on anyways just to see if I can unlock any new stuff in the shop, and the run doesn't feel wasted.

on a related note, while I was able to beat Easy way quicker than I have any previous game, Normal is still kicking my rear end. Sannyo!! :argh:

I think even more than any other Touhou game, this is a resource game. There are many ways to stock up on lives, bombs, or to use other resources as bombs, etc. Or I guess you could go for max damage so you have to dodge less.

That said, one important thing to note is that seeing any of the hidden endings permanently unlocks a third card slot to start with, which is huge. You can do that on Easy without much trouble, at least.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Clarste posted:

I think even more than any other Touhou game, this is a resource game. There are many ways to stock up on lives, bombs, or to use other resources as bombs, etc. Or I guess you could go for max damage so you have to dodge less.

That said, one important thing to note is that seeing any of the hidden endings permanently unlocks a third card slot to start with, which is huge. You can do that on Easy without much trouble, at least.
Yeah, I found that out yesterday

That said, I'm not sure more resources helps - I went into sannyo with 3 spare lives, tanuki/wolf cards for power, and ultramarine orb elixir as insurance, and I still lost. She's really strong for a stage 3 boss!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

That said, I'm not sure more resources helps - I went into sannyo with 3 spare lives, tanuki/wolf cards for power, and ultramarine orb elixir as insurance, and I still lost. She's really strong for a stage 3 boss!

Collecting attack power cards is the opposite of gaming for resources. You can get to her with max lives and bombs if you get lucky and buy the right cards. At which point you just bomb through literally everything; it shouldn't take more than one life even if you literally cannot dodge a single attack. Byakuren's Sutra Scroll also helps a ridiculous amount if you're bombing a lot.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 6, 2021

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Clarste posted:

Oh wait, you can unlock the third card slot on easy? I've tried on normal and died on the last 10% of Chimata's final spellcard :negative:

Also, what do you mean by "hidden endings" plural? I know there's one for clearing stage 6 after purchasing the blank card in stage 5, but there are others?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bemused Observer posted:

Oh wait, you can unlock the third card slot on easy? I've tried on normal and died on the last 10% of Chimata's final spellcard :negative:

Also, what do you mean by "hidden endings" plural? I know there's one for clearing stage 6 after purchasing the blank card in stage 5, but there are others?

I just meant there's a hidden ending for each character. So four total.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Ah, cool. Also, thus far I'm liking this entry much more than the previous one, and not just because I really disliked the goast mechanic (see also, UFO, a game which I would absolutely love if I wasn't so terrible at gathering the UFOs).

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Aurora_Artz/status/1390726708744101888

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pin it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I am similarly much more excited to be playing this game than the last one. The market mechanic is a really cool way to mix things up from game to game. Canceling bullets to get money is a a lot of fun. I haven't seen too many visibility issues with bullets either, which I struggled with a bit recent Touhou games. I'm looking forward to playing it more.

My only criticism would be that none of the music has really stuck with me so far. Maybe I'll start liking it more as I continue playing.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

nrook posted:

My only criticism would be that none of the music has really stuck with me so far. Maybe I'll start liking it more as I continue playing.
I follow several Touhou arrangers on Twitter and one of them posted an article about their impression of the music. The gist was that it followed ZUN's general trend of making his music less lyrical and more like traditional game music, which could also affect the kind of arrangements that come out of this game.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
new touhou music always takes a few plays to really get drilled into my head. more melodic and less lyrical is very true. touhou stages are very musical and rhythmic so I tend to learn how the songs go just by playing the stage a lot.

speaking of which, beat extra :toot:. ex boss theme is as good as always.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/kastelwrites/status/1391607311290888192

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/touhouLW_Global/status/1392034285213798401

Lost Word is out. Looks like another Good Smile branded mobile game. The music seems catchy but the characterizations seem a bit off. Well, it's not like Zun wrote it.

If you plan on picking it up at some point, then it might be worth picking it up soon. There seem to be a lot of mailbox bonuses due to hitting preregistration goals, but those bonuses look set to expire in early June.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The rate-up banner is just Youmu so it honestly seems to be a bad idea to dump anything into the game right now unless you just love Youmu the most (which, statistically speaking, you do. I guess).

Personally I'm not really interested in any of the available characters right now (other than the main 3 that they're giving away for free), so I'm just going to sit on this game until some new banners start coming out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i'll have the best kosuzu ever!11

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I got Unconnected Marketeers on steam.

Sorry to ask these dumb questions, I swear I googled this poo poo and am still confused. My past experience with touhou games is so little I'm basically a new player. What are spell cards and how do I use them? Is it something I pick up on screen during gameplay that powers me up for a moment? And ability cards, How do I switch ability cards, and do I have to obtain ability cards everytime I boot up the game? Is there any available recommended english patch for the game as well. Thanks for the help yo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I looked up a tier list for last word and apparently Suika is top tier which is a good sign but Joon is bottom tier so it is very hard to tell whether the game is good or not.

Anyway game seems fine. It's not the type of game I'd play if it wasn't Touhou but the same goes for a lot of fangames. Writing starts like weirdly expository because they feel the need to explain Gensokyo and i'm not sure it's necessary though maybe there's more people being introduced to the series with this than I think. But in general story feels like reading a lighthearted doujin or something and it's not a bad vibe. Although they translated danmaku and it's super weird.

Also you get your first 5 star immediately, so rerolling is very simple and that's very appreciated.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Every 10 roll gives you a guaranteed char as well, so I think I'll keep at this for a while. Definitely wondering when some of my favorites are coming out though.

Edit: I missed that it was only paid currency, oops.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 11, 2021

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

EAB posted:

I got Unconnected Marketeers on steam.

Sorry to ask these dumb questions, I swear I googled this poo poo and am still confused. My past experience with touhou games is so little I'm basically a new player. What are spell cards and how do I use them? Is it something I pick up on screen during gameplay that powers me up for a moment? And ability cards, How do I switch ability cards, and do I have to obtain ability cards everytime I boot up the game? Is there any available recommended english patch for the game as well. Thanks for the help yo

Most translations are done through THCRAP nowadays, but they haven't completely finished the translation for UM yet. Still, you can download the patcher from there, the setup is pretty simple and there are guides on the site. As for your other questions:
  • Spellcards are "bombs" and most of them clear the screen of bullets. If you use one while a boss is casting a spellcard (one of those specialiazed patterns with a name), you'll fail to "capture" the spellcard and don't get any bonus points, but remember that survival is more important in the beginning
  • Ability cards are unique for UM: you have to buy them with the yellow money tokens in every game.You can choose one card before starting a new game by pressing the down button on the character selection screen and any previously bought cards will show up on there. By clearing the game once, you also get the option to choose two cards. Apparently you can also get to choose three cards if you get an alternative ending, which you get by buying a special card at the end? Not entirely sure how it works since I haven't played the full version for myself yet.

edit: Oh, and if you haven't changed any of your buttons, spellcards/bombs are activated with X and active cards are activated with C. Some ability cards are active all the time though: passive cards slightly change the game (like expanding your collection radius or making you stronger) while equipment cards give you an optional shot type while firing (like Reimu's homing bullets or Cirno's spread shot).

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 11, 2021

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

The rate-up banner is just Youmu so it honestly seems to be a bad idea to dump anything into the game right now unless you just love Youmu the most (which, statistically speaking, you do. I guess).

Personally I'm not really interested in any of the available characters right now (other than the main 3 that they're giving away for free), so I'm just going to sit on this game until some new banners start coming out.

Youmu can easily carry an account for the first 3 months so they know what they're doing. I don't think she had a banner just for her at launch in JP.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I can finally be a girl in gensokyo I'm ecstatic

This has been the dream for me for 14 years now

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 11, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/CakeSenpai50/status/1391929440201019393

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spoilers

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

How grindy does Lost Word get? I’m juggling too many gachas as-is, but I need to support my friendly neighborhood gardener.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

confirmed

https://twitter.com/egf6best/status/1392164885379764224?s=19

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

It seems the real Mima was inside us all along.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Sharkitten posted:

I can finally be a girl in gensokyo I'm ecstatic

This has been the dream for me for 14 years now
imagine needing a mobile game to do so instead of simply astral projecting in your sleep

#RealSumirekoHours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

by warugaki