Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Tace Vim posted:

watching season 1 of Fringe. it's pretty good so far for an episodic show. I didn't realize John Noble, the actor who plays Walter Bishop was born in South Australia. he looks really familiar

It does get a lot less episodic through the first few seasons (I've been binging it too, up to s5e4 now) but it never loses it completely and does some kind of fun things with it. Overall I like the show a lot but mainly because of the characters rather than the actual plot/storytelling. Like toward the end of s3 Olivia figures out that Peter had been searching out and murdering shapeshifters and then covering it up and lying about it. But a split second later Belly takes over her consciousness and that particular subplot is completely dropped. The writers went out of their way to humanize some of the shifters so we might give a poo poo about Peter killing them, then they just never ever mention his little bloodthirsty streak ever again (so far). But I still love all the characters. Peter and Olivia are cool, but Walter and Astrid are still the best.

I'm a little disappointed season 5 is what it is so far. It took my least favorite episode of the first 4 seasons and then made the show all about that. But again, the characters are still fun and it's not like I'm hating the show all the sudden, it's just not what I was hoping for. Seems like the consensus is that the show sticks the landing pretty well so I'm excited to see what they do the rest of this season. The show isn't perfect, very few are, but for me it hovers around the good to very good mark.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Inspector 34 posted:

It does get a lot less episodic through the first few seasons (I've been binging it too, up to s5e4 now) but it never loses it completely and does some kind of fun things with it. Overall I like the show a lot but mainly because of the characters rather than the actual plot/storytelling. Like toward the end of s3 Olivia figures out that Peter had been searching out and murdering shapeshifters and then covering it up and lying about it. But a split second later Belly takes over her consciousness and that particular subplot is completely dropped. The writers went out of their way to humanize some of the shifters so we might give a poo poo about Peter killing them, then they just never ever mention his little bloodthirsty streak ever again (so far). But I still love all the characters. Peter and Olivia are cool, but Walter and Astrid are still the best.

I'm a little disappointed season 5 is what it is so far. It took my least favorite episode of the first 4 seasons and then made the show all about that. But again, the characters are still fun and it's not like I'm hating the show all the sudden, it's just not what I was hoping for.

This is all cool and good but how can you mention Walter and Astrid as the best without including Gene, the cow.
Also, S2E18 White Tulip is such a great episode

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well Gene just didn't get enough lines to really flesh them out.

I agree, White Tulip is fantastic. Probably the best episode of the show that I've seen. I probably couldn't guess any single episode based on the title alone but that one was so good.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I think season three of Vikings is a disaster. So many odd pacing choices, character deaths with no emotional payoff or anything, and unbelievable characters that had amazing plot development in the first two seasons, it seems like the show is literally just spinning the wheels and advancing a 'plot' that is becoming too broad and less focused.

It's trying and failing hard at being Game of Thrones.

I am almost Dexter-level hate watching the show now. What a loving stupid finale too.

I loved the first two seasons, and I'm pretty much ready to stop watching.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hizawk posted:

Absolutely do, it only goes downhill from there. Even the battles stop being good.

e: There's some fantastic Ragnar/Ecbert scenes in Season 4 but probably not worth slogging through the season for

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 28, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vikings keeps getting worse which is kind of impressive. To continue your Game of Thrones comparison, imagine a villain kind of like Ramsay Bolton except he remains the bad guy for the whole rest of the series.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hizawk posted:

I think season three of Vikings is a disaster. So many odd pacing choices, character deaths with no emotional payoff or anything, and unbelievable characters that had amazing plot development in the first two seasons, it seems like the show is literally just spinning the wheels and advancing a 'plot' that is becoming too broad and less focused.

It's trying and failing hard at being Game of Thrones.

I am almost Dexter-level hate watching the show now. What a loving stupid finale too.

I have always thought Vikings moved too fast story wise. The season 1 storyline was amazing and I feel like they could have stretched it another season or 2. The smaller tribe/village politics was always more interesting than all the other stuff. I dropped off I think sometime in 3 (or early 4) when I realized I was hate watching it.

Still I have fond memories of the Sacrifice episode in season 1. Man that was a great episode of TV.

Also how many times did Vikings draw from the well of my brother might betray me?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dropped half way through season 3

But yeah, season 1 and 2 were good, and could have been like 4 seasons or so

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tace Vim posted:

watching season 1 of Fringe. it's pretty good so far for an episodic show. I didn't realize John Noble, the actor who plays Walter Bishop was born in South Australia. he looks really familiar

You may be remembering him from his role as Denethor in The Return of the King - that was about as big a showcase role as an actor like John Noble could possibly get, and it definitely revived his career - I doubt we'd have had him as Walter Bishop if he hadn't been in LotR first, and John Noble simply is Walter, I couldn't possibly imagine anyone else in that role after half a season of watching him.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I finished all 11 seasons of Frasier after doing all 11 seasons of Cheers before it.

Frasier was consistently fantastic through the early seasons, great during the mid seasons, and pretty good the final 3 years.

the big issue is that Frasier himself becomes even more unlikeable in the last 3 seasons after a major series plot is more or less resolved, and I wonder if this was purposefully done - if everyone else in his life is happy and Frasier is not, I can see how that would wear someone down and make them no fun to be around.

Also, episode 5x14, "The Ski Lodge," is probably the single greatest sitcom episode of all time.

The Ski Lodge I think is the highest rated episode on IMDB. IMDB also loves all the "they think he's gay" ones.

Yea, theres 8 episodes or so the last few seasons where Frasier is super annoying. But it's not all the time.

I recently binged Perfect Strangers which was not easy to finish. But it has some hilarious moments but ends up getting really annoying often. But there are many many plotlines that Frasier seemed to copy (PS came before Frasier). Perhaps these are sitcom tropes that were common before PS but you definitely get the sense that some Frasier writers watched some PS. But Frasier does them better.

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 29, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

S05E01 of Fringe ends in a wordless scene just starring John Noble.
It's one of the finest pieces of acting I have seen on TV. It's the opposite of every "GREAT ACTING!" video you've seen. Quiet, understated, subtle yet very clear what it is portraying without words.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just finished all 3 seasons of Formula 1: Drive to Survive on Netflix. Other than vroom vroom car go fast, I knew next to nothing about F1 racing and throughly enjoyed this show.

It’s super interesting to me just how much of a team sport it is from the designers and engineers of the cars all the way up to the driver. It’s also entertaining how cut-throat those drivers can be even while being on the same team!

It’s a good watch. I recommend it!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The only logical solution now, is to go all in. There's a thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963322&pagenumber=1

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Wrapping up season 1 of For All Mankind and very much enjoying it. It helps I’m a sucker for space drama / alt histories but this is a good one.

Finished Man in the high castle last week and, while it had its moments , felt very underwhelmed by it in comparison.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Finished Man in the high castle last week and, while it had its moments , felt very underwhelmed by it in comparison.

Season 4? Yeah, that was such a let down after how good the prior two seasons were.

High Castle is actually a big reason why I had so much difficulty liking the back half of For All Mankind season 2. A lot of it is good, but it's so so similar to High Castle's second season finale that it can't help but come across as inferior.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Khablam posted:

The only logical solution now, is to go all in. There's a thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963322&pagenumber=1

Wtf that's not the air fryer thread

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Finished Shadow and Bone. Mildly engaging but largely forgettable so I don't see it having much shelf life.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Wrapping up season 1 of For All Mankind and very much enjoying it. It helps I’m a sucker for space drama / alt histories but this is a good one.

We really enjoyed season 1 but season 2 is even better. It’s a slow build but...dang.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Finished Shadow and Bone. Mildly engaging but largely forgettable so I don't see it having much shelf life.

Agreed on all counts.

In other news we’re watching Invincible now and it’s quite good.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Trig Discipline posted:

Agreed on all counts.
My guess is it gets a stinker of a second second season and gets dropped before a third.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it the general thread opinion that The Magicians is good? My little sister is pushing me to watch it and I wanna know whether I should really watch it or just put it on in the background while I'm working so I can pretend.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Trig Discipline posted:

Is it the general thread opinion that The Magicians is good? My little sister is pushing me to watch it and I wanna know whether I should really watch it or just put it on in the background while I'm working so I can pretend.

It's really good. The first season can be kind of rough, but the show tends to get better and better as it goes along, and by the end it was one of my favorites.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good to hear, thanks!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

Good to hear, thanks!

Yeah, click on my ? and see my reaction. I recently went through that journey. I started out feeling iffy, went to a hate watch, and now I think it may be one of my favorite shows ever? This is my life.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Magicians season 1 is aggressively mediocre. From season 2 on, it's a special blend of perfect that no other show has really done before. It's a super unique, fun, and clever show that rewards you for paying attention.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't call it perfect or one of my favorites but I would say that its first season or two is clunky but mostly entertaining trash but gradually it kind of finds itself and was capable of moments of greatness and something special.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hated the show on season 1 but by the middle of season 2 I'd warmed up to it. At some point towards the S2 finale I realized it was probably my favorite show on the air at the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Huh, I may just have to give it a second try. I bailed on the very first episode cause I just ended up loathing the protagonist on instinct somehow. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quentin is terrible at first. He has that "I am the chosen one" syndrome for a while but it passes and there's a really fantastic moment of character in season 4 that becomes crucial to the finale.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Recent watches:

Travelers I finished S2 last night. I love how this show continues to surprise. The season finale really blew up my expectations of how the show was going to go. Really enjoying the ride.

And from Acorn/Amazon land.

Brokenwood Mysteries. For some reason this is one of our favorite shows. It's a generally light in tone crime procedural set in a small New Zealand town. The 90 minute episodes give a lot more time to get into each story. Season 7 just dropped and as far as IMDB is telling me there is no S8 in production. There's a new cast member who works out pretty well. I'm not sure I'll give the writers full marks this season if only because some of the humor was just too on the nose, like there's been a running gag one of the cops is bad at making coffee and in past seasons you'll just see one of the characters pick up a coffee mug and sniff it and set it down, but this season they'd hit you over the head with the joke a little more obviously. Otherwise, still a great ride and I hope they keep the show going.

Trapped. Nordic noire set in a small town in Iceland. Season 1 was awesome. Much better than "The Cliff" which we just watched, although they are very different shows. Really good 10 episode journey weaving together multiple crimes. We're in the middle of S2 now.

Keeping Faith. Irish drama. The show starts out with a lawyer who's husband disappears, and she has to keep her life together while being a suspect in the disappearance and also learning of the double life her husband was leading. S1 was excellent if you like "plucky person surviving as the screws tighten" show, but we got a little tired of it in S2 and we've set it aside part way though s3, at least for now.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

And from Acorn/Amazon land.

Brokenwood Mysteries. For some reason this is one of our favorite shows. It's a generally light in tone crime procedural set in a small New Zealand town. The 90 minute episodes give a lot more time to get into each story. Season 7 just dropped and as far as IMDB is telling me there is no S8 in production. There's a new cast member who works out pretty well. I'm not sure I'll give the writers full marks this season if only because some of the humor was just too on the nose, like there's been a running gag one of the cops is bad at making coffee and in past seasons you'll just see one of the characters pick up a coffee mug and sniff it and set it down, but this season they'd hit you over the head with the joke a little more obviously. Otherwise, still a great ride and I hope they keep the show going.

We watched the first 6 seasons last year, so thanks for the heads-up. The balance of light humor w/o it being the focus (like say, Death in Paradise) is what we like. I do like that former episode suspects (pharmacist, Frodo) pop up as recurring supporting cast - more realistic in small town.

Other day at lunch we were trying to decide what the most dangerous TV small town must be, wrt population vs number of homicides.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pumped up for school posted:

I do like that former episode suspects (pharmacist, Frodo) pop up as recurring supporting cast - more realistic in small town.

There's a lot of this in S7!

quote:

Other day at lunch we were trying to decide what the most dangerous TV small town must be, wrt population vs number of homicides.

I'd go with the Murder She Wrote town. But maybe enough of those were in other cities.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Huh, I may just have to give it a second try. I bailed on the very first episode cause I just ended up loathing the protagonist on instinct somehow. :v:

We watched episode 1 last night and it was just the clumsiest possible infodump of "here are the bits we stole from Harry Potter, over here are the bits we stole from Narnia, and if you'll look over here you'll see Fifty Shades of Grey". Like I've heard enough good opinions of it that we're going to give it a full chance but that first episode was decidedly not promising.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Keeping Faith. Irish drama.

WELSH GOONS RISE UP

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Started going through Travelers, I’m enjoying it so far. Some of the body horror/possession bits are pretty great, especially the one where the team leader realizes after shooting his team that he himself is about to be possessed, so he attempts to turn his gun on himself before that happens.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

WELSH GOONS RISE UP
Whoops.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

devmd01 posted:

Started going through Travelers, I’m enjoying it so far. Some of the body horror/possession bits are pretty great, especially the one where the team leader realizes after shooting his team that he himself is about to be possessed, so he attempts to turn his gun on himself before that happens.

I loved this aspect of the show, and when the show goes there it's great. There's an episode in the show's second season which plays this out to the n-th degree, and it's genuinely excellent.

It's a little too in love with its cast, which can make the show a little disturbing at times. It's also too worried about its audience liking its characters which, ironically, leads them to not pushing as far with the show's concepts as it really should have. The result is frustrating; for all that the show is blatantly an attempt by the Netflix algorithm to recapture the success of Continuum, it's nowhere near as brave as that series managed to be. So it's a comfortable show to turn your brain off to, for the most part, but the reminders that the main characters have a psychotic disregard for human life remains. A scrupulously justified disregard, but it's still there.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

holy poo poo continuum owned lmao. I literally just finished it, very good

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 7, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

needed 4 more seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

holy poo poo continuum owned lmao. I literally just finished it, very good

gently caress yeah. I just finished watching it again the other day. It's really emotional, but it never buys into its character's bullshit. And the endings to most of the cast are so so good.

Carlos was the real hero IMO.

Also: something no one ever talks about : the fights are pretty good.