Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

grack posted:

IT LIVES

drat I'm good

Will you ever get it to look not wonky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Keetron posted:

Will you ever get it to look not wonky?

No. With damage this severe you generally have to stop at "well, the loving thing works". The only way to get the creases out completely would require heat treating the nib (annealing, hardening, tempering), but without information on the alloys used it would be nearly impossible to get the formulas correct. Improperly heat treating already-stressed metal is pretty much a guaranteed crack or break.

Trying to straighten them out without heat treatment is just as difficult, and more than likely to end up with a broken off tine due to metal fatigue.

grack fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 5, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Schon Design came in a day late, but whatever. Pocket Six in Lisa Frunk

Capped with Chapstick for scale.

This thing is stupid light. Crazy loving light. With the included Monteverde cart, it's less than a lighter, about on par with a tube of Chapstick weight wise. Uses a Jowa nib.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lowness 72 posted:

I love VPs. My favorite is the blue carbonesque or whatever it's called. However I hate the ink capacity. Makes it difficult to effectively use at work and I've had converters get stuck and break on me when trying to remove them. Kind of soured me on the pen.

Yeah, Pilot converters are universally lovely. Even the CON-70 is an over-engineered pile of... ok it works decently enough, better than the CON-40, but both of them fail to do what every other pen company does just fine. The CON-70 has a gently caress you ink capacity for a converter though, which is cool.

Though I did stick the con-40 from my VP in my plumix because sure, I can use the "agitation balls" with Nitrogen (incoming "DUMP THAT INK" from I think Heath)

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Yeah, Pilot converters are universally lovely. Even the CON-70 is an over-engineered pile of... ok it works decently enough, better than the CON-40, but both of them fail to do what every other pen company does just fine. The CON-70 has a gently caress you ink capacity for a converter though, which is cool.

Though I did stick the con-40 from my VP in my plumix because sure, I can use the "agitation balls" with Nitrogen (incoming "DUMP THAT INK" from I think Heath)

I stocked up when the CON-20 got discontinued and have a stash of like 20, which has come in pretty handy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

:haibrower:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:getin:

e: full disclosure, I redid the swab on the Santiago Sea and my hands are now covered in blue spots.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 5, 2021

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, having spent a day with the VP at work, it's definitely heftier than my Curidas, but I think it's a much better writing experience beyond that.

Not entirely used to the push button on it, but that's also because the one on the Curidas is too long for it's own good.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

howe_sam posted:

:getin:

e: full disclosure, I redid the swab on the Santiago Sea and my hands are now covered in blue spots.

Tell me more about this royal blue. Can you compare it to BSB?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BayState is a brighter blue, but Nitrogen has sheen.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Chip McFuck posted:

Got my first "vintage" pen in today:

NOS Sheaffer 440 from the '70's. Love that nib.

Peyton Street Pens?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yep! Shipped in the original case too, which was a nice bonus.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think i ordered a replacement esterbrook nib from them and it came in the original box. poo poo is wild.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

BayState is a brighter blue, but Nitrogen has sheen.

oh man that Nitrogen is really fuckin cool

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

And like clockwork, another falls victim to Organic Studios Nitrogen...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

now I remember why I never looked at this thread that often.. you guys keep fuckin posting pens I want.. That Lisa funk pen is cool, I'd pay upwards of 40 dollars for it.. luckily it's a little more than that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

DJExile posted:

Not pictured: The ink blot on the carpet from OP accidentally dropping that swatch face down...2 weeks after making it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sankis posted:

I think i ordered a replacement esterbrook nib from them and it came in the original box. poo poo is wild.

yeah I've gotten a few in the original box, some of them are in a box somewhere kuz I can't bring myself to toss them. They weren't what I was looking for and I was able to clean out the nib that was in it.. I should put on ebay but "effort".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

tater_salad posted:

now I remember why I never looked at this thread that often.. you guys keep fuckin posting pens I want.. That Lisa funk pen is cool, I'd pay upwards of 40 dollars for it.. luckily it's a little more than that.

I think it was worth what I paid (~100$). My only issue is that I'm an Ogre, and the pen is so light, I'm still getting the feel of it. But I couldn't pass up that color scheme.

He had (has? It was above my frivolous budget) a beautiful copper one that my local pen shop owner had for her personal pen. She hasn't had it long, and that wear and weathering is making that pen so much prettier.

Everything I want costs monies. I hate spending money. In that vein, everything I want is either some bespoke poo poo, or stuff for small children.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DJExile posted:

For the record, if you want a royal blue that has a heavy sheen, there are options beyond Nitrogen.

My scanner didn't capture it very well, but Polar Glow especially gives you a lot of the sheen of Nitrogen without being as finicky.

That being said, if you want that sheen everywhere quality, Organics Studio is the only game in town and you just have to live with its quirks, like never drying, and showing up in the weirdest drat places.

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion
Woo! Montblanc Legrand 146 came in the mail today. I got mine with an EF nib, and I'm glad I did. It writes about as finely as my Sailor Pro Gear's F nib, but it's smoother and wetter.

A few other pens I've picked up since last posting:

Pilot E95s, F nib - it's a super smooth writer, and is very portable. The CON-40 converter it comes with takes some fussing about with to fill completely, but it can be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YEgYrKnwKU

Kaweco STEEL Sport, EF nib - This pen looks and feels great, but it's heavy enough that I wouldn't use it with the cap posted. Had to tune the nib somewhat to get ink to flow reliably.

TWSBI ECO, F nib - Honestly, the most ergonomic pen I have, though it gets way too long posted to write with.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I use the CON-40's natural predator.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000189608280.html

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why pay that much when you can get the same thing as a drug store for 5 bucks, and you get it today instead of when only the the gods know.

I mean poo poo, Anderson sells a two pack for 4.50.

https://andersonpens.com/5ml-blunt-tip-syringes-2-pack/

iospace fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 6, 2021

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Why pay that much when you can get the same thing as a drug store for 5 bucks, and you get it today instead of when only the the gods know.

I mean poo poo, Anderson sells a two pack for 4.50.

https://andersonpens.com/5ml-blunt-tip-syringes-2-pack/

The spring looks handy for one handed operation.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Meowspergers posted:

TWSBI ECO, F nib - Honestly, the most ergonomic pen I have, though it gets way too long posted to write with.

If you plan on buying another TWSBI, I think the Mini will be right up your alley. It's shorter than the Eco/Diamond, and what surprised me are the threads on the end for posting the cap so it's secure. I wish they did that on the Diamond/Eco, but it's probably too long for most folks to write posted with anyway, myself included.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Plumixes are incredibly underrated.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I actually really love the Plumix nib. I'm glad it was my first fountain pen, it got me hooked big time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Figured this might be a good place to ask- I'd like to buy a friend a gift for her new job. She normally uses a gel pen (pentel energel) and I was hoping someone could recommend a similar feeling pen.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

Figured this might be a good place to ask- I'd like to buy a friend a gift for her new job. She normally uses a gel pen (pentel energel) and I was hoping someone could recommend a similar feeling pen.

A similar feeling fountain pen? It's generally not a good idea to buy anything other than the cheapest tester pen as a gift for someone who doesn't normally use fountain pens. If you want to introduce someone to fountain pens, it's best to show/lend stuff you've already got.

Or are you looking for energel style refills in fancier pen bodies?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dad Hominem posted:

A similar feeling fountain pen? It's generally not a good idea to buy anything other than the cheapest tester pen as a gift for someone who doesn't normally use fountain pens. If you want to introduce someone to fountain pens, it's best to show/lend stuff you've already got.

Or are you looking for energel style refills in fancier pen bodies?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

A non-fountain pen- I was hoping for something nicer for her. She appreciates nice pens, but hasn't ventured into anything "fancy".
I was hoping someone had some advice.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

A non-fountain pen- I was hoping for something nicer for her. She appreciates nice pens, but hasn't ventured into anything "fancy".

The answer is always to buy a Pilot Metro.
See, we should not have changed the thread title!

Buy an M nib if possible, it feels more like a smooth gelpen than an F that can be a bit scratchy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

So you just want a nicer pen of the same sort she already uses? Any idea for budget?

If it's not particularly high you could get her a Pilot G2 Limited (which come in metal bodies) and some nicer refills. While not made for it, Pelikan (and Montblanc with some light xacto cutting) refills will fit perfectly into the metal G2s body. I currently have metal G2 with a pelikan rollerball and it's a fantastic writer. Definitely punches above its weight. This entire thing is probably about $25.

If your budget is a bit higher you could check out somewhere like jerpens.com and see what they have. Lamy and other big brand ballpoints and rollerballs seem to start around $40 for the nicer stuff.

If you want a fountain pen, go Metro in her favorite color with some cartridges or a bottle of black or blue or blue-black ink.

Edit: afaik rollerball vs ballpoint is mostly in the ink used. Ballpoints use an oil based ink that is pretty resilient but need more pressure to put down on the paper. Rollerballs on the other hand use water based ink similar to fountain pens. Gel pens use a water based gel.

If ball points and fountain pens were on the opposite ends of a chart, Rollerballs would be about half way between the two. Gel pens would be about halfway between ballpoints and Rollerballs.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 8, 2021

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
They make ballpoint Metros, I use one as a daily driver because it's very smooth and the brass body makes it virtually indestructible. I used it to tighten an eyebolt recently.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

bulletsponge13 posted:

Something like a Tombow Zoom 505 might fit the bill. Its a real nice feeling rollerball pen that writes really smoothly and I think can take gel refills. Look very classy as well without breaking the bank.

If you've got the money for them, then a Tactile Turn Bolt Action or Side Click would also be excellent choices. They feel really good in the hand, have a nice weight, and take a large variety of ink refills too.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

bulletsponge13 posted:

A non-fountain pen-

heresy

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

She's getting a cheap fountain pen regardless.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

She's getting a cheap fountain pen regardless.

Not too cheap, we wouldn't want her to dislike this weird hobby.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
On the repair bench this week we have a lovely little Mabie Todd eyedropper. On first glance, the nib looks to be in okay shape for a 90+ year old pen

However, zoom, enhance, and...

Uh oh. See how the nib seems to jut up slightly there? Yeah, the nib has been sprung at some point. Worse, someone tried to bend the tine back down but totally missed the original bend. Then, they tried to bend the nib back up, creating a third bend.

So instead of being straight, the tine kind of looks like this now:

This is pretty bad. The constant bending has introduced metal fatigue, and the nib can't be left as is. The bends in the tines (on both sides) have warped the nib slit, totally interrupting ink flow. The pen will not write.

Also, somebody got a little bit over-eager with the splitting saw, but I can't do much about that.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
That poor pen.

Is there a good way to repair it beyond replacing the nib?