Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The HBO Max Doom Patrol is quite good.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but how many things have I very enthusiastically recommended here that didn't turn out to be poo poo everyone liked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CPL593H posted:

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but how many things have I very enthusiastically recommended here that didn't turn out to be poo poo everyone liked?

Of everything you've gone to bat for that I actually checked out you were 100% right.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fully vaxxed and feelin' fine.

Scratch that feeling like absolute poo poo but I'm told that just means it's working.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

This kind of statement bears official review. I'll need the complete CPL list of approved media on my desk by Friday morning.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Of everything you've gone to bat for that I actually checked out you were 100% right.

Thanks, babe.

The Klowner posted:

This kind of statement bears official review. I'll need the complete CPL list of approved media on my desk by Friday morning.

I can't remember everything but most notably there was Blacula, Tammy and the T-Rex, and Doom Patrol. Those are just the ones I yelled about enough where it basically became a posting gimmick.

edit: I've done MotM several times and recall all my picks being well received.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 6, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fully vaxxed and feelin' fine.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scratch that feeling like absolute poo poo but I'm told that just means it's working.

:lol: that's how it goes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just had a sore arm for about a day and a half.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The day I got it my arm was sore and that was mostly it; but when I went to bed I couldn’t sleep because I had chills and soreness all over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The structure of comics distribution is so fundamentally borked that I'm not convinced anything could really improve the business. It's a product sold in specialty stores for a price point that's kind of outpaced inflation, there's good stuff but it's hard to get new eyes on it.

Comics should sell for about half what they do (or less) if they want to be a truly viable business. When comics were so cheap they could be impulse purchases, they would sell so many more copies than they do today that the sheer volume of sales more than made up for the smaller profit margin on individual sales. But both major companies seem intent on the "gouge the handful of people that still buy our product" model. I mean I get it, there's a ceiling to the medium because most people would much rather watch something than read something, even if it comes with pictures.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I recently found an app that automatically detects panels and displays them one at a time. Haven't tested it out yet, but add some text-to-speech and a slideshow mode and you've got a lovely but accessible motion-comic!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ruddiger posted:

What comics is everyone reading?

I'm following Marvel's Warhammer and Ultraman comics, plus some indie titles like Ultra Mega, Kaiju Heist, and Maniac of New York.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Marvel's Ultraman comics are interesting. If you don't like Ultraman you won't care about them because they're very boring and forgettable and don't have any good characters or fights. But if you do like Ultraman then they'll also make you angry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I've been re-reading some old Captain America comics. What a well realized character he is. Even the kinda bad writers had such a grasp on his personality because it was so strong.

I've really been enjoying the IDW TMNT comics, even though the current Sophie Campbell run is starting to wear thin on me because it's mostly a bunch of animal people wearing hip clothes going to punk rock concerts and dishing about boys. I mean it's good and there's still a lot of action and monsters and ninjas, but at times it feels like a furry webcomic that occasionally incidentally features the ninja turtles. I really want them to get the gently caress out of mutant town already.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lurdiak posted:

I've been re-reading some old Captain America comics. What a well realized character he is. Even the kinda bad writers had such a grasp on his personality because it was so strong.

I've really been enjoying the IDW TMNT comics, even though the current Sophie Campbell run is starting to wear thin on me because it's mostly a bunch of animal people wearing hip clothes going to punk rock concerts and dishing about boys. I mean it's good and there's still a lot of action and monsters and ninjas, but at times it feels like a furry webcomic that occasionally incidentally features the ninja turtles. I really want them to get the gently caress out of mutant town already.

I kinda want to read that. Is this the beginning of her run?

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Reborn/dp/168405687X/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sophie+campbell&qid=1620309192&sr=8-3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, that's it. It's a great jumping on point, honestly. A ton of crazy poo poo has happened in the series up until then but all you really need to know is summed up on the opening page of her first issue.

I guess the one piece of context that's important is the new fifth turtle, who's pretty central to the run. She's a foot clan assassin who got turned to the light side by Splinter and then turned into a turtle by a combination of exposure to raw mutagen and a life saving blood transfusion from Leonardo.

Sophie Campbell really gets into the emotional side of the characters and builds a really interesting community in the newly formed mutant ghetto with all these fun supporting characters. And she's a great artist too. It just feels a little.. downbeat, compared to when the turtles were going to space to fight a war against hundreds of alien soldiers, or when Shredder killed a million men in hell.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I'm currently in the middle of a few:

Homunculus, a psychological thriller about a guy who undergoes an illicit trepanation and gains the ability to see what seem to be manifestations of people's self-images

Me And The Devil Blues, a fictionalized retelling of Robert Johnson's life

Blue Period, about a high schooler who finds himself drawn into the world of fine art and dedicates his life to painting

20th Century Boys, about a game some kids made up about stopping the end of the world actually coming true decades later

Hanaotoko, about a kid spending the summer with his irresponsible, baseball obsessed father

I'd recommend all of them.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

I Before E posted:

I'm currently in the middle of a few:

Homunculus, a psychological thriller about a guy who undergoes an illicit trepanation and gains the ability to see what seem to be manifestations of people's self-images

Me And The Devil Blues, a fictionalized retelling of Robert Johnson's life

Blue Period, about a high schooler who finds himself drawn into the world of fine art and dedicates his life to painting

20th Century Boys, about a game some kids made up about stopping the end of the world actually coming true decades later

Hanaotoko, about a kid spending the summer with his irresponsible, baseball obsessed father

I'd recommend all of them.
manga guy, eh

never read any hideo yamamoto, I guess you’d start with homunculus or ichi the killer

think it’s hilarious how devil blues is the outlier in akira hiramoto’s work, his other stuff is pg-13 comedy fanservice fetish stuff

blue period is nice coming-of-age and I like that the author uses student works for the depicted paintings and credits them

I’ve really dropped off naoki urasawa since pluto, think it and monster are on equal footing but have been wary of starting his newer works while never bothering with the sports stuff that were his claim to fame

On the other hand, taiyo matsumoto’s sports stuff is all great and imo he’s a legit top 10 comic artist in the world

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Coaaab posted:

I’ve really dropped off naoki urasawa since pluto, think it and monster are on equal footing but have been wary of starting his newer works while never bothering with the sports stuff that were his claim to fame

I'm kind of the opposite, I read Pluto first and was so disappointed by it that I didn't really go into much of his other stuff until I gave 20th CB a shot, and I'm loving it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Comics should sell for about half what they do (or less) if they want to be a truly viable business. When comics were so cheap they could be impulse purchases, they would sell so many more copies than they do today that the sheer volume of sales more than made up for the smaller profit margin on individual sales. But both major companies seem intent on the "gouge the handful of people that still buy our product" model. I mean I get it, there's a ceiling to the medium because most people would much rather watch something than read something, even if it comes with pictures.

I wish comics were cheaper but I don't think cutting the price in half would lead to comic sales doubling. There were a bunch of other factors that lead to decreased comic sales today versus 1955. A large one being people don't have a need to impulse purchase short reading material anymore since everyone has a smart phone so if they know they're gonna be sitting on a bus or waiting in a lobby they can just look at that instead.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

I Before E posted:

I'm kind of the opposite, I read Pluto first and was so disappointed by it that I didn't really go into much of his other stuff until I gave 20th CB a shot, and I'm loving it.
monster is a drat fine piece of work but I think the actual great version of a naoki urasawa propulsive mystery page-turner serialization is atsushi kaneko’s soil

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I wish comics were cheaper but I don't think cutting the price in half would lead to comic sales doubling. There were a bunch of other factors that lead to decreased comic sales today versus 1955. A large one being people don't have a need to impulse purchase short reading material anymore since everyone has a smart phone so if they know they're gonna be sitting on a bus or waiting in a lobby they can just look at that instead.

Man don't even get me started on the industry's resistance to going digital.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I recently wrapped up reading a TPB collection of the first six issues of The First Kingdom by Jack Katz, which is a weird, obscure sci-fi/fantasy comic about a postapocalyptic world and the civilization gradually establishing itself in the midst of horrible monsters and meddling gods. It's done in a very sword-and-sorcery art style, there's a poo poo ton of nudity to the point that it loses impact, it's just that in this world nobody wears a shirt. Katz didn't have a letterer so all the dialogue/captions are in type. Between dense art and very solemn dialogue it can be slow going but it has a good epic feel. The biggest flaw is that Katz's panel layouts are often confusing, I sometimes have to go back over a page to figure out what the sequence is. Overall an interesting story, kind of a fringe work.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wish someone was able to get Billy Bat localized properly because god drat

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

They also don't sell them in minimarts and grocery stores anymore which is probably where most people got them.

Lurdiak posted:

gently caress digital.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

latest volume of Hellblazer
original run of Ghost Rider
the Creepy/Eerie archives series

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

latest volume of Hellblazer
original run of Ghost Rider
the Creepy/Eerie archives series

All great choices.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

All great choices.

if anyone has access to Hoopla through their library the comics selection is crazy good, it's how i'm going through the Creepy/Eerie archives. the others I got through the regular library.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Every single comic published today is available digitally and you can get a subscription service for the big two and read every new comic 3-6 months after it was published?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I don't read nerd poo poo like comics, I read poo poo like Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed, a sci-fi book about a physicist from an anarchist society visiting his sister planet's propertarian society.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I Before E posted:

There's a 20th CB movie trilogy. I remember really liking the first one but not so much the other two

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I don't read nerd poo poo like comics, I read poo poo like Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed, a sci-fi book about a physicist from an anarchist society visiting his sister planet's propertarian society.

Love Le Guin, but it’s funny to see how she went from like the sci fi author that “people who aren’t nerds” read, to the focal point of an entire nerd subculture.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get comics. The pictures don't move? You have to imagine everything happening in your head??? Ehh I'll stick with movies thanks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I read The Left Hand of Darkness a few weeks ago and it was hard to follow at first because of all the goofy made up words and everyone being referred to by multiple names. And then their whole names being really long and full of nonsense syllables. I'd heard the book was all kinds of stuff about defying gender but I was disappointed because the book doesn't really do all that much with it and every character is still referred to as male. There are some interesting ideas in there but they're not well executed. Overall though I liked the story at least. I also read The Word for World is Forest. If I liked those and don't want to read any of her fantasy novels what would you suggest?

The Klowner posted:

I don't get comics. The pictures don't move? You have to imagine everything happening in your head??? Ehh I'll stick with movies thanks.

I'm about to blow your goddamn mind. Did you know they have comic book movies? What will they think of next?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ruddiger posted:

I have a top three “buy anything from this artist” guys, Erik Larsen, David Lapham, and Evan Dorkin. Out of the three, only one current has a monthly (Larsen on Savage Dragon). The other two have passion project ongoings (Stray Bullets and Dork! respectively). Dorkin’s recent works include Bill & Ted are Doomed and Beasts of Burden (both really good!), and Lapham did Lodger with IDW in 2019. I just added Ed Piskor’s Red Room to my pull list after seeing his enthusiasm and some of the finished pages on the Cartoonist Kayfabe channel.

I can’t recommend Cartoonist Kayfabe enough. Jim Rugg and Ed Piskor are doing the lords work with that channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozoN8w7Uhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNtI8JuR2fA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNME1rdxtU

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog

Boom Studios Power Rangers

Kieron Gillen's DIE

I also went back and read some of Milestone's stuff (Static, Hardware, Icon, and Blood Syndicate) when I saw DC was finally getting off their rear end about it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog

Boom Studios Power Rangers

Kieron Gillen's DIE

I also went back and read some of Milestone's stuff (Static, Hardware, Icon, and Blood Syndicate) when I saw DC was finally getting off their rear end about it.

Die is really good. I just wait for the trades instead of going issue to issue because I came in late and it's better than having 90 million little magazines on top of my already shameful heap of comic books I have because no one will have me and I'm a deeply unhappy person.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I don't read comics, I read good comics criticism!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I read The Left Hand of Darkness a few weeks ago and it was hard to follow at first because of all the goofy made up words and everyone being referred to by multiple names. And then their whole names being really long and full of nonsense syllables. I'd heard the book was all kinds of stuff about defying gender but I was disappointed because the book doesn't really do all that much with it and every character is still referred to as male. There are some interesting ideas in there but they're not well executed. Overall though I liked the story at least. I also read The Word for World is Forest. If I liked those and don't want to read any of her fantasy novels what would you suggest?

I'm about to blow your goddamn mind. Did you know they have comic book movies? What will they think of next?

I think modern copies of the book have a forward from Le Guinn herself echoing your sentiments, or I read an interview with her saying as much

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't read comics, I read good comics criticism!

Oh dear god.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

The Lathe of Heaven. A great, tight story.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

There's a 20th CB movie trilogy. I remember really liking the first one but not so much the other two

The third one cut the best line! The coolest line in the series, possibly the coolest line in fiction, and they cut it! I wasn't fond of the adaptations but I was still excited for the third one just because I wanted to see that scene and that line in live action, and they didn't do it!

"You can't shoot someone when they're singing a song."

And they also cut his less cool but equally important to the character follow up line later, "They can shoot you when you're singing a song."

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I’ve only read The Left Hand of Darkness, The Lathe of Heaven, and the first 3/4 of The Dispossessed, and I would recommend The Lathe of Heaven. It gets into its story pretty quickly and, unlike Left Hand, doesn’t make you feel like you’re reading a JRPG codex for the first half of the story. I’m also liking The Dispossessed, it’s pretty dense for sci-fi and spends a lot of time analyzing anarchy as a legitimate political ideology and discusses physics in a way that’s very sci-fi without being technobabble. There is one weird element that happens about 2/3 of the way through that hasn’t been built upon to the point where I am, where the main character sexually assaults a woman. It’s very jarring and doesn’t quite fit the rest of the character, but again I haven’t finished the book yet.