Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Those comments are pretty decent for HN. The last one unsurprisingly appears to have been voted down already though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As a whitey-white almost see-through person, do I then deliberately choose the palest skin tone, or do I leave it at the default yellow?

I feel like deliberately choosing the pale skin tone signals something that I don't want to signal. People with darker skin can choose the skin tones they feel represent them best and get representation (of sorts), which rules. But by choosing the pale option, I would unintentionally lump myself in with the "proud to be White" jerkbags.

I leave it at the default, because I don't feel like any other choice would be appropriate. You could even consider it a secret test, ie. if you choose the pale skin tone, people know to be skeptical of your opinions on racism.

E: In reality, I wish we would have just kept using the super basic character-based smileys.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 5, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
just pick whatever one you like

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Tootsie is BACK, in pog form!

treeman79 12 hours ago [–]

Had to quit a company last year due to bigotry.
Constant bashing of white men on company calls. Exceptions if you were openly non straight. They also loved talking about how inclusive they were.

Constant mocking of customer base, who was mostly traditional white people.

I figure out quick I was hired only because they were desperate for someone with experience.

Which sadly meant hiring an undesirable.

At some point if I really need a job I may need to put on a dress.

DocTomoe 0 minutes ago [–]

At what point does a mock become acceptable?
Even today there are companies, especially in the tech startup scene, which actively discriminate against "cisgender white males". It is extremely likely that even today, people put on the mask of the currently favoured sexual identity to land a job. Not to mock trans people, just to get ahead in life.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
:allears:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
hahaha oh my god, the basecamp thread is incredible

JPKab 12 hours ago [–]

No, it's not.
Where do you think this ideology and hypersensitivity originated?

> edoceo 11 hours ago [–]

> I'm curious, was it academia? I mean, is there an origin story? I don't even know what terms search.

>>bthazos 10 hours ago [–]

>>Probably. The historical origins are beyond me, but anecdotally I thought the 1994 movie PCU must've dealt a mortal blow to the political correctness movement because I stopped hearing about it and no one around me treated it as a real thing. In hindsight, the resurgence of mom jeans in the last decade should have planted seeds of worry in many a gen-xer.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Enderzero posted:

Tootsie is BACK, in pog form!

treeman79 12 hours ago [–]

Had to quit a company last year due to bigotry.
Constant bashing of white men on company calls. Exceptions if you were openly non straight. They also loved talking about how inclusive they were.

Constant mocking of customer base, who was mostly traditional white people.

I figure out quick I was hired only because they were desperate for someone with experience.

Which sadly meant hiring an undesirable.

At some point if I really need a job I may need to put on a dress.

These are always infuriating. Constant bashing and mocking is most likely one time comments that the person just plays through in their mind constantly.

GenX is really doing everything they can to continue the work of the boomers.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Mom jeans will bring about the fall of western civilization.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Plenty of hot takes in the incel thread (big loving surprise). Just look for "sexual marketplace" and similar terms, or :females:

Is sexual freedom actually worse than forced marriage and sexual obligation? Nobody knows!

Literally "women withholding sex from men turns them violent and antisocial, so it's the women's own fault".

do the incels ever figure out that they, too, can get casual sex by getting a haircut and wearing clean clothes? and downgrading their standards just a little bit to "normal looking human woman" instead of whatever cgi movie star poster they think they're owed?

i guess not or they wouldn't be incels huh.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

do the incels ever figure out that they, too, can get casual sex by getting a haircut and wearing clean clothes? and downgrading their standards just a little bit to "normal looking human woman" instead of whatever cgi movie star poster they think they're owed?

i guess not or they wouldn't be incels huh.

incels incel cuz they open their mouths and then women run away for excellent reasons, not because they look like poo poo. altho they often look like poo poo

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They think they deserve sex as some sort of basic human right, even if they don't realize the implications of that. It would literally be pity sex and not even meet their own demands for smoking hot anime manic pixie dream girl virgin sex goddesses.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Plenty of hot takes in the incel thread (big loving surprise). Just look for "sexual marketplace" and similar terms, or :females:

Is sexual freedom actually worse than forced marriage and sexual obligation? Nobody knows!

Literally "women withholding sex from men turns them violent and antisocial, so it's the women's own fault".

if we have equality then why don't women hit on me? checkmate feminazis

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

xtal posted:

I'm with them there, there shouldn't be an explicit skin tone in emojis, that's weird

The problem is that "yellow" doesn't unambiguously mean "no possible human skin tone", it pretty much means "white person". See The Simpsons, and Lego people before that. If all emojis had been pale green or pale blue from day one this would have been less of a thing, maybe.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

They think they deserve sex as some sort of basic human right, even if they don't realize the implications of that. It would literally be pity sex and not even meet their own demands for smoking hot anime manic pixie dream girl virgin sex goddesses.
Yeah, I don't have it to hand but I swear I saw something get posted from an incel that had a girlfriend but was still resentful because she didn't meet his lofty standards, or something like that. Those dudes are broken.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

the worst punishment you could give an incel would be a girlfriend. an actual live person with their own thoughts and needs. it'd be hell for em.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

incels incel cuz they open their mouths and then women run away for excellent reasons, not because they look like poo poo. altho they often look like poo poo

often it doesn't even take a word

incels mistake this as "females have already decided i'm a loser before even talking to me, it's not fair" but it's more like sensing danger.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doom Mathematic posted:

The problem is that "yellow" doesn't unambiguously mean "no possible human skin tone", it pretty much means "white person". See The Simpsons, and Lego people before that. If all emojis had been pale green or pale blue from day one this would have been less of a thing, maybe.

yeah, and that is a real problem. as a solution multiple skintone emoji also has serious problems though, where lack of representation gets made overt when only paleish or yellow emoji gets used in some circumstances (e.g. media), or other skin tones only show up in extremely performantive ways.

which might not be worse, but it is actually real hard to tell. either way that can of worms is fully open, so we'll see. it helps little to imagine going back in time to push for emoji being really cartoony and with a really unrepresentative color scheme.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you are caucasian is it better to deliberately select the light-skinned emojis, or leave them yellow?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

if you are caucasian is it better to deliberately select the light-skinned emojis, or leave them yellow?

quote:

if you are black is it better to deliberately select the dark-skinned emojis, or leave them yellow?

quote:

if you are southern european is it better to deliberately select the olive-skinned emojis, or leave them yellow?

why do you think these questions have different answers?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i forget who it was but somebody also mentioned why it's weird that "white pride" is an automatic 100% turbo-racist grouping when other groupings aren't. the thing is that the grouping of people into "asian" or "black" is also the result of racism that reduces people from vastly different walks of life into those coarse buckets, whereas white people were able to think of themselves as italian, german, french, etc. etc.. White pride is unique because its a construct of white supremacists to counteract the work that these other groups (that white society defined) are doing to get equality/equity.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

personally i will select whichever of white or yellow emoji that hasn't already been reacted, to make the button bigger in slack

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it always makes me laugh when incel weirdos just can't wrap their heads around the fact that women like loving as much as men do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FamDav posted:

why do you think these questions have different answers?

because going out of your way to identify yourself as white carries some icky implications in american society.

it shouldn't be that way, of course; white shouldn't be the societal "normal" skin color, so there shouldn't be anything weird about identifying yourself as such. but as noted above, "i'm black and i'm proud" and "i'm white and i'm proud" do not carry remotely equivalent connotations.

basically i'm asking "do white supremacists intentionally select the white skinned emojis"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I use the default yellow because I dgaf. The fact that idgaf probably has something to do with me being a white dude the US - I may very well feel differently if I had a different skin tone and life experiences

if you wanted to use the white emoji for some reason that would probably be fine as long as you weren't being an rear end in a top hat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I use the default yellow because I dgaf. The fact that idgaf probably has something to do with me being a white dude the US - I may very well feel differently if I had a different skin tone and life experiences

if you wanted to use the white emoji for some reason that would probably be fine as long as you weren't being an rear end in a top hat

white supremacists will read it as you signaling to them that you are also a white supremacist

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
lmfao @ this thread, literally worse then HN.

If you're sweating balls about being seen as a racist for using the wrong colour emoji how about just not use them? Problem loving solved.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Xik posted:

lmfao @ this thread, literally worse then HN.

If you're sweating balls about being seen as a racist for using the wrong colour emoji how about just not use them? Problem loving solved.

please don't interrupt the leftists' weekly struggle session slash circular firing squad, it's amazing

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
💩

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
The skin color emoji stuff sucks because there aren't enough options. There should have been another option with a breakout to RGB.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Like how could trump represent himself with the current set of colors? There's no sickly orange option.

All people should feel represented.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
why are goons constantly terrified that someone somewhere might suspect them of having The Wrong Politics

"i have to use the emojis with the correct skin tone or somebody might think i'm a chud!" no you don't. that's stupid. it's in your head

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, i think it is a pretty sound and reality-grounded kind of question to ask what the symbols you use to communicate actually mean, or at least how they are perceived. yeah you can just refrain from using them at all, but even then it is at minimum worth knowing why you're doing so.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Hammerite posted:

why are goons constantly terrified that someone somewhere might suspect them of having The Wrong Politics

"i have to use the emojis with the correct skin tone or somebody might think i'm a chud!" no you don't. that's stupid. it's in your head

I sign up to all other websites as username1488 because I was 14 years old in 1988… what’s the problem, right?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

namlosh posted:

I sign up to all other websites as username1488 because I was 14 years old in 1988… what’s the problem, right?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

carry on then posted:

white supremacists will read it as you signaling to them that you are also a white supremacist

even if this is true, it doesn't matter. if they start saying the 14 words at you because they think you'll agree it's actually pretty easy to tell them to gently caress off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

skull mask mcgee posted:

even if this is true, it doesn't matter. if they start saying the 14 words at you because they think you'll agree it's actually pretty easy to tell them to gently caress off.
Agreed. That's why I always wear a nazi armband when I'm outside: to create opportunities to educate nazis who approach me on history (hasn't happened yet but clearly it's doing no harm).

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

namlosh posted:

"this thing you're worrying about is silly"

"well have you considered this silly hypothetical"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hammerite posted:

"this thing you're worrying about is silly"

"well have you considered this silly hypothetical"

considering you seem incapable of communicating in any other form than by making up stupid hyperbolic quotes this is some :ironicat:

Hammerite posted:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

mystes posted:

Agreed. That's why I always wear a nazi armband when I'm outside: to create opportunities to educate nazis who approach me on history (hasn't happened yet but clearly it's doing no harm).

ah yes, wearing a nazi armband and using an emoji with a white skin tone. these two things are the same to me

mystes
May 31, 2006

skull mask mcgee posted:

ah yes, wearing a nazi armband and using an emoji with a white skin tone. these two things are the same to me
Oh I thought you were responding about having 88 in your username sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

considering you seem incapable of communicating in any other form than by making up stupid hyperbolic quotes this is some :ironicat:

"i have to use the emojis with the correct skin tone or somebody might think i'm a chud!" may be hyperbole, but it's hardly made-up. it's an (unkind) exaggeration of recent posts in this thread