Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1390255874216644612?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not a surprise but kind of disastrous for wrestling. All Japan are meant to be running their biggest show in years on the 15th in Ota Ward, obviously New Japan have their Tokyo Dome show, SEAdLINNNG & Stardom have Korakuen show scheduled for the 12th & 14th respectively & NOAH have an Ota Ward Gym show on the 30th.

Goes without saying that preventing people dying is far more important than the bottom lines of wrestling companies mind. Probably this should be the norm until Japan actually gets its finger out and starts vaccinating people at a reasonable rate.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sucks for those shows, but as people have said it's depressingly necessary.

The CyberFight promotions have done pretty good Korakuen Hall no crowd shows over the last week, but I think DDT and TJPW have a bit of an advantage there as they're more geared towards unorthodox presentation. Can't imagine what New Japan will do with an empty Dome show.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Franky New Japan should just scrap the dome show all together. What's the point of running Tokyo Dome if it's limited to 5,000 max anyways?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Knowing how dire the situation can get in Japan I wonder if NJPW is running these big-venue events out of desperation to recoup the loss in revenue last year, which just bit them back as cases start to ramp up again. The Dome shows feel completely unnecessary and they'd be undercutting Dominion at best.

I'm really sorry that this has to happen but I would rather have zero wrestler/staff deaths from COVID than them risking it. The virus can really end you regardless of your physical condition if you so happen to be unlucky.

That said I haven't heard a Japanese promotion have a literal COVID outbreak on their hands, so congrats to them for doing the bare minimum...

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
gently caress, I didn't even consider the Hana Kimura memorial show.....this sucks.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Lily Catts posted:

Knowing how dire the situation can get in Japan I wonder if NJPW is running these big-venue events out of desperation to recoup the loss in revenue last year, which just bit them back as cases start to ramp up again. The Dome shows feel completely unnecessary and they'd be undercutting Dominion at best.

I'm really sorry that this has to happen but I would rather have zero wrestler/staff deaths from COVID than them risking it. The virus can really end you regardless of your physical condition if you so happen to be unlucky.

That said I haven't heard a Japanese promotion have a literal COVID outbreak on their hands, so congrats to them for doing the bare minimum...

Not an outbreak, but New Japan just this week had 2 wrestlers test positive.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Saki Akai/Chris Brookes match will be free soon.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1390232823705919492?s=20

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
I did saw anyone talking about this, so I will bring it up.

At first, I thought it was a joke, but since multiple sources bring it up, I assume it's real.

Atsushi Onita launches new wrestling promotion, FMWE, which exclusively only does “explosion” matches.

The company's inaugural show 'Independence Day' will be held on July 4 at the Tsurumi Fruit and Vegetable Market in Yokohama and FMWE plans to distribute the event worldwide. 
Onita noted in a press conference that the mainstay of the promotion will be Exploding Deathmatches and cited the Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch between Kenny Omega and Jon Moxley as the reason for starting the new company. 

"More than one million people around the world saw the Current Bombing Deathmatch that AEW held in Florida, USA. I received many requests from people who saw it, saying, 'I really want to see Onita's current bombing. The first time I did an explosion 30 years ago, it shocked everyone who saw it. When I went to the US, I received thousands of requests from people who wanted to see a real electric current explosion. In this situation, I had a dream that I wanted to realise in the United States. At the Corona disaster, my dream grew and grew, and I decided to give it a try, to take action, and to take the first step. I met President Kajiki at a wrestling venue and I thought I could work with him."

Sources:
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/ff0e81422d3ac94706509c04a283b9cb12669bb7

https://cultaholic.com/posts/atsushi-onita-launches-new-promotion

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm imagining a "human reverse mortgage" scenario where Onita sells tickets years in advance for his funeral, which would be capped off by his coffin exploding.

Not even satire, he would 100% do it if he got the idea.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ditch posted:

I'm imagining a "human reverse mortgage" scenario where Onita sells tickets years in advance for his funeral, which would be capped off by his coffin exploding.

Not even satire, he would 100% do it if he got the idea.

It'll be like a Ferengi funeral.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

State of emergency till end of may

https://twitter.com/nikkeiasia/status/1390333046948237316?s=21

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So that's Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Nagoya & Fukuoka all without fans. Interesting that the prefectures around Tokyo like Saitama & Kanagawa haven't been added yet.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I just hope CyberFest escapes this.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Japan has a lot going for it (island nation; long-standing cultural support for anti-pandemic measures), but between the low vaccination level, average age, and insane density, they have every reason to be cautious.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
They also have a lot of issues around vaccination in general not just the low rate (vaccine trust is low because of a couple of lawsuits in the 90s and 00s, laws about not importing vaccines and having to manufacture it in japan itself.) i don’t expect things to get back to the before times until 2022 at the earliest.

Did see that the latest SoE rolled back “big events” to 5000/50%, but it’s a venue call, so it’ll be interesting to see which ones reopen and which ones don’t. I know DG had so many shows that they cancelled and had to reshuffle King of Gate that I don’t know how they are going to do this without doing empty arena tapings in Kobe like 2020.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This is how you advertise the CyberFest show

https://twitter.com/the_leave_p/status/1390438087268855815?s=20

(loving drooling at the prospect of Jun vs Go now, drat you CyberFight. Last singles match was 2015)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1390417537259606016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Forgot to do the schedule yesterday but uhhhh, there's not much

8/5/2021, Saturday

11am JST/1pm AEDT/3am BST/10pm EST/7pm PST

New Japan Collision 2021
Oceanview Pavilion, Port Hueneme
Adrian Quest & Barrett Brown vs Kevin Knight & The DKC
Jordan Clearwater vs Misterioso vs Royce Isaacs
Chris Dickinson & Jon Moxley vs Ren Narita & Yuji Nagata
Live on NJPW World

2pm JST/4pm AEDT/6am BST/1am EST/10pm PST

Ice Ribbon #1116
Ice Ribbon Dojo, Saitama
Budou vs Mochi Miyagi
Cherry vs Ibuki Hoshi
Akane Fujita & Suzu Suzuki vs Maya Yukihi & Thekla
Rina Shingaki vs Risa Sera
Mochi Miyahi & Totoro Satsuki vs Tsukasa Fujimoto & Tsukushi Haruka
Live on NicoNico

Also shows by Big Japan & Colega

9/5/2021, Sunday

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/3:30am BST/10:30pm EST/7:30pm PST

DDT Ultimate Tag League 2021 In Korakuen Hall
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Hideki Okatani vs Toi Kojima
Akito & Keigo Nakamura vs Danshoku Dieno & Super Sasadango Machine vs Kazuki Hirata & Toru Owashi vs Sanshiro Takagi & Yukio Naya
Damnation (Mad Paulie, Soma Takao & Tetsuya Endo) vs Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi & Saki Akai) & Yuki Iino
Yukio Sakaguchi vs Yusuke Okada
HARASHIMA & Naomi Yoshimura vs MAO & Yuki Ueno
Ultimate Tag League 2021: Antonio Honda & Chris Brookes vs Jun Akiyama & Makoto Oishi
Ultimate Tag League 2021: Daisuke Sasaki & Yuji Hino vs Konosuke Takeshita & Shunma Katsumata
Live on Wrestle Universe

Shows from Ice Ribbon, Big Japan, 2AW, Kyushu Pro, Marvelous & Oz Academy

10/5/2021, Monday

1pm JST/3pm AEDT/5am BST/12am EST/9pm PST

DDT Ultimate Tag League 2021 In Wrestle Universe
Unknown Venue
Ultimate Tag League 2021: Kazusada Higuchi & Yukio Sakaguchi vs Konosuke Takeshita
Ultimate Tag League 2021: Antonio Honda & Chris Brookes vs Daisuke Sasaki & Yuji Hino
Live on Wrestle Universe

Also show from Colega

11/5/2021, Tuesday

Nothing but Colega

12/5/2021, Wednesday

10am JST/12pm AEDT/2am BST/9pm EST/6pm PST

Gatoh Move ChocoPro 115
Chris Brookes, Drew Parker & Yuna Mizumori vs Pencil Army (Emi Sakura, Lulupencil & Minoru Fujita
Live on Youtube

6pm JST/8pm AEDT/10am BST/5am EST/2am PST

SEAdLINNNG Korakuen Hall
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Ayame Sasamura & Rico Kaiju vs Rina Yamashita & Yumiko Hotta
BEYOND THE SEA Tag Team Titles: Citrus Wind (Arisa Nakajima & Nanae Takahashi)(c) vs Las Fresa de Egoista (Asuka & Makoto)
Rest of card TBA
Unfortunately I've seen nothing about if this is going to go ahead or not on social media so I'll list it anyway

Also Colega & Tenryu Project shows (potentially)

13/5/2021, Thursday

Colega

14/5/2021, Friday

Shows from Colega, Sendai Girls & Stardom. Stardom show is the 2nd round of the Cinderella tournament & I have no idea if it'll go ahead with no fans.

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
May 30th Mitsuharu Misawa Memorial 2021 ~ Forever in our hearts ~ Card

Keiji Muto & Masato Tanaka vs Naomichi Marufuji & Masakatsu Funaki
Atsushi Kotoge (c) vs Yuya Susumu | GHC Junior
Yoshinari Ogawa & HAYATA (c) vs Daisuke Harada & Hajime Ohara | GHC Junior Tag
Seiki Yoshioka vs YO-HEY
Takashi Sugiura (c) vs Kazushi Sakuraba | GHC National

More TBA

═══════════════
I'm really looking foward for this one. Junior tag and National title matches should be really good.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lily Catts posted:

That is 100 % why they are running the amount of shows that they are. I also am operating under the theory that venues are offering booking fee reductions based on what venues all promotions are booking so they are also trying to cash in on that

But yeah they will be chasing lost ticket sales for the next few years at a minimum

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stardom running the Budokan is proof building fees are down as even if Bushiroad is spending to grow it that's normally a huge leap in building and cost

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I don't know if the numbers on Cagematch are accurate, but if they are, STARDOM outdrew NJPW at the Budokan.

As well they should, that was a great card.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

poo poo, I missed what sounded like a great opening night of the tag league :doh:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

poo poo, I missed what sounded like a great opening night of the tag league :doh:

Yeah I thought it loving ruled. Sauna boys went nuts and Okada had another standout match, plus it was great seeing Yoshimura hasn't lost a step from his injury. No crowd obviously hurt it but DDT are one of the best companies at working around restrictions. Oh, and also we had another authority member getting lovely at the wrestlers, this time it was the head of the Korakuen staff reprimanding Takagi

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 9, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Watching the NOAH Korakuen from 18/4 & I gotta shout out Fujita & Kashin vs Sugi & Saku because it went from 0-100 extreme violence with Sugi & Kaz slapping the bejesus outta each other. loving rad. Very excited to catch up to their singles match

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NOAH reminds me a lot of old timey UFC, which is pretty cool. They even got oldman Mutoh's wrestlefucking over. Masa Kitamiya got to toss him around quite a bit too. Mutoh's wizards still look like he's just hypnotizing people with his knee tho.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZanAFTxR1B4

Dropping you some 3 hours of background music for this Monday. Legendary themes from 70s to the present day. Really love how the creator of the mix has paid attention to the flow of the songs, having Makabe's theme go into Harashima, Nagata flowing into Akiyama etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dragon Gate's annual King of Gate tournament was due to have started on the 7th at Korakuen (with further shows on the 8th & 9th), but couldn't happen with everything going down. Instead they'll be running a catch-up no-fans show this Friday on the Network.

14/5/2021, Friday

3pm JST/5pm AEDT/7am BST/2am EST/11pm PST

Dragon Gate King of Gate Night 1
Unconfirmed Venue
King of Gate Block B: Dragon Kid vs SB KENTo
King of Gate Block C: HYO vs Kaito Ishida
King of Gate Block B: Eita vs Jason Lee
King of Gate Block A: Ben-K vs Naruki Doi
King of Gate Block C: Keisuke Okuda vs U-T
King of Gate Block A: BxB Hulk vs Takashi Yoshida
King of Gate Block B: Kzy vs Susumu Yokosuka
King of Gate Block A: Diamante vs Kota Minoura
King of Gate Block C: Shun Skywalker vs YAMATO
Live on DG Network

The tournament format is as follows: 3 blocks of 6 wrestlers, 2 points for a win, 1 for a time limit draw, 0 for a loss, no contest or double countout. Winners of each block goes into the semi-finals on June 3rd at Korakuen along with the winner of a last chance battle royal held in Hiroshima on May 30th (I'm not clear on how many of the defeated wrestlers will be in the Battle Royal). Then the winners of those 2 matches meet on the same night to decide the King of Gate, with the winner likely to get a Open The Dream Gate Title shot at some point (probably at Kobe World Hall in July, biggest show of the year for the company).

A Block
Ben-K (High End)
BxB Hulk (RED)
Diamante (RED)
Kota Minoura (Masquerade)
Naruki Doi (Unattached)
Takashi Yoshida (Unattached)

B Block
Dragon Kid (High End)
Eita (RED)
Jason Lee (Masquerade)
Kzy (Natural Vibes)
SB KENTo (RED)
Susumu Yokosuka (Natural Vibes)

C Block
HYO (RED)
Kaito Ishida (RED)
Keisuke Okuda (High End)
Shun Skywalker (Masquerade)
U-T (Natural Vibes)
YAMATO (High End)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd almost nom it for an HM but Masao Inoue vs. Takashi Sugiura is such a weird gem of a match(card: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=310375&page=2), I doubt it'd catch anyone's fancy. Inoue defiantly keeps his feet under the most withering punishment Takashi Suigiura can dish out. I will always pop for middle aged dudes blasting each other. They've been doing this match since 2010 so there's quite a bit of story behind it, which is always fun. IIRC their last encounter they tried to make it a more straight faced affair but Inoue's physically pretty ate up. So this time they played with that, blowing Inoue up by making him run all the ropes. This naturally breaks down into a straight beating including a really gnarly looking knee from Sugiura.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Glad we're still going to get those King of Gate matches at least, especially the Shun/YAMATO match which I've been waiting for since Shun got the Dream Gate, but Dragon Gate losing the May Korakuen again really hurts. It's always a super important one as it's basically the immediate fallout to DoA and the first step on the road to Kobe World, and with it being the kick-off to King of Gate, you're always guaranteed 2 or 3 MOTYCs. COVID sucks.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ajrockstarv/status/1392132625842671622?s=19

This is being advertised in today's ShuPro and this seems to be the first anyone has heard of it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/ajrockstarv/status/1392132625842671622?s=19

This is being advertised in today's ShuPro and this seems to be the first anyone has heard of it.

Wait, aren't NEXTREAM defending the Tag belts on that show?

Well, were, just checked the AJPW website and the show is postponed until June 26th. Makes sense

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/hardhitpro/status/1392162590449602563?s=20

Hard Hit vs GLEAT/Lidet UWF is a natural fit really. Very excited for this.

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
Atsushi Onita: “I complied my idea of deathmatch into shape. I will announce tomorrow about the ultimate deathmatch on July 4th. What kind of evolution will it make? FMW and I are like zombies, no matter how many times we die, we will back to live.”

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, aren't NEXTREAM defending the Tag belts on that show?

Well, were, just checked the AJPW website and the show is postponed until June 26th. Makes sense

This is an Amazon Prime thing

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

FatBagzJones posted:

Atsushi Onita: “I complied my idea of deathmatch into shape. I will announce tomorrow about the ultimate deathmatch on July 4th. What kind of evolution will it make? FMW and I are like zombies, no matter how many times we die, we will back to live.”

There's only one thing I get excited about on July 4th and it's the GCW backyard show

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1392391785159217152

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I forgive the death of Anti-Wrestlers Alliance because the Funky Express crew is the best. Keep your daughters away from Saito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
Atsushi Onita explained the concept for the first FMW-E main event: two sides of the ring will have exploding barbed wire, there will be 2 barbed wire current blast bats and a barbed wire barricade mat mine blast (8 mines) will be installed on one side on the floor. In addition, a newly developed barbed wire current blast table will be used