Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

it is difficult for me to imagine two things i care less about than fortnite and ios

it's annoying that this case has the potential to be really important but it's between two extremely hateable parties, kind of like oracle v google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

it's annoying that this case has the potential to be really important but it's between two extremely hateable parties, kind of like oracle v google

yeah as annoying as they are, epic really needs to win

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If Apple were forced to make a switch in IOS that opens up 3rd party, it'll be a like a ""if you flick this switch, you are dead to us. use your phone how you see fit but dont come crying to us when someone steals your bitcoins"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

echinopsis posted:

If Apple were forced to make a switch in IOS that opens up 3rd party, it'll be a like a ""if you flick this switch, you are dead to us. use your phone how you see fit but dont come crying to us when someone steals your bitcoins"

yeah, it'd be fun to see stuff like apple pay, find my, icloud keychain, hell, icloud anything gets grayed out upon checking the box lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple already has a strong signing and entitlement system, they’ll just make it so non-app-store apps can’t do any of those things

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
remember that thing where google had an “open” os and you could sideload apps and even your own App Store? that ushered in a great app utopia.

oh wait, google tied all of their useful frameworks into google play services, which you can only use if you’re distributing via the google play store, and all of the other app stores never went anywhere.

but I’m sure Apple won’t do that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if android did not exist, it would be necessary for apple to invent it

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

remember that thing where google had an “open” os and you could sideload apps and even your own App Store? that ushered in a great app utopia.

oh wait, google tied all of their useful frameworks into google play services, which you can only use if you’re distributing via the google play store, and all of the other app stores never went anywhere.

but I’m sure Apple won’t do that.

You can install third party app stores but you have to do it through the wallet UI.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i agree with epic in principle but in practice ios is good and android is terrible and i don’t want ios to get hosed up

git apologist fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 6, 2021

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

are any of epic's arguments based on some sort of monopoly definition for Apple?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
compromise position: apple still get to demand 30%, but epic can pay them in monopoly money

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gentle Autist posted:

i agree with epic in principle but in practice ios is good and android is terrible and i don’t want ios to get hosed up

this sums up a lot of how i feel

also how is epic making so much fortnite money and supposedly unprofitable

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

if android did not exist, it would be necessary for apple to invent it

just one step removed from creating a guy to get mad at

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

yeah, that much is certainly true. but i think the logical conclusion for yospos at least is to vary between going "lol" and pounding the table screaming "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!"

not like we have any impact on the outcome anyway.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mediaphage posted:

this sums up a lot of how i feel

also how is epic making so much fortnite money and supposedly unprofitable

setting money on fire to try and break the steam stranglehold on PC gaming, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

refleks posted:

are any of epic's arguments based on some sort of monopoly definition for Apple?

the core argument is over what counts as "the market"

epic's argument is that the market is iOS, where apple holds a monopoly and the court should break it up

apple's argument is that the market is video games, where apple is a minor player at best and the court doesn't need to do anything because customers can play fortnite on lots of other consoles and PCs

so how much are the interests of customers hurt by being unable to play fortnite on ios specifically without apple's permission?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

epic's argument is that the market is iOS, where apple holds a monopoly and the court should break it up

apple's argument is that the market is video games, where apple is a minor player at best and the court doesn't need to do anything because customers can play fortnite on lots of other consoles and PCs

so how much are the interests of customers hurt by being unable to play fortnite on ios specifically without apple's permission?

nothing of value is lost - court finds the defendant innocent.

what if you moved this to a supermarket... can spaghettio's sue Albertson if they wont stock them?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if anything apple is doing people a favor by stopping them playing an fps on their phones

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

carry on then posted:

yeah as annoying as they are, epic really needs to win

:lol: no gently caress epic please keep ios sandboxed and don't turn it into android.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: no gently caress epic please keep ios sandboxed and don't turn it into android.

louis rossman also needs to win the right to repair campaign

basically every apple hater is completely right

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

carry on then posted:

basically every apple hater is completely right

:rolleyes:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

haveblue posted:

part of apple’s argument is also that the consoles work under similar terms, you need to use their payment system and they get a 30% cut, so why does epic have an issue with that on ios but not on the switch? no doubt microsoft, sony, and nintendo are watching this thing closely as well since it could affect their platforms as well

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

msft already announced a cut to 12% for games on the 'box store.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

refleks posted:

only on pc afaik. but yeah, there may be things afoot in a lot of places.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

refleks posted:

because their stores are losing badly on consoles and pc compared to Sony

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

also because they want everyone to put their games on their subscription service

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah its almost like the nature of apple's store monopoly discourages platform improvements and the lack of choice for developers is the entire point of this case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

refleks posted:

nothing of value is lost - court finds the defendant innocent.

what if you moved this to a supermarket... can spaghettio's sue Albertson if they wont stock them?

this would be more like spaghetti-os demanding to set up their own booth inside the albertson and keep all the money, and albertson arguing that if customers want spaghetti-os they can just go outside and pick up the cans that grow naturally on the ground and this analogy kinda got away from me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ok but does the store have spagetti-os or do I have to go to the other store because the kids are already crying

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

haveblue posted:

this would be more like spaghetti-os demanding to set up their own booth inside the albertson and keep all the money

isn't this how sears worked for awhile?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Shaggar posted:

yeah its almost like the nature of apple's store monopoly discourages platform improvements and the lack of choice for developers is the entire point of this case.
yeah I can't wait for apple to lose this case so I have to sign up to a bunch of inevitably subscription-based app stores that have no functional curation or privacy protection in place to get everything I can currently get in one place that at least tries to uphold some sort of standard.

When facebook can force people to get the facebook app on the Facebook App Store and undo all of Apple's work to protect my privacy, that will definitely be better for me as a consumer.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

or, you know, apple retains the reviewing role and charges something reasonable for that service, but once the app is signed does not get to bundle that up with hosting, card processing, and advertising.

or perhaps, most likely, some third alternative that is stupider and funnier than either of these two.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Wtf is this point? How does requiring their lovely fps dont eat up memory means apple is discouraging platform improvement...

developers have plenty of choices, they can just choose to not use the app store.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

toiletbrush posted:

yeah I can't wait for apple to lose this case so I have to sign up to a bunch of inevitably subscription-based app stores that have no functional curation or privacy protection in place to get everything I can currently get in one place that at least tries to uphold some sort of standard.

When facebook can force people to get the facebook app on the Facebook App Store and undo all of Apple's work to protect my privacy, that will definitely be better for me as a consumer.
yeah this is exactly what happened on android and you can no longer install facebook from the official store

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mad Wack posted:

isn't this how sears worked for awhile?

i don't think so. sears turned each of its individual internal departments into separate "businesses" that had to charge money for their services and spend money for those of others, so each individual in-store department had to barter and negotiate for floor space with the others

best buy started allowing device companies to design and staff areas of the sales floor with their own employees although i have no idea how the revenue sharing works for a sold iphone from the apple section, for example.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

butt dickus posted:

yeah this is exactly what happened on android and you can no longer install facebook from the official store
if google ever prohibit Facebook from tracking you like apple does then yeah that probably will happen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

the app store is incredibly stagnant and hasnt had any significant app in years. the games are already all flash-level iap trash, the only difference between now and what epic is proposing is epic wants to get all the iap revenue instead of splitting it.

any hypothetical facebook app store that facebook users choose to use would still have to deal with the privacy features built in to ios. the only things that would be replaced with a 3rd party app store is payments and distribution.

refleks posted:

Wtf is this point? How does requiring their lovely fps dont eat up memory means apple is discouraging platform improvement...\

the point is apple is claiming the app store provides critical benefits that help developers, and epic is pointing out all the failings of the app store. apple's decision to have poor memory management so they can keep their 1st party service revenue generators running is a detriment to developers and to users.

quote:

developers have plenty of choices, they can just choose to not use the app store.

what are you talking about? they absolutely cant choose to not use the app store. thats the whole point of this.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

refleks posted:

Wtf is this point? How does requiring their lovely fps dont eat up memory means apple is discouraging platform improvement...

'get better at coding' offends me, a developer that keeps adding dances I've lifted wholesale for pure profit and further-

it's kinda funny that they're complaining about memory profiles when they've had to add scaled back modes for other consoles and old pcs because the game ran poorly

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i really wonder if these "memory constraint" issues are due to games like fartnite or pubg mobile downloading thousands of mbs of in-game content updates each time you launch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the memory thing is that a certain class of graphics allocation which is process-specific but actually held out of process was not being counted against the process memory limit because of an oversight. having an alternative app store would not have prevented them from having to fix their app’s memory use to stay under budget when the budget calculation was fixed. and epic is well aware of that; the only thing they care about is not paying apple a cut