Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

ClumsyThief posted:

Not sure how many people here have or are pursuing AWS certs but I just pass the SysOps Admin Associate and that test is not a joke. Failed my first attempt and passed my second about an hour ago.

Admittedly I came at it from almost zero, having only done the entry level CCP cert and with no professional AWS experience but it's an exam that you can't really fake via brain dumps and such. You either understand the main services and how they all interact or you don't.

Taking a week off now but that leaves me with just the CCNA left for certs at WGU and per this thread and other places I think I'll be working through Lammle's books for it.

Plugging Neil Anderson's Udemy class ($12)and the BOSON practice tests ($90?) for CCNA. I passed it in about 2.5 months with little background knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boson tests for CCNA are clutch. If it's the same as when I was in WGU then they are included with the course.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Sacrist65 posted:

Plugging Neil Anderson's Udemy class ($12)and the BOSON practice tests ($90?) for CCNA. I passed it in about 2.5 months with little background knowledge.

FCKGW posted:

Boson tests for CCNA are clutch. If it's the same as when I was in WGU then they are included with the course.

Cheers. I'll register a Cisco account later to open up the course and see if WGU supplies Boson, or I'll end up buying them.

I just ordered Lammle's 2-volume book set. I might do the Neil Anderson course, but supposedly students are getting free Udemy access soon so no reason to rush that. I struggle a little with the video courses anyways so if the book does the job I'll probably try to stick with it.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
So I just graduated from IT School here in Iceland and have a shiny diploma in my inbox - I got really decent grades and I'm mostly happy with what I learned, which was a ton of Active Directory and WS2019 stuff, essentially, which is what most Icelandic companies ask for anyway. One of my classmates already got a technician job at a fairly major IT Firm here which tends to lead to a full-on IT job in a year or two at the same company.

My one gripe with the diploma is that it was all built around the fairly ubiquitous MCSA certification, and now that's gone - My teacher was never able to give me a proper answer as to what certs we should try to acquire after graduation - Should I just get Comptia A+ certified and try to get some technician's gig like my coworker, or would it be a better idea to do MS-100 and MS-101 to become a Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert? I'm really open to any and all suggestions because the teacher for my course basically disappeared five months ago and all we had to go on were some assignments and quizzes.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pick a cloud platform, do the entry level certs for that and work out what you enjoy imo.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Microsoft has pretty decent certification paths if you're unsure which way to go: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone here taken the new CCNP exam? My CCNA is set to expire this November and I'm debating my options.

I dont work in networking anymore but it remains my primary background and I do some InfoSec work around enterprise networking. Ive had some people on my team tell me its not worth it and to just let it lapse. I've heard other people say its always nice to have, the networking guys take you a bit more seriously initially if you have CCNA or CCNP by your name.

So wondering how the new CCNP feels for folks, if its mostly layer 3 focused, or just a random hodgepodge like the CCNA?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has anyone here taken the new CCNP exam? My CCNA is set to expire this November and I'm debating my options.

I dont work in networking anymore but it remains my primary background and I do some InfoSec work around enterprise networking. Ive had some people on my team tell me its not worth it and to just let it lapse. I've heard other people say its always nice to have, the networking guys take you a bit more seriously initially if you have CCNA or CCNP by your name.

So wondering how the new CCNP feels for folks, if its mostly layer 3 focused, or just a random hodgepodge like the CCNA?

I didn't take the new CCNP ENCOR but general opinions I've read is that it os easier than R+S. I did ENSLD and thought it was fairly straightforward, maybe slightly more knowledge required than the old CCNA but nowhere near the leap the old CCNP:R&S were.

Personally if somebody not in my department tried to show off that they had the certification, even if it was just in your signature, I'd have a bad first impression of you. Do it if you just want to have an active certification (if your job requires so many or you might look for different opportunities in the future) but I'm on the side of your coworkers on this one.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the feedback.

I may just let it lapse. I'm scheduled to take my AWS Security Specialty cert in a few weeks, then I have my first kid on the way and would like to just relax, focus on the kid and not study for a while.

I definitely dont brag about any of my certs, or even have them by my signature, haha. Always thought that was tacky myself, but I have had others say they pay more attention if they see higher level certs next to a name.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For what it's worth, letting your CCNA lapse or not is your choice, but the CCNP no longer requires a CCNA.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I let my CCNA lapse years ago and its not on my resume but it comes up naturally in every interview and since I'm doing absolutely no network design or direct configuration of Cisco switches or whatever they understand "has all of the fundamentals/skills but not the cert."

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm going to commit to test A+ Certification. I have the Mike Meyers videos from Udemy and a library copy of his book as a reading reference. I have been trained for Prometric testing from an Enrolled Agent tax accounting cert prep course. lmao I showed Computer Builder Simulator to my wife to explain how the bits plug into each other. I should be good to test in about 4 weeks. This week has been full time effort and I've got clearance to set a date for like 3 weeks from now.

Anyone know how the test vouchers go? I've sussed out I gotta buy two sets of vouchers, but the various bundle bits leave me unsure which bundle gives me a voucher and a retake. That's basic right?

Anybody have any luck cold calling workforce services office for Lern2Code vouchers?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I couldn't find a cheap way to get the vouchers for my A+

Personally I found Messer's stuff was by far the closest to the exam but you really can't go wrong, it's not that hard.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I felt totally unprepared for the A+ test after Myers videos.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

dkj posted:

I felt totally unprepared for the A+ test after Myers videos.

Oh man, the only way I am getting anything out of Meyers is because I have like 15 years of exposure to computer touching, the dark rites of pcparts picking, and have assembled a collection poweruser tricks. Wife is completely out of computering and she was lost, tapped out by the 4 hour mark.

I picked up the Messer playlist from upthread. Reposting out of gratitude.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnlGHY8ObL8DiyP3AIu9vd3K

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnmwkCAdWUgCFvVK4IxMBTmb

Excuse me, I need to go into the bathroom and shout port numbers into the mirror.

FTP 21, 20
SSH 22
Telnet 23
SMTP 25
DNS 53
POP3 110
IMAP 143
HTTP 80
HTTPS 443

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

been using myers' videos to study for the comptia network+ exam
not really taking it super seriously, just watching them on and off sometimes when i feel like it

hoping that if i do end up doing the test i can stick it on my CV or some poo poo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
How strict are the CISSP domain categories?

The Commonwealth
Jun 6, 2008

I could have been someone. Well, so could anyone.

Woof Blitzer posted:

How strict are the CISSP domain categories?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I got the CISSP with just experience as an auditor. I don't think you need any direct job duties dealing with those domains.

The Commonwealth fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 2, 2021

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Yeah I don't even know why I asked, it seems like you can just be a basic rear end sysadmin or something for 5 years and then send them your resume. Do they even verify with your job or anything?

The Commonwealth
Jun 6, 2008

I could have been someone. Well, so could anyone.
I gave ISC2 contact information for my boss, but they never reached out to confirm anything.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone ever take GDSA, the SANS defensive security architecture cert? Thoughts on quality of course, prep for exam, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know but I've been eyeing it too so interested in any replies. GIAC is typically top notch (and $$$$) but I might take a gamble on it next year. My plans for FY22 right now are SABSA and maybe this GIAC bad boy if I can find time in my schedule for both.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I self certified, or whatever the term they use for self verification.

I had to send them a resume with relevant work experience and list a few people as references that they never ended up calling. About 2 weeks later I had my CISSP cert.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They probably audit the enrolment process as rigorously as their do their CPEs.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Is boson a good baseline of where you should be before taking the theoretical CEH?

This hot garbage of a cert is the last thing I need to complete for my degree. I've gone through the course materials, supplemented it with the Walker's AIO v10, and bought the boson exam prep. I thought I had a good handle on the content but scored in the low 70's on exam A boson today, which completely shattered my confidence.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Is boson a good baseline of where you should be before taking the theoretical CEH?

This hot garbage of a cert is the last thing I need to complete for my degree. I've gone through the course materials, supplemented it with the Walker's AIO v10, and bought the boson exam prep. I thought I had a good handle on the content but scored in the low 70's on exam A boson today, which completely shattered my confidence.

I've heard nothing but bad things about CEH. Is it worth getting anymore? Im looking for an entry level security cert and I'm leaning toward Cisco CyberOps because it refreshes my CCNA.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I passed my AWS Security Specialty exam today!

I swear 1/2 of the exam was KMS related. It was a great introduction to some services, and how some services can be used for security which will help me in my current InfoSec position.

It also reiterated that I really need to learn "DevOps" or some sort of programming/development skills in the future.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I self certified, or whatever the term they use for self verification.

I had to send them a resume with relevant work experience and list a few people as references that they never ended up calling. About 2 weeks later I had my CISSP cert.

Yeah, it seems to come down to whether you justify your experience according to the domains. I had an existing ISC2 member vouch for me for mine, but they never called any of my references, either. What I did do, though, is give them my resume and explicitly related my experience to specific domains in the explanation I gave them (quoted from my resume and said which domain it covered).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there anything like the sunflower CISSP guide but for the CCSP?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Any good net+ practice test? Messer doesn’t have any :(

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I used Boson for Net+, though it is a little pricey

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

99 bucks? Was it only one or were there multiple? Would you recommend it?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Any good net+ practice test? Messer doesn’t have any :(
Look into the Jason Dion practice tests.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Does anyone know of any good additional resources for the VMware vcp-dcv 2021 exam? I took the install, configure, and manage class and the lecturer made it pretty clear that the class alone isn't enough, and this practice exam from udemy that's kicking my rear end seems to be confirming it. I'm going through part 1 of this it-muscle study guide and it seems pretty alright. Is there anything else that I should be aware of that helped any of you all out?

Edit: Turns out Pearson has an official cert guide on their site. I think I'll just use that.

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 17, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just passed the first half of A+ and holy poo poo the Udemy course is hella insufficient. Thank you thread, for giving me the Prof Messer links.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah messer is the way to go. I’m just really bummed there is no net+ test

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah messer is the way to go. I’m just really bummed there is no net+ test

Here you go homie

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnmpdmX7RoTOyuNJQAb-r-gd

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Does Messer have any CCNA 200-301 stuff? Not seeinhg it from Googling

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

99 bucks? Was it only one or were there multiple? Would you recommend it?

It's $99 but it gives you three practice tests with something like 65 questions per test. There's a practice mode you can do where after every question you can hit "show me the answer" and it'll break down why each possible answer is correct or incorrect. I think they also have something like a no pass no pay thing so you can get refunded if you don't pass. I used it on A+, Net+, and Sec+ and never had any issue passing, so I thought it was worth it. I'll pick it up again for AWS certs and for PenTest+.

I was also in a tech college for it so between the class material and the Boson tests I had enough material to study from, I don't think I'd use Boson alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That’s what I’m using and it’s really good, unfortunately there’s no corresponding tests for net+