Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
As much as I dislike the MCU, I wouldn't disparage anybody for having a sincere reaction to something they feel connected to. It's cool people show enthusiasm and emotion as long as it's not obnoxious or inappropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Being bothered by crowd noise during populist entertainment like that strikes me as very joyless and stuffy.

I normally hate screaming and cheering at the theater. But Endgame on opening weekend felt like the one time I was good with it, and in fact loved it. It's not some piece of art, you're not missing out on some great dialogue during the cheering. It's a loving wrestling match. People in my theater were screaming "Yibambe!" before the characters on screen even started to, just when they saw Black Panther. It was cathartic, a release of energy. It was fun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah, I wanna Paul Verhoeven Nunsploitation movie!

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-31QJXV3iA :nws:

https://twitter.com/ArmyOfMeat/status/1389969549584486400?s=19

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Thread’s starting to feel like the 90s are back. Stop being so drat cynical and detached and let people enjoy things. If you want a quiet socially-shared experience go to the opera or something.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The only time theater noises are bad is during horror movies imo. Let me get scared please

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Retrowave Joe posted:

Thread’s starting to feel like the 90s are back. Stop being so drat cynical and detached and let people enjoy things. If you want a quiet socially-shared experience go to the opera or something.

Pretty much everywhere I have lived (mostly Europe, some Asia) had quiet theater audiences. People hooting and hollering during a movie sounds horrible to me.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It's pretty easy to avoid if it bothers you that much, just wait a couple weeks to watch it in theaters or watch it at home.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I once rode a rollercoaster. I found it tightly plotted and very well-paced, but my experience was completely soured by the untermenschen around me with their whooping and hollering

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my friend was very embrassed when i tried starting to get the 5 other people in the theater with us to clap with me at the end of Creed

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I heard people clapping at the end of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Jesus wept.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s big, loud, stupid has sex and racist jokes. Why wouldn’t Americans clap at the end of it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

It’s big, loud, stupid has sex and racist jokes. Why wouldn’t Americans clap at the end of it

The ending is Optimus ripping The Fallen’s face off, saying something honorable, then credits roll to Linkin Park.

It’s perfect.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I’ve posted this story before, but a guy exclaiming, in complete earnest surprise, “bitch got hit by a bus” at the end of an otherwise silent screening of Final Destination, elevated that experience from ‘meh’ to top 5 greatest theater experience of all time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Similarly, Cliffhanger went from a meh action flick to a cinematic masterpiece for the entire house when the elderly Cantonese woman in the middle of the theater started exclaiming "Ai yah, don't do that, be careful!" during all the tension and action scenes. It was loving hilarious and the entire audience was laughing along. Stands up as of my most memorable moviegoing experiences, right next to the two dudes that stood up in the middle of Falling Down to trade haymakers for 10 seconds, then sit back down again to watch the rest of the movie.

Talking on cell phones, people asking their partners "what happened?, loud chewers, etc, all suck. But I'm totally into audience reactions if they're genuine because it's contagious. One of the films I've been swept up in the most was Vertical Limit, which is not a great film but the audience that day for whatever reason was 100% invested in it, you could feel it in the air. Right up to the point where the film snapped in the projector at the climax of the movie when Scott Glenn reappears to rescue Chris O'Donnell's sister and the whole audience screamed "NOOOO!" in unison.

Paul Verhoeven tells a story about going to an "urban neighbourhood" to watch Robocop with his DP on opening night. They knew they had a hit when the OCP CEO asked Robo at the end of film "What's your name, son?" and the entire audience screamed "MURPHY!!!!". That kind of poo poo is awesome.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
People who stand up and clap after movies at major commercial theatres confuse the poo poo out of me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know a couple who broke up over clapping at movies.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
A raucous crowd laughing through Crash was the best way to experience that movie

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Some dude yelled "KHANNNNN!" at the start of Star Trek: Nemesis, everybody laughed, and that turned out to be the highlight of the entire movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This sure is a Saw movie trailer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COgCUTWB6fb/?igshid=1h193zuioqtft

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

One of the top 3 greatest theater going experiences of my life was Twilight: Breaking Dawn: Part 2. Hear me out. My wife had been a fan of the series, while understanding they were trash (whatever, we all like trash), but hadn't wanted to see any of them in the theater, because, again, she knew they were trash. But for the last movie she wanted to finally see one in the theater, so I, of course, said I'd go with her. We went opening night. Theater was packed, almost entirely with teen girls and women in their 20's and 30's.

So I'm sitting in this movie, thinking it's mostly a piece of crap (though better than the other ones, because suddenly they're introducing a bunch of vampires with specific super powers? That's cool). Anyway, it gets to the "final battle", and the good vampires and werewolves line up against the bad vampires, and the leaders of both walk up to each other to talk. Suddenly Michael Sheen rips the head off the good vampire's head (the patriarch of the family). The whole theater gasps. My wife says, "Well that didn't happen in the book. But as long as they don't light him on fire, they can still bring him back." (Apparently a rule in this series.) They immediately light him on fire. The entire theater erupts in screams. Then, all hell breaks loose.

Main characters are dying left and right. Some vampire with blonde hair dies. The ground opens up and some dog falls down it in slow motion and dies. I don't know who it is, but the theater sure does, because everyone is crying.

And I mean openly weeping. Teenage girls and women in the 20's and 30's are screaming, crying, and gnashing their teeth. It's absolute chaos. And I'm just there looking around laughing my god drat rear end off. I'm loving every second of it. More blood for the blood god!

It should be noted that apparently none of this happened in the book, so not a single person in that theater saw this coming. They were blindsided. By the end of it, half the characters everyone knows, on both sides, are loving dead. Some old, tired vampire is killed, and right before he dies, he says, "...finally." It was glorious.

Suddenly Bella and Edward rip Michael Sheen's head off, and we see his POV as they slowly bring a torch towards him...and we back up to the beginning of the battle. It was all a vision one character was giving Sheen of what would happen if the battle took place.

The theater didn't know what the hell to think. There were gasps. Whimpers. "Wh...wh...what?!" They were holding each other.

And I just silently said to myself, "That was loving amazing."

I talked to a friend of mine, and he said the exact same thing happened to him when he went to see it with his wife, and he had the same reaction. We may be bad people. But the point is, some theaters don't need to be quiet.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 6, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

wuffles posted:

I’ve posted this story before, but a guy exclaiming, in complete earnest surprise, “bitch got hit by a bus” at the end of an otherwise silent screening of Final Destination, elevated that experience from ‘meh’ to top 5 greatest theater experience of all time.

Drunken Master (2) was already amazing obviously but some guy near the front yelling "rewind that poo poo!" after a particularly cool move has stuck with me for... oh god, almost thirty years?!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I know theatre isn't the same thing but I gave a loud "ahaha" when Hamiltons son got killed. Only to get aggressively shushed, as this was in London. My daughter was suitably mortified.

Dude got what was coming to him imo.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

One of the top 3 greatest theater going experiences of my life was Twilight: Breaking Dawn: Part 2. Hear me out. My wife had been a fan of the series, while understanding they were trash (whatever, we all like trash), but hadn't wanted to see any of them in the theater, because, again, she knew they were trash. But for the last movie she wanted to finally see one in the theater, so I, of course, said I'd go with her. We went opening night. Theater was packed, almost entirely with teen girls and women in their 20's and 30's.

So I'm sitting in this movie, thinking it's mostly a piece of crap (though better than the other ones, because suddenly they're introducing a bunch of vampires with specific super powers? That's cool). Anyway, it gets to the "final battle", and the good vampires and werewolves line up against the bad vampires, and the leaders of both walk up to each other to talk. Suddenly Michael Sheen rips the head off the good vampire's head (the patriarch of the family). The whole theater gasps. My wife says, "Well that didn't happen in the book. But as long as they don't light him on fire, they can still bring him back." (Apparently a rule in this series.) They immediately light him on fire. The entire theater erupts in screams. Then, all hell breaks loose.

Main characters are dying left and right. Some vampire with blonde hair dies. The ground opens up and some dog falls down it in slow motion and dies. I don't know who it is, but the theater sure does, because everyone is crying.

And I mean openly weeping. Teenage girls and women in the 20's and 30's are screaming, crying, and gnashing their teeth. It's absolute chaos. And I'm just there looking around laughing my god drat rear end off. I'm loving every second of it. More blood for the blood god!

It should be noted that apparently none of this happened in the book, so not a single person in that theater saw this coming. They were blindsided. By the end of it, half the characters everyone knows, on both sides, are loving dead. Some old, tired vampire is killed, and right before he dies, he says, "...finally." It was glorious.

Suddenly Bella and Edward rip Michael Sheen's head off, and we see his POV as they slowly bring a torch towards him...and we back up to the beginning of the battle. It was all a vision one character was giving Sheen of what would happen if the battle took place.

The theater didn't know what the hell to think. There were gasps. Whimpers. "Wh...wh...what?!" They were holding each other.

I talked to a friend of mine, and he said the exact same thing happened to him when he went to see it with his wife, and he had the same reaction. We may be bad people. But the point is, some theaters don't need to be quiet.

From what I heard, the reason why they did this was because apparently people were horribly disappointed that the books ended with the two factions sitting down and settling their differences instead of a big fight. So they had a big fight... in someone's head so they could get back to the real ending.

If that's true, that's easily one of the best decisions in Hollywood history.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ugh, Shintaro Kago. He is a gross dude that created a guro manga of a horrific real life murder of a young girl.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ugh, Shintaro Kago. He is a gross dude that created a guro manga of a horrific real life murder of a young girl.

i love that flylo and the gang have kind of shoehorned kago into the culture similar to how ye did murakami

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Jackass 2 in theaters at midnight is one of the best cinema experiences at all time

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I saw Borat on release day when I was 17 with like 5 friends, best cinema experience of my life easy.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I saw the new Little Women in a packed theater right before the pandemic. I've never seen any version of it or watched the trailer for the new one, so when Bob Odenkirk walks in halfway through the movie saying "My Little Women!" after a particularly sad scene, I started crying with laughter for a good five minutes.

Every Fast & Furious movie is a good choice for a crowded theater, but I've never seen a whole theater cry as much as they did during Furious 7.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's not until you splice all the Marvel poo poo together that you realize how consistently ugly it is

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bows1 posted:

Jackass 2 in theaters at midnight is one of the best cinema experiences at all time

I almost puked from laughing so hard. That ruled so hard.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

thrawn527 posted:

At the time of release, I was technical manager for the German distributor of Twilight so I knew this scene well in advance. Cue German premiere night in Berlin with four screens showing this movie - each screening starting with a ten minute delay to the one before (as cast & crew introduced the film). I knew exactly when this scene would happen for all four screens so I just went into every single one as soon as it started. Long story short: I had your experience times four in about forty minutes. So many tears, so much confusion.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AlexF posted:

At the time of release, I was technical manager for the German distributor of Twilight so I knew this scene well in advance. Cue German premiere night in Berlin with four screens showing this movie - each screening starting with a ten minute delay to the one before (as cast & crew introduced the film). I knew exactly when this scene would happen for all four screens so I just went into every single one as soon as it started. Long story short: I had your experience times four in about forty minutes. So many tears, so much confusion.

I envy you so loving much.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Thaddius the Large posted:

A raucous crowd laughing through Crash was the best way to experience that movie

I'm not sure if you're talking about Cronenberg's Crash or Haggis's Crash but I feel like this applies either way.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

Some dude yelled "KHANNNNN!" at the start of Star Trek: Nemesis, everybody laughed, and that turned out to be the highlight of the entire movie.

Hahaha the same thing happened to me at the original Mortal Kombat movie. When the lights dimmed someone in the middle of the theater yelled "MOORRTALLL KOMMBATTT!" and the whole theater erupted in laughter.

That man's name was Albert Einstein.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Cacator posted:

I'm not sure if you're talking about Cronenberg's Crash or Haggis's Crash but I feel like this applies either way.

The latter, seeing it in a majority minority area helped quite a bit

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
A Quieter Place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdDN9d9Jio

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can only imagine people who saw Cronenberg's Crash instead of Haggis's Crash by mistake. Kind of like my friends in junior high that snuck into Naked Lunch thinking they were going to see some titties.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

lol great story. this reminds me of when I would go to Game of Thrones viewing parties when I read the books way beforehand.

I had the great pleasure to watch a heartbroken person slowly lower their heart shaped I LUV JOHN sign as they watched him getting stabbed to death.

lol good times.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I never read the books but got to see season 1 before my wife did and when Ned bites it she was totally distraught. She loved Ned Stark and Sean Bean himself. I think it was truly the most shocking thing in the entire series. More shocking than the Red Wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Extremely down. The first was a solid flick that did its job well and had monsters that felt scary. I worry that this one will get a bit too much into the worldbuilding and backstory, but if it can restrain itself decently it has the makings of a great post-apocalyptic monster story that uses the best zombie movie tropes and discards the overdone stuff.