Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://youtube.com/shorts/dtHrEYtEFgQ?feature=share
I got a snail problem and a snail solution.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Day 3 of my severum not eating. I know Prazi suppresses appetite in some saltwater fish, so hopefully it's just that but the angelfish are still eating like pigs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hello fish goons, my brother and I were having a discussion on what to put in his tank and we got onto this tanget and I gotta ask,

If I were to take something like this, clean the glass, cover the base in a sealant and ensure the glass and base are sealed together, would that be safe in an aquarium? All my googling is people making fake aquariums in jars or how to use jars to transfer fish between tanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leal posted:

Hello fish goons, my brother and I were having a discussion on what to put in his tank and we got onto this tanget and I gotta ask,

If I were to take something like this, clean the glass, cover the base in a sealant and ensure the glass and base are sealed together, would that be safe in an aquarium? All my googling is people making fake aquariums in jars or how to use jars to transfer fish between tanks.

Yeah that would be safe but be careful there's nothing lovely in the wood base which would eventually rot so...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah that would be safe but be careful there's nothing lovely in the wood base which would eventually rot so...

That is a good point, since it would be getting sealed anyway there is no reason to just toss that base and get a flat glass disc instead.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why are you putting this in an aquarium, and how do you plan to keep it from floating.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

What are you gonna put inside of it? Also it might get covered with algae

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

SerpaDesign on youtube put a terrarium in his aquarium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rKepQaCXE
it was always full of condensation inside and hard to see into - and he did an update a while later of how it was going.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 1, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I lost a bunch of fish yesterday. Motors in both filter units died overnight, water stopped flowing Tank went bad quickly and I was out working. Come back to my mother in a full panic.

Luckily she had transferred over as many as she could catch to the other aquarium so most of the loaches survived. I am hoping they recover fully.

Losses were the Bala Shark, two clown loaches and two mollies

Never had two filters go out at once before, don't know how it happened. And of course it happened in the tank that DOESN'T have a lot of plants in it because of my rear end in a top hat pleco

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

I lost a bunch of fish yesterday. Motors in both filter units died overnight, water stopped flowing Tank went bad quickly and I was out working. Come back to my mother in a full panic.

Luckily she had transferred over as many as she could catch to the other aquarium so most of the loaches survived. I am hoping they recover fully.

Losses were the Bala Shark, two clown loaches and two mollies

Never had two filters go out at once before, don't know how it happened. And of course it happened in the tank that DOESN'T have a lot of plants in it because of my rear end in a top hat pleco

Maybe a power surge? Might be worth getting a surge protector.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

VelociBacon posted:

Maybe a power surge? Might be worth getting a surge protector.

They were on a protector to begin with but maybe the protector has gone bad.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

I'm looking for one or two schools of fish and a few more fish in general to liven things up now that my tank is settled. I haven't gotten a new fish in a year or so.

I currently have a massive colony of dwarf shrimp
Vampire Shrimp
Bamboo Shrimp
4x elderly neon tetras
1x dwarf gourami
1x pearl gourami
1x bristlenose pleco
5x glass catfish
5x cory catfish

Looking for something that is active and lives in the middle/top of the aquarium. I'm currently looking at Threadfin Rainbowfish, Gertrude's Blue Eye Rainbowfish, and some species of Stiphodon gobies.

Just wanna bump this for the new page. I've been doing my homework and I've come up with some options:

Celestial Pearl Danios?
Honey Gourami?

in addition to the couple I listed in the previous post

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you don't want to top up your neons school, maybe add one of the other small kinds of tetra? Actually now that I think of it, they might not be mid/top dwelling. My sister has glowlight and pristella tetras that hang very low in the tank. I don't know if I'd add another gourami to the two you already have, maybe more glass cats, since 5 is a pretty small school? I feel like getting one new school and beefing up the school size of your existing fish might make for a happier community than adding smaller numbers of more types of fish.

I don't think CPDs are top dwelling, I've seen them (only in videos) to be mid/bottom dwellers I think. Rasboras tend to be top level dwelling, I have dwarf shrimp with espei and emerald eye rasboras and they seem to leave the shrimp alone, I often see baby shrimp in that tank. Red tail rasboras seem to be mid to top dwelling but I think they are big enough that they'd harass shrimp. I think the blue eyes could be a good choice but the thread fins maybe not, I have some recollection that they are a bit touchy and better off not in a community.

Ahhh it's hard making changes to an existing working set up, so difficult to judge whether a new addition will cause problems or tip the balance somehow.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I'd put CPDs in the mid-top dwelling category based on my bunch. They definitely hang towards the top, but will cruise the bottom on occasion. I'm interested to see how they do once they're out of a shallow 10 gallon and in the much deeper 40. My pearl gourami came to me so large I'm hesitant to put the lil guys in until they're a bit bigger.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm very eager to get my little rainbows out of the 15g and into the 100g with their parents but they're still too small and they grow very slowly. I've heard it takes 9 months to raise them to full size so we're nearly half way there and I think the rasboras could still eat them if they wanted, at the size they are now. I really don't want to see that after the challenge of raising them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The weird potential parasite nodules on the angels are gone. The one angel's eye is still cloudy. The severum hasn't eaten since all this started, and I am still finding white stringy poops when I clean the tank. Saturday I put carbon in the filter to give them a break before my next round of treatment. I figure if it is parasites I should have a couple days where I'm waiting for eggs to hatch. Severum looks more active this morning, but still no interest in food.

There is an aquatic veterinarian that has a video about parasites and she says they are actually extremely rare (she's seen 3 out of 500 cases) in anything but wild caught fish. She says the stringy clear poops just mean the fish hasn't eaten anything lately and that people just throw medications at fish for no real purpose. This explanation doesn't make any sense to me because it ignores the fact that so many tropical fish are bred in outdoor commercial facilities, then shipped to wholesalers and pet stores where everything is kept on the same system. At least in terms of potential internal parasites that seems to me to be effectively the same as wild caught. It also ignores the theory that some parasites are always there but fish can keep them at bay until they get stressed.

It seems wrong to me, but she's a DVM and I'm not so I don't really know.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The weird potential parasite nodules on the angels are gone. The one angel's eye is still cloudy. The severum hasn't eaten since all this started, and I am still finding white stringy poops when I clean the tank. Saturday I put carbon in the filter to give them a break before my next round of treatment. I figure if it is parasites I should have a couple days where I'm waiting for eggs to hatch. Severum looks more active this morning, but still no interest in food.

There is an aquatic veterinarian that has a video about parasites and she says they are actually extremely rare (she's seen 3 out of 500 cases) in anything but wild caught fish. She says the stringy clear poops just mean the fish hasn't eaten anything lately and that people just throw medications at fish for no real purpose. This explanation doesn't make any sense to me because it ignores the fact that so many tropical fish are bred in outdoor commercial facilities, then shipped to wholesalers and pet stores where everything is kept on the same system. At least in terms of potential internal parasites that seems to me to be effectively the same as wild caught. It also ignores the theory that some parasites are always there but fish can keep them at bay until they get stressed.

It seems wrong to me, but she's a DVM and I'm not so I don't really know.

I once had a human doctor tell me to take some pills called Nunca or some poo poo for my horrible sinus issues. They're placebo pills.

OOC what foods are you offering?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder how you can tell how many parasites there are when dead pets are flushed, binned, or buried, not autopsied. Are they sampling from breeders? From pet stores? I know in Australia with fish imports they were taking samples of live fish, killing and testing for disease and for a while they were talking about killing quite a high number in order to prove an import was safe. It would have driven up prices and crippled the hobby so I think it didn't escalate here like we feared it would. Hobbyists argued that there was no history of tropical fish disease escaping to the natural waterways, the one time it happened it was from fish farmers feeding iridovirus infected fish to their livestock against all recommendations, combined with unfavourable water temperatures. Anyway I can't see that kind of sampling happening in the US where imports seem very open and lax, so it does make me wonder where the data is coming from.

Was she talking about internal or external parasites or both? I've heard it argued that external parasites are under-studied and misunderstood, that what people treat as ich often isn't ich, and so on. I have also heard that stringy clear poop is just fish diarrhea, which could be from internal bacterial infections or even viral reasons I would imagine? Is there anyone studying viral diarrhea in fish? Very unlikely but it seems like a plausible cause for disease, something that could spread easily, be untreatable, and most likely not be fatal. I can see why people like Rachael O'Leary swear by keeping clean water and feeding well over blanket medicating; doing lots of water changes would flush disease out of the water column and nutritional support helps a fish fight its way back to health.

Anyway I think that disease is always present, we literally can't disinfect our tanks, there's filth on every surface all the time and that's fine when tanks are getting water changes and organics/wastes aren't building up and the fish have healthy immune systems.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I once had a human doctor tell me to take some pills called Nunca or some poo poo for my horrible sinus issues. They're placebo pills.

OOC what foods are you offering?

Tetra Chiclid sticks. This Severum has never eaten anything that isn't floating. If it gets to the gravel it's going to rot unless I remove it. Which is weird because he likes moving gravel, so its not like he doesn't know how to aim down. :iiam:

I try to feed him frozen krill sometimes but same issue, if he doesn't notice it while it's sinking, it's not going to get eaten. This is exacerbated by the fact that whenever I come over to the tank he hides behind plants in the corner.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Phi230 posted:

Just wanna bump this for the new page. I've been doing my homework and I've come up with some options:

Celestial Pearl Danios?
Honey Gourami?

in addition to the couple I listed in the previous post

I've had both threadfins and gertrudes, they would be a good addition provided your current gouramis aren't inclined towards fin nipping (for the threadfins). I wouldn't add another gourami if the two you have are getting along. They danios and rainbows are schooling, and would be happiest in groups of 9-12, although my threadfins will happily school with similarly sized fish and get along well with tetras. One of my males is persistently courting a green tetra, who is very confused by his overtures. I'm a fan of threadfins - they're gorgeous, peaceful and fun to watch when the males flare at each other. I've never had a physical altercation and my school is heavily male right now.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Tetra Chiclid sticks. This Severum has never eaten anything that isn't floating. If it gets to the gravel it's going to rot unless I remove it. Which is weird because he likes moving gravel, so its not like he doesn't know how to aim down. :iiam:

I try to feed him frozen krill sometimes but same issue, if he doesn't notice it while it's sinking, it's not going to get eaten. This is exacerbated by the fact that whenever I come over to the tank he hides behind plants in the corner.

He might like Vibra bites from hikari. It's designed to look like bloodworms (and tastes I guess? I asked, but the fish just kept staring as I held a jar of food). It's also designed to sink slowly, so fish can attack a tasty snack.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Apparently there's a Furan 2 shortage. June 1st is the earliest delivery I can find. I'll have to hope one of the specialty fish stores in town has some but I know the one closest to me doesn't have much in the way of dry goods. With the rise of Amazon and Chewy I can't say I blame them.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I successfully moved my 7.5 gal walstad shrimp tank to my new apartment today. I had been sweating it for weeks and had actual dreams about the process failing, like the ones you have about teeth falling out but it was all the shrimp lying dead in the dwarf hair grass.

I have about 2” of soil and gravel and drained the water level down to about 1” above that. I couldn’t bring myself to break down the entire tank since it has only been up for about 10 months and all the plants are thriving and the dwarf hair grass has spread out to a nice carpet. There was no way I was going to be able to catch all the shrimp and babies either. I ended up using an offcut bit of 3/4” plywood with a bit of foam padding held level with the top of the shelf it was on, and slid it directly over. Installation was reverse of removal and after carefully shining light through all the edges of the glass panes I didn’t see any evidence of cracking or silicone giving way. I’m going to give it a few days to see if anything leaks before I put all my books on the lower shelves though.

I did break down my 15 gal with a school of guppies a few days before the move. They live on the back porch in a large home depot tote now, and I think I am going to keep them there permanently. I need to set up the 15 gal tank again and get it cycled, then I’ll look into some new stocking options. I think I might go with some actual red cherry shrimp for this one, as my 7.5 gal has a bunch of natural color and chocolate + blue mutts from cross breeding the bargain bin assortment I ordered when I wasn’t sure they would all survive. Now that I have a better handle on it, I don’t mind dropping the dime on the more expensive pure red ones.

I would like to find some kind of fish that hang out near the top or middle of the tank, and could ideally maintain or grow their own population - perhaps another live bearer species, since the guppies seemed to really enjoy their time there and it was neat to watch them grow up without tending to eggs or breeder boxes. I think the shrimp would also breed well and not be threatened too much since there are two rather large bits of driftwood with lots of hiding spots for them to hang out in while they grow out.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Daisy's Rice fish might be a good alternative, or maybe clown killifish, both are small and in a well planted, gently filtered tank they have a chance of breeding and fry surviving since the kind of plant cover that shrimp like is also good for fry to hide in. Kubotai rasboras might work too, or dwarf rasboras, or trigonostigma (harelquin, espei, hengeli) - as long as there are some fine leaved dense plants for fry to hide in, a mature tank can result in fry raising themselves without intervention as long as there is a population of infusoria growing. Or you could supplement with powdered fry food which the shrimp will eat too. You don't need to collect eggs or mess around if you just want to let nature take it's course. Shrimp safe filtration is fry safe filtration and I think that's a pretty big factor in fry survival as well.

Livebearers, on the other hand, will breed and fill the tank more quickly than the shrimp will. In my experience with livebearers you want them in as big a tank as possible for a self sustaining colony so that they have room to grow to old age while the young fry are still coming. I've got some feral wild type guppies that don't eat their own young and you might find the same if you try endlers - which is nice if you're trying to breed them to sell, but not so nice if you just want a sustainable tank. For a long term colony type tank I don't think livebearers are a good idea, at least not in a 15g tank.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

Daisy's Rice fish might be a good alternative, or maybe clown killifish, both are small and in a well planted, gently filtered tank they have a chance of breeding and fry surviving since the kind of plant cover that shrimp like is also good for fry to hide in. Kubotai rasboras might work too, or dwarf rasboras, or trigonostigma (harelquin, espei, hengeli) - as long as there are some fine leaved dense plants for fry to hide in, a mature tank can result in fry raising themselves without intervention as long as there is a population of infusoria growing. Or you could supplement with powdered fry food which the shrimp will eat too. You don't need to collect eggs or mess around if you just want to let nature take it's course. Shrimp safe filtration is fry safe filtration and I think that's a pretty big factor in fry survival as well.

Livebearers, on the other hand, will breed and fill the tank more quickly than the shrimp will. In my experience with livebearers you want them in as big a tank as possible for a self sustaining colony so that they have room to grow to old age while the young fry are still coming. I've got some feral wild type guppies that don't eat their own young and you might find the same if you try endlers - which is nice if you're trying to breed them to sell, but not so nice if you just want a sustainable tank. For a long term colony type tank I don't think livebearers are a good idea, at least not in a 15g tank.

Thanks for this, that definitely helps narrow things down. I do plan on keeping it heavily planted, it already has lots of java moss, frogbit, bacopa and an amazon sword all ready to go back in. I had also knocked back the flow rate on the pump and added extra pre-filter sponge to the intakes for the ghost shrimp and betta that lived in there before I put the guppies in, so it looks like it is in good shape too. Not really looking to breed for sale or move to a larger tank, so I think I will definitely skip the livebearers.

Edit: the Daisy’s Ricefish seems like the perfect choice here, excellent recommendation.

ickna fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 5, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think my betta is horny. I did my best to not disturb his bubble nest while I was doing a water change. But I did disturb it and I feel awful for disturbing it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I think my betta is horny. I did my best to not disturb his bubble nest while I was doing a water change. But I did disturb it and I feel awful for disturbing it.

It means he's thriving :3

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Don’t—if you hadn’t given him a reason to fix and rebuild it he’d have done it anyway

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
He is already rebuilding it again. I think he is happy and horny. :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

He is already rebuilding it again. I think he is happy and horny. :)

Nothing to do with horny (every animal is hungry and horny 100% of the time because that's what ensured the successful propagation of their species), they just do that when conditions are roughly correct in their environment.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

VelociBacon posted:

every animal is hungry and horny 100% of the time because that's what ensured the successful propagation of their species
Same

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

How hot do you guys keep your aquariums? Right now I'm at 83F, which is kinda high but they seem to do better than when it got too cold.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

How hot do you guys keep your aquariums? Right now I'm at 83F, which is kinda high but they seem to do better than when it got too cold.

Depends entirely on what you have in there but my shrimp tank runs 72F-78F in the summer with no heater in it just with the fluctuation in the living room temp. In the winter (when it would dip below 70F) I run a small heater and the temp is essentially 76F constantly.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 6, 2021

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Our reef has been doing nicely lately. Red Sea Peninsula 650.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 6, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

So far, sitting steady at 24.5 SI temp units above freezing. I think that's around 76. Shrimp, rasboras and mystery snail seem to be happy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Our reef has been doing nicely lately. Red Sea Peninsula 650.

that looks awesome! How’s everything holding up?

I really want to love those Red Sea Reefers, but stuff like the included sump being made out of somewhat thin glass gives me pause.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

that looks awesome! how hard is it to keep the glass clean with that much natural light?

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

that looks awesome! How’s everything holding up?

I really want to love those Red Sea Reefers, but stuff like the included sump being made out of somewhat thin glass gives me pause.

Thanks! It's like 3.5 years old right now. I had a major crash due to not paying attention to my phosphates. It's been doing very well since then. The sump is made out of 1/2" glass, not sure what you mean. Maybe some of the smaller tanks are like that? The overall tank/stand/sump has been great honestly despite having major concerns about the stand.

Enos Cabell posted:

that looks awesome! how hard is it to keep the glass clean with that much natural light?

Thank you. As long as the nitrates/phosphates stay under control it's no problem at all. We were concerned it would be but it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Thanks! It's like 3.5 years old right now. I had a major crash due to not paying attention to my phosphates. It's been doing very well since then. The sump is made out of 1/2" glass, not sure what you mean. Maybe some of the smaller tanks are like that? The overall tank/stand/sump has been great honestly despite having major concerns about the stand.

Great to hear

I must be thinking about older or smaller models, but I remember it being a big complaint with some people when I last looked at them a while ago

Maybe the complaint was simply that the sump was glass, period. A lot of people understandably prefer acrylic, but also a lot of people prefer DIY’ing their sumps out of Petco tanks that definitely have thin glass so—