Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Deadite posted:

I think the character design is fine, it's the animation itself that is offputting to me. Like the frame rate is lower than it should be or something. I think in animation it's called inbetweening that makes motion look more fluid and this show seems like it's missing that.

Ok, ok, I think I know what you mean. My brain probably ignored that because I was more excited about seeing Invincible animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

new one or old one?

New one on Appletv+. I threw it on on a whim because I love Justin Theroux and was totally engrossed for the first two episodes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

AccountSupervisor posted:

New one on Appletv+. I threw it on on a whim because I love Justin Theroux and was totally engrossed for the first two episodes.

:same:

I said in another thread that so far it's like The Fugitive plus MacGyver. The 2nd episode was pretty tense

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Deadite posted:

I think the character design is fine, it's the animation itself that is offputting to me. Like the frame rate is lower than it should be or something. I think in animation it's called inbetweening that makes motion look more fluid and this show seems like it's missing that.

I think it's pretty clearly trying to be an adult version of kids' superhero cartoons like Batman or X-Men or whatever, which are animated pretty similarly right?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm confused. Are you all talking about the character designs? Because that's straight out of the comic book.

The animation? I've seen worse animation, although if you look for the comic book panels you'll find a lot of "I didn't have a lot of time to draw" ones. Hope they "animate" that famous joke panels.

These guys talk about it some.

https://youtu.be/kvfuVXmZZQ4?t=58

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rewatched Your Highness on Netflix for the first time since it was in theaters. I have been rewatching a bunch of those 2010s comedies from that circle lately. I feel like it should have been way better than it was. Like, a sword and sorcery film with that pedigree should be great, but it's mostly a handful of decent gags and a lot of duds. Justin Theroux is hands down the funniest person in the film which is weird considering it's starring Danny McBride. James Franco is embarrassingly bad in it.

It has enough good jokes and some fun enough practical effects to make it an entertaining watch but it felt like they really slept through making that one.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Deadite posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Usually, a lot of 2D animation is drawn "on twos", which means you have a fully drawn frame of your character every other frame. So if the show is running at 24 fps, you have 12 frames of your character. Most of the time that's enough to look decent unless you've got very quick or complex motions, in which case you'd have to fill up the remaining frames, which is known as inbetweening. What Invincible seems to be doing is animating on threes and even fours when they think they can get away with it, like in slow dialog sequences. Sometimes they're using other tricks like taking a still frame of a character and wiggling it around or zooming it in or out. All of those things are basically hallmarks of having to work around a limited budget.

As for the show itself, I unfortunately bounced off of it pretty hard after one and a half episodes. I can see what it's going for, but it didn't land for me. In particular, having the whole brutality frontloaded in the first episode. I get why they did it pretty early to set the tone for the rest of the show, but at that point all the characters getting murdered were hardly even characters to the viewer. Going extra hard in the gore department just came off as a transparently artificial attempt to give the scene more impact that completely fell flat for me. Not to mention that it (together with the casually murderous alien invasion later on) really smacked of '90s style "this is a MATURE comic for ADULTS, it's got BLOOD and GUTS" edginess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Invincible's ending was def a highlight. But I found myself chuckling at the the absurd violence and straight up guffawing at the main character paper shredding a train full of civilians. It crossed the line from horrifying to unintentional satire somewhere in there.

So in the end the show is good at the family dynamics and metaplot and absolutely blows with its subplots. I guess I'm here until the 3rd season when the latter overwhelms the former.

Edit: I just ask they give the black woman a better subplot than being horrible to the main guy, and cool it with the pop songs, please im begging

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Glottis posted:

The Mitchells vs The Machines was really funny and the animation is fantastic at times. It's a stupid kids movie but I enjoyed it a lot. The Furby scene had me laughing out loud

We impulse watched this last night because I saw Danny McBride, and I had no idea it was by the same person behind Gravity Falls. Easily one of the tightest written movies I've seen in a long long time. It reminded me of Airplane, where the gags per minute was through the roof, and I had to pause the video whenever I left the room. If this is where movies are headed, we're in a good spot. I was also thrown off by Eric Andre playing a somewhat normal well adjusted person. I always forget that he's doing a character.

I really really really liked this movie, especially the somewhat random and absurd humor. What other shows/movies should I check out?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 5, 2021

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Perestroika posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Usually, a lot of 2D animation is drawn "on twos", which means you have a fully drawn frame of your character every other frame. So if the show is running at 24 fps, you have 12 frames of your character. Most of the time that's enough to look decent unless you've got very quick or complex motions, in which case you'd have to fill up the remaining frames, which is known as inbetweening. What Invincible seems to be doing is animating on threes and even fours when they think they can get away with it, like in slow dialog sequences. Sometimes they're using other tricks like taking a still frame of a character and wiggling it around or zooming it in or out. All of those things are basically hallmarks of having to work around a limited budget.

Yeah that has to be it, the dialog scenes strike me as so unnatural. Every time there are two people talking to each other there is barely any movement, and when it does happen it's very fast. Like in this scene below, the guy on the left doesn't move until the very end. He stays static until he needs to quickly change position to a new static pose. Same with the guy on the right and his coffee cup. There's no change in facial expressions or pose adjustments really, and at one point the only thing moving on the screen is the guy on the left's mouth. I don't know why I find this style so strange but something about the lack of movement is offputting.

And this is how every dialog scene is in the show. I remember a scene in the second episode where Mark's friend is talking to him at lunch and gestures towards mark with a meatball on the end of a fork, and just holds that meatball perfectly still while they continue to talk.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hey but you not what, at least Invincible wasnt "animated" like The Way of the House Husband.

For the curious goon that hates anime that show is literally a power point presentation. I couldnt watch beyond the first episode.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That scene is also notable for being the first one of the show and its like five minutes of this guy talking about his son that is only tangentially referenced at most a couple times in the first season.

It was such a bizaare choice it's almost admirable.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Edit: I just ask they give the black woman a better subplot than being horrible to the main guy, and cool it with the pop songs, please im begging

It's pretty weird you think Amber is being "horrible" to Mark. She's been pretty reasonable.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Anyone see the new Mike Schur show Rutherford Falls on Peacock yet? I've heard good things, but have been holding off on watching just yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shageletic posted:

That scene is also notable for being the first one of the show and its like five minutes of this guy talking about his son that is only tangentially referenced at most a couple times in the first season.

It was such a bizaare choice it's almost admirable.

A couple of shows have had a hard on for the whole plot unrelated to the show running in the background gag. Like American Dad with the golden turd or Squirrels, Solar Opposites with The Wall.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mare of Easttown on HBO max. Kate Winslet is a detective trying to solve a murder. Combined with tons of family drama that borders on somewhat ludicrous. Two episodes so far. Eh, fills a cop show/murder itch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I like it, definitely worth a watch so far.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Mare of Easttown on HBO max. Kate Winslet is a detective trying to solve a murder. Combined with tons of family drama that borders on somewhat ludicrous. Two episodes so far. Eh, fills a cop show/murder itch.

I'm liking it a lot so far. Kate Winslet studied the accent hard, and she said it's the biggest pain in the rear end of an accent she's ever done.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Deadite posted:

Yeah that has to be it, the dialog scenes strike me as so unnatural. Every time there are two people talking to each other there is barely any movement, and when it does happen it's very fast. Like in this scene below, the guy on the left doesn't move until the very end. He stays static until he needs to quickly change position to a new static pose. Same with the guy on the right and his coffee cup. There's no change in facial expressions or pose adjustments really, and at one point the only thing moving on the screen is the guy on the left's mouth. I don't know why I find this style so strange but something about the lack of movement is offputting.

And this is how every dialog scene is in the show. I remember a scene in the second episode where Mark's friend is talking to him at lunch and gestures towards mark with a meatball on the end of a fork, and just holds that meatball perfectly still while they continue to talk.

Yeah that’s pretty bad. Not quite as bad as the “motion comic” thing. There was an animated (“animated”) Creepshow special on Shudder that I couldn’t watch because it basically a Flash animation - like a digital paper puppet. I would have preferred completely static panels with a voiceover.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Ok....I am watching Sicario: Day of the Soldado. There is an entire lengthy scene of Benicio Del Toro's character with the coyotes....and they are speaking entirely in spanish. Should there be subtitles going on for this? There isn't and I feel like I am missing something. It's been going on for several minutes now.....

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Rewatched Your Highness on Netflix for the first time since it was in theaters. I have been rewatching a bunch of those 2010s comedies from that circle lately. I feel like it should have been way better than it was. Like, a sword and sorcery film with that pedigree should be great, but it's mostly a handful of decent gags and a lot of duds. Justin Theroux is hands down the funniest person in the film which is weird considering it's starring Danny McBride. James Franco is embarrassingly bad in it.

It has enough good jokes and some fun enough practical effects to make it an entertaining watch but it felt like they really slept through making that one.

Ha, I'd never seen it and just watched it yesterday, felt the same way. Inexplicably, Justin Theroux is far and away the funniest character but even he's made to be unfunnily grimdark for the last act. McBride was funny with some of the dialogue & I did have a big laugh at his 'trophy'

Rewatched Idle Hands later on pluto tv and it holds up really well aside from an extremely unfortunate, mildly homophobic joke immediately before the credits lol. Overall I loved just as much as I did back when it came out, super solid horror-comedy and Sawa sells the physical stuff really well

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Ok....I am watching Sicario: Day of the Soldado. There is an entire lengthy scene of Benicio Del Toro's character with the coyotes....and they are speaking entirely in spanish. Should there be subtitles going on for this? There isn't and I feel like I am missing something. It's been going on for several minutes now.....

I think with that movie they were trying to go with the perspective of characters and the audience being observers to stuff that they don't understand. I think that kind of worked with the major humvee fight where the camera is showing what the little kid would see but it doesn't work or is really inconsistent for the rest of the movie. Regardless if what I am trying to say makes sense, I loved Sicario and was super bummed that day of the soldat didn't live up to it.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 6, 2021

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Nihonniboku posted:

Anyone see the new Mike Schur show Rutherford Falls on Peacock yet? I've heard good things, but have been holding off on watching just yet.

My mom showed me an episode or two and I thought it was funny. Honestly a really refreshing comedy to watch for anyone in the BIPOC community/interested in an earnest depiction of it, a lot of it felt very relatable

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Not sure what service Sicario is on, but I noticed on a few shows (netflix and prime) lately that unless I had english subtitles on the portions of the show that were in another language didn't have a translation.

Of course, B-Rock452 might be right in that it was intentional. It has been a while since I saw that movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I really liked sicario 1 and skipped on 2 even though it sort of features my hometown lmao. Maybe some day. What service is it on?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I keep watching Tyler Sheridan's stuff because Hell or High Water & Wind River were so good, but he's got as many duds as hits. Sicario 2 is terrible and Yellowstone is just a dour slog.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yellowstone had an amazing premise but yeah, "dour slog" is pretty much the perfect way to describe it. So much going on with so little actually happening, like an inverted Better Call Saul. Which sucks because the casting was really good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I like Yellowstone, but it is nowhere close to the prestige drama it wishes it was. It is more of a guilty pleasure.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey but you not what, at least Invincible wasnt "animated" like The Way of the House Husband.

For the curious goon that hates anime that show is literally a power point presentation. I couldnt watch beyond the first episode.

I tried watching it too because I'm about to go on paternity leave and thought it was a neat concept, also gave up after one episode. After that I watched Akira on Hulu, which is a million years old and still awesome.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Finishing up "Dark", which has been a trip. The first two seasons are amazing and absurdly complicated. The third season feels as if it's just pushed things a little too far, good too many plates spinning.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I couldn't finish season 3. Absolutely amazing show the first 2 seasons though!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Agreed there. The whole thing is difficult, opaque, largely humorless - but amazing. Season three wasn't terrible but just hit a limit with me. And for the first time, I stopped believing there was a logic behind it all - stuff was just happening.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 6, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

nonathlon posted:

Agreed there. The whole thing is difficult, opaque, largely humorless - but amazing. Season three wasn't terrible but just hit a limit with me. And for the first time, I stopped believing there was a logic behind it all - stuff was just happening.

So it's german?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I really liked sicario 1 and skipped on 2 even though it sort of features my hometown lmao. Maybe some day. What service is it on?

I want to say I saw it on Amazon prime maybe?

But yeah don't go into it expecting much, the first one is so crazy good there's no way they could have topped it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

I tried watching it too because I'm about to go on paternity leave and thought it was a neat concept, also gave up after one episode. After that I watched Akira on Hulu, which is a million years old and still awesome.

It seems the manga is pretty good, I am just dissappointed that there was zero effort put on a comedy animation with a neat fun concept.

At least there's Castlevania and Beastars coming up this year.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Field Mousepad posted:

I want to say I saw it on Amazon prime maybe?

But yeah don't go into it expecting much, the first one is so crazy good there's no way they could have topped it.

Sicario 2 is loving awful.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I watched Raised by Wolves without knowing anything about it, and yea it immediately goes off the rails. Was a little slow getting going for the first ~25 mins but as someone else mentioned the world building is really great. Watched it on and off for a month and kind of loved it, comparisons to LOST are apt b/c it's a secluded island planet with some mysteries but I was already so emotionally invested in these loving robots trying to raise these kids it didn't matter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hoop Dreams posted:

It's pretty weird you think Amber is being "horrible" to Mark. She's been pretty reasonable.

I'm just asking for a plot that has her as a person with her own thoughts and goals rather than the foil in a played out superhero disguise trope that also confusedly didn't matter at all?

her role in the show was to make Mark sad, and that's super lame.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shageletic posted:

I'm just asking for a plot that has her as a person with her own thoughts and goals rather than the foil in a played out superhero disguise trope that also confusedly didn't matter at all?

her role in the show was to make Mark sad, and that's super lame.

I don't think this really qualifies as a spoiler, but I'm spoiling just in case. She was barely a character in the comic, so they tried to flesh her out more, but there is not much they can do, without wasting a bunch of time on dumb subplots that don't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah I can't say that I've been disappointed in D A R K, but as I begin watching season 3, the way I feel about the series has changed from being tense and intrigued at the very start, to "ok, this is the younger/older version of _____, who is the parent/child of _____," to "it's not a matter of if there's going to be accidental incest, but when, to "Yeah, she's her own grandmother, and that machine had no origin, and that's the way she goes," to, "I hope this resolves in some goddamn way," to straight up laughing that the guy who is missing an eye in Regular German World is instead missing an arm in Opposite German World, and at no point expecting an explanation for it.

It's not quite what I craved, but it's good enough to keep going. Show ain't a waste of time.