Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How do folks feel about the Synology DS420+? My TrueNAS hardware is going kaput, and I think I want to move to a less DIY approach. Currently I have 2x8TB WD Reds, so also looking for HDD recommendations as well. I mainly use it for file storage, and the occasional streaming movie to a Kodi install on my FireStick 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Drives: just shuck Easystores. There's no reason not to these days.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

How bad is the process of RMAing a drive if you shuck it versus retail box?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Keep the combination of both external drive enclosure serial number and internal drive serial number. If you need to RMA, recombine them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EC posted:

I have a dumb question about Synology boxes I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm looking at buying the 8 bay unit, but can't find any 12tb drives that aren't pricey as heck. If I start with 3x 10tb drives now, and add 12tb drives later, will I be able to use the extra 2tb of storage in the pool? This page seems to imply it will, but I figured I'd check.

My plan is to start with 3 drives and add one or two a month until the server is full.

Yes. Also go to their shr/raid calculator. It will show you exactly how much space you get with each combination. It's neato.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

StorCLI doesn't really work for the RAID-less HBAs, it's basically a newer version of MegaCLI.

It's also worth noting that the newest version of StorCLI is for Phase 17, and they're at Phase 21.
There's a risk of sending unsupported firmware commands, whereas at least with FreeBSD having the Phase 21 driver, it works fine for the Phase 20 firmware - which is the last version to have a FreeBSD flash utility shipped, though I assume you can either use an EFI shell for sas2flash Phase 21 or the Phase 20 sas2flash FreeBSD binary to flash Phase 21 firmware if you really wanted.
I can't see anything in the firmware changelog that justifies this.

All the information that can be had from the controllers is accessible through mpsutil, mfiutil, mprutil, or mpsutil.

KKKLIP ART posted:

How bad is the process of RMAing a drive if you shuck it versus retail box?
If you keep the enclosure, rubber grummits and don't break any of the clips when opening, and if you're in the EU, you should have no trouble.
I'm not even sure about needing to keep the serial numbers straight, as I certainly didn't pay attention to that when I RMA'd one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've been doing the Seagate equivalent for a while now, they're cheaper for me at the present time (I've shucked many WDs too), and they have honest to goodness Exos drives inside, no special label or anything (16TB)

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

KKKLIP ART posted:

How do folks feel about the Synology DS420+? My TrueNAS hardware is going kaput, and I think I want to move to a less DIY approach. Currently I have 2x8TB WD Reds, so also looking for HDD recommendations as well. I mainly use it for file storage, and the occasional streaming movie to a Kodi install on my FireStick 4k.
I've had Synology "+" NASes for years. Currently have the 218+, which has been great. If all you're doing is file storage and Kodi streaming, you'll be fine with it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The drive controller board is also matched to the serial number of the bare drive at least on an Easystore. I mismatched the controller and drive before in my RMA and it was denied it seems even though the case serials matched. The better bet is to RMA only the bare drive or hold onto most of the parts and keep them together except the outer clamshell.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My works having an IT auction and I'm looking at grabbing a 12 bay QNAP TS-1270U-RP for backup and storing media etc.

This isn't a terrible idea right? Want to use it for backup, large file storage for stl files etc, and a media server for Plex etc.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2021

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

My works having an IT auction and I'm looking at grabbing a 12 bay QNAP TS-1270U-RP for backup and storing media etc.

This isn't a terrible idea right? Want to use it for backup, large file storage for stl files etc, and a media server for Plex etc.

QNAP has comparable quality to Synology and from the looks of it, that server is the perfect size to mount onto an Ikea Lack if you use a Lack enclosure.

Edit: To go into slightly more detail, QNAP has better hardware, Synology has better software (mainly due to the packages). From memory, QNAP doesn't have anything like Synology Hybrid Raid either, so your storage pool is limited to the size of the smallest drive.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 5, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
you can always install the synology software on your QNAP. It's open source, but like Intel and putting skulls on all their gaming-oriented NUCs/SSDs/etc so that no one will take it seriously in the workplace and they can overcharge for the boring corporate version, Synology gave their OS a terrible name so that nobody dares speak it in public

"so tell me, jensen, what is this "peenology" stuff you want us to install? I'm not saying you're fired, but..."

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 6, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Grabbed it when I got the price. Full of 12 4TB drives for $400 Canadian!

Just need to investigate software for this thing now. Pretty hardcore. I'd appreciate any advice

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 5, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Grabbed it when I got the price. Full of 12 4TB drives for $400 Canadian!

Just need to investigate software for this thing now. Pretty hardcore. I'd appreciate any advice

Those drives are worth more than $400 CAD, so that’s a drat good deal.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That will pay for itself in Chia

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Should I just be rocking whatever stock software comes on the thing, or is there some new hotness I should be angling towards? Software dev so I'm happy to gently caress around but I haven't touched this level of network storage and it's kind of a blindspot

E: :devil: 666 page of the beast

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just update the OS and have fun. Synology and QNAP are both pretty much full on servers these days. There's a lot of poo poo you can run in containers.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

xtal posted:

That will pay for itself in Chia

Not if you kill a nice SSD in the process, especially at the rate netspace is growing..

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not to mention the endless swirlies you're going to get for being a crypto geek.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WD support is such a pain in the rear end. I've been trying to RMA a pair of hard drives for like two weeks.

I did a chat last week, they are supposed to send me RMA information so I can send these drives back. The person on the chat said the 3TB drives aren't available and asked if the 4TB drive was fine, I said that was okay.

They emailed me asking me the same loving thing today:

quote:

Dear Bob,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Technical Support. My name is Henry N.

I appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience caused to you. I understand that you would like to create an RMA for your 3TB WD Se (S/N: WMC130E5XXXX; WMC130F0XXXX).

This is to inform you that the WD Se (P/N: WD3000F9YZ-09N20L1) is an end-of-life (EOL) drive. Therefore, it will be upgraded to 4TB WD Gold (P/N: WD4003FRYZ) as WD Gold does not come in 3TB capacity.

Please find the data specification sheet for WD Gold below:

WD Gold Specification Sheet
http://products.wdc.com/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2579-810192.pdf

Please reply back to this e-mail as a confirmation so we can proceed further to create an RMA to replace your WD Se drives.

Even more of a pain in the rear end I ordered a drive on Amazon because I'm tired of waiting around, and it was DOA.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This is so fuckin weird. Gf gave me one of those amazon no name dealie dashcams for christmas. I never bothered to check any footage until last month when I seen a moose on the way to work. The thing was set up to auto overwrite once the card filled, but it had stopped recording about 2 weeks prior. Deleted everything off the card, reinserted it. Few days later, caught a crazy guy flying through a parking lot and almost caused an accident. Went to view the footage...the same videos I deleted before were there. Put it in the camera and use the format function this time.

Another moose this morning, two actually. Put in the card to view footage. Same videos are still magically there from late March. Cant format through windows, cant repair disk. Most of the videos remain playable except the last one, which I guess is where the issue is. I can delete it fine and it will just come back. Windows even reports the card is empty when I delete it all, but its not really deleted. Write protect thing isn't slid over on the card adapter. I guess the card is just hosed?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

This is so fuckin weird. Gf gave me one of those amazon no name dealie dashcams for christmas. I never bothered to check any footage until last month when I seen a moose on the way to work. The thing was set up to auto overwrite once the card filled, but it had stopped recording about 2 weeks prior. Deleted everything off the card, reinserted it. Few days later, caught a crazy guy flying through a parking lot and almost caused an accident. Went to view the footage...the same videos I deleted before were there. Put it in the camera and use the format function this time.

Another moose this morning, two actually. Put in the card to view footage. Same videos are still magically there from late March. Cant format through windows, cant repair disk. Most of the videos remain playable except the last one, which I guess is where the issue is. I can delete it fine and it will just come back. Windows even reports the card is empty when I delete it all, but its not really deleted. Write protect thing isn't slid over on the card adapter. I guess the card is just hosed?

SD Cards are pretty lovely. Card's probably hosed. Is it a High-Endurance card? I had much better luck once I switched to those.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its a Sony SDHC. I've had lots of grief with my DSLR as well. Take a bunch of photos and get home and it be corrupted, luckily I've usually been able to recover most of it. I dont trust Lexar anymore.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's a counterfeit SD card, they are everywhere.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure I bought both in store, walmart or best buy or whatever, I dunno if thats prevalent in places like that but yeah I'm super weary of buying online

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

I'm pretty sure I bought both in store, walmart or best buy or whatever, I dunno if thats prevalent in places like that but yeah I'm super weary of buying online

Wary. But also weary.

Buy a SanDisk or Samsung high endurance card for the dashcam, 128gb is a good size. I burned out several regular cards in my dashcams before high endurance card were common. Throw that one into the microwave and then out. Test the new cards with h2testw.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Breaks my fuckin heart because the dashcam records these obtuse 700mb files for only 5 minute clips. loving .movs. For the quality they oughta be inside 100mb for sure.

Holy gently caress I cant believe how cheap those high endurance cards are

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 6, 2021

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. Also go to their shr/raid calculator. It will show you exactly how much space you get with each combination. It's neato.

Thanks!

I ended up shucking 4x 14tb drives this morning and getting everything installed. I'm setting up the server now and it asked me to choose between btrfs or ext4, so now I'm going down a rabbit hole. Is there a clear choice?

For reference: this thing will be running SAB/Sonarr/Plex and serving up files to no more than three or four devices at the same, and 90% of the time it will probably be only two. One ShieldTV that plays everything natively via Kodi (including 4k), and one AppleTV that will use Plex (not including 4k stuff).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This poor Synology. I get a replacement drive in it and drive 11 gave a read-error right at the start of the array rebuild. Bleh. 4/10 WD 3.0 TB Enterprise drives with failures in the last 2/3 months.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

This poor Synology. I get a replacement drive in it and drive 11 gave a read-error right at the start of the array rebuild. Bleh. 4/10 WD 3.0 TB Enterprise drives with failures in the last 2/3 months.
Ah, so you're the one who's been getting all their bad drives.
Thank you for jumping on that grenade.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Ah, so you're the one who's been getting all their bad drives.
Thank you for jumping on that grenade.

One of the IT contractors that we used at my old office called me about two failed enterprise 4TB drives about 2-3 weeks ago. He wanted to check the warranty details (still well within the 5 years).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Devian666 posted:

One of the IT contractors that we used at my old office called me about two failed enterprise 4TB drives about 2-3 weeks ago. He wanted to check the warranty details (still well within the 5 years).
:confuoot:

In other news, FreeBSDs mpsutil, that's used for a lot of the initiator target mode HBAs from LSIAvago/Broadcom, can now show PCI-Ex width and speed, IOC speed, and the temperature of the controller.
That last bit is somewhat relevant to me, because it's what I was failing to get out of StorCLI.

I don't think the SATA NCQ bit has any bearing, as I believe this just controls whether NCQ is enabled by default when the system has been powered down, so it doesn't need to be explicitly toggled (which FreeBSD will do automatically, from what I remember).

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I'm looking into getting a Synology DS220+ for media storage/serving. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like running any sort of RAID would do much for me other than waste space, since I'm not doing anything time sensitive with it and could just restore from backup when needed; am I correct in this assumption?

Also, if I'm not running RAID would I be able to add a second HDD at any point down the line or would I need to start with both drive slots full?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It'll run fine with just one disk, and you can add a second disk later, for either increased storage space or RAID.

RAID levels 1 and above are for preventing downtime due to disk failures. If your backups are kept recent and you don't mind the time needed to restore, you'll be fine with JBOD or RAID 0.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

I thought all 3tb drives were ticking time bombs?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

HalloKitty posted:

Not if you kill a nice SSD in the process, especially at the rate netspace is growing..

I thought Chia was write-once-read-many which should be OK on an SSD, but I'm not a shitcoin expert

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Munkeymon posted:

I thought Chia was write-once-read-many which should be OK on an SSD, but I'm not a shitcoin expert

Chia is two-stage: the "mining" (generating your bingo boards) is basically generating terabytes of garbage, writing, deleting, rewriting continuously 24/7. You then copy the completed board to mechanical storage for the next step. The farming (checking your bingo boards) is read every few seconds

I tried doing the former for a bit and on a Toshiba KXG60ZNV1T02 NVME drive, I've used ~30% of it's lifetime bytes in about a week. It will be almost certainly be dead and out of RMA-able state by the end of the month.

Incidentally, I would avoid buying used drives on ebay for ... the next while. Probably same with open box in store. There's a shitload of return fraud happening.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 7, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Moey posted:

I thought all 3tb drives were ticking time bombs?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Biowarfare posted:

Chia is two-stage: the "mining" (generating your bingo boards) is basically generating terabytes of garbage, writing, deleting, rewriting continuously 24/7. You then copy the completed board to mechanical storage for the next step. The farming (checking your bingo boards) is read every few seconds

I tried doing the former for a bit and on a Toshiba KXG60ZNV1T02 NVME drive, I've used ~30% of it's lifetime bytes in about a week. It will be almost certainly be dead and out of RMA-able state by the end of the month.

Incidentally, I would avoid buying used drives on ebay for ... the next while. Probably same with open box in store. There's a shitload of return fraud happening.

It constantly updates the plots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Once the plots are generated it's read many.

To generate the plots requires it to make like an order of magnitude more trash in temp files back and forth. I think 100GB final output requires multiple terabytes written