Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/psicochurroz/status/1389479683381727233

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is very wholesome :3:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

This single image will probably be better than the entirety of Space Jam 2

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/390saku39/status/1390125733947740168

these are suikoden characters

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know why live-action shows on CR can only be accessed through the website and not the apps? It didn't used to be the case.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Watching g gundam again with my partner who hasn’t seen it

God this shows so loving stupid and good

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 6, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, the progress report on mangadex revamp has given me a beautiful dream that the weekend after it relaunches i'm going to just binge a couple of months worth of manga across two days

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Got my second jab, in a couple weeks, I can grab the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2019 by the neck and kick its rear end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, the progress report on mangadex revamp has given me a beautiful dream that the weekend after it relaunches i'm going to just binge a couple of months worth of manga across two days
Hope this is more Astral and less Radium...

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I’m imagining intense traffic jams and being hacked again within a week

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have finished aching from my second Pfizer shot from Monday. I shall be free soon.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

I have finished aching from my second Pfizer shot from Monday. I shall be free soon.

You still gotta wear a mask tho

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tabletops posted:

Watching g gundam again with my partner who hasn’t seen it

God this shows so loving stupid and good
It's the best kind of stupid and I'm glad you seem to be having a ball with it. :allears:

Waffleman_ posted:

Got my second jab, in a couple weeks, I can grab the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2019 by the neck and kick its rear end.
Punch it in the crotch. :byodood: IN THE CROTCH!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Coaaab posted:

I’m imagining intense traffic jams and being hacked again within a week

stop making GBS threads on my dream! i need this bit of hope

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've been continuing my anime adventure on thread recommendations. Just watched Redline which was rad, and now just a few episodes from finishing the Antarctica anime.

I have some random thoughts about Antarctica:

1) I love it, though I did think it was a little odd that near the beginning of the series - roughly around the part where they try to woo the men to get onto the boat - , they kind of sneakily tried to sexualize the girls (some... creative under-shots along with Hinata just randomly having bouncy titties for like 2 episodes). It was all pretty mild and they completely 100% backed off it almost immediately, I just found it weird.

Like if that's the show they really want to do, then ok I guess, but why head in that direction for such a short time? Do shows get created ad-hoc while it's airing, and maybe ratings dropped or something? idgi. And a huge part of the show is how it's about innocence and adventure so I don't really get a direction like that in general.

2) The credits of this show are ridiculously awesome. My favorite part is the very beginning where the girl is on her bed facing the ceiling, and then she quickly flips over and the camera flips too. (sorry kind of an awkward description I don't know how else to phrase it). It COMPLETELY and utterly conveys the entire point and vibe of the show in literally 2 seconds. That is some masterful poo poo.

3) The music is really good. The 2 best animes I've watched so far (this one and re:zero) the music stirs something in me and I find myself listening to it during the workday and having some kind of emotional connection to it. I can't recall that ever happening before with other shows, and it's weirding out my wife, but gently caress it. stayyyyyyy allliiiiivvvveeeee

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Taima posted:

Do shows get created ad-hoc while it's airing, and maybe ratings dropped or something?

No, shows are generally finished being written long before they air. There is the caveat that it's not unusual for the final few episodes of an anime to be only finished with production shortly before airing, though that's more a "production schedules are a disaster" thing, and doesn't affect the early episodes in any case. And there's generally not time to respond to week-by-week happenings. In cases where something does need to get swapped out at the last second (say, due to world events) it puts a lot of additional strain on the production schedule, so it's not something done lightly.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Taima posted:

1) I love it, though I did think it was a little odd that near the beginning of the series - roughly around the part where they try to woo the men to get onto the boat - , they kind of sneakily tried to sexualize the girls (some... creative under-shots along with Hinata just randomly having bouncy titties for like 2 episodes). It was all pretty mild and they completely 100% backed off it almost immediately, I just found it weird.

it's something you'll find in even the wholesomest of anime, sadly. japanese culture doesn't seem (from my very brief, very uncomfortable googling into the subject) to share the same values as the west in regards to sexualizing underage girls.
it sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone older than 20 is a babushka.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
didn't really have forum posts making my brain melt out of my skull through my eye sockets planned on my schedule today but i guess if you guys wanna get that done i can't stop you

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone older than 20 is a babushka.

don't want to go too offtopic and bring up downer topics (even though i do think that japanese culture is relevant and important discussion for people who are into - and sometimes too into - japanese things) but there's the christmas cake term. this author also describes herself as a makeinu (loser): https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2004/04/01/books/losers-winners-in-contemporary-japan/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

didn't really have forum posts making my brain melt out of my skull through my eye sockets planned on my schedule today but i guess if you guys wanna get that done i can't stop you

sorry

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lol doge

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's just the obsession with youth taken to a further degree than some other countries. The older I get the sillier it feels. I'm 28 this June, if I was an anime they'd give me bags under my eyes and the physical build of a man in his late fifties.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's a product of capitalist alienation I think. America is pretty pedo with it too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

don't want to go too offtopic and bring up downer topics (even though i do think that japanese culture is relevant and important discussion for people who are into - and sometimes too into - japanese things) but there's the christmas cake term
christmas cake as a term was never something you'd say in 'polite' company and today is considered extremely sexist to the point that it was a national controversy when a politician actually used it. you can argue that the cultural baggage that led to the term existing in the first place is there, but it isn't some common term that people use on a daily basis and it never was. japan has issues with sexism and sexualization of underage girls and thats a conversation worth having but 'a brief google search' isn't really something that enables you to start trying to 'inform' other people. all you're doing is spreading misinformation and generalizations.

Taima posted:

I've been continuing my anime adventure on thread recommendations. Just watched Redline which was rad, and now just a few episodes from finishing the Antarctica anime.

I have some random thoughts about Antarctica:

It isn't really a ratings thing, anime isn't really made like that. I imagine a few of those shots were because of the context of the scene, them trying to hit on the guys, and then some animator or episode director went too hard on it for a couple eps before being told to walk it back. The main director of the show's a woman and it isn't a consistent thing so it probably wasn't part of her vision, but anime's made in relatively short timeframes by a lot of independent contractors and silo'd off sections - so it's not nearly as uniform in style and direction as, say, western animation, or theater animation, or anything. this is a pretty mild example, there's shows where the entire visual style and language can change between episodes, even though it's trying to tell one continuous story.

two back-to-back episodes of the same show, for instance.

ostensibly there's staff members meant to make sure everything is consistent with the director's vision and stuff but stuff can slip through, and sometimes those staff members intentionally play fast and loose, leading to shows where the style can shift between shots and scenes, much less between episodes. antarctica is a relatively consistent production but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just something that slipped through. one person goes 'oh, its a show with a bunch of girls in it, this must be the angle' and it isnt caught in time for them to change it, since its a few relatively minor shots. i wouldn't really chalk it up to any kind of authorial intent.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 6, 2021

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm 28 this June, if I was an anime they'd give me bags under my eyes and the physical build of a man in his late fifties.

Misato Katsuragi is 29.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

esselfortium posted:

Misato Katsuragi is 29.
Misato being 29 makes perfect sense, her whole deal is that she's just as immature as Shinji is and only seems mature to him because hes a stupid teenager. heck, the whole drinking, wanting to get back with a bad boyfriend, being a bad influence on kids deal is like, the perfect encapsulation of 'realizing you're about to turn thirty.'

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can’t believe I’m older than Misato now

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean, yeah. It's not even an anime thing the perception of age and youth has absolutely changed in the last thirty years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Depends on what genre you’re in honestly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

Mecha pilots either die young or are middle aged by 35.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean, yeah. It's not even an anime thing the perception of age and youth has absolutely changed in the last thirty years.

Larryb posted:

You can mosh/slam-dance (audience) / go into the TDEP-side of the stage-show scale (performer) when you're +30, but it'll hurt like gently caress next day no matter how in shape you are and you need at least some proper shuteye or really good painkillers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

Misato being 29 makes perfect sense, her whole deal is that she's just as immature as Shinji is and only seems mature to him because hes a stupid teenager. heck, the whole drinking, wanting to get back with a bad boyfriend, being a bad influence on kids deal is like, the perfect encapsulation of 'realizing you're about to turn thirty.'
Yeah, definitely seen more than one person rewatch NGE and be like "Oh I guess I'm Misato now".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

25 years later and I'm still Shinji lol

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah, definitely seen more than one person rewatch NGE and be like "Oh I guess I'm Misato now".

oh no

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

25 years later and I'm still Shinji lol

Srice’s avatar but it’s chen in the mug

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mecha pilots either die young or are middle aged by 35.

there are lots of reasons mecha leads tend to be young that relate to mecha being aimed at a pretty young audience, but also the episode of zambot where they try to have zambot be piloted by adults and they get their asses kicked and the leads are like "see, we told you this wouldn't work. no adult can pilot zambot better than our kids because you haven't spent years using alien sleep learning techniques to train them into the ultimate child soldiers" is incredible funny

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wouldnt it be cool if i looked like misato haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some of the early mecha stuff like Gundam is also very much about how young people are exploited by adults for war purposes. And Japan was using 15-year-olds by the end of WW2 so it's not like Amuro Ray is too out there.