Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

stolen, unabashedly

perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wth is curry powder anyway

it’s an odd concept, colonial times someone tried to condense every south asian flavour into one powder

or
something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

wth is curry powder anyway

it’s an odd concept, colonial times someone tried to condense every south asian flavour into one powder

or
something

might surprise you to learn that cabbage-eating colonialists in fact did not in fact invent the spice mix.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That particular mix of spices though seems thoroughly international now though. Wikipedia says that Garam Masala is the closest Indian one to "Curry Powder"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

induction is the real mvp

eh there's good induction and then there's not good.

it's uncool when a cheap one sits there humming...click.. stop humming... click. humming.... click. stop humming... click. humming..

etc, because of it's thermostat and noisy design and on low temp it boils... it stops boiling.. it boils... it stops boiling...

unable to simmer just alternative between boiling and not boiling. suppose a thicker pan would help this but in the end cheap induction isn't "nice" to cook with

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

That particular mix of spices though seems thoroughly international now though. Wikipedia says that Garam Masala is the closest Indian one to "Curry Powder"

yeah, strictly speaking echi is not wrong that naming it just "curry powder" is pretty dumb, especially as it varies widely. the central bits of those i've ever gotten are very much garam masala though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats kinda what I meant, the implication from the product on the shelf is that this represents the entire continent

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I always thought that curry powder was powered curry leaves. Til

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

thats kinda what I meant, the implication from the product on the shelf is that this represents the entire continent

yeah, but otoh "garam masala" literally means "hot spice mix" in hindi (and as such afaik we are already misusing it here as it is not a very particular thing even in india, rather a collective term for that kind of blend), so it is kind of in keeping with things to be kind of nondescriptive with the names.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

idk, i feel like every curry powder i’ve seen has been a lot different than garam masala. like i feel that garam masala is closer to pumpkin pie spice than it is to curry powder.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

stolen, unabashedly

this was my spin on it
https://twitter.com/kennethlogins/status/1252291426550976516?s=21

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

curry powder > paprika for deviled eggs.

and i love paprika

this is a correct opinion.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i’m
hungry for more memes in this young / old format

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

your probe doesn't really look any different from the multitude available on amazon, with one exception - there appears to be a collar over the holder nut, or where a nut is on other probes. there are already tons of stainless steel probes available. here's one example (there are cheaper and more expensive versions, i picked this at random):

https://amzn.to/3tmucqU

of note for this probe in specific:

but honestly something like that would be fine, and if you were really concerned with the nut assembly beyond replacing it you could cover that section in a bit of shrink wrap.

thanks for the response but I’m talking about the one on the right. the one on the left sucks and needs different ramps and offsets.

so far I’ve seen nothing like the one on the right which is sold inside the tube

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hed posted:

thanks for the response but I’m talking about the one on the right. the one on the left sucks and needs different ramps and offsets.

so far I’ve seen nothing like the one on the right which is sold inside the tube

i see i thought it was all one cable sorry.

honestly they’re so cheap tho. assuming this is just for the water bath why not just buy a metal one and be done? unless i’m still misunderstanding the situation somehow (entirely possible/probable)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

I finally looked up what curry powder is and it looks like it's just a combination of spices that are normally used in north indian cooking. Most dishes use some combination of tumeric, cumin, coriander, and chilli powder. It looks like some variations also use ginger and garlic powder. I think in most north indian cooking you'd use both fresh either minced or as paste. There are a couple other local spices like dried mango powder that are sometimes added.

It's an all purpose seasoning so you'd use it like that, I use an indian version of that sometimes.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Can somebody explain how currywurst works next because I love that poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

Can somebody explain how currywurst works next because I love that poo poo

sausage with a curry powder worcestershire ketchup

(to be clear i looked this up because i thought it was just curried ketchup. i didn’t know it had worcestershire sauce in it)

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 7, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you put the curry in the wurst OP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Enormous fireflies energy from the people itt scratching their head about fuckin' curry powder, jesus christ.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
went to the korean market today. got a bunch of garbage. idk what ingredients to get to make delicious korean food

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

eh there's good induction and then there's not good.

it's uncool when a cheap one sits there humming...click.. stop humming... click. humming.... click. stop humming... click. humming..

etc, because of it's thermostat and noisy design and on low temp it boils... it stops boiling.. it boils... it stops boiling...

unable to simmer just alternative between boiling and not boiling. suppose a thicker pan would help this but in the end cheap induction isn't "nice" to cook with

i have a cheap ikea induction and it doesn't do this. not sure you can get much cheaper than that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

went to the korean market today. got a bunch of garbage. idk what ingredients to get to make delicious korean food

imo the big essentials are kimchi and gochujang, some soy

lots of stuff stems from there but i’m no expert in it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

I got some kbbq sauce a while back and have been having kbbq jackfruit sandwiches for lunch for about 2 weeks now.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my partner got a bunch of stuff to make delicious meals

I got durian soda

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
unban spice kimchi

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I also got some kind of korean flavor instant noodle bowl. will report on it later

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ima go out and eat wontons and there's not a single goddamn thing you pussies can do to stop me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you wonton whore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

i have a cheap ikea induction and it doesn't do this. not sure you can get much cheaper than that?

idk my mum’s does it but the one I had years ago didn’t

maybe it’s not a function of cost idk. I just remember thinking after watching my mum use hers to make sure I don’t cheap out if i ever go that route

Jonny 290 posted:

Enormous fireflies energy from the people itt scratching their head about fuckin' curry powder, jesus christ.

when other cultures flavours get condensed and handed around the world it cracks me up

like here in nz you can buy products that claim to taste like louisiana bbq or new york pizza and I just wonder about how i’m sure those aren’t just homogenous generic flavours

or like moroccan flavouring etc. just all of morocco food tastes like this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah i'm gonna eat wontons, what the gently caress you gonna do about it? eh? eh? yeah, nothin, that's what i fuckin though, get the gently caress outta here

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

uh mods? you seeing this behavior??????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

yeah i'm gonna eat wontons, what the gently caress you gonna do about it? eh? eh? yeah, nothin, that's what i fuckin though, get the gently caress outta here

delete this loving post

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

just ate ham and eggs for lunch. the eggs came out of our chickens' cloaca:

https://i.imgur.com/hRlqX1j.mp4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

kimchi
gochujang
gochugaru
some sort of rice wine (i use shaoxing)
garlic
ginger
scallions

Maangchi is the jesus of easy korean food and can do it better i'm sure https://www.maangchi.com/tag/korean-pantry-essentials

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If none of you have tried a korean omlette before you should, they're fantastic.

If you're looking for a plant based version, this lady's recipe for mung bean korean omlettes comes out really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngF4MNe9RXc

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mediaphage posted:

imo the big essentials are kimchi and gochujang, some soy

lots of stuff stems from there but i’m no expert in it.

i think koreans also use anchovy broth for some stews, so you can add dried anchovies and kelp. i think it's the korean counterpart to dashi.

and of course some gochugaru (chili flakes) will be very useful. probably add sesame seeds as well, i think those are a common garnish.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh you'll also need baked beans, slices of kraft cheese and some cocktail smokies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://mykoreankitchen.com/army-stew-budae-jjigae/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kiss my rear end