Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that dan has somehow avoided ever being punched proves he is the luckiest boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm amazed no one tossed Dan out of the room during the Game of the Year debates awhile ago, he was peak obnoxiousness over RDR2. I didn't have a lot of exposure to him before that and it was pretty annoying.

I'm trying Waypoint for the first time and they've been talking about football for like 20+ minutes with no mention of videogames. I like football but man, this is a gaming podcast right? Reminds me of the GB wrestling digressions.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They like to go off on tangents. I don’t even like football but I’ll listen to it cause I enjoy when they talk about stuff I don’t really care about cause they genuinely get something out of a thing they enjoy. Austin will talk for hours and that’s just something you’re either down for or not. He’s very insightful and I appreciate what that crew brings to games discussions.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm amazed no one tossed Dan out of the room during the Game of the Year debates awhile ago, he was peak obnoxiousness over RDR2. I didn't have a lot of exposure to him before that and it was pretty annoying.

I'm trying Waypoint for the first time and they've been talking about football for like 20+ minutes with no mention of videogames. I like football but man, this is a gaming podcast right? Reminds me of the GB wrestling digressions.
I'm currently on Dan's new podcast, and they do address that. He concedes much of his problem with RDR2 might have been being forced to marathon it on a deadline, and he thinks he may have liked it a lot more had he been playing it like a normal person hah.

As mentioned, yeah Waypoint does go on tangents, but the long football thing isn't really normal. Overall I think Waypoint is extremely strong for inclusion and ... for lack of a better word ... wokeness.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The football digression this week was particularly bad (as a non football-carer); normally it doesn't go on that long. They siloed off even more after the end, even. There was also some baseball stuff this ep but it was at least in discussion of the MLB game.

Their long talk in the questions part about the games writing industry chewing up and spitting people out hit extremely differently when I listened right after the GB news. :smith:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, I think this was a particularly bad-timing to check out Waypoint ... they've been amazing for years, and I do miss voices that have moved on during their run. I think Austin otherwise runs a tight ship, and represents a queer black voice. It's "unfortunate" that Patrick Klepek and Rob Zachny are the other mainstays, but they are awesome people too. The podcast has had a number of fantastic regulars over the years. Gita Jackson is still around but doesn't seem to be on regularly lately (I also really her writing fwiw). I liked Danielle Riendeau a lot on the podcast, but haven't followed up on what she's up to now.

While trying to find any information about the GB departures, I stumbled across controversy that they were sort of implicated in gamer gate poo poo due to being attacked for being all white cis men by someone. Which is what it is, but unfortunately it sounds like fans went nuts on the accuser.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Blah, watched much of Alex's drumming stream to the end, and I am sad.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, I think this was a particularly bad-timing to check out Waypoint ... they've been amazing for years, and I do miss voices that have moved on during their run. I think Austin otherwise runs a tight ship, and represents a queer black voice. It's "unfortunate" that Patrick Klepek and Rob Zachny are the other mainstays, but they are awesome people too. The podcast has had a number of fantastic regulars over the years. Gita Jackson is still around but doesn't seem to be on regularly lately (I also really her writing fwiw). I liked Danielle Riendeau a lot on the podcast, but haven't followed up on what she's up to now.

While trying to find any information about the GB departures, I stumbled across controversy that they were sort of implicated in gamer gate poo poo due to being attacked for being all white cis men by someone. Which is what it is, but unfortunately it sounds like fans went nuts on the accuser.

danielle is EIC at fanbyte now, and also does a wrestling/mma podcast for its fightsports division

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Holy poo poo Giant Beastcast :(

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I was a mega Idle Thumbs/VGHD fan and I know I'm quite late to really getting into it, but IMO the closest podcast to those in tone right now is Insert Credit. The lineup consists of game archivist Frank Cifaldi, game dev/sega liker Brandon Sheffield, 3-hour-Doom-review guy Tim Rogers, and game dev/affable host Alex Jaffe. I appreciate how full of weird trivia they all are and they have great chemistry.

Recent episodes have featured guests like Jim Stormdancer of Frog Fractions (who has a podcast called Topic Lords which also rules) and Liz Ryerson.

https://insertcredit.com/show/

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

Holy poo poo Giant Beastcast :(

It was pretty awesome of them to get the gang back for the last episode, definitely a great episode.

quote:

I'm currently on Dan's new podcast

Which one is that? I'll give it a shot. I'm determined to have 10-15 podcasts that I cycle in and out of going forward, no point in getting too attached to any of them.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

The Gunslinger posted:

Which one is that? I'll give it a shot. I'm determined to have 10-15 podcasts that I cycle in and out of going forward, no point in getting too attached to any of them.

This one: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy80YWFiMWRlYy9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw==

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Look on the bright side: now that the others are gone and can’t judge Jeff anymore, there’s nobody left to stop the return of THE NINTENDOWNLOAD XPRESS

(imagine the theme music here)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I was a mega Idle Thumbs/VGHD fan and I know I'm quite late to really getting into it, but IMO the closest podcast to those in tone right now is Insert Credit. The lineup consists of game archivist Frank Cifaldi, game dev/sega liker Brandon Sheffield, 3-hour-Doom-review guy Tim Rogers, and game dev/affable host Alex Jaffe. I appreciate how full of weird trivia they all are and they have great chemistry.

Recent episodes have featured guests like Jim Stormdancer of Frog Fractions (who has a podcast called Topic Lords which also rules) and Liz Ryerson.

https://insertcredit.com/show/

Downloaded the most recent ep with Jim and it's real good. Thanks for the recommendation!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tim basically quit the podcast a few episodes ago so if you're strictly in it for him, don't bother.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Aw dang, I assumed it was just a break. Was this announced? Maybe I wasn't paying attention. (Edit: AHH, ok, there's a post on their forums about it.) Tim rules but all of the regulars are interesting people so it's still a big rec from me.

Lone Goat posted:

Downloaded the most recent ep with Jim and it's real good. Thanks for the recommendation!

:0)

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 8, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Topic Lords is a goddamn delight, especially when April is on.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tim basically quit the podcast a few episodes ago so if you're strictly in it for him, don't bother.

I say this as someone who enjoys Tim Rogers and his output, but I really think the podcast works better without him and I've been enjoying the post-Tim episodes a lot. Dude sucks up a lot of oxygen in conversations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That and he fell into the habit of steering every topic back to twitterchat, which is never interesting to listen to.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Insert Credit with the Tim on break has been finding its footing quite well. It was a pleasant surprise when he was on the 20 year anniversary ep and stuck around.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I listened to all three hours of Giant Bomb this week, and they announced their changes. Danny O'Dwyer is on staff, and their basic idea is to bring in outside friends who pitch projects. Sounds like there'll be lots of rotating guests. Oh, and Danny and Dan Rykert are going to be doing something together...

So, great! Sounds like Giant Bomb isn't immediately vanishing or sliding into irrelevancy...

...then I put on Waypoint, which came out and was recorded even earlier ... and they announce that Vinny, Brad & Alex have launched a new podcast, Nextlander.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-06-08-former-giant-bomb-staff-launch-new-project-nextlander

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I was honestly a little surprised that they would be getting back into the game so quickly after how sudden their departures from Giant Bomb were. But I'm choosing to believe that this is "we love what we were doing, but we're tired of corporate red tape and know a hundred people who have experience launching projects on Patreon who can answer our questions" and not "this guy that we've worked with for over a decade? We actually hate him".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They apparently weren't planning on this necessarily but outright said in their debut episode that the ridiculously massive outpouring of support when they left inspired them to give it a go. And now they have like 11,000 patreon subscribers like 36 hours after announcing, it's pretty amazing, they're in the top 50 patreons now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

They apparently weren't planning on this necessarily but outright said in their debut episode that the ridiculously massive outpouring of support when they left inspired them to give it a go. And now they have like 11,000 patreon subscribers like 36 hours after announcing, it's pretty amazing, they're in the top 50 patreons now.

That's not surprising. I feel like any of those guys could have gotten a job anywhere in the games industry with their track records, but if this is what makes them the happiest then good on 'em.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s great I just can’t handle all these fuckin Patreons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I was honestly a little surprised that they would be getting back into the game so quickly after how sudden their departures from Giant Bomb were. But I'm choosing to believe that this is "we love what we were doing, but we're tired of corporate red tape and know a hundred people who have experience launching projects on Patreon who can answer our questions" and not "this guy that we've worked with for over a decade? We actually hate him".

even if this was 100% planned from the jump, and even if it eventually ends up with them building a company with similar red tape, good for them. they are the attraction, they are the value prop for their media companies, and up to this point in their career other people have profited off of that value. they deserve to reap the rewards of their labour directly.

And even if the patreon falls back a bit in the months to come, looks like they're set for the forseeable future.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

if you're into videos of games, old man remo has started a daily nyt crossword on his channel replacing the (mercilessly culled) spelunky dailies of yore.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Good to see chris back. I've been watching nick play bloodborne recently.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Well this sucks. I loved Steve's appearances on Idle Thumbs, but this all sounds pretty damning.

https://www.polygon.com/22610490/fullbright-steve-gaynor-controversy-stepped-down-open-roads

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Speaking of Chris Remo he is a gust on this episode of the Insert Credit Show podcast.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really enjoy the Triple Click Podcast... I should probably try to listen to more gaming podcasts but not sure where to start.

Anything is better for my dumb doom brain than this week in virology at this point.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Boo/congrats! Austin Walker is leaving Waypoint/Vice for a mystery game dev job in three weeks. I feel he's had an important, relevant and inspired voice on the scene.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hear ya, I hope they find someone that’s a comparable voice cause rob and Patrick don’t really have the same chops for the heavy topics they tend to talk about.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I also appreciated how they just dropped the news asap instead of announcing an abrupt departure at the last possible moment. They joshed Giant Bomb for it a bit, fairly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I hope that Gita is on more frequently.

It’d be lovely if Waypoint+ implodes overnight.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

drat, waypoint crew is solid, but austin is definitely the reason i'm there. been a good run for him though, real curious to see more details on the new gig.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Phone posted:

I hope that Gita is on more frequently.

Man, I can't stand Gita, she's the only person out of all of the podcasts I listen to where I will actively avoid listening to anything she is on. As someone that's from outside the US she just comes across as the exact type of American I never want to listen to - a lot of opinion backed up by very little actual knowledge

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Centusin posted:

Man, I can't stand Gita, she's the only person out of all of the podcasts I listen to where I will actively avoid listening to anything she is on. As someone that's from outside the US she just comes across as the exact type of American I never want to listen to - a lot of opinion backed up by very little actual knowledge

Lol what the hell

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Centusin posted:

Man, I can't stand Gita, she's the only person out of all of the podcasts I listen to where I will actively avoid listening to anything she is on.

It's weird, I love Gita discussing strategy games and they can be really insightful in that space...

But then they spend an hour talking about some extremely basic and uninspired Sims add-on cash-grab garbage or a completely by the numbers Visual Novel as though they were revelatory and meaningful, and I just skip to the next discussion topic (bless Waypoint for having timestamps in their episode descriptions).

Pasco fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I tend to skip episodes with Gita. She seems like a cool person I just find her a bit grating