Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Have one tin left of these that I won a few years ago

I never think to check their FB page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

7 years ago, in the previous iteration of this thread, I tried sardines.

And I did not like them.

Despite that, I keep coming back to lurk this thread, because there's something fascinating about you folks enjoying these little fishes and all the tasty-sounding recipes you come up.

It beats watching unboxing videos, I guess.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Keith Atherton posted:

Have one tin left of these that I won a few years ago

I never think to check their FB page

I'm getting a tin of those and a choice of hat, t-shirt, and apron. Went with the shirt as I assume dine lovers will come and comment on it and I'll make awesome new friends. Also I already have the apron.

naem
May 29, 2011

well, see there’s your problem- where’s the sink??

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got some fish from KO before but didn't see this latest one. I want one of the little forks with the connected tines :fork:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Voice of Labor posted:

I usually soak my choves in red wine vinegar, but I didn't do any acidic stuff on this because I don't think it will really go with the peanut butter

A hot sauce mixed w/ the PB could provide a nice complementary way to get that acid in.

We make a decent approximation of a satay sauce by mixing soy sauce & sirracha w/ PB, which I bet would go nice with dines + quick pickle of choice + carb of choice.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Greatbacon posted:

A hot sauce mixed w/ the PB could provide a nice complementary way to get that acid in.

We make a decent approximation of a satay sauce by mixing soy sauce & sirracha w/ PB, which I bet would go nice with dines + quick pickle of choice + carb of choice.

Yeah that sounds good

I tried dines on cheddar cheese triscuits and that’s not a good flavor combination

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Smugworth posted:

7 years ago, in the previous iteration of this thread, I tried sardines.

And I did not like them.

Despite that, I keep coming back to lurk this thread, because there's something fascinating about you folks enjoying these little fishes and all the tasty-sounding recipes you come up.

It beats watching unboxing videos, I guess.

lots of poo poo can change in seven years and youre obviously still curious

maybe try some good mackerel in oil or smoked herring?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I tolerate the 'dines because i like the idea of eating them a lot more than i actually like eating them.

I much prefer kippers or mackerel so maybe try that if you want to eat oily fish parts from a can

E:f,b

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Oysters are easy to get into as well since they're usually smoked. You could even just do them in a pasta with lemon and garlic, baby steps your way in. Even my dine hating husband likes that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I find it acceptable to dislike eating sardines if you instead like other people liking sardines. Please enjoy your stay.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Is the canned octopus good? I like all the canned fish, and all the canned shellfish, and I like fresh octopus

just something about the idea of canned octopus I can't quite get past

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've only had canned octopus a couple times and I did not care for it at all. Way too salty, rubbery, and the flavor was off. I believe my one taste of canned squid was in the same boat.

I may give it one more whirl, though I'm totally cooking it into some dish like a stir fry or pasta.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

remember what you're fighting for our there lads

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If that's a can of dace in the background, I think I've had that brand before.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

For any goons in the U.K. or Ireland Tesco have some nice mackerels and sardines in their finest range. And I've been able to find King Oscars in a good few Polish shops. The cans are in Polish but I haven't gone too wrong so far.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blessed that our big supermarket chains carry multiple brands of all the canned fish including KO.

I feel down under that tinned Tuna is taking up less space on supermarket shelves and other canned fish products are filling that space which is great.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

i see old town blue pattern corelle ware

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

A Baby Sardine
by Spike Milligan

A baby sardine

Saw her first submarine:

She was scared and watched through a peephole.

"Oh come, come, come,"

Said the sardine's mum.

"It's only a tin full of people."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXvrGsxU_II&hd=1

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Android Apocalypse posted:

If that's a can of dace in the background, I think I've had that brand before.

I keep walking past that can at the Asian grocery store and I'm always tempted to pick one up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If it is dace I found it very dry and with little other liquid in the can. Definitely something to use as an ingredient in a more complete dish.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

titties posted:

I tolerate the 'dines because i like the idea of eating them a lot more than i actually like eating them.

I much prefer kippers or mackerel so maybe try that if you want to eat oily fish parts from a can

E:f,b

Yeah, kippers are great. Bigger fish so it's more like eating a filet. Might be too strong of a taste for somebody that didn't like sardines.

Mackerel is milder and more buttery than sardines. It's a great tuna alternative: it's both healthier and more sustainable.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don't know if I'd call mackerel "milder" than sardines. In general mackerel is a pretty oily fish & IMO is one of the "fishiest" in terms of flavour.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

If it is dace I found it very dry and with little other liquid in the can. Definitely something to use as an ingredient in a more complete dish.

Yeah it's more a kind of thing you stir-fry with veggies/rice or like chuck into rice as it cooks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I found my can of dace in my pantry & I'm tempted to put it into tomorrow morning's shakshouka, but I got a lot of wild mushrooms I got at the farmers market last Sunday that I need to utilize before they go bad.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

it is my conviction that it is weirdly easy to get your kids to like fish in a can. i know from my own personal experience. the fact that my mom banished us to the garage to eat them because of the smell gave them a bonus.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yeah for some reason it is much easier to get people to like that sort of thing when they are still little kids.

Some of my oldest memories are of sharing tins of smoked oysters with my grandma, and oysters are still a cherished snack for me.

Nearly ever adult I've tried to introduce to smoked oysters was repulsed. Nearly every little kid I've given them to was crazy about them. I've always wondered why.

E: maybe it's just because kids are hell of gross

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bullfrog posted:

it is my conviction that it is weirdly easy to get your kids to like fish in a can. i know from my own personal experience. the fact that my mom banished us to the garage to eat them because of the smell gave them a bonus.

I ate pickled herring and kipper snacks as a kid with my grandpa and they didn't become "gross" until I was older. He used to pickle his own walleye even.

I've been passing along the love. Gotta keep a Costco sized jar of pickled herring around for the neice and nephew visits. They go nuts for the stuff.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Allstone posted:

Yeah it's more a kind of thing you stir-fry with veggies/rice or like chuck into rice as it cooks.

Pretty sure I posted this before, but Chinese Cooking Demystified had a short video on it. I definitely need to do this fried rice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEC5ZfsOYp0

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

I ate pickled herring and kipper snacks as a kid with my grandpa and they didn't become "gross" until I was older. He used to pickle his own walleye even.

I've been passing along the love. Gotta keep a Costco sized jar of pickled herring around for the neice and nephew visits. They go nuts for the stuff.

learning to pickle fish is a goal of mine. just pickling in general actually. but much like home brewing, it scares me.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I believe my one taste of canned squid was in the same boat.

I got introduced to this through this very thread a while back. Very tasty, but a bit pricy for canned seafood. Worth it to me, YMMV.

https://portugaliamarketplace.com/collections/squid/products/lucas-stuffed-squids-in-mediterranean-sauce

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Bullfrog posted:

learning to pickle fish is a goal of mine. just pickling in general actually. but much like home brewing, it scares me.

Pickling is easy. Canning adds work because of the need for sterilization but even canning is much harder to screw up than brewing

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bullfrog posted:

I've found my way onto the path of pickling by doing "quick pickle" recipes; which helps you get the fundamentals while avoiding the extra overhead of canning. I'd recommend red onion or cabbage as a great way to start! Plus quick pickled red onions go great with sardines.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Keith Atherton posted:

Pickling is easy. Canning adds work because of the need for sterilization but even canning is much harder to screw up than brewing
But oh boy when you do its pants shittingly paralyzing.

Get the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, its a good overall overview and has a lot of important sections about when you need to worry or when you don't. As longs as its not in the pressure canning section its just gonna taste gross or make you poo poo your pants if you screw up (meat tends to be in the pressure canning section)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Greatbacon posted:

I've found my way onto the path of pickling by doing "quick pickle" recipes; which helps you get the fundamentals while avoiding the extra overhead of canning. I'd recommend red onion or cabbage as a great way to start! Plus quick pickled red onions go great with sardines.

Pickled red onions are a dream to put in sandwiches, tacos, salads, and pretty much anything else, and they are so easy to make. Here's a recipe I've used before, although I change some things around every time:

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-quickpickled-red-onions-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193247

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

more souls in the brine to brew pipeline

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A couple days old but Jacques Pépin still got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78ExRgrto4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A couple days old but Jacques Pépin still got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78ExRgrto4

magnifique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't know what you're all doing with your lives, but I've got a tin of anchovies soaking in coconut milk