Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sankara posted:

You know what's way more heroic than fighting villains, mushroom girl? Feeding the hungry! Mushrooms are tasty and very good for you, if she can spawn them with, let's be real here, magic, she's in the wrong field!

There was a throwaway line about the mushrooms disappearing after an hour or so. What happens an hour after I've eaten a delicious mushroom ragu? Is this just bulimia without the messy part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sankara posted:

You know what's way more heroic than fighting villains, mushroom girl? Feeding the hungry! Mushrooms are tasty and very good for you, if she can spawn them with, let's be real here, magic, she's in the wrong field!
They go away after a few hours. So I think their nutrition would vanish too.

Eej posted:

I uh, do you know anything about infectious diseases? Because an uncontrolled fungal infection in your lungs is Extremely Bad. This is about as bad as if you had telekinesis and you used it to pinch cerebral arteries to knock people out.
Oh yeah in real life it's really bad. But Kinoko's powers fade after a few hours.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume she can also get rid of them manually because I would think that a mushroom stuck in someone's windpipe for a few hours would probably cause problems.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pakled posted:

And Kaminari would probably do more good for the world just generating clean energy for public use forever than being a hero.

ah yes, the firepunch style of societal planning

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if "a medium sized farm" is really that high value, society already has farms. Being able to do it more efficiently or whatever is cool but idk what the plan to do more good that route is, just have a farm but all the food is donated towards the needy? Like that's probably more useful than being a cop but she isn't going to single handedly end hunger

Kaminari potentially just being a solar panel farm is basically the same thing. Like society could just build solar panel farms, but they don't, and creating some way for kaminari to feed the power grid personally would probably run into similar issues as real world green energy sources with getting the local power grid to let him jack in

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is just making me think of that parody comic where Superman becomes a battery until he dies and is then remembered as a previously useful form of now antiquated energy.

Also reminding me how Momo can in fact create anything she wants, and it sticks around. But she doesn't because it would "ruin the economy."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kaminari doesn't really have that much output either, he definitely wouldn't last long enough to keep a single household going for one day before running out of juice. If anything people with useful quirks would probably do something like what firebenders in Korra did, get paid to do a couple shifts at the power plant zapping capacitors in your spare time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nephthys posted:

Pre-season 3 All for One at least strongly suspected that Deku possessed One for All and could very easily have found out his address and sent Kurogiri to kidnap him in his sleep with no way to track him.

The real reason this doesn't happen is because it's a story and that would gently caress up the plot progression and having to justify why this doesn't happen would detract from the story more than it helps. Likewise a world where villains are attacking the families of heroes isn't one Horikoshi wanted to write about.
All for One would never kidnap his own son.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I'm also annoyed at how "omg ew mushrooms" basically took down 3/4 of the team despite them being an annoyance at best for 99% of the fight.

Yeah I understand why they couldn't animate it fully but for reference this was the mushroom spam in the manga:

It's a bit more crazy. The mushrooms mainly just neutralized Invisiblegirl since it was hard for her to move around and she got completely covered in them. It also gave Vantablack plenty of options to hide and distracted Tokoyami enough that he couldn't really do anything.

Jackard posted:

All for One would never kidnap his own son.

:mmmhmm:

Also the real reason Aoyama/Hagakure were useless in this match is because he/she is the traitor.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 2, 2021

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The mushroom power is just too broad in implications to be used in this kind of show without raising an eyebrow---had she led with hallucinogenics, even beyond poisonous or the airway obstructors, the fight would've ended there. Or, as with similar inherent mechanical problems with shows or games that give somebody roughly a Conjure Flame equivalent---manifest them essentially directly upon the opposition's eyeballs while making eye contact and that's the end of that.

Momo's character just keeps winding up weird as it seems almost like they are trying to straddle her between being a hero and doing the more perhaps logical thing of being a support engineer like Hatsumei, only capable of creating artifact levels of personalized gear in theory. Load her up with some bizarre super macro nutrient concoction(the soldier pills Naruto Forgot, etc) not unlike Sugarman's pre-buffs and have her team armed to the gills on top of whatever comes up later.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jesus with the mushroom girl! Let's just fill someone's lungs with fungus to win a sparring match. I guess Bakugo isn't the only "How are you not a villain" at UA.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Her making high tech goggles that can heatvision enemies at range raises questions as to why she isn't popping things like that out for everyone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

socialsecurity posted:

Her making high tech goggles that can heatvision enemies at range raises questions as to why she isn't popping things like that out for everyone.
That book on her rear end suddenly feels pretty useless if she can make complicated electronics, yeah.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got the impression originally when this happened in the manga that was simultaneously development and a setback for Momo. Momo's previous problem was choice paralysis- she couldn't think fast enough in the sports festival to win, and froze up fighting Aizawa. She's confident in her PLANS now and executes them, but the flaw that brought her down was thinking she couldn't take Kendo in a 1v1. Momo sacrifices herself to help the team and stall Kendo, but the real PLUS ULTRA thing to do would've been to square up with her and win anyway.

Kendo saying she didn't feel like she really won is kinda lame, but I guess the idea there is just that they had to use simple brute force to win with Kendo dragging Momo and a cannon around and Kinoko just loving choking Tokoyami out. Kinoko choking out Tokoyami is kinda messed up but I think using toxic or magic mushrooms on everyone would probably be magnitudes more dangerous to everyone. Also I think the ones she used on Tokoyami are a fungus that specifically can grow in your throat/lungs, which is something most mushrooms cannot do.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 2, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
They made a big deal in the license exam about how much people were being inspired by Deku but at no point did she consider securing a victory by shattering her bones smh

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The mushroom power is just too broad in implications to be used in this kind of show without raising an eyebrow---had she led with hallucinogenics, even beyond poisonous or the airway obstructors, the fight would've ended there. Or, as with similar inherent mechanical problems with shows or games that give somebody roughly a Conjure Flame equivalent---manifest them essentially directly upon the opposition's eyeballs while making eye contact and that's the end of that.

Her mushroom spores have to actually get on things to grow.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Even if it's 100% safe and non-lethal, throat/lung mushrooms is a level of body horror that I'd expect to see an inquiry on if you used it on a villain, let alone a student (although I'd wager MHA Japan has very few protections for villains). It does fit in with the very lax standards the rest of the series has though, like Eraserhead not expelling Izuku the first day because actually, breaking a finger every time you use your quirk (without any sort of regeneration) does in fact mean you have no hero potential. Either he's had it for most of his life like everyone else, in which case obviously it's completely useless because he'd never stop breaking his bones, or they know he didn't have it until the entrance exam in which case not training him to stop crippling himself is criminally negligent. Or even, you know, therapy for this insane kid who keeps mutilating himself to pass school tests.

I think part of the weird feeling about these class fights is they previously made a big deal about how 1A had the hesitation beat out of them by repeated exposure to villains, to the point where they are out engaging in actual heroics...but then these pop up and they are suddenly very hesitant while 1B is managing to both be decisive and create elaborate plans.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I guess the PLUUUUUS UUULTRAAAA for that would be that Class A has hero potential since they don't, in fact, resort to Tokiyami Dark Suffocating everyone, Never Stop Shining and Invisigal blinding everyone, etc, and deal with the threat pretty normally.

"Hey threats aren't neutralized when you capture them" was kind of apparent with Stain and the Nomu, but Class A definitely feels like it's holding back since they've faced actual deadly threats, while B throws everything they can at them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pakled posted:

And Kaminari would probably do more good for the world just generating clean energy for public use forever than being a hero.

It doesn't seem like he can make very much, I think shocking some baddies is a reasonable use of his time. Perhaps a side gig where he fills batteries or something.

oh jay posted:

There was a throwaway line about the mushrooms disappearing after an hour or so. What happens an hour after I've eaten a delicious mushroom ragu? Is this just bulimia without the messy part?

Ah, I didn't catch that. You raise an interesting point, though! Perhaps magic grown mushrooms, with no nutrients to feed on, also taste terrible and are not beneficial? Like the Mob Psycho 100 philosophy, psychically grown muscles aren't as good as working hard!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Sankara posted:

It doesn't seem like he can make very much, I think shocking some baddies is a reasonable use of his time. Perhaps a side gig where he fills batteries or something.

I'm pretty sure all of his friends make him charge their phones, so he can do that much at least.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Going by the second movie both Momo and Kaminari would do amazingly as part of any type of aid effort that involves extremely devastated areas.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I'm pretty sure all of his friends make him charge their phones, so he can do that much at least.

It costs less than a dollar a year in electricity to charge your cell phone. The ability to charge phones is not very impressive on an industrial scale.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
FWIW based on what one of the villains in the USJ arc says, electric type heroes are relatively rare because there’s such a strong demand for them on the job market instead

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I don't care about any of these characters they just introduced and I suspect they will never matter again why are we spending multiple episodes on these fights? When do we get to the goddam fireworks factory. Jesus.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I don't care about any of these characters they just introduced and I suspect they will never matter again why are we spending multiple episodes on these fights? When do we get to the goddam fireworks factory. Jesus.

I care about some of these dumb idiots like the idiots in 1-A and I hope they'll keep showing up and giving their support.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Not Keyser Soze posted:

We actually already met them all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This is like the second or third time we've met them all. And they do kinda matter.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My stance on Momo is that she gets the focus because she does legitimately get better each time, but it's a slow growth (to contrast Izuku smashing every ceiling he can). It's unfortunate that they keep talking her up, but speaking as someone who was gifted in school this kind of happens in real life. People with high natural intelligence getting talked up, only to choke and fail at every actual test they take, but the teachers know they've got this skill and capability so they just keep pushing and working on how to get around the choking. That's almost literally what's going on in the vs teacher fight in fact, helping Momo become self-confident in her plans and skills and intelligence. Largely I suspect her issue is that because she spends a lot of time memorising all the combinations of items to make she doesn't spend enough time actually training for straight on fighting, and she needs a lot more actual 1 on 1 fight training both with a variety of weapons she can produce and tactics she can use without having to stop or consider sacrificing herself the optimal solution.

Heh, choking.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 4, 2021

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
If you guys like mushrooms then you should checkout Dorohedoro anime (its on netflix for Australians). The boss En has mushroom magic, if he loses control mushrooms explode and consume everything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dorohedoro/comments/f85kun/just_finished_the_manga_and_had_to_draw_mushroom/

Dude eats his own mushrooms.

Anyway I really liked Shinso (brain washing dude). He's going to absolutely destroy everyone in the future. His quirk really needs to be kept a secret and a cover quirk needs to be created for him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Suspicious Lump posted:

Anyway I really liked Shinso (brain washing dude). He's going to absolutely destroy everyone in the future. His quirk really needs to be kept a secret and a cover quirk needs to be created for him.

He reached the high rounds in the Sports Festival so the cat's pretty much out of the bag on that one. But the cool thing about his new voice changing abilities is it makes his quirk useful even when villains know about it. As demonstrated in the first 1-A vs 1-B fight, when the enemy knows about his quirk, it breaks down their communication because they're afraid to respond to anything they think their allies are saying.

He needs to improve his fighting skills but he'll be an absolute terror if/when he does.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Makes me wonder what training his brainwashing entails. After all, "being responded to" is a bit of a philosophical question, no? "Haha, I'm so good at brainwashing now that all I have to do is get you to look at me!"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He learns sign language so that movement itself becomes a response

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Increasing the number of people he can control at once maybe?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
More complex commands or firmer control probably since presumably it's not a binary power like Eraserhead's where it's either applied or not applied.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

NikkolasKing posted:

This is just making me think of that parody comic where Superman becomes a battery until he dies and is then remembered as a previously useful form of now antiquated energy.

Real talk how is iron man. It a villain since he has a source of infinity energy but doesn’t give it away and make the earth a paradise

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Real talk how is iron man. It a villain since he has a source of infinity energy but doesn’t give it away and make the earth a paradise

One of the running background plots in Iron Man movies is him trying to figure out how to provide clean power to the world without setting everyone up with the ability to set off nuclear grade explosions at will. From the fact Stark Industries is still incredibly successful despite completely abandoning its primary line of business, and from how we don't see many people in the films talking about the need for clean power sources, it suggests that he's made pretty good progress on that line.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Isn’t that literally part of his plot in the first Avengers?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

christmas boots posted:

People can be forgiven for not watching any of the Avengers

e: in fact they should be lauded

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

christmas boots posted:

no, the only reference to that I remember is him cutting stark tower off the city power grid so he can run it himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

no, the only reference to that I remember is him cutting stark tower off the city power grid so he can run it himself

I thought it was supposed to be some sort of proof-of-concept that he could power stark tower with the totally clean arc-reactor energy.

And then there's the subplot with SHIELD where supposedly they were studying the tesseract for that purpose as well but were actually making weapons.