Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

My only real complaint about the High Republic so far is how thickly they lay on “We are all the Republic”. This is the least screwed up the galaxy has ever been in a story, at least on the surface, but they overdid it a bit knocking the point home.

Keep in mind that the entire HR story ins a three act structure. I think the cracks will start to show as we move into Phase 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

When's the second (non-YA) High Republic novel due out, anyway?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Drone posted:

When's the second (non-YA) High Republic novel due out, anyway?

June 29th: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0593159411/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ad84BMo_gQ

I never realized there was comms chatter from the Republic Commando game that referenced Omega Squad's operation on Qiilura from Hard Contact.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 16, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Huh, I had no idea about that either. Funny the little things that pop up like that.

On kind of a similar note I've been rewatching the original Clone Wars series since it's on Disney Plus now and I'd forgotten how many EU things are in that. Mon Calamari obviously but I had forgotten that Ilum and Muunilinst were prior EU inventions too, and even its depiction of Dantooine is pretty in-line with its earlier EU imaging.

Also kind of funny to see Ilum knowing it becomes Starkiller Base, or that the first General Grievous episode is set around a crashed star destroyer on a desert planet. And even just in general a ton of stuff that the 3D Clone Wars clearly used as a basis for their own episodes.

Actually outside of the Star Wars links I'd also say the last season of Samurai Jack feels like it drew from some of the Clone Wars action scenes, too.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Huh, I had no idea about that either. Funny the little things that pop up like that.

On kind of a similar note I've been rewatching the original Clone Wars series since it's on Disney Plus now and I'd forgotten how many EU things are in that. Mon Calamari obviously but I had forgotten that Ilum and Muunilinst were prior EU inventions too, and even its depiction of Dantooine is pretty in-line with its earlier EU imaging.

Also kind of funny to see Ilum knowing it becomes Starkiller Base, or that the first General Grievous episode is set around a crashed star destroyer on a desert planet. And even just in general a ton of stuff that the 3D Clone Wars clearly used as a basis for their own episodes.

Actually outside of the Star Wars links I'd also say the last season of Samurai Jack feels like it drew from some of the Clone Wars action scenes, too.

The tension and palpable (hah) menace that show had for its final three episodes were a real achievement. The change in tone and quality from the first episodes is amazing.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 16, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They keep trying to make a younger kids show. realizing that people are getting really deep into it, turning up the stakes, and then starting the cycle over with the next show. I would have loved to see further seasons of Resistance just see where they'd take that one

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think Resistance was flawed from the foundation given it's a show called Resistance where the Resistance never really appears or plays a major part. It clearly started out as two ideas blended together (more lighthearted space racers and a sequel tie-in show) and the best episodes of Resistance were the ones where they leaned fully into only one of those premises.

If they had really been brave they should have made it a prequel-era podracing show. I mean hell they could have just replaced First Order with Separatists and it wouldn't have really made any major difference.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve never watched an episode. It looked like such a visual downgrade from TCW or Rebels, and aimed much more at kids. Now after the Sequel Trilogy has concluded I can’t really be made to care about poo poo that’s very tied into it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

You're really not missing much. And with the exception of like one character storyline, most of the sequel tie-in stuff is so superficial it ends up not feeling like the tie-in elements are important at all. Like, BB-8 is a main character, and Phasma and Hux and Poe show up a few times, but they could be Generic Characters and nothing would really change. And then in the second season, when they're ostensibly fighting the First Order, the connections are basically them going to a system and finding out, whoops, the Resistance was just here, looks like we missed them by five minutes!

The two sequel-related things in Resistance I did really like were the main characters watching the broadcast of Hux's speech when he fires the Starkiller laser, and them finding the remains of a solar system whose sun had been absorbed by Starkiller with the frozen civilization ruins on one of the planets.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ve never watched an episode. It looked like such a visual downgrade from TCW or Rebels, and aimed much more at kids. Now after the Sequel Trilogy has concluded I can’t really be made to care about poo poo that’s very tied into it.

It's not good. You're fine not watching it. Like, there's a couple of decent episodes, but really, you're fine. It's mostly just, "Random hijinks set during the sequel trilogy era, a couple times we reference the events of the sequel trilogy", and those random hijinks are so loving silly and stupid.

It's not a Filoni show, and it shows. Clone Wars and Rebels are kid's shows that rise above their genre. Resistance is a kid's show that...doesn't do that.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 16, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

It's not a Filoni show, and it shows. Clone Wars and Rebels are kid's shows that rise above their genre. Resistance is a kid's show that...doesn't do that.

It's funny, Filoni was an executive producer on the show and I remember before it debuted, people pointing out that EPs don't really have a lot to do with projects were getting attacked online by Filoni fans convinced this was going to be Rebels 2 and that anyone who thought Filoni wasn't going to be involved were just angry because of TLJ and trying to sabotage Star Wars. Then the show came out and those voices somehow went away....

(Though whenever Resistance comes up online I do still see people claim it wasn't successful only because anti-Disney fans or gamergaters or whatever, which... lol. It's okay to admit that sometimes the Brand is not 100%)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll dissent and say that Resistance is still fun and worth watching (especially if you've got kids or younger siblings), but it definitely is and remains a kids show for both its seasons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It was okay, but it had the chance to mature at the end of season one and didn't. I feel like this take is pretty much spot on.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Resistance was flawed from the foundation given it's a show called Resistance where the Resistance never really appears or plays a major part. It clearly started out as two ideas blended together (more lighthearted space racers and a sequel tie-in show) and the best episodes of Resistance were the ones where they leaned fully into only one of those premises.

If they had really been brave they should have made it a prequel-era podracing show. I mean hell they could have just replaced First Order with Separatists and it wouldn't have really made any major difference.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
If Disney had some courage, they could declare that podracing is no longer canon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The best thing to come out of the prequels were the episode I podracing games. Which are now non-canon. So in a way they have.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kemper Boyd posted:

If Disney had some courage, they could declare that podracing is no longer canon.
Whoa hey let's not say things we can't take back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Podracing was noncanon we wouldn't have gotten Darth Vader using the Force to ruin Luke's Podrace record so that Anakin wouldn't be topped as best human racer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Podracing was noncanon we wouldn't have gotten Darth Vader using the Force to ruin Luke's Podrace record so that Anakin wouldn't be topped as best human racer.

I obviously missed something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

I obviously missed something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well this is very silly.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

This kind of petty poo poo is exactly what Anakin would do so this tracks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

I still find TCW inconsistent, but more in the way most TV shows that run for a while before finding their footing are inconsistent. Resistance never found its footing because it was made in the midst of Disney's "we have no goddamn idea what we are doing" phase. TCW at least hit a chord eventually.

TCW was a show that had its vision change as it progressed and it struggled to strike a balance, but when it hit its marks it really hits its marks. The biggest issue with the show in my mind is the dialogue. It reminds me a lot of Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles where the show has trouble deciding if it wants to use more straightforward performances and dialogue versus simplifying things and goofing it up for a younger audience. Like Roughnecks, it gets better when it leans into things without dumbing them down in a way that is patronizing to kids. Kids are smart, they can handle themes and context without needing to talk down to them or wear a clown mask. Rotta Stinky The Hutt was not a good idea and he got punted quick.

Resistance never even bothered to go beyond the nadir of children's entertainment where loud noises and exaggerated enthusiasm were the norm. It's like watching Teen Titans GO! without actually being funny.

Filoni has also improved drastically over the years. His work on Mando has a much stronger grasp on making universal entertainment rather than targeting individual groups. I'm still eh on some of his dialogue and plotline choices, but it's a far cry from the Blue Shadow Virus or Korkie and the Poisoned Tea plot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw the new Thrawn book comes out today. Anybody read it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Started it, haven’t gotten very far yet. I’m sure I’ll be happy with it. Alliances wasn’t that great, but otherwise Zahn has been doing pretty good lately.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bit of a weird question but do we know who was the first Star Trek actor to appear in a Star Wars product? I was watching Clone Wars season 1 on Disney and I remembered the big fuss back in 2008 when George Takei showed up in the episode with the Irish Peace Lemurs. But I also know for a fact he wasn't the first, since Armin Shimmerman and Ethan Phillips both did voice work for Knights of the Old Republic.

So who was first? Barring genre actors who jump around everywhere, otherwise it would probably be Carolyn Seymour.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bit of a weird question but do we know who was the first Star Trek actor to appear in a Star Wars product? I was watching Clone Wars season 1 on Disney and I remembered the big fuss back in 2008 when George Takei showed up in the episode with the Irish Peace Lemurs. But I also know for a fact he wasn't the first, since Armin Shimmerman and Ethan Phillips both did voice work for Knights of the Old Republic.

So who was first? Barring genre actors who jump around everywhere, otherwise it would probably be Carolyn Seymour.

I'm not really ready to delve into time frames on which appearances happened when, but this article is probably a good starting point if you want to investigate.

Actors Who Were In Both Star Trek And Star Wars

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like Felix Silla named there is gonna win it, unless we can find someone else in the original pilot of TOS who was in an earlier Star Wars film than RotJ.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

A bit of a tangent from your question but as regards Ethan Phillips, Raphael Sbarge was also in a number of episodes of Voyager so I suppose he technically counts as a Star Trek actor who crossed over. I also recall Voyager having an alien species called the Quarren.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FYI, High Republic: Into the Dark is available on Kindle for 99 cents today. Regular price is $17.99. In case anyone was interested in giving it a shot and wants to do it cheap.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished Light of the Jedi Order and here are some random thoughts:

• Odd to see someone described as a bastard and no use of the old EU curses or terms.
  • I was a little weirded out to see Shyriiwook placed simply in regular speech quotes instead of it being italicized.
  • Jedi passing out from overexertion in their Force use is new I think. I can only remember there was a dude who died when Luke's apprentices channeled the Force through him to throw a Star Destroyer fleet out of a solar system (god the Jedi Academy trilogy was dumb)
  • Each Jedi seeing the Force in a different way is neat.
  • I'm pretty sure this book has the highest Jedi death toll at sixteen. A High Council member dies rather anticlimactically too. This is pretty high for an order that at its height is ten thousand strong.
  • Had a little chuckle at the mention of Selkath being up in arms about bacta being the new wonder drug. Don't know why they decided to call the old stuff juvan instead of bringing kolto into the new canon.
  • I was surprised to see the Great Sith War name dropped. I wonder if Exar Kun will be returning to canon or they're going to do something different with the same name.
  • They totally referenced KOTOR 2 on the same page as the Great Sith War.
  • I'm a little confused if hyperspace drives need a relay beacon at this point in time or not. The book mentions access zones and such.
  • Where are the Sith and what have they been doing?

Those thoughts aside I think it manages to setup things well enough. The Nihil aren't interesting villains in this book, but I think they and Marchion Ro have a lot of potential.
When Ro was thinking to himself that he viewed Starlight Station not as outreach, but force projection. His whole plan for the Nihil fell into place for me. There's downsides of the Republic expanding into the Outer Rim that haven't been touch on that he can exploit. Mass unemployment as a world's economy is upended by new trade deals or hyperspace lanes that Republic creates that breeds anger. Resentment from the Republic and Jedi meddling in the internal affairs of worlds that don't wish to be part of the galactic community. I could be off base though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember "bastard" was used in one or two of the late-period EU books. I think Darth Plagueis?

OhFunny posted:

[*]Jedi passing out from overexertion in their Force use is new I think. I can only remember there was a dude who died when Luke's apprentices channeled the Force through him to throw a Star Destroyer fleet out of a solar system (god the Jedi Academy trilogy was dumb)

Luke Skywalker dies from overusing the Force.

A number of Mandalorian episodes also have Baby Yoda passing out from using the Force.

OhFunny posted:

[*]I was surprised to see the Great Sith War name dropped. I wonder if Exar Kun will be returning to canon or they're going to do something different with the same name.

Exar Kun and him being a Sith Lord is mentioned in Solo (though in writing on the set, not dialogue).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember "bastard" was used in one or two of the late-period EU books. I think Darth Plagueis?

Luke Skywalker dies from overusing the Force.

A number of Mandalorian episodes also have Baby Yoda passing out from using the Force.

Oh right he does. Definitely a new thing though right?

I actually haven’t seen The Mandalorian.

quote:

Exar Kun and him being a Sith Lord is mentioned in Solo (though in writing on the set, not dialogue).

Sweet.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jon Kasdan inserted a ton of EU references into Solo. The room on the ship with Paul Bettany is basically nothing but stuff drawn from the EU (and from the art book, it's clear they were intended to be so rather than just retconned in by the visual guide or whatever).

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I’m a tad confused about how a bootleg/unpublished EU book ended up on Amazon

https://youtu.be/pVa_4l8u0xc

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

I'm guessing this will get pulled off fast. Something similar happened back in... I want to say 2006? Someone put their fanfic novel about Leia and Padme's niece teaming up together on Amazon and it got yanked off within a few days. It also was originally a free fanfic PDF before she put it on Amazon, too.

This case seems really weird in that the person selling it is not the actual author? That is really skeezy.

That being said from what I understand the original Heart of a Jedi was an actual book that was commissioned by Lucasfilm in the 90s but never published for some internal reason. I read it when it got publicly released, it's an interesting cultural artifact and I think it has some interesting parallels to the nu-EU as it got developed after TFA came out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

From what I remember it was commissioned but then got bumped because another author was friends with someone in licensing. Then it just never came out and the guy quit writing. It was posted online by the author 5 or 6 years ago I think. I never actually read it.

So what do we think of The Bad Batch?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

So what do we think of The Bad Batch?

I guess this might be a spoiler so I'll be careful: Its approach to adapting the Kanan comic is yet another example that the "all material is equally canon" claim lasts up until someone in TV or movies wants to change something in a published medium. In other words, the old canon hierarchy never went away. As everyone who didn't buy into the Brand knew it would. That being said I really don't care about the Kanan comic, or really canon at all, so whatever.

I liked it better than I thought I would. I just was not interested for all of the pre-release publicity, but it was, while not great, at least pretty good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I feel really dumb now because I somehow missed that it was young Kanan

I liked it so far. Rebels never really came close to achieving the same greatness TCW did. I’m hoping this trends closer to that.

If I had to guess about Omega, She looks like a young Satine. Not sure what benefit that would have unless it’s ultimately going to have something to do with the Mandalore succession issue that The Mandalorian season 2 was hinting at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nckdictator posted:

Same way any topic you can think of has a book up there that's literally just the wikipedia article reformatted and sold via a print on demand vanity publishing outfit. Amazon have gently caress all quality control over what they allow up there.