Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

What's all this then?

This is There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension, a non-game by Draw Me A Pixel, released in August of 2020.

Non-game?

Yeah. Didn't you read the title? There is no game!

So, um, tell me more about this non-game.

Well, this non-game was originally made for a game jam in 2015 (or to be precise, a 10-15 minute long non-game with the same basic idea as this non-game), which seems inappropriate, but whatever. The idea was popular, and the developer of this non-game decided they could expand it. With that in mind, a Kickstarter was launched in 2016, which, alas, failed. However, even with the Kickstarter failed, it was said that the project would go on, just with less funds, for obvious reasons. This eventually led to in the release of There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension in August of 2020.

As for what this non-game actually involves, well, I'll say that it's something that is best experienced, not described.

And how will you be LPing this non-game?

I will be doing this in subtitled video form. This non-game has a lot of voice acting, so I want to show that off and not have to squeeze my commentary into the quiet parts.

Spoiler policy?

No spoilers. loving period. Spoil and I'll call the mods on you, and they have so little to do that when they have to do something, they get cranky. And you don't want cranky mods.

And with that, let's get going!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I saw Jade Star stream the main story last night and this, er, project is a trip. Someone summed it up with "JAde... .did you *make* this game?"

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

NGDBSS posted:

I saw Jade Star stream the main story last night and this, er, project is a trip. Someone summed it up with "JAde... .did you *make* this game?"

Yes, I saw the test post for this when it went up, watched like 10-15 minutes of the video, and immediately bought two copies and sent one to Jade. So thanks TheMcD because this owns and I probably would never have come across it otherwise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've played the flash game gamejam version a couple times. Didn't know there was a fuller version of it 'til now. First non-level starts off similar to the short version but very quickly branches off into its own thing. Looking forward to seeing where this thing goes after that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:catstare:

Well, that happened.

Looking forward to more.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Lotus Aura posted:

I've played the flash game gamejam version a couple times. Didn't know there was a fuller version of it 'til now. First non-level starts off similar to the short version but very quickly branches off into its own thing. Looking forward to seeing where this thing goes after that.

Yeah, it was fun watching that first video and spotting all of the references to the gamejam version.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
This non-game is so drat good. I really wish more people had played it, you can really feel the passion of the creator, and I really want him to make more non-games. I appreciate the subtitle format, I think almost all of the playthroughs I have seen of this non-game are obnoxious streamers desperate to talk over everything.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I bought this product, finished it, and bought the soundtrack. Bring it with me on most long trips. Highly recommend it for everyone. Please read this post in a heavy French Canadian accent if possible.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Ahh, man, this non-game. I have fond memories of the gamejam version of this, it had its charm. And when I saw that this was now a thing, I got pretty hyped about it. I'm glad plenty of people play it and appreciate it.

I also appreciate the subtitle format, it fits in nicely.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nidoking posted:

I bought this product, finished it, and bought the soundtrack. Bring it with me on most long trips. Highly recommend it for everyone. Please read this post in a heavy French Canadian accent if possible.
The narrator's VA is straight-up French, but he's from south-central France (Villeurbanne) rather than Paris so that makes his accent just that much different.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am delighted to see an LP of this game, because I actually watched a friend stream it two weeks ago and have been trying to convince others to give it a shot ever since. My lone complaint is that that the French 'version' of the game should have been called "Ceci N'est Pas Une Jeu", that seems like the obvious choice.

Also I love how tactile the puzzles are, just chucking heavy poo poo across the screen to knock other poo poo over.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

The narrator's VA is straight-up French, but he's from south-central France (Villeurbanne) rather than Paris so that makes his accent just that much different.

I figured that was his real voice as the narrator for the French non-game, and the regular narrator's voice was a fake accent for effect.

Don't mind the edit - call it an abundance of caution.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 22, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This non-game is great and more people should play it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The gently caress did I just watch? :psyduck:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rarity posted:

The gently caress did I just watch? :psyduck:

Not a game, that's for sure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NGDBSS posted:

I was just thinking that his accent was French, so that when the 'French' version of the non-game came up I was thoroughly confused.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Since people have been sharing how they've been introduced to this non-game, I might as well share mine as well.

Every once in a while I check the YouTube channel of VTuber, electric monster and tea kettle Pikamee, because while she primarily streams in Japanese, which I cannot understand, every once in a while she does an English stream. And one of those streams was indeed of There Is No Game.

So I start watching it, and I think I got to the brick breaker section at most before I had to stop the video and just get the non-game for myself. It's very rare that I get grabbed by something so hard, but There Is No Game did it.

And it absolutely knocked it out of the park, too. Front to back a marvelous experience, and I knew the moment I finished it I had to LP it some day.

If I get some people to buy and play the non-game for themselves, this LP will have served its purpose.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I bought it a while back and left it to sit in my backlog. When I saw the LP go up, I decided to give it a spin, and I was happy with what I found.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
If it were a game, then I would have purchased and played it. However, as it is definitely not a game, I definitely did not purchase and play it, as it is not a game, you see.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Since people have been sharing how they've been introduced to this non-game, I might as well share mine as well.

Every once in a while I check the YouTube channel of VTuber, electric monster and tea kettle Pikamee, because while she primarily streams in Japanese, which I cannot understand, every once in a while she does an English stream. And one of those streams was indeed of There Is No Game.

So I start watching it, and I think I got to the brick breaker section at most before I had to stop the video and just get the non-game for myself. It's very rare that I get grabbed by something so hard, but There Is No Game did it.

And it absolutely knocked it out of the park, too. Front to back a marvelous experience, and I knew the moment I finished it I had to LP it some day.

If I get some people to buy and play the non-game for themselves, this LP will have served its purpose.

For me, it was a Markiplier YouTube video. I got to a similar point in the non-game, and realized I would rather play it myself, and I am really glad I did. There is just something so special about this thing when you are not up playing it yourself, rather than watching someone else. I think your LP method is the best, and I didn't know how many things are said when you take too long with some of the puzzles.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I was not expecting this to be nearly so charming. I'm definitely intrigued after watching that, this is amazing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

We find ourselves in front of a TV with static. Will we find a game here, maybe?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love how on the one hand, this chapter is focused on sometimes literal moon logic gameplay in a parody of adventure games. But on the other hand your objectives, while bizarre, are always clearly communicated so that you don't end up with the kind of bullshit that showed up in those games.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just stealing every part of the UI that isn't nailed in :allears:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

NGDBSS posted:

I love how on the one hand, this chapter is focused on sometimes literal moon logic gameplay in a parody of adventure games. But on the other hand your objectives, while bizarre, are always clearly communicated so that you don't end up with the kind of bullshit that showed up in those games.

I don't know what you're talking about, 'put the bridle on the snake' made perfect logical sense :shepicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Black Robe posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, 'put the bridle on the snake' made perfect logical sense :shepicide:

My favorite adventure game logic will always be "defeat the Yeti by throwing pie in his face", because sure, that's reasonable. Also good joke on the player if they managed to eat the pie on the way to the Yeti, not knowing there was a face waiting for it...

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I actually rather enjoyed the puzzle specifically referenced in the video, which I very rarely see pointed out was from The Secret of Monkey Island 2. To find a cave hidden behind a waterfall, Guybrush Threepwood (a name with a history of its own) has to turn off the pump supplying the water, and his tool of choice is a hypnotized monkey. It's not quite as great a leap of logic as it may seem, because of course one would use a monkey wrench to turn a bolt.

Also, these are all puzzles from Sierra games that people are talking about, when the aesthetic is clearly Lucasarts-inspired. Lucasarts liked to keep their interaction menu (icons or words) out in the open and hide it during cutscenes, while Sierra went from a text parser to icons hidden in a menu, to eliminating the icons entirely and just using a single left click for everything.

Or am I just standing on a porch, yelling at those darn kids to get off my lawn and stop pulling masks off criminals? Speaking of which, one of the most fascinating things about watching people play this part of the program is seeing people get very confused about how to refill the cone with snow. Most of them aren't old enough to have seen proper TV static - it's a black screen with "NO SIGNAL" now. And Game has the courtesy to point out that the rotary phone feels like a relic from the distant past, when that, too, was a very real thing that had to be phased out when automated phone menus came along and every commercial was reminding people to use a "touch-tone phone" when they called, because the rotary pulse dial signals wouldn't work. The telettrophone story is also a pretty fascinating read, and almost entirely not a joke made up for the setting.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I was wondering how obvious the rotary dial controls in this non-game are. If you've never seen one in your life, would you be able to figure out how the phone works?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nidoking posted:

The telettrophone story is also a pretty fascinating read, and almost entirely not a joke made up for the setting.

...huh. And here I was thinking Meucci was just made up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah I was wondering how obvious the rotary dial controls in this non-game are. If you've never seen one in your life, would you be able to figure out how the phone works?

Eh, I remember getting a toy-version as a kid, and solving the puzzle of the rotary phone pretty drat fast. It's not that hard if you just start experimenting. Still, phones with actual keys are a lot easier to use. Especially phone numbers with lots of 0s and high digits could take some time to dial. (I was quietly glad when my mother threw her old phone away and replaced it with a normal key phone.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Obviously people don't use that style of phone any more, but they're still in plenty of old movies and TV shows, I don't know how many players there can really be who have never seen one anywhere. (Don't tell me. I feel old enough as it is. Let me have this.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NGDBSS posted:

Obviously they wouldn't be a problem here. This isn't a game!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

It's a new dimension for us to explore! Will this one contain a game?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh my.

Funny how 'GiGi' sounds like 'GG'.

I have a decent guess as to what's coming, too...

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, this section. I think this is the part of the non-game I found most frustrating. I wish the did more with the mechanics they introduced in this chapter, and I overall found these puzzles more frustrating than the ones in the other chapters, for whatever reason. Still good, just a little rough.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This non-game owns, I'm glad more people will get to see it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Roxors posted:

Yeah, this section. I think this is the part of the non-game I found most frustrating. I wish the did more with the mechanics they introduced in this chapter, and I overall found these puzzles more frustrating than the ones in the other chapters, for whatever reason. Still good, just a little rough.

Yeah, definitely agreed. The puzzle with having to make the guardian big so he can break the interface, and the one with having to get the hero to bring the bomb over are quite fiddly and a bit annoying. I don't know if the hint system helps with those, since I don't look at the system in this LP (since, well, I don't exactly need hints now that I know all the solutions).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I had to peek at the hints a few times and it's pretty variable. Sometimes the first clue is enough, and other times I still needed a walkthrough after seeing all the hints.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
The map actually continues to update after it's been pulled out of the interface and used as a bridge. That's a nice detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Mr. Glitch made some changes to this game... and based on what we saw at the end of the last episode, I don't think it's going to be good.