Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

babby is going swimming at the weekend so gently caress knows what sort of disgusting disease I'm gonna get from taking her to that

actually poo poo I just realised I might not be able to take her because the bottom of my big toe literally cracked open on Sunday and that's probably not the sort of thing you're supposed to get in a pool with.. Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ugh. a bunch of my oldest son’s friends are getting into cub scouts and he’s interested too. he’s told me a few times though that he doesn’t believe in god (neither do me or my wife, but we’ve tried not to overtly influence him). i don’t have an issue with scouting in general but they still recite that drat oath about doing duty to god and country (which i also don’t like). I’ll probably leave the choice up to him but i have to forewarn him about what will be expected of him.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

ugh. a bunch of my oldest son’s friends are getting into cub scouts and he’s interested too. he’s told me a few times though that he doesn’t believe in god (neither do me or my wife, but we’ve tried not to overtly influence him). i don’t have an issue with scouting in general but they still recite that drat oath about doing duty to god and country (which i also don’t like). I’ll probably leave the choice up to him but i have to forewarn him about what will be expected of him.

yeah they're explicitly christian, you won't really get as much out of it if you're not on board with ol' Diamond J. my understanding is that they've leaned more into it in recent years too, with more prayer breakfasts and whatnot

same thing with the masons btw

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

ugh. a bunch of my oldest son’s friends are getting into cub scouts and he’s interested too

there were nature programs for every season for a bunch of age groups where i grew up, anything like that offered there ?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my approach to religion is to treat it like just another weird thing some people do like veganism or cosplay

"oh they pray before they do a thing? haha wild."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hokey religions and ancient forums are no match for a good blaster at your side

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

How religious the scouts are depends a lot on your country/chapter I think. When I was in them there was basically nothing meaningful, I think we went to a high protestant service once which was cool because they had incense burners and sang stuff in weird voices

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I mean I had to sing hymns every day at school and go on trips to church like 5 times a year because that's what you did and because there was zero reinforcement of that from my parents it was never more than "that thing you have to do".

Then when I was older I was like "hey, what was all that poo poo do people actually believe this lol?"

I'd be more worried about them being an edgelord atheist tbh

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

President Beep posted:

i think with cubs the good outweighs the weird pushy religion stuff, at least around here.
my school forced us into religion classes and I decided I was some branch of christianity after one. my parents were like 'ok cool' and didn't make a big deal out of it and then I immediately forgot because of my child brain

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
even as a non-religious person I appreciate some of my religious upbringing for giving me background and context into the lives of a large group of people I would otherwise not have

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
good rule of thumb seems to be don't let your personal religion get in the way of stuff your kids want to do

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’m not. he’s told me himself that he doesn’t believe in god, and I’ve taken pains to make it clear to him that that’s his decision only. having to utter an oath attesting belief in and servitude to god rubs me the wrong way. I’d feel the same if he was asked to publicly renounce religion.

I’m also concerned about how it’d be received there if he shares his true personal feelings about faith. as others have pointed out, a lot depends on the individual group, but i know organizationally there are zealots in scouting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ll probably end up contacting whoever runs the local group to ask them about how they conduct things and what their general take is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
that should do it, if they're an insane cult that's just trying to indoctrinate your kid instead of teaching them how to tie knots or whatever i think they have to tell you if you ask

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

stringent is a threadshitting talking penis!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

graph posted:

there were nature programs for every season for a bunch of age groups where i grew up, anything like that offered there ?

there could be, but one draw here is that a bunch of his friends are doing it too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

President Beep posted:

stringent is a threadshitting talking penis!

why are you doing the yoda voice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

my homie dhall posted:

even as a non-religious person I appreciate some of my religious upbringing for giving me background and context into the lives of a large group of people I would otherwise not have
"appreciate" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here but :hmmyes:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

my wife is 7 weeks pregnant

have to figure out how to raise this kid to not end up a yosposter

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

lament.cfg posted:

they're right in the middle of the jock/nerd parts of the year so i think it could go either way

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Don't worry, this forum's patreon will have dried up by the time he's typing.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

there could be, but one draw here is that a bunch of his friends are doing it too.

i meant convince the pals to switch

the nature programs where i grew up were like, loads better than any cub or boy scout poo poo by a good margin

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

get them on a good linux early (debian) and buy them 3 cats and some meat smoking equipment

can't go wrong

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

lament.cfg posted:

my kids first computer was a linux machine to play minecraft on and now he's a jock so

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lament.cfg posted:

congrats

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was once chatting to this early 20s metal head dude about ten years ago and he was lamenting about how basically everyone is a nerd these days, even jocks etc have phones and facebooks.

i’m
jealous of his simple thrash metal life

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

he's right

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

lament.cfg posted:

congrats! is it your first?

protip from somebody who's been on the other side - don't tell anybody until like 12 weeks or so, to be sure that the baby is definitely cooking (and doesn't have Downs or something)

my wife's due in Sept with our second kid. Before that though, we had a couple of week-8/week-10 miscarriages where the fetus didn't implant for whatever reason. It happens, not the end of the world - but we made the mistake of getting everybody spun up and then we had to tell them.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 7, 2021

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

lament.cfg posted:

As for how to not raise a yosposter, idk - my first kid's 18 months old and I feel pretty good if he goes through a meal without dumping his drink all over his food.

This is a spicy take, but you might consider doing a church thing with your kid for a few years. Even if you're not super into it and you all eventually lapse, the morals are good for a child to learn. Also the community can benefit you a lot as a new parent, if you find one with a bunch of other parents.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 7, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don’t forget tho that the most important thing and also hardest thing to do is that you have to transform into the morally admirable person because you’re their number one role model and all the telling a kid what to do in the world doesn’t mean poo poo because they’ll turn out just like you pretty much.

parenting babies and toddlers and kids up till about the age of 6-7 is easy because while it’s physically hard and exhausting it’s mostly about keeping them alive but it slowly changes and you actually have to start to be a great person if you want them to be.

that’s why you make sure they don’t find out how degenerate you are until they’re past those formative years

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

This is a spicy take, but you might consider doing a church thing with your kid for a few years. Even if you're not super into it and you all eventually lapse, the morals are good for a child to learn.
ffffffffuck that. Literally no one in any (white) church-like org has ever been morals-motivated.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Poopernickel posted:

This is a spicy take, but you might consider doing a church thing with your kid for a few years. Even if you're not super into it and you all eventually lapse, the morals are good for a child to learn. Also the community can benefit you a lot as a new parent, if you find one with a bunch of other parents.
this depends on the church and how "into" it you have to (and can) be in order to tell if it's going to do more harm than good. not recommended to just outsource all moral education on any questionable institution if you're not monitoring for quality

echinopsis posted:

don’t forget tho that the most important thing and also hardest thing to do is that you have to transform into the morally admirable person because you’re their number one role model and all the telling a kid what to do in the world doesn’t mean poo poo because they’ll turn out just like you pretty much.
it's this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

ffffffffuck that. Literally no one in any (white) church-like org has ever been morals-motivated.
i mean this is a way more reliable shortcut than "church will figure out my kid's moral education for me"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lmao at the thought of needing religion to teach morals. gently caress!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the geezer at church told me about some dude a long time ago that said “don’t kill” and i was like how am i just now hearing this!!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my understanding as someone who was not raised religious is that for a religio it can be difficult to conceive of a morality that is not based off some rulebook with the threat of eternal damnation as a consequence of loving up

i guess id describe myself as a secular humanist. and the golden rule plus empathy, curiousity, and kindness are enough for me to base a moral philosophy around

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

not me, bruv. burned down an orphanage earlier because i stopped going to youth group before they told us the important bits. wish i knew what to do. :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

the geezer at church told me about some dude a long time ago that said “don’t kill” and i was like how am i just now hearing this!!

President Beep posted:

not me, bruv. burned down an orphanage earlier because i stopped going to youth group before they told us the important bits. wish i knew what to do. :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the fun thing about ethics/morality is that if you think you have an absolute code that makes things easier all the time, you're doing it wrong. there should always be tension in evaluating the rightness/wrongness of action. if there isn't it means your code is stagnant and not reacting to a changing world with changing problems and issues

it is possible for a churcho-based ethical code to manifest that consistent and complete tension, but it's generally going to be as a result of imperfect personal compliance and guilt/doubt rather than by design. any org will want to have a safe chill zone of at least "but you can always trust [X], which we represent" and that's where the trouble always starts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

the fun thing about ethics/morality is that if you think you have an absolute code that makes things easier all the time, you're doing it wrong. there should always be tension in evaluating the rightness/wrongness of action. if there isn't it means your code is stagnant and not reacting to a changing world with changing problems and issues

it is possible for a churcho-based ethical code to manifest that consistent and complete tension, but it's generally going to be as a result of imperfect personal compliance and guilt/doubt rather than by design. any org will want to have a safe chill zone of at least "but you can always trust [X], which we represent" and that's where the trouble always starts

big dune vibes, and i mean that in a good way