Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like it’s definitely a class thing. The history of cuisine is full of poor people of every nation making due with scraps and using ingenuity to turn those scraps into delicious food. Then the rich people come along, co-opt those recipes (usually poorly) and make the scraps trendy so that the poor people can’t afford them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I feel like white people are kinda smeared sometimes on the whole not being able to prepare food thing. It's not everyone, it's like post-war mid-westerners and the English. Spain makes good food, Italy of course, most definitely France knows what the gently caress they're doing, even the humble Germans have some fine fare. Scandinavians maybe not so so much, and the English grabbed all their best numbers abroad. But really what's to blame for most of it is the post-war industrial economy and the boomers' wholesale adoption of it long beyond its sell-by.

Yeah, it's more that Yankees can't prepare food.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I feel like it’s definitely a class thing. The history of cuisine is full of poor people of every nation making due with scraps and using ingenuity to turn those scraps into delicious food. Then the rich people come along, co-opt those recipes (usually poorly) and make the scraps trendy so that the poor people can’t afford them anymore.

See: brisket, flank steaks. They used to be cheap, but with smoked brisket and fajitas becoming widespread, they're now some of the more expensive cuts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phylodox posted:

That happened with Quinoa.

Decades of it being a cheap staple, suddenly its a Western superfood and now it's all being exported for sale.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pentyne posted:

That happened with Quinoa.

Decades of it being a cheap staple, suddenly its a Western superfood and now it's all being exported for sale.

And kale. And, hell, lobster used to be peasant food.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Haifisch posted:

I know it's a joke but it's wild to think of just how recently people casually ate, drank and smoked in labs(medical or otherwise). Now we're required to have biohazard and NO FOOD OR DRINK stickers on all our fridges outside the breakroom.

Do we still have the trope of gross morgue workers?

Two things I can't place is a guy with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich saying "Oh I got blood on me, oh no thats jelly. Wait no it's blood." And another person eating a meatball ssub over an open corpse and dropping a meatball in.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, it's more that Yankees can't prepare food.

I will make you molasses cookies that will make you weep with joy thank you.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kale is mega easy to grow and you don't have a heckuva lot of excuse if you've got a m2 or so of sunny dirt to spare.

And TBH lobster isn't so so great I feel like that's just marketing hype. Shrimp too. Crab tho, that's pretty good stuff.

e:

Mooseontheloose posted:

I will make you molasses cookies that will make you weep with joy thank you.

See , that's those Pennsylvania Dutch Germans. Add a century and a few degrees of longitude and it's all gone.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

MariusLecter posted:

Two things I can't place is a guy with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich saying "Oh I got blood on me, oh no thats jelly. Wait no it's blood." And another person eating a meatball ssub over an open corpse and dropping a meatball in.

The TV show Psych did this with their medical examiner but I can't recall seeing it in anything since that.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

MariusLecter posted:

quote:

I know it's a joke but it's wild to think of just how recently people casually ate, drank and smoked in labs(medical or otherwise). Now we're required to have biohazard and NO FOOD OR DRINK stickers on all our fridges outside the breakroom.

I'm reminded of Scully eating pizza and fried chicken while examining human and/or alien remains

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

And TBH lobster isn't so so great I feel like that's just marketing hype. Shrimp too. Crab tho, that's pretty good stuff.
Lobster is real good, but yeah it's not worth the price it demands at all.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Shrimp are delicious but impossible to take seriously ever since the whole small pastry incident

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mind the walrus posted:

Lobster is real good, but yeah it's not worth the price it demands at all.

The stuff you put on lobster is real good, the garlic butter and what not.

Like I love crab cakes but that's the garlic, butter and other spices doing most of the work.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I do kinda want to say maybe crawfish have joined that group of poor folk food that got expensive?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ReidRansom posted:

I feel like white people are kinda smeared sometimes on the whole not being able to prepare food thing. It's not everyone, it's like post-war mid-westerners and the English. Spain makes good food, Italy of course, most definitely France knows what the gently caress they're doing, even the humble Germans have some fine fare. Scandinavians maybe not so so much, and the English grabbed all their best numbers abroad. But really what's to blame for most of it is the post-war industrial economy and the boomers' wholesale adoption of it long beyond its sell-by.

there's certainly a regional element, breadbasket areas from around the world definitely know how to prepare food, what with being able to grow a good quantity of a wide variety while having generations to perfect recipes certainly makes for fine family cooking (plus the age of discovery ultimately spreading about the best crops), but the further you go from those areas, the weirder it gets

my family, for e.g., comes from waaaaaay up north where nothing grows, everything's bleak as hell and it was surely only thanks to arrogance or stupidity that man ever ventured that far into the wastes, our traditional foods are objectively poo poo because they are definitionally all struggle foods prepared under the direst of circumstances, altho globalism has at least ensured that modern kids have it better, so i could see how someone's italian nana could easily outcook mine even if mine could still, nonetheless, feed a family of six after foraging in the barren expanse a few hours

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Most crustacean and other fun stuff like escargot are really just a garlic butter delivery mechanism. Garlic butter is the poo poo so any excuse is a good excuse.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Casnorf posted:

Most crustacean and other fun stuff like escargot are really just a garlic butter delivery mechanism. Garlic butter is the poo poo so any excuse is a good excuse.

The main reason French food is the best food in the world

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're not wrong but I mean, the mechanism of delivery matters. Seafood + Garlic Butter is a good taste. Chicken + Garlic Butter is a good taste. Dough + Garlic Butter is a good taste. But you wouldn't confuse 'em.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hey man, some mollusks like oysters are excellent straight from nature. You haven't lived until you've eaten one pulled straight off whatever surface it was clinging to.

hard counter posted:

there's certainly a regional element, breadbasket areas from around the world definitely know how to prepare food, what with being able to grow a good quantity of a wide variety while having generations to perfect recipes certainly makes for fine family cooking (plus the age of discovery ultimately spreading about the best crops), but the further you go from those areas, the weirder it gets

my family, for e.g., comes from waaaaaay up north where nothing grows, everything's bleak as hell and it was surely only thanks to arrogance or stupidity that man ever ventured that far into the wastes, our traditional foods are objectively poo poo because they are definitionally all struggle foods prepared under the direst of circumstances, altho globalism has at least ensured that modern kids have it better, so i could see how someone's italian nana could easily outcook mine even if mine could still, nonetheless, feed a family of six after foraging in the barren expanse a few hours

Iceland?

I love the place, but the native cuisine is nothing to write home about in a positive sense.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

The stuff you put on lobster is real good, the garlic butter and what not.

Like I love crab cakes but that's the garlic, butter and other spices doing most of the work.

Can confirm. I'm a vegetarian and found a recipe that uses artichoke hearts instead of crab, and it's near identical. Like in a taste test you could probably figure out which one was which, but you'd have to think about it for a second.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Can confirm. I'm a vegetarian and found a recipe that uses artichoke hearts instead of crab, and it's near identical. Like in a taste test you could probably figure out which one was which, but you'd have to think about it for a second.

Mind sharing? I wanna try that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I recall vividly taking a family vacation down to Disney World as a kid, and driving through South Carolina, we stopped for dinner, and over my parents' warnings, I ordered steamed shrimp. I got the grossest, tasteless, rubbery boiled shrimp of my life and I've never been able to take "southern cuisine" seriously again.

On topic: There's been a slew of shows that are ME-based or ME-adjacent and let me tell you, the ones on Crossing Jordan, NCIS, iZombie, and Rizzoli and Isles are all TV-Weird, but certainly not punchline weird and gross, and often quite reasonably social.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

e:

See , that's those Pennsylvania Dutch Germans. Add a century and a few degrees of longitude and it's all gone.

The process for lobster as an individual is a lot of work to get to good bits but a well prepared lobster roll...heavenly.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

hawowanlawow posted:

The main reason French food is the best food in the world

They made the Duck Press.

You take a whole cooked duck, press the juices out, all the fat, umami salty greasy goodness, even the bones crunch open releasing the marrow stew and then you pour that over some more cooked meats.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Phylodox posted:

And kale. And, hell, lobster used to be peasant food.

Yeah, lobster cracks me up because I remember reading about how it used to be fed to inmates and they were claiming human rights violations over it.

But yeah, then enough assholes with money realized it's amazing with butter garlic and lemon and now it's only for rich people and the mythical welfare queens who exist in Republican's heads.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

the_steve posted:

Yeah, lobster cracks me up because I remember reading about how it used to be fed to inmates and they were claiming human rights violations over it.

But yeah, then enough assholes with money realized it's amazing with butter garlic and lemon and now it's only for rich people and the mythical welfare queens who exist in Republican's heads.

This is because how it was prepared, served and stored.

You just toss in a bunch of lobsters in a giant pot, mashemup whole and serve guts, shell fragments and all. And then whats left not kept at safe temperatures at all for next meal time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

They made the Duck Press.

You take a whole cooked duck, press the juices out, all the fat, umami salty greasy goodness, even the bones crunch open releasing the marrow stew and then you pour that over some more cooked meats.

This isn't as unwholesome as Ortalan, cuz at least the duck is already dead, but still doesn't disprove the notion the French are decadent ghouls

the_steve posted:

It's definitely better when it's not unrefridgerated and just ground into a slurry shell and all, yes

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I hated steak too because it was always too greasy and surrounded by fat and tasted BLAH. Then I discovered filet mignon and I'm a fan! It's great tasting with no grease and no fat and it's actually not expensive. My brother even gave me a method of cooking it that gets it fully cooked without overcooking so there's no blood. I probably would never order it in a restaurant, between the pricing and the cooking and the fact that I prefer chicken, but once cooking a couple nice little filets at home once a month or so is great.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My dad is also a boot-leather steak lover.
First time I ever had a medium rare steak, my mind was blown.

I joke now that since my dad and I are both Steve, the best way to tell us apart is to look at our steaks. I want to be able to bring mine back with a shock paddle, he wants his poured out of an urn.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I want you to tell my steak a story about someone who once got sunburned.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Really the past 20-25 years in Western cuisine have been spent digging us out of the hole created by the previous 50; echoes of the Depression followed by post-war recovery did a hell of a number on our parents and grandparents' tastes, I think.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Laterite posted:

Really the past 20-25 years in Western cuisine have been spent digging us out of the hole created by the previous 50; echoes of the Depression followed by post-war recovery did a hell of a number on our parents and grandparents' tastes, I think.

I'm a bit of a picky eater, and my grandmother refuses to believe that I like spicy food. It's like she sees that I don't like a lot of the things she likes and can't quite grasp how I could then like things that are much more flavorful.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Laterite posted:

Combined with the media demonizing flavor enhancers, seemingly at random, for the past 30+ years. DON'T USE BUTTER. OR FAT IN GENERAL. OR SUGAR. OR EGGS. OR SALT. OR MSG. OR DAIRY. OR MEAT. ENJOY SOYLENT, CITIZEN.

My dad just called the other day to say his meal prep service's recipe included adding a TBSP of butter to a sauce, and he was blown the gently caress away at how good that made it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember the Fat-Free craze. It's actually interesting to rewatch 90s shows and see everyone super concerned about their fat intake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Remember olestra chips?

I vaguely remember these. They were supposed to be fat free and taste identical to regular chips. The only downside is the explosive bloody diarrhea.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Detective No. 27 posted:

Remember olestra chips?

I vaguely remember these. They were supposed to be fat free and taste identical to regular chips. The only downside is the explosive bloody diarrhea.

You know you're in for a culinary experience when your food has a warning label with the phrase "anal leakage/seepage" (if you click, you'll know why I used spoiler tags)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was just about to ask if those were those chips and yeeeeeeeep, they sure were

my grandparents still love mushy peas and as someone that grows them and eats them fresh off the shoot I do not understand what the appeal is for mushy anything

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

This is because how it was prepared, served and stored.

You just toss in a bunch of lobsters in a giant pot, mashemup whole and serve guts, shell fragments and all. And then whats left not kept at safe temperatures at all for next meal time.

The whole "prisoners ate lobsters" is one of most pervasive food myths I can think of. There's really no source for it beyond marketing ad campaigns from the 50s.

Also, almost all lobster is either frozen, then cooked, or cooked right after being killed. Imagine in the time before fridges and freezers just how gross those lobsters would be sitting on a truck for a day or two before being dropped off at a prison.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Laterite posted:

The entirety of human history pretty much showed that cooking food for longer resulted in less random deaths. Those 50 years also contained massive increases in the understanding of food borne pathogens and hygiene. Additionally a much wider communication of ingredients and cooking methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aces High posted:

I was just about to ask if those were those chips and yeeeeeeeep, they sure were

my grandparents still love mushy peas and as someone that grows them and eats them fresh off the shoot I do not understand what the appeal is for mushy anything

Mushy peas are great in only one circumstance: accompanying the traditional fish supper. At no other time will they sully my tongue.