Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

forkknight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stringent posted:

forkknight

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:confused:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
close but that’s more of a spatula

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I slept on a too hard pillow a couple of nights ago and my neck hurts since :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you idiot! that was a phone book!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i just have debit cards now since in nz everyone wants eftpos anyway and the credit cards all kinda suck

:rip: my old 2% cashback card with 0% intl fees

In the US you aren't protected by law against being liable for fraudulent charges on a debit card. I had my wallet stolen and charges ran up on a debit card about twelve years ago and I've avoided them like the plague ever since.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

some banks are still good about it, though. i had my debit card stolen and $3k charged on it that usaa refunded.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In the US you aren't protected by law against being liable for fraudulent charges on a debit card. I had my wallet stolen and charges ran up on a debit card about twelve years ago and I've avoided them like the plague ever since.

Apparently you are legally liable for $50 in the case of credit cards too but banks typically it.

The biggest problem would be if you didn't notice the card was stolen but since ATM cards typically work as debit cards I'm not sure you can realistically avoid having a debit card entirely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

Apparently you are legally liable for $50 in the case of credit cards too but banks typically it.

The biggest problem would be if you didn't notice the card was stolen but since ATM cards typically work as debit cards I'm not sure you can realistically avoid having a debit card entirely.

the last time i was in the states it was still possible to get an atm only card; in fact, they can usually just give them out at the branch since it doesn't require a credit card style number or name imprinted on it.

if you use an internet-only bank, or something, though, it might be harder to manage.

there's probably an option to sever the debit features of some of these cards that nobody takes advantage of but i don't know.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

remember when hellgate london's billing system freaked out and a bunch of nerds bounced their rent checks?

I pretty much use only cash or my credit card since if anything crime-ey happens you have 30 days to deal with it. plus miles!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here we have a thing they call "pay wave" where you just put your card (or phone or whatever) by the terminal and the transaction just works. doesnt require a pin until like $120 or someting

I believe that visa are liable if someone steals ya card and just goes and does this.

the amoutn of old people who go to swipe their card and accidentally just pay for whatever, and then are shocked when I say " its gone through" lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Stringent posted:

forkknight

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

you are like a child

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nice piece and board set, idiot

try this on for size

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is a good watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpXy041BIlA

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

here we have a thing they call "pay wave" where you just put your card (or phone or whatever) by the terminal and the transaction just works. doesnt require a pin until like $120 or someting

I believe that visa are liable if someone steals ya card and just goes and does this.

the amoutn of old people who go to swipe their card and accidentally just pay for whatever, and then are shocked when I say " its gone through" lol

we just call that "tap" in canada. when covid started the banks upped the limit to $200 here which is perfect for me, i barely ever have to put in a pin now

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

when covid started the banks upped the limit to $200 here

what

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

discouraging cash at the onset last year was probably a smart move. i didnt touch paper or coin money until like, january 2021. i realize this is has class implications but we had a dude that wanted to provide universal banking via usps and he got caesar'd in the primaries

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I used to use cash far more than plastic, until poo poo locked down. I think I've used cash for two craigslist transactions in the past year.

mystes
May 31, 2006

People didn't want to touch stuff.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha gently caress i just remembered the Coin Shortage

how loving weird was that

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

Not under most circumstances—Visa and Mastercard are the interchange network. They link up the issuer (your account) to the acquirer (the merchant's account) so they have very little exposure comparably, unlike Amex or Discover which do the bulk of their volume through institutions they own.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just meant the banking global elite in general

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oh yikes there's gotta be a better phrasing than that echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you'd think so

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mystes posted:

People didn't want to touch stuff.

yeah, I meant I've been putting my pin in for $101 purchases like a sucker this whole time

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

haha gently caress i just remembered the Coin Shortage

how loving weird was that

pretty sure they had a sign saying it was still a problem when i was at mcdonald's last week (who knows how hard they keep those up-to-date, though :shrug:)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Truman Peyote posted:

yeah, I meant I've been putting my pin in for $101 purchases like a sucker this whole time

i just checked and it's actually $250 now. not sure if this will be rolled back at some point though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

I just meant the banking global elite in general

why would you say this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poes law is a hell of a drug

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Echopenised again!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echi, just what do you think that term actually means?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

echi, just what do you think that term actually means?

mystes
May 31, 2006

He just meant credit card issuers. You know, not anything offensive, just the ones trying to replace the superior white race and who have those space lasers.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

mystes posted:

He just meant credit card issuers. You know, not anything offensive, just the ones trying to replace the superior white race and who have those space lasers.

They're just so cosmopolitan. Globalist, really.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Big on protocols, too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

more like superior weight race

mystes
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

more like superior weight race
This is a Wendy's. There aren't any weight races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

on the subject in general, it absolutely blows my mind that antisemitism is still a thing. what’s next, we start going after the left-handed too?