Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I had to wash some chickie butts yesterday and she charged at me. She’s the best mom :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Adorable

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
:swoon: large marge

also :swoon: comet's variegated toes

:swoon: the birds :swoon:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Large Marge is the best mama hen.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I cannot get enough of Large Marge

a hero

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We had a small disaster today, two chicks died. :qq:

One looked a bit smooshed, probably got too much underfoot, the other was under the heat plate. It was cold today and the heat plate isn’t too warm so maybe it got chilled. I stuck a big oil heater in the coop so that should help things, I hope.

Here’s Large Marge with many extra feet.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i am in awe of the largest marge

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

also my copy of that quail, robert has just arrived and it is enthralling :kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:) yay large marge and yay bird books

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

that quail, scrubtit

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Watch out babies, Mama is scratching!
https://youtu.be/MeQ_qI_PMfY

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My new job is courier work and today a rooster screamed at me for trespassing.

Fortunately for me, he and his girlfriends were penned up.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

you'd think that i of all people would be prepared, but no: the end of that quail, robert made me cry

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the birds :qq:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

perepelki posted:

you'd think that i of all people would be prepared, but no: the end of that quail, robert made me cry

you just reminding me of it made me instantly tear up a bit

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Enfys posted:

you just reminding me of it made me instantly tear up a bit
it reaffirmed my belief that a quail passing of old age is a spiritual event

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

although a quail getting taken by kookaburras is also a spiritual event i guess (my sundae :smith:)

these little round things!!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Can anyone recommend some nice reusable egg cartone that can accommodate moA couple of my girls are prodiucing really big eggs and large egg cartons as well as my plastic ones from Wilco can't close around them...

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Can anyone recommend some nice reusable egg cartone that can accommodate moA couple of my girls are prodiucing really big eggs and large egg cartons as well as my plastic ones from Wilco can't close around them...

These two-piece cartons can hold big eggs. (My hens eggs are often too small for this carton and are hard to get out.)
https://etsy.me/387ikBe

Otherwise you might search for a Jumbo egg carton.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Pricing out egg containers, even by the pallet, led me down a spiral of quick math trying to figure out how in the hell I can buy eggs for $1.80 at the grocery store and the answers are going to have me try being vegetarian again, because holy poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Joburg posted:

These two-piece cartons can hold big eggs. (My hens eggs are often too small for this carton and are hard to get out.)
https://etsy.me/387ikBe

Otherwise you might search for a Jumbo egg carton.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately those are all sold out, and my previous searches seem to only come up with disposable cartons in Jumbo size. There are a few on Amazon that are supposed to be big, but I an trying to avoid Amazon where I can and also all of those sellers seem sketchy and the products have reviews saying the plastic is kind of crappy. I may just have to continue keeping the large eggs in a separate bowl in the fridge and cooking them first. I do live in Portland so maybe i will find a hippie0-run feed store somewhere that will have them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

therobit posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately those are all sold out, and my previous searches seem to only come up with disposable cartons in Jumbo size. There are a few on Amazon that are supposed to be big, but I an trying to avoid Amazon where I can and also all of those sellers seem sketchy and the products have reviews saying the plastic is kind of crappy. I may just have to continue keeping the large eggs in a separate bowl in the fridge and cooking them first. I do live in Portland so maybe i will find a hippie0-run feed store somewhere that will have them.

fwiw you don't need to refrigerate the eggs (until you wash them pretty thoroughly) for 2 weeks or so

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I got some wooden egg holders that are big enough to hold jumbo eggs at a poultry fair awhile back, so if you know someone who likes woodworking...

They're pretty and easy to clean.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1390793059290464256

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

That Works posted:

fwiw you don't need to refrigerate the eggs (until you wash them pretty thoroughly) for 2 weeks or so

Yeah, and in the winter that would be OK, but ever since I my 2 Novagens started really laying in February, the flock is out-producing us. I am using about 2 dozen eggs a week and giving away another dozen, and for some reason we always have 4 dozen eggs lying around. I only have 5 hens. I probably need to stop buying meat at the grocery store for a while and just eat more eggs.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

oh my.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately those are all sold out

It let me add them to my cart. Are you sure they are sold out?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i once accidentally bought 120 egg cartons at a farm auction for a dollar

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Joburg posted:

It let me add them to my cart. Are you sure they are sold out?

Yeah, it let me add them, but when I went to check out it said one or more of the irems I selected was sold out, and wanted to ring up for $0.00. :(

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Dang. I didn’t go through the checkout process because with don’t need another embarrassing egg carton. (My mom lives with me & my husband, for Xmas my sister bought me the “Just Got Laid” carton... thanks, sis.)

If you have a Costco shopper in your family you could ask for one of their cage free eighteen egg cartons. I have some I got off eBay and they are pretty spacious.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

stealie72 posted:

Pricing out egg containers, even by the pallet, led me down a spiral of quick math trying to figure out how in the hell I can buy eggs for $1.80 at the grocery store and the answers are going to have me try being vegetarian again, because holy poo poo.

$1.80 is way, way, way up in price. They were like 80 cents for twelve here not that long ago.

$5 a carton is a much more appropriate price.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

pictured: my quail graveyard, a place of peace and serenity. also pictured, the guardian jackal

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that is a good dog

i am joining the chicken mom ranks again - look who i brought home today!

https://i.imgur.com/2lhNZNZ.mp4

they are mixed cochin banties and i am in looove

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

he's a splendid dog. he grew up chasing quail in the wilderness, but trained himself not to hurt the domesticated ones almost totally without incident. sometimes they fly straight into his face and all he does is quiver furiously

City of Glompton posted:

look at those painted puffs!! :neckbeard: i love them too

perepelki fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 10, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

City of Glompton posted:

that is a good dog

i am joining the chicken mom ranks again - look who i brought home today!

https://i.imgur.com/2lhNZNZ.mp4

You wanna know what I'd do with all those chics in my house?

Stare. I'd stare at 'em all day. :stare: :respek: :kimchi:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

So cute!

Also I bought some gigantic chicks from the feed store. Probably all roosters, so no one would buy them and they’d been there for many weeks. They are pretty traumatized so they are house chickens for a few more days. After the rain/snow :cry: stops on Wednesday they will get a heated coop to themselves until they grow in their feathers. Poor dudes.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Eeeee, all those chicks! :love:

Captain Log posted:

You wanna know what I'd do with all those chics in my house?

Stare. I'd stare at 'em all day. :stare: :respek: :kimchi:

My people. :respek:

Not to be left out, our Cheddar has gone partially broody over the last few days. I say partially because she's more confused at the involuntary intermittent clucks than aggressive, and allows me to push her out of the nest (and shut the door to their house during the day) without retaliation.

She obviously didn't get the memo that hybrids like her shouldn't go broody (she's a Hyline). As always, chickens do as chickens do.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We just did our 3rd batch of chicks but this time we hatched eggs under a broody hen. 100% will go this way in the future. The chicks are much quieter and better behaved. They haven't once knocked over their food or waterers in 4 days so far. Ill have pics sometime soon to share.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We've got our first poultry ordered. Got 10 Silver Appleyards coming on June 7th. We cleaned out the coop yesterday and will be building a duck tractor as well. The coop has a 10' X 10' chain link fence, 6' tall. It's buried ~6" into the ground. I'll also be adding wiring on the top to protect from raptors. Not sure we're comfortable letting them roam, I know we have owls, fox, coyotes, and wolves.

Any starting tips, advice, or ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

broody hens are the greatest technology in existence. we had to achieve a certain level of scientific progress as a species for it to really be clear that we can never engineer a machine more effective than the noble hen.
do you see how moose's feathers are perfectly smoothed over scrubtit for maximum coverage? she did that herself, fastidiously, with her beak. because she loves that chick. she is determined to protect him, even though he is in constant terrible danger due to being a quail, and to keep him warm. the chix are fully grown now and still she snuggles with them every night

perepelki fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 11, 2021