Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Corpsemom appears to have inflated a couple of balloons and glued them to her chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ah, Biollante is involved.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lemony posted:

Corpsemom appears to have inflated a couple of balloons and glued them to her chest.

That means she’s in danger, I think.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking of boobs,

So much of this comic is Mookie patting himself on the back.
What's the name of that science fiction puppet show where one of the puppets is like this little guy who's supposed to be a prince from a planet that exploded or something, and his gimmick is that he farts a lot and whenever he farts it makes everyone's voice squeaky because he farts helium? The series' main antagonist is Skeletor in a gimp suit, at one point the heroes' space ship gets pregnant, and I'm pretty sure Claudia Black is in it. Anyway, one of the members of the crew is a plant woman. Who is just a woman with a bunch of coloured body paint.

The whole alien-is-just-a-human-with-a-coat-of-paint makes a certain amount of practical sense in something like a low-budget tv show because, you know, the people making the show have access to a lot of humans and no aliens and so they end up having to cut corners and make due. The reason I take the time to talk this through is because holy hell is plant dude's design lazy and it looks exactly like something that was designed to be on a low-budget tv show. It's just a dude in an outfit that looks like it could've come from a seasonal popup store selling Halloween costumes. Like it's a comic. Plant dude could look like literally anything. And here we have a splash page in which I assume we're supposed to be witnessing some awe-inspiring...something-or-other. And it actually looks like a bad special effect from a low-budget tv show where they're trying and failing to conceal the fact that their magical plant dude is a guy in a bad costume with a flower on his head.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea what is physically going on in this scene. It doesn't help that it makes no sense unless Corpsemom and Snout are very large and in windows behind the plant guy.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The show is Farscape and you will not badmouth it. :colbert:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Beelzebufo posted:

The show is Farscape and you will not badmouth it. :colbert:
It's easily my third or fourth favourite science fiction puppet show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even when it seems like something is happening you can't tell what it is so it may as well be nothing.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My favorite bad sci-fi TV show from that era was Lexx, where everything got immensely toned down in the second season where they had no budget, so the crew went to the darkest and most evil part of the dark evil universe, which is just Earth, so all the adventures got to happen on Earth instead of anywhere that cost money for puppets/CGI/scenery.

Anyway yeah this comic blows. I'm sure Mookie is racking up some deep meaning to the flower too, even though, as pointed out, it was just a flower the dying guy plucked where he lay.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait where did corpsemom's flower come from? Or is that the same flower Snout had but it bloomed and floated over to corpsemom's body for some reason?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Midnight Voyager posted:

I have no idea what is physically going on in this scene. It doesn't help that it makes no sense unless Corpsemom and Snout are very large and in windows behind the plant guy.

My read is that the flower is floating out of Snout's hands, blooming and then floating over to corpse.

My guess is that somehow the nameless dead dog-boy transferred his soul into the flower. This is clearly both possible and easy for some random mongrelman to do.

Then, Sunflower senses the soul inside the flower and is able to unlock it. He can do this, despite being just a herbalist not a necromancer or white mage or anything, because plants are involved and he is a plant. Everyone knows that you can magically do anything so long as it involves the thing you are made of.

Finally, flower goes to corpsemom and the dead guys soul will go into her and she won't be annoying or weird anymore. This plot, which has spanned several months, will be resolved completely by accident, with no achievement or awareness from any of the characters involved. Instead, the solution will literally fall out of a book and be implemented by a character who has existed for only like...five pages. No one will question who (or what) she is again and the entire plot will be completed with an even greater non-sequitor than it began.

EDIT: I'm also going to guess that this will resolve Snout's doubts about his self-worth, despite him doing absolutely nothing to contribute other than not throwing something away.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 6, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This, incidentally, is why all wizards are also butchers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!

GOD!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

people are doing things, it's just entirely inexplicable and disconnected from cause and effect, so it feels like nothing is happening

it's an amazing storytelling choice, now this is why mookie gets invited to panels

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
There's something like five other people in this scene, and even without dialogue, their reactions could help to provide some context for us. Does Sunflower do this all the time? Is this just how Bulu magic works? Are they excited? Alarmed? Frightened? Unfortunately for the reader, they've vanished into the white void.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Since this is a story without dialog we have to rely on reading body language. In this case, flower guy's body language here is either a) a mystic pose reminiscent of a Buddha doing a mudrā, or b) he's making the same gesture Homer uses when he says "that's a spicy meatball".

Now we just have to figure out what the spicy meatball mudrā represents.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just discovered this thread and the fact that there was more Deegan content at all, and I've caught up in the space of three days. The alternate void and madness of Legacy. The unpacking of Star Power. The review of Classic Deegan. Goddamn.

Justice for Beena.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How many people are even viewing the comic anymore?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Kavak posted:

How many people are even viewing the comic anymore?

How many posters are in this thread

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
What the actual gently caress is happening in this comic. I'm not sure how much longer I can withstand this.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mx. posted:

How many posters are in this thread

Plus one more Mookie.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potsticker posted:

Plus one more Mookie.

What if Mookie is one of the posters in this thread

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Who is outside shouting at me to end the comic? I will never end the comic, coward

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Catpetter1981 posted:

I hope he takes our good faith criticisms and implements them.

If the legacy ends with Snout finding his true love with Arudak, after a beautiful voyage of self-discovery, then Mookie will truly show us he has grown.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I simply cannot unsee panels 2 and 3 being fellatic

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...why did she eat that

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Mors Rattus posted:

...why did she eat that

Because I think I called it.

oriongates posted:

My guess is that somehow the nameless dead dog-boy transferred his soul into the flower. This is clearly both possible and easy for some random mongrelman to do.

Then, Sunflower senses the soul inside the flower and is able to unlock it. He can do this, despite being just a herbalist not a necromancer or white mage or anything, because plants are involved and he is a plant. Everyone knows that you can magically do anything so long as it involves the thing you are made of.

Finally, flower goes to corpsemom and the dead guys soul will go into her and she won't be annoying or weird anymore. This plot, which has spanned several months, will be resolved completely by accident, with no achievement or awareness from any of the characters involved. Instead, the solution will literally fall out of a book and be implemented by a character who has existed for only like...five pages. No one will question who (or what) she is again and the entire plot will be completed with an even greater non-sequitor than it began.

The bit at the end is so stupid. Why the hell would he dictate that? What purpose does it serve other than to communicate the fact to snout and the reader? Oh boy! The thing everyone in the room is instantly aware of and won't somehow forget. We must make a note of it! It's not even provided with useful context, something like "subject consumed a weird-rear end flower from some dog's book and now she can talk? What the gently caress is this?"

And why the gently caress would the assistant taking dictation not only cross out words, as though somehow the previous observations just ceased to be relevant, but would also write in EXTRA BIG FONT!! is part of his job also providing emotional context for the scientific research notes?

Also, why the gently caress would you cross out words that we can't loving read? What purpose does it serve?

EDIT: You know what Legacy reminds me of? A found footage movie.

Like, in found footage style movies and webseries where the writer has to figure out some clumsy excuse for people to keep recording, so everyone is reporters ("we must show the world") or occult investigators ("this is the proof we're looking for!"). That's what Legacy is doing with writing.

Mookie has cut off any kind of verbal communication as an option (and doesn't have the skills or patience to communicate through gesture and expression) but he's also removed any non-diagetic means of communication to the audience, so everyone has to be really obsessed with writing. Everything is in a book or on a magic page, people can and will pull pen and ink out of thin air and will write down every thought that passes through their head. Diaries are filled with page after page of inane details and things no one needs to reiterate except for the benefit of the unseen audience. And it's done so obviously and clumsily.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 7, 2021

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Oh, and it'll turn out that the title of this section "language barrier" is referring to corpsey all this time, and not to the fact that snout doesn't read orcish and you can bet that he thinks this is a clever subversion of expectations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Why the hell is the assistant apparently taking dictated notes on a loose page.

Also, and this is very nitpicky, but I don't think Mookie knows that people doing live transcribing generally don't write things out in full, it's way too slow to keep up with someone talking. There's a reason shorthand exists and used to be a valuable job skill in certain fields. Probably still is somewhere.

Actually, for that matter, odds are good that our main protagonist probably would have developed his own shorthand over the years. He was isolated and presumably wrote a lot. It wasn't unusual for people who did a lot of journal keeping to have their own shortened codes for things they commonly wrote regarding.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

He's even writing on the page without any backing...just holding up the paper in midair and somehow making it work. Is this his superpower?

Even worse, we've seen him with books containing empty pages...but the only time that's been used is for beard-orc to write an insulting note in it, rip it out and then hand it to snout.

So they use the book as a pad of disposable notes, and the random loose-leaf paper for organized, linear documentation.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why does he even feel the need to inform Snout of that in the first place, other than for the benefit of the reader?

Usually I'm pretty good at working out what Mookie is trying to convey, but these last few pages... I can't parse this poo poo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lemony posted:

Why the hell is the assistant apparently taking dictated notes on a loose page.

Also, and this is very nitpicky, but I don't think Mookie knows that people doing live transcribing generally don't write things out in full, it's way too slow to keep up with someone talking. There's a reason shorthand exists and used to be a valuable job skill in certain fields. Probably still is somewhere.

Actually, for that matter, odds are good that our main protagonist probably would have developed his own shorthand over the years. He was isolated and presumably wrote a lot. It wasn't unusual for people who did a lot of journal keeping to have their own shortened codes for things they commonly wrote regarding.

Court reporters still use it, yeah. They have special shorthand keyboards.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The House of Commons still has the Hansard written in official shorthand, although you can only access the typed-up version online.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Catpetter1981 posted:

So, how do you feel about your fans here?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm still confused as to why corpsemom's first thought was to eat the flower, I mean aside from the fact that Mookie is incapable of separating author knowledge from character knowledge. El Seed can't even have told her to do it since he (apparently, we still haven't gotten any confirmation) can't speak normally and has to have people eat seeds with his words in them, and nobody else would have thought for her to do it either.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why does he even feel the need to inform Snout of that in the first place, other than for the benefit of the reader?

I don't think he's writing it to inform Snout, it's just a continuation of his research findings that he's far too important to write down himself. Except that in an academic paper (or even notes that would later be used as the foundation for a paper) you don't just cross out words like that. You'd just have the guy write something like "But after El Seed used his plant magic, she ate a flower and is now able to fully communicate with us."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still confused as to why corpsemom's first thought was to eat the flower

She's an infant. Babies put everything in their mouth!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I just want to know why she folded up all the petals before trying to chomp it in half instead of, like, eating the petals one by one and then eating the center part or something. None of this makes sense and right now it really should.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Howard Beale posted:

I just want to know why she folded up all the petals before trying to chomp it in half instead of, like, eating the petals one by one and then eating the center part or something. None of this makes sense and right now it really should.

It needed to be more phallic for Mookie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In the Deeganverse if someone hands you something you eat it, no questions asked.