Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

garycoleisgod posted:

Part of the problem with the argument that Killmonger doesn't actually care about oppressed people, or at least that's not his primary motivation and is just all about personal revenge is that in that narrative he is still a massive babyface.

Think about it: A member of a royal family is cut off from his home after his father is murdered by others in the family for the crime of trying to help the oppressed.

This exile spends years training and gaining the skills to get revenge, rolls back into his home kingdom alone with no backup or allies and challenges the king - his cousin - to single combat to determine the rightful king, as is the very stupid local custom.

During the duel one of the kings advisors tries to interfere, but the exile still wins the fight and is crowned king and he announces his plan to continue his fathers work and help the oppressed using his royal resources...

and we're supposed to think this guy is the villian?

Yes we are, he advocates for global race war. Killmonger is only right if you don’t listen to half his lines or pay attention to his actions.

It is weird how he doesn’t get hate for working for the CIA that much when like half of BP discussion here is mad that Martin Freeman’s character did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Spacebump posted:

It is weird how he doesn’t get hate for working for the CIA that much when like half of BP discussion here is mad that Martin Freeman’s character did.

Because Killmonger is blowback and Martin Freeman is the CIA actively working with the heroes of the film.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Because Killmonger is blowback and Martin Freeman is the CIA actively working with the heroes of the film.

Killmonger made a lot of marks on his body for people he killed. Most of those were presumably done while he worked for the CIA. He wasn’t a good dude, if anything he was a serial killer. We don’t know exactly what Freeman has done with the CIA in his career, but we know some of what Killmonger did.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Spacebump posted:

Killmonger made a lot of marks on his body for people he killed. Most of those were presumably done while he worked for the CIA. He wasn’t a good dude, if anything he was a serial killer. We don’t know exactly what Freeman has done with the CIA in his career, but we know some of what Killmonger did.

Yeah, exactly. The CIA is awful. Only one of those two characters was currently working with the CIA instead of against it during the movie proper.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

We see Erik Stevens lose his father as a boy and we sympathize with his anger, so even if he very clearly does bad things, it's a shame he apparently has to die without anyone in his family ever reaching out to him with love. He was a lost soul and it was wrong to let him die based on a spur-of-the-moment decision, which can be true even if he has committed evil acts in his life.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, exactly. The CIA is awful. Only one of those two characters was currently working with the CIA instead of against it during the movie proper.

We don’t know how awful MCU CIA is. Presumably Shield did some of their bad work instead, though I’ll give you maybe they didn’t and their CIA has just as much blood on its hands. However, if we aren’t filling in the gaps left by the film with our own imagination. Killmonger is shown to be a horrible person, worse than Freeman’s character. Freeman’s character doesn’t give the CIA everything in the briefing at the end. Freeman’s character helps stop Killmonger from starting a global race war. Saying he is equally bad or not as bad as Freeman’s character is ridiculous. One is a serial killer trying to cause untold amounts of more death, the other is helping the heroes of the film stop that.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

In the MCU, "CIA" stands for "Contraband Investigations Agency" and all they do is track stolen goods that might be smuggled between national lines. It's why Martin Freeman's on the case, he's looking for the artifacts Erik stole.

edit: Unfortunately, it's easily confused with the "CIA" - the Criminal Indecency Association - that trained Erik to be a mass murderer.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 7, 2021

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Serial killer" doesn't include everyone who has killed multiple people and would not seem to include Erik Stevens.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

"Serial killer" doesn't include everyone who has killed multiple people and would not seem to include Erik Stevens.

What’s the difference between him and Victor Zsasz? They both kill a ton of people and make marks on their body for each kill. Zsasz is a serial killer. Killmonger was trying to expand his killing to much greater level.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

We don’t know how awful MCU CIA is. Presumably Shield did some of their bad work instead, though I’ll give you maybe they didn’t and their CIA has just as much blood on its hands. However, if we aren’t filling in the gaps left by the film with our own imagination. Killmonger is shown to be a horrible person, worse than Freeman’s character. Freeman’s character doesn’t give the CIA everything in the briefing at the end. Freeman’s character helps stop Killmonger from starting a global race war. Saying he is equally bad or not as bad as Freeman’s character is ridiculous. One is a serial killer trying to cause untold amounts of more death, the other is helping the heroes of the film stop that.

You're the one who keeps calling him a serial killer. Your new theory that the CIA was actually not that bad and he was just one of the "bad apples" who was using his CIA training and resources to do more than the allotted amount of sanctioned killings? lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol so literally it's fine for a member of the CIA to massacre a bunch of people as long as they don't mark their body, that's a bridge too far and obvious sickie territory. Sure the cops/the CIA/the FBI/the military intentionally kill a shitload of people but they don't like, get tattoos about it*

*(ignore the ones who specifically get tattoos to celebrate their service in these institutions please)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

Your new theory that the CIA was actually not that bad and he was just one of the "bad apples" who was using his CIA training and resources to do more than the allotted amount of sanctioned killings? lol

aaaaaaaaaa

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

You're the one who keeps calling him a serial killer. Your new theory that the CIA was actually not that bad and he was just one of the "bad apples" who was using his CIA training and resources to do more than the allotted amount of sanctioned killings? lol

In the context of Black Panther, the CIA agent was the one trying to stop mass murder by Killmonger. Also, if you read my post you might have seen the part where I mention Freeman’s character doesn’t show complete loyalty to the CIA by the end of the film.

If you have issues identifying Killmonger as a bad guy I don’t know what to tell you.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spacebump posted:

What’s the difference between him and Victor Zsasz? They both kill a ton of people and make marks on their body for each kill. Zsasz is a serial killer. Killmonger was trying to expand his killing to much greater level.

Serial killing is specifically murder and most of Stevens' killing was authorized by his government. The few criminal murders we saw were over too short a period of time to qualify him as a serial killer. Note, "not technically a serial killer" doesn't mean "good guy."

Nobody in this thread thinks that killing people for the CIA is okay. You can just say he did that without introducing terms with specific meanings that don't apply.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Serial killing is specifically murder and most of Stevens' killing was authorized by his government. The few criminal murders we saw were over too short a period of time to qualify him as a serial killer. Note, "not technically a serial killer" doesn't mean "good guy."

Nobody in this thread thinks that killing people for the CIA is okay. You can just say he did that without introducing terms with specific meanings that don't apply.

Thank you, I appreciate your explanation. I was wrong to use the phrase serial killer instead of killer.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pospysyl posted:

In the MCU, "CIA" stands for "Contraband Investigations Agency" and all they do is track stolen goods that might be smuggled between national lines. It's why Martin Freeman's on the case, he's looking for the artifacts Erik stole.

edit: Unfortunately, it's easily confused with the "CIA" - the Criminal Indecency Association - that trained Erik to be a mass murderer.

Like how NAMBLA (the North American Marlon Brando Love Association) is always furious with getting confused with NAMBLA (the North American Man-Boy Love Association).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The CIA in the film is the same as the CIA in real life, that's why they call it the CIA and don't come up with a pretend government agency to fill that role in the story

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As a Black Panther liker, I don't think Killmonger is hard to decode. Killmonger grew up in a hosed up place, tucked away his trauma by taking on an authoritarian roles out of a sense of security. Killmonger is visually coded as a cop for a lot of the movie--blues, tactical gear--as well as the Wakandans who actually side with him who are functionally border patrol. But he really did grow up in a racist rear end country and see his dad die. It's supposed to be tragic because he does have legitimate grievances and you can see the hurt in his father during the ancestral plane scene. The line at the end of the movie is not him appropriating real struggles--talk to Claude McKay about what it means to be a wealthy and well-to-do Black man immigrating to the US--because those are real struggles.

Killmonger being a super-predator is the worst take.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

2house2fly posted:

The CIA in the film is the same as the CIA in real life, that's why they call it the CIA and don't come up with a pretend government agency to fill that role in the story

I don't see Martin Freeman do much cooking for a Culinary Institute of America chef.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

As a Black Panther liker, I don't think Killmonger is hard to decode. Killmonger grew up in a hosed up place, tucked away his trauma by taking on an authoritarian roles out of a sense of security. Killmonger is visually coded as a cop for a lot of the movie--blues, tactical gear--as well as the Wakandans who actually side with him who are functionally border patrol. But he really did grow up in a racist rear end country and see his dad die. It's supposed to be tragic because he does have legitimate grievances and you can see the hurt in his father during the ancestral plane scene. The line at the end of the movie is not him appropriating real struggles--talk to Claude McKay about what it means to be a wealthy and well-to-do Black man immigrating to the US--because those are real struggles.

Killmonger being a super-predator is the worst take.

Nobody said super-predator. Yes his story is tragic, but tragic people can still commit wrongs. At some point he should be accountable for his actions. Doesn't Killmonger kill or attempt to kill almost every woman he talks to in the movie? Why did he need to murder his girlfriend? Isn't he introduced in a scene where he is leading a squad to commit mass murder in museum during the day? This was better to do than rob the museum at night because?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Spacebump posted:

In the MCU, US intelligence was all being run by an undead Nazi. So the CIA is exactly the same as in real life.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I gotta say, as many times as this discussion has happened here, "maybe the MCU CIA isn't as bad as the real life one" is a bold new direction.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Especially since T'Challa kills a dozen people in the opening scene. None of them are even named.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 7, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I gotta say, as many times as this discussion has happened here, "maybe the MCU CIA isn't as bad as the real life one" is a bold new direction.

I only said it was possible but also said they could be as bad. It isn't too ridiculous of a thought when you consider the MCU at some point diverges to having different Presidents and SHIELD seemed to be above them in importance (though not to the public, as shown in Ironman). What I am saying is it is possible bad things the CIA did IRL were potentially done by SHIELD in the MCU. SHIELD likely caused worse issues since they were run by Hydra Nazis. However, nothing confirms this and the MCU CIA could even be worse for all we know.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spacebump posted:

Nobody said super-predator. Yes his story is tragic, but tragic people can still commit wrongs. At some point he should be accountable for his actions. Doesn't Killmonger kill or attempt to kill almost every woman he talks to in the movie? Why did he need to murder his girlfriend? Isn't he introduced in a scene where he is leading a squad to commit mass murder in museum during the day? This was better to do than rob the museum at night because?

He doesn’t have to do any of those things. He’s a character in a movie written that way. The question, as has been mentioned repeatedly, is why is the only voice on the entire MCU that’s talking about liberation of the dispossessed from white supremacy also just so goddamn crazy that he just lives for murder?

It’s like if they had a character talking about trans rights that was also a sadistic pedophile would your response be “well, it’s tough to be trans but that’s no excuse for being a sadistic pedophile” or would you instead wonder why they chose to represent the trans rights person, who is the only one in the entire MCU, as a sadistic pedophile?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The MCU is also objectively worse than our actually-existing U, because have you seen the poo poo that goes down between 2008 and 2021 after Iron Man shows up?

MCU is dog poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You all are making me want to re-watch some Marvel films lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He doesn’t have to do any of those things. He’s a character in a movie written that way. The question, as has been mentioned repeatedly, is why is the only voice on the entire MCU that’s talking about liberation of the dispossessed from white supremacy also just so goddamn crazy that he just lives for murder?

It’s like if they had a character talking about trans rights that was also a sadistic pedophile would your response be “well, it’s tough to be trans but that’s no excuse for being a sadistic pedophile” or would you instead wonder why they chose to represent the trans rights person, who is the only one in the entire MCU, as a sadistic pedophile?

Nakai is a character that exists in the film and advocates for T’Challa to open up to the world and invest in the prosperity and well-being of black people.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Nakai is a character that exists in the film and advocates for T’Challa to open up to the world and invest in the prosperity and well-being of black people.

going to go out on a limb and say her concept of black liberation isn’t quite as dramatic as Killmonger’s

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spacebump posted:

That’s not the same as black liberation. The Bill Gates foundation spending a bunch of money on Africa isn’t a black liberation movement.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s not the same as black liberation. The Bill Gates foundation spending a bunch of money on Africa isn’t a black liberation movement.

Ah, but what if Bill Gates were black?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I mean, the Chinese government is doing a shitload of investment in Africa. Is the CCP thus about Black Liberation?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I mean, the Chinese government is doing a shitload of investment in Africa. Is the CCP thus about Black Liberation?

This is a bad faith post because you are deliberately ignoring the why behind investments for Wakanda vs CCP.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Spacebump posted:

This is a bad faith post because you are deliberately ignoring the why behind investments for Wakanda vs CCP.

what is the why behind Wakanda's investments?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Spacebump posted:

I only said it was possible but also said they could be as bad. It isn't too ridiculous of a thought when you consider the MCU at some point diverges to having different Presidents and SHIELD seemed to be above them in importance (though not to the public, as shown in Ironman). What I am saying is it is possible bad things the CIA did IRL were potentially done by SHIELD in the MCU. SHIELD likely caused worse issues since they were run by Hydra Nazis. However, nothing confirms this and the MCU CIA could even be worse for all we know.

You're approaching the MCU like it's a literal parallel universe as opposed to a fictional bunch of work to be interpreted. Imagine if the MCU had an origin story of the CIA without its horrid history, but genuinely fighting for 'truth and justice'. Then we would have that in conjunction with a story where the real global threat is a black guy being too mad about systemic oppression.

Like no, this would make the MCU even more obscene, not less.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 7, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Serial killing is specifically murder and most of Stevens' killing was authorized by his government.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Come to think of it, the MCU CIA being different would explain that weird scene where Tony Stark flies to the oil-rich Socialist Republic of Iran and trips on their safe, legal LSD.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

KVeezy3 posted:

You're approaching the MCU like it's a literal parallel universe as opposed to a fictional bunch of work to be interpreted. Imagine if the MCU had an origin story of the CIA without its horrid history, but genuinely fighting for 'truth and justice'. Then we would have that in conjunction with a story where the real global threat is a black guy being too mad about systemic oppression.

Like no, this would make the MCU even more obscene, not less.
Yeah, I always find when people straight up go for T'Challa is collaborating with the CIA they're spiking the ball a bit on the CIA critique. The movie is communicating to us that Killmonger isn't the Joker just letting the world burn. He's someone who became scary by going through legal US institutions. If you're a scared little kid who wants to be able to shoot and bully people, the US will let you if you put in the effort. Like I said, he's a cop.

But that's why all the Ross stuff seems gross to me, not because the film is CIA propaganda per se--although it has literally been used as such--but that the film both recognizes that the CIA is bad, Ross is at least complicit in imperialism, but gives him a weak redemption arc so maybe the CIA isn't all THAT bad?

Spacebump posted:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be purposefully provocative, I just feel like it's not hard to get that point from your posts and I'm struggling with what you would even consider the movie to be about.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timeless Appeal posted:

But that's why all the Ross stuff seems gross to me, not because the film is CIA propaganda per se--although it has literally been used as such--but that the film both recognizes that the CIA is bad, Ross is at least complicit in imperialism, but gives him a weak redemption arc so maybe the CIA isn't all THAT bad?

When he started saying how Killmonger is using the CIA's methods I was briefly expecting him to then reveal how he was working with Killmonger all along to bring Freedom to Wakanda which is why they were so easily able to bust Ulysses Klaue out/etc. Naive of course but in the moment of watching the movie I was just assuming he was going to turn out to be bad or at least conflicted/complicit at some point because as others pointed out I figured like why else is he just a "regular" CIA guy and not from SHIELD or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

When he started saying how Killmonger is using the CIA's methods I was briefly expecting him to then reveal how he was working with Killmonger all along to bring Freedom to Wakanda which is why they were so easily able to bust Ulysses Klaue out/etc. Naive of course but in the moment of watching the movie I was just assuming he was going to turn out to be bad or at least conflicted/complicit at some point because as others pointed out I figured like why else is he just a "regular" CIA guy and not from SHIELD or whatever.
I kind of have mixed feelings about this because yes, I think what you're describing would make a lot more thematic sense, but also take some agency away from Killmonger.