Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Formula E in Valencia was the most Formula E race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I did not expect Valencia to provide anything close to entertainment but that sure was indeed a something

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

Formula E in Valencia was the most Formula E race.

Yesterday or today? I can see both of them being absolute clown shoes.

also that chicane they added in after the final corner is heinous.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

harperdc posted:

Yesterday or today? I can see both of them being absolute clown shoes.

also that chicane they added in after the final corner is heinous.

Yesterday, the one where half the field got disqualified. Today was apparently much more standard but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://racer.com/2021/04/25/bill-whittington-1949-2021/

quote:

The tumultuous life of Bill Whittington came to a fiery end Friday afternoon in a private airplane crash outside Winslow, Ariz.

Whittington, 71, and another passenger perished but details were still sketchy on Sunday as local officials and the National Transportation Safety Board have yet to officially confirm his death. Some of Whittington’s closest friends, however, are grieving after receiving private news of his passing.

Whittington raced in Indy and IMSA/sports cars in the 1980s, but that is not what he’ll be remembered for.

quote:

Best known for his exploits in sports car racing, Whittington was one of IMSA’s most famous marijuana-smuggling drivers who financed his participation in the sport from profits earned in the drug trade.

The story of the Whittington brothers having a couple hundred thousand dollars, cash, on-hand at Le Mans is pretty amazing. So are the legends about what’s still buried around Road Atlanta.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hey y'all the 2021 World Endurance Championship season is starting this week!

Monday through Wednesday are the official Prologue, the testing sessions ahead of the season start this weekend. (Usually the Prologue is a non-race circuit and non-race weekend, but COVID being what it is, they've rolled this together to save costs and travel).

They're down a few cars on the official Spa 6 Hours entry list - Glickenhaus is still out back sharpening its blade before official deployment - but it's still a high-quality grid and should be an interesting World Championship season.

1. 6 Hours of Spa - Spa Francorchamps, Belgium :getin: - May 1
  2. 8 Hours of Portimao - Algarve, Portugal - June 13
  3. 6 Hours of Monza - Monza, Italy :italy: - July 18
  4. 24 Hours of Le Mans - Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans, France :france: - August 21-22
  5. 6 Hours of Fuji - Fuji Speedway, Japan :japan: - September 26
  6. 8 Hours of Bahrain - Sakhir Circuit, Bahrain - November 20

Looking forward to another year of the world championship. Fingers crossed I can actually get to Fuji this year.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a great rear end field and makes me hype for Le Mans.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

harperdc posted:

https://racer.com/2021/04/25/bill-whittington-1949-2021/

Whittington raced in Indy and IMSA/sports cars in the 1980s, but that is not what he’ll be remembered for.

The story of the Whittington brothers having a couple hundred thousand dollars, cash, on-hand at Le Mans is pretty amazing. So are the legends about what’s still buried around Road Atlanta.

Holy poo poo he owned World Jet, too.

Finding out that FBO was probably complicit in drug smuggling is like, not even a little bit surprising.

:lol:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So far the p2s are faster than the Alpine that's faster than the Hypercar

:psyduck:

I'm sure it will shake out but this owns. Chaos reigns.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

anything that makes the ACO/FIA look bad is good so thats pretty good!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ogier did the Ogier thing in Croatia, but Adrien Fourmaux had a promising WRC-RC1 debut for Ford, and they definitely need some spark on their team, so that's good.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 27, 2021

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

algebra testes posted:

So far the p2s are faster than the Alpine that's faster than the Hypercar

:psyduck:

I'm sure it will shake out but this owns. Chaos reigns.

The Rebellion was faster than faster LMP2 cars last year so they've royally hosed something.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

The Rebellion was faster than faster LMP2 cars last year so they've royally hosed something.

I think they have to be running heavier and with less power than last year if they’re also this slow in testing:

quote:

Paddock sources confirmed to DSC today that, in addition to the test we reported on at Paul Ricard with a Toyota GR010 testing back-to-back with a full 2021 spec LMP2 (the Racing Team Nederland car) there was another test, prior to the ELMS ‘Prologue’ test at Barcelona which saw the Alpine A480 ‘Hypercar’ tested at the same time as at least one 2020 spec LMP2 (with 2020 power and weight), drivers unknown, as was the spec to which the Alpine was running. The LMP2 car was quicker by well over a second per lap.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Pretty good SF race at Suzuka. Nojiri looks really on it this year.

If I was Makino I'd be fairly worried about how well Sasahara is doing in his seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWZdrVPZWE

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Jehde posted:

Ogier did the Ogier thing in Croatia, but Adrien Fourmaux had a promising WRC-RC1 debut for Ford, and they definitely need some spark on their team, so that's good.

Man, you left out the best part where Ogier got swiped by another car on a public road section before he even started racing on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62Gh-9j6fE

And he still managed to win the race. There are some clips of his co-driver wearing goggles because dust was just pouring in through the passenger's side.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ooh, we get some news about Audi’s LMDh effort on the eve of the WEC season

https://twitter.com/dsceditor/status/1387705751607693314?s=21

Targeting a first race at the 2023 Rolex 24, confirmed shared platform with Porsche and customer teams from the start.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

86 bins it on the warm up lap to the grid :xd:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here I am, like an idiot, watching the extremely cool and good VLN series forgetting that the SPA race started 30 min ago.

Anyway lol I love this poo poo.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Good race Buemi. good job hypercars, in this, the start of the hypercar era.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I had the Spa 6 Hours on while packing up my apartment last night, so I saw precious little except that for much of the first half of the race the three LMHs were out front. Funny, that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And since Alpine were beaten by a whole minute in 6 hours by one of the two Toyotas they've already ejected their toys.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/alpine-bop-changes-fuel-mileage-concerns/6502404/

gently caress sake.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
No real surprise but officially announced: Penske and Porsche are teaming back up for LMDh in both the WEC and IMSA

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

And since Alpine were beaten by a whole minute in 6 hours by one of the two Toyotas they've already ejected their toys.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/alpine-bop-changes-fuel-mileage-concerns/6502404/

gently caress sake.

Lol maybe they should bring an actual hypercar instead of a rules lawyered lmp1

Time to brush off the yellow penske spyder liveries I see

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alongside that news of Alpine truly joining the top class of sports car racing after bitching about BOP, some more details on who could be signing up for LMH/LMDH as per a couple days ago.

• Alpine isn't formally investigating it yet, but apparently top Renault execs are getting reports regularly
  • BMW should be known formally one way or another in the next week or two, an LMDH has been formally investigated, and partially now to who the partners would be.

(I'm guessing the BMW stuff is going to some form of top board meeting for final approval based on the wording)

McLaren is still rumored, and at least one or two are apparently still interested as well. Interesting times.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

orange juche posted:

Lol maybe they should bring an actual hypercar instead of a rules lawyered lmp1

It's just how these are going to be won now, it's not going to get any better when the real manufacturers arrive.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Even then Toyotas hypercar looks barely different from the previous LMP1H? Like is it massively different under the skin.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well it's slower.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

track day bro! posted:

Even then Toyotas hypercar looks barely different from the previous LMP1H? Like is it massively different under the skin.

They really don't look much alike at all other than the high nose and general prototype shape. It's significantly bigger, pretty much all the features are smoothed out a bit, the wing is lower.

The one thing that really does make it look alike is the livery because corporate livery makers are loving uncreative as hell. Red white and black. Groundbreaking.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s also that it’s basically the same design and it’s busy enough to mask some of the body lines. Not like telling old Marlboro-sponsored McLaren F1 cars apart, for example.

That the cars are this heavy and slow is Aston Martin’s fault, because they were insisting on not using a purebred racing chassis but the road car that still hasn’t officially launched to my knowledge. Cool. Way to ruin that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They really don't look much alike at all other than the high nose and general prototype shape. It's significantly bigger, pretty much all the features are smoothed out a bit, the wing is lower.

The one thing that really does make it look alike is the livery because corporate livery makers are loving uncreative as hell. Red white and black. Groundbreaking.

toyota should go back to the blue scheme they used to have imo, it was much nicer than this audi knockoff scheme

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh hey an update on Glickenhaus - they've homologated the aero, will do a 30-hour test at Aragon in Spain soon with one chassis, and the second will race at Portimao before both join the WEC for Monza and Le Mans.

Can't lie, I would be frustrated if they don't send those to Fuji this year.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

toyota should go back to the blue scheme they used to have imo, it was much nicer than this audi knockoff scheme

:agreed:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Oh hey an update on Glickenhaus - they've homologated the aero, will do a 30-hour test at Aragon in Spain soon with one chassis, and the second will race at Portimao before both join the WEC for Monza and Le Mans.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Jim doesn't plan on doing the flyaways this year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Tbh I'll believe them when I see them. I've just seen one too many company say "This round, not THIS round, no THIS ROUND" and then never/rarely show. eg - Nissan, Kolles, Ginetta....

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Tbh I'll believe them when I see them. I've just seen one too many company say "This round, not THIS round, no THIS ROUND" and then never/rarely show. eg - Nissan, Kolles, Ginetta....

That’s understandable - note how we haven’t heard about ByKolles’ supposed LMH project at all. But from that link, part of the news is they’ve homologated the aerodynamics for this car with the FIA, so…that suggests it’s sooner than later. But yeah, sports car racing: a grand tradition of vapor ware.

Also looks like the full WEC broadcasts are going on YouTube soon after the race this year. Here’s Spa up already:

https://youtu.be/sUCYqjtIAR0

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

They need to go back to the white-yellow-red of the ‘80s and ‘90s. I’m not kidding, it would be extremely distinct and give the car a different identity in 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

They need to go back to the white-yellow-red of the ‘80s and ‘90s. I’m not kidding, it would be extremely distinct and give the car a different identity in 2021

Didn't they do that as a throwback livery one year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

You mean like these ones?

Problem is, those were only the North American team paint schemes, so there’s basically zero chance Toyota in Japan would adopt that look. Even in-period, when Gurney’s AAR ran the exact same car that was being used in Japan’s JSPC, the Japanese cars carried the Denso/Toyota, Taka-Q, and Minolta colors domestically or at Le Mans.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
3 Hours left in the Nurburgring 24h qualifying race. Always good to watch cars fang it around even if it isn't the full 24hr edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
So Toyota are going ahead with a road car after all:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-crown-gr-line-986bhp-gr-super-sport