Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pentyne posted:

The whole "prisoners ate lobsters" is one of most pervasive food myths I can think of. There's really no source for it beyond marketing ad campaigns from the 50s.

Also, almost all lobster is either frozen, then cooked, or cooked right after being killed. Imagine in the time before fridges and freezers just how gross those lobsters would be sitting on a truck for a day or two before being dropped off at a prison.

Yeah, there's a reason lobsters are the only animal in the supermarket they keep swimming around in a tank until you're ready to take it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

Mind sharing? I wanna try that.

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-crab-cakes-sriracha-aioli/

I have never felt ambitious enough to make the siracha aioli they want you to put on it, so can't speak to that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Torquemada posted:

The entirety of human history pretty much showed that cooking food for longer resulted in less random deaths.

So Brits are immortal then?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, there's a reason lobsters are the only animal in the supermarket they keep swimming around in a tank until you're ready to take it home.
it's so that you can say hi to your friends every time you visit :shobon:

usually it's me, a grown-rear end man, waving to the lobsters all alone, but sometimes it's me and someone else's small child and it makes me feel awkward but you gotta say hi to them

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

I remember the Fat-Free craze. It's actually interesting to rewatch 90s shows and see everyone super concerned about their fat intake.

I grew up on skim milk and "buttery spread," as a matter of fact I know my parents still exclusively use "buttery spread."

We definitely had ice milk instead of ice cream when that was a thing, remember that horror?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What happened in the 50s to make it so popular? It must have been demonstrably cheaper than swinging on vines over a ravine or something.

the rise of every town having its own quicksand pit? I live in Kentucky and like every town here has one (or two! or three!) patches of quicksand unique to your town. A place you could unexpectedly get trapped with friends while searching for ancient relics in the jungle and all that.

EDIT: Beaten

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 14:25 on May 7, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My dad just called the other day to say his meal prep service's recipe included adding a TBSP of butter to a sauce, and he was blown the gently caress away at how good that made it.

My wife and I have been teaching my dad that he can cook lately. Not how to cook, but that he can. My wife is completely mystified that my dad seems to view cooking as this inscrutable, arcane art that’s beyond his ken. I’ve explained to her the whole culture around cooking that my dad grew up with; cooking was something women did, and they would often dismiss a man’s attempt at even trying, often hoarding recipes and techniques to pass down only to daughters or daughters-in-law.

My dad was regularly buying rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. He loved them, and was heartbroken when he thought he’d have to stop because of the salt content because of his blood pressure. His reaction when my wife and I taught him that he could not only roast his own chickens, but that he could adjust the salt content and still make better chickens than the grocery store was so adorable. He was calling me up multiple times a day asking for advice and bragging about his latest bird.

This past week he’s been experimenting with muffins, and they were turning out like cement, so my wife explained to him the concept of over mixing. Then, when he got confused as to how to flavour them, we taught him that you can taste your spice mix as you’re cooking, which was a revelation.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just am now learning cooking techniques at 35. I could cook before but basicslly i had to have a recipe and exact measurements. Its really a lot of fun. What pushed me into it was getting a grill this last Christmas and experimenting with smoking and grilling which pushed me to try more on a stove.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Phylodox posted:

My wife and I have been teaching my dad that he can cook lately. Not how to cook, but that he can. My wife is completely mystified that my dad seems to view cooking as this inscrutable, arcane art that’s beyond his ken. I’ve explained to her the whole culture around cooking that my dad grew up with; cooking was something women did, and they would often dismiss a man’s attempt at even trying, often hoarding recipes and techniques to pass down only to daughters or daughters-in-law.

a whiles back i remember reading somewhere that italy was super, super bad about this so older widowed men lived in abject filth and privation because: cooking, cleaning, washing clothes were all believed to be women's work far beyond the ken of men, and various egalitarian movements are/were desperately trying to convince them that they are, in fact, not while also trying to remove the added cultural stigma surrounding men learning to do those things

i sure hope that's old information now in 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

You know you're in for a culinary experience when your food has a warning label with the phrase "anal leakage/seepage" (if you click, you'll know why I used spoiler tags)

Wait what the gently caress? Is this stuff still around?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hard counter posted:

a whiles back i remember reading somewhere that italy was super, super bad about this so older widowed men lived in abject filth and privation because: cooking, cleaning, washing clothes were all believed to be women's work far beyond the ken of men, and various egalitarian movements are/were desperately trying to convince them that they are, in fact, not while also trying to remove the added cultural stigma surrounding men learning to do those things

i sure hope that's old information now in 2021

You'd think so but there's also a real problem with young men having few to no basic life skills because even progressive and feminist parents just don't bother teaching them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kevin DuBrow posted:

olestra is basically just a fat that tastes like fat but doesn't get absorbed by the body, so it just hangs around in your guts until it is passed. the application for junk food is obvious - food that tastes fatty but technically adds zero calories! a miracle!

it got FDA approved in the states, but there was worry that all this loose fat just sitting around in your guts would cause the same kind of problems that excess fat causes in bowel movements, namely loose and drippy stools. it turns out later that olestra doesn't cause gut problems in everyone (some people report issues), but when you have to slap an FDA mandated label on your 'fat-free' chips that says "Warning! May cause abdominal cramps and loose stools!" it kinda turns consumers off to the product

you can still get olestra-containing products in some countries, its not dangerous or anything. it just wasn't the miracle bullet for fat-free junk food like manufacturers were hoping for, so there's no real point in using it given it earned a reputation as the anal leakage food additive

e: if you want to walk on the wild side, look for any fat-free chips, i think fat-free pringles can be found in the states

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 16:54 on May 7, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It’s rarely used, but the main problem was that because it was used in low cal options people would shovel giant amounts into their faces and find out the hard way what that much oil can do.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yeah, it’s formulated to remain solid at room temperature (no one wants wet chips) but becomes liquid at body temperature. It also had the unfortunate effect of stripping vitamins from your digestive system.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
And this is speculation/anecdotal, but people would also see the whole "Fat Free, half the calories!" and eat twice as much, rather than the same amount for less calories.

So while a regular serving might not have any adverse effects, earing 2-3 times that amount in a sitting is more likely to cause said loose stools.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 19:26 on May 7, 2021

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I listened to an interview with one of the ad guys who worked on olestra, and he claimed that in focus groups people who ate the chips absolutely did not care about the diarrhea. the taste plus promises of low calories was just too good , but late night talk shows took a lot of the wind out of there sails before the products were in many markets.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

And this is speculation/anecdotal, but people would also see the whole "Fat Free, half the calories!" and eat twice as much, rather than the same amount for less calories.

So while a regular serving might not have any adverse effects, earing 2-3 times that amount in a sitting is more likely to cause said loose stools.

Depending on how credibly you find Adam Ruins Everything, they basically said the whole fat free craze was awful because fat isn't really the culprit of obesity, its sugar which conveniently showed up in fat free foods to cover up bad taste and obesity rates shot up around the same time. And because people didn't feel full they ate more!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've heard that elsewhere too, AFAIK "sugar is what makes you fat" is a pretty lukewarm take.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oh yeah, sugar is really bad. Ask any European who comes to America and they'll say our standard "supermarket white bread" tastes like cake to them. Sugar (esp. corn sugar and syrup) is dirt cheap in the US and is just used to make anything and everything "taste better" even if it doesn't need it. And double-y so if they're trying to market it as low fat.

But you don't want to go full paleo/keto, either. Lest we forget the goon who went keto, was drinking cups of warm beef fat in place of coffee, ended up with the cholesterol levels of a man twice his age and now has the luxury of a lifetime Lipitor prescription.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
‘Calories make you fat’ seems too hard for most people.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Torquemada posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Guy sheds pounds on a diet of Little Debbies and Twinkies (and some dietary supplements, he didn't skip vitamins).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Exactly, you can lose weight eating anything. Just eat less than you expend .

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

Thermodynamics is a motherfucker whether you’re an engineer or not.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think so but there's also a real problem with young men having few to no basic life skills because even progressive and feminist parents just don't bother teaching them.

dont for get its gay to touch your own butt or even dick.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Someone is going to make a killing off of toilet paper for men

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Guy sheds pounds on a diet of Little Debbies and Twinkies (and some dietary supplements, he didn't skip vitamins).

I lost 60 pounds back in 2016 eating Five Guys and Wendy’s. I was just using an app to count my calories.

Thing is, if you’re not eating out all the time, counting calories can be a bitch. Weighing out every ingredient, figuring out the caloric value of each portion of a homemade meal, etc. is tedious as gently caress.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bobjr posted:

Someone is going to make a killing off of toilet paper for men

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My favorite version of low-fat products is low fat peanut butter, which is just oddly dry peanut butter with a shitload of extra sugar.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My favorite version of low-fat products is low fat peanut butter, which is just oddly dry peanut butter with a shitload of extra sugar.

Little bit of an exaggeration. I buy reduced fat cause I love the lovely tear-my-bread consistency. Skippy at least only has one extra gram of sugar per serving.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Phylodox posted:

Thing is, if you’re not eating out all the time, counting calories can be a bitch. Weighing out every ingredient, figuring out the caloric value of each portion of a homemade meal, etc. is tedious as gently caress.

Also referencing Adam Ruins Everything: he said that calories listed on packaging can be off by as much as 20%.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Mooseontheloose posted:

Depending on how credibly you find Adam Ruins Everything, they basically said the whole fat free craze was awful because fat isn't really the culprit of obesity, its sugar which conveniently showed up in fat free foods to cover up bad taste and obesity rates shot up around the same time. And because people didn't feel full they ate more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceRFvhlcsiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNr71oGoZC8

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

With sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHjF6h9US1o

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

According to the DVD commentary they got away with the bong with censors cause the script had it as "glass bauble".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, isn't it also a problem that sugar makes you hungrier?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, isn't it also a problem that sugar makes you hungrier?

It's not as satiating long term, so you eat calories, but they don't make you feel "full."

Roughly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not as satiating long term, so you eat calories, but they don't make you feel "full."

Roughly.

But it does give you energy more likely to make you get more food afterwards, I'd guess.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mister Kingdom posted:

Also referencing Adam Ruins Everything: he said that calories listed on packaging can be off by as much as 20%.

yeah that can be a real killer. if you think bloomin onions were bad before, think about that being an extra 15-20% more calories.

The easiest things to count calories, incidentally, happen to be easier to eat healthier. You weigh and measure your own rice, chicken, etc. it isn't going to be that off. You eat exactly that, and only that, and you know your metabolic rate, you'll lose weight.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://youtu.be/hxPjYSay9g0 Someone posted this in a different thread and good lord it made me cringe

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The 90s were the pinnacle of amazing sketch comedy shows but it feels like virtually every single one has a few really lovely sketches like that buried in them somewhere on virtue of being the 90s. The absolute definition of media not aging well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only 90s sketch that held up was the guy that wanted to dip his balls in things.