Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Dillbag posted:

I can only imagine people who saw Cronenberg's Crash instead of Haggis's Crash by mistake. Kind of like my friends in junior high that snuck into Naked Lunch thinking they were going to see some titties.
Trying to rent Midnight Run and accidentally getting Midnight Express was buck wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Dillbag posted:

I can only imagine people who saw Cronenberg's Crash instead of Haggis's Crash by mistake. Kind of like my friends in junior high that snuck into Naked Lunch thinking they were going to see some titties.

When I was a little kid, I wanted to rent The Pink Panther film because I liked the TV cartoon. My dad tried to talk me out of it because he knew the cover was misleading, but I insisted and he relented.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Alien scriptwriter knew the movie was good when someone yelled "Leave the drat cat!" at a premiere.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dillbag posted:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Syncopated posted:

I saw Borat on release day when I was 17 with like 5 friends, best cinema experience of my life easy.

Same here, the entire theater was in stitches and it was a hell of an experience.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Retrowave Joe posted:

Thread’s starting to feel like the 90s are back.

I'm suddenly reminded of the "George Lucas Raped My Childhood" thread on AICN

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The best part of A Quiet Place was reading all the reviews where they were like "since they can't use sound instead the filmmakers rely on subtle visual cues." Then you watch the movie and the subtle visual cues end up being sticky notes they linger on for three seconds that say "DON'T MAKE NOISE!!!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

The best part of A Quiet Place was reading all the reviews where they were like "since they can't use sound instead the filmmakers rely on subtle visual cues." Then you watch the movie and the subtle visual cues end up being sticky notes they linger on for three seconds that say "DON'T MAKE NOISE!!!"

That was still too subtle since people still asked why they can't just shoot the monsters (the whiteboard clearly state they're bulletproof) and how the main characters survived for a sequel despite being attacked by dozens of monsters in the ending of the first movie (the whiteboard again stating there's 3 in the are they live in).

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I’m aging myself but.

Best Movie Theater Experience: “Sixth Sense” on opening night. It sounds cliched, but you really could’ve heard a pin drop. “Jurassic Park”, “Toy Story”, an anniversary run of “The Wizard of OZ”, and a couple of special screenings of “Avengers” and “Frozen” (and the incredible “Get a Horse!” short) in a Disney-run 3D theater are up there too.

Worst Movie Theater Experience: The first “Scary Movie”. It’s terrible anyway, but a couple of adults a few rows ahead of us had apparently decided this would be a great choice to bring a veritable herd of small children to for a birthday party?! :psyduck:

Weirdest/Most Uncomfortable: Imagine a group of teen girls planning a fun night out together during lunch break to carpool to the theater and see an interesting fantasy-looking movie about an alien kid with psychic powers or something that was going to premier that night. And that is how my friends and I saw, on opening night, before... certain news came out... a movie called “Powder”. :stare:

Weirdest/Most Hilarious (for me at least): Seeing a performance of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” done by your college’s theater group with your friends is a lot of fun! But seeing it as it slowly dawns on you that you are the one person among your friends who even has any idea what to expect from a “Rocky Horror” performance is unforgettable.

E:

Dillbag posted:

Uncomfortable because the director is a convicted chomo that should never have been allowed on a film set with children?

Yup.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 7, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I don't mind the occasional hooting and hollering during a movie, it's a nice component of the theater experience. Way back as a teen I saw The Mummy 2 in theaters and people cheered when Oded Fehr and his merry band of desert horsemen took down the first wave of jackal monsters. Went to a Cornetto trilogy showing at Alamo Drafthouse a few years back where there was lots of raucous laughter and commentary that really added to the experience. Stuff like that is a nice touch, though it can get to be a bit much if you're not really feeling the movie or if it feels incongruent with the vibe. For example, people laughing at certain scenes during a showing of 12 Years A Slave. Not sure what there is to laugh about in that one.

All that said, the cheering and exultation during the whole "On your left...Avengers Assemble" sequence in Endgame felt earned, whatever else I think of MCU stuff. People were waiting for 10+ years of build-up to culminate in exactly that sort of spectacle and got what they were promised, even if it was just another big light and beam show of their favorite technicolor superheroes beating up a bunch of earth tone monsters. It's okay to let people have their moment to enjoy things that mean something to them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
By far the best theater experience of my life was seeing The Raid at the movie theater in Lincoln Center for the single night they were showing it as a part of a summer film festival event. My med school friends and I had a tradition of drinking and watching an action movie after every test. We had a core 5-6 people who would participate, plus a few random classmates who partook intermittently. Well, as soon as we saw the trailer for the Raid we made sure to get tickets to the Lincoln Theater event ASAP. Somehow 15 people from my class decided to come with us.

The night comes and the theater is packed to the brim with action movie fans. Some stodgy dude in a 3 piece suit comes out to introduce the movie as part of the event. He says something like, "This isn't the type of movie we would usually show at Lincoln Center, but when I saw the crowd reaction to at *whatever festival he was referencing* I knew I just had to bring it here.

The theater went balls to the walls out of control. Every fight scene had clipping and hollering. Whenever there was a particularly graphic death people gave a standing ovation. People absolutely lost their poo poo during the final fight. We normally did stuff like this when we watched in our small group, so to see an entire theater we the same enthusiasm was memory making. Gareth Evans was present and did a Q/A after the movie.

Needless to say our post-test action movie nights doubled in regular attendance after that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Megasabin posted:

By far the best theater experience of my life was seeing The Raid at the movie theater in Lincoln Center for the single night they were showing it as a part of a summer film festival event. My med school friends and I had a tradition of drinking and watching an action movie after every test. We had a core 5-6 people who would participate, plus a few random classmates who partook intermittently. Well, as soon as we saw the trailer for the Raid we made sure to get tickets to the Lincoln Theater event ASAP. Somehow 15 people from my class decided to come with us.

The night comes and the theater is packed to the brim with action movie fans. Some stodgy dude in a 3 piece suit comes out to introduce the movie as part of the event. He says something like, "This isn't the type of movie we would usually show at Lincoln Center, but when I saw the crowd reaction to at *whatever festival he was referencing* I knew I just had to bring it here.

The theater went balls to the walls out of control. Every fight scene had clipping and hollering. Whenever there was a particularly graphic death people gave a standing ovation. People absolutely lost their poo poo during the final fight. We normally did stuff like this when we watched in our small group, so to see an entire theater we the same enthusiasm was memory making. Gareth Evans was present and did a Q/A after the movie.

Needless to say our post-test action movie nights doubled in regular attendance after that.

I'd kill to see The Raid in a packed house.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Rahonavis posted:

Weirdest/Most Uncomfortable: Imagine a group of teen girls planning a fun night out together during lunch break to carpool to the theater and see an interesting fantasy-looking movie about an alien kid with psychic powers or something that was going to premier that night. And that is how my friends and I saw, on opening night, before... certain news came out... a movie called “Powder”. :stare:

Uncomfortable because the director is a convicted chomo that should never have been allowed on a film set with children?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
This is all very weird to me, because where I live, people shut the gently caress up during movies. No one's here to be your audience, they're here for the movie.

poo poo, even in a bad movie like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, when the lady and the bloke had a shag, some dickhead teens just started shouting "gay" and "wank" and other such stupid poo poo, until another person shouted "shut the gently caress up" at them.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

E: never mind

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 7, 2021

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

The MSJ posted:

That was still too subtle since people still asked why they can't just shoot the monsters (the whiteboard clearly state they're bulletproof)

Thankfully turns out that shooting the monsters actually worked.

Its definitely a movie that doesn't make too much sense but who cares - the theatre experience of just everyone being absolutely quiet was great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why were people wondering about that rather than why the dad wasn';t pulling out

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megasabin posted:

This sounds awesome.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Watching a great martial arts movie with a crowd is amazing. People really react vocally to the brutal hits, the most creative and surprising moves, and get into it like it's a playoff game.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Watching a great martial arts movie with a crowd is amazing. People really react vocally to the brutal hits, the most creative and surprising moves, and get into it like it's a playoff game.

Man i would LOVE to watch police story in a crowded theater

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The biggest reaction I can remember in a theater was to the original Independence Days. Really got cheers when Quaid toook down the saucer kamikaze style. Standing ovation at the end.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

The biggest reaction I can remember in a theater was to the original Independence Days. Really got cheers when Quaid toook down the saucer kamikaze style. Standing ovation at the end.

When I saw ID4 in the theater someone stood up and saluted at the end of Bill Paxton’s “this will be our Independence Day” speech.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

ruddiger posted:

When I saw ID4 in the theater someone stood up and saluted at the end of Bill Paxton’s “this will be our Independence Day” speech.

:mods:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A post-apocalyptic thriller where nobody can sleep. Very interesting concept. Stupidly simple because all of the madness that would ensue.

Awake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fuowcxdrYc

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I saw A Quiet Place in theaters and hated that theatergoing experience. The Incredibles 2 was playing downstairs and even the bass from that movie bled through to our theater, which was a welcome respite from the constant crinkling of wrappers and slushing of ice. At one of the tenser points in the film, someone dropped their can of beer and it rolled like all the way down the theater steps to a few stifled laughs.

I think the best one I had was Saw II, of all things. Big multiplex theater, midnight opening, tons of horror veterans who brought their non-acclimated friends, and the movie was just bad enough for a good 10% of the theater to heckle it constantly and have that be okay.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonoMan posted:

A post-apocalyptic thriller where nobody can sleep. Very interesting concept. Stupidly simple because all of the madness that would ensue.

Awake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fuowcxdrYc

For a while there, I thought it would be based on Nod by Adrian Barnes. I guess it's not a super novel premise. Looks interesting, though I kinda get the feeling the ending will be really dumb.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Nvm

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 7, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why were people wondering about that rather than why the dad wasn';t pulling out

The monsters would've been alerted by John Krasinski's extremely loud ejaculations

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im imagining the sound of a door slamming in the next room and lolling

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Carthag Tuek posted:

For a while there, I thought it would be based on Nod by Adrian Barnes. I guess it's not a super novel premise. Looks interesting, though I kinda get the feeling the ending will be really dumb.

It's just going to end with a CU on someone's face as they close their eyes and we'll be left wondering ~*~*DiD ThEy ReAlLy Go To SlEeP?*~*~

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
The best theater going experiences I had have always either been so-so horror movies like Paranormal Activity on opening night where everyone is getting the jumps or Infinity War and Endgame because the audience I was in was really into it.
The most awkward was a first date who chose Shame as a the movie to see that night and I didn't look into ahead of time.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TheJadedOne posted:

The most awkward was a first date who chose Shame as a the movie to see that night and I didn't look into ahead of time.

Yeah, but you went on to marry her so it's also a really sweet story? Seriously tho, what a wonderful scenario to have as a playground on a first date. Walk out out the cinema, have the energy be tense and odd between you, get to the car and loiter for a moment... "WELL, I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM" then telegraphed ten miles in advance, make a slow, animated move in for a kiss. Mmm, I'd have spun gold from that straw.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TheJadedOne posted:

The best theater going experiences I had have always either been so-so horror movies like Paranormal Activity on opening night where everyone is getting the jumps or Infinity War and Endgame because the audience I was in was really into it.

That reminds me, I saw Cabin in the Woods in the theater and the audience was extremely into it. Lots of gasps and :tviv:, but lots of laughs too.

I saw Drive in theaters on a date, which isn't like a terrible choice but it's not gonna do you any favors either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TheJadedOne posted:

I went to see Tree of Life on a first date. I was into it, she probably wasnt as much. Anyway, the couple behind us were something else, the dude was super not into it.

He kept angry-whispering to his date "ugh this is boring" and she was like "shush, it's good!", then they'd be quiet for another 20+ minutes. Every time I'm thinking, next time I'm gonna tell him to shut up but it just peters out & I get back into the movie. Eventually she's like "you wanna leave?" and he was like "nah its probably over soon" lmao

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm usually a huge curmudgeon who demands absolute silence in the theater, but drat I wish I had been there to see this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1CqVrGXdo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that sort of thing is great. But if people were yelling "Look out behind you!" and cracking jokes and poo poo, I'd hate it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
(There are two threads with this discussion so I can't keep track of which)

I saw The Matrix on opening night and *goddamn* - just 2 straight hours of the audience realizing they were witnessing a pretty historic cinematic moment.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

cvnvcnv posted:

Yeah, but you went on to marry her so it's also a really sweet story? Seriously tho, what a wonderful scenario to have as a playground on a first date. Walk out out the cinema, have the energy be tense and odd between you, get to the car and loiter for a moment... "WELL, I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM" then telegraphed ten miles in advance, make a slow, animated move in for a kiss. Mmm, I'd have spun gold from that straw.

We hung out for like 4 hours after talking about it and other stuff but it never went anywhere.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Carthag Tuek posted:

I went to see Tree of Life on a first date. I was into it, she probably wasnt as much. Anyway, the couple behind us were something else, the dude was super not into it.

He kept angry-whispering to his date "ugh this is boring" and she was like "shush, it's good!", then they'd be quiet for another 20+ minutes. Every time I'm thinking, next time I'm gonna tell him to shut up but it just peters out & I get back into the movie. Eventually she's like "you wanna leave?" and he was like "nah its probably over soon" lmao

Fuckin' lol I saw Tree of Life on opening weekend and everyone sat politely as the first couple of minutes of the film played back in complete silence (because it's Malick and I guess people were thinking "ok, there's no sound at the beginning, it's an artsty fartsy thing"). Eventually a lady a few seats over saw me looking really confused and she asked me "do you think there's supposed to be sound here?".

I walked out of the theater and asked the ticket guy "Hey, is the first couple of minutes of Tree of Life supposed to be MOS?". He looked at me like I was speaking in loving tongues so I told him "dude the sound is off in theater three". He go on his radio and said something like "uhhhh hey Jerry, some guy says there's no sound in theater three" and lo and behold as I was walking back to my seat there was a loud static burst followed by the sounds of lovely-looking CGI dinosaurs fighting as the idiot projectionist plugged the audio patch cable back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Dillbag posted:

I walked out of the theater and asked the ticket guy "Hey, is the first couple of minutes of Tree of Life supposed to be MOS?". He looked at me like I was speaking in loving tongues so I told him "dude the sound is off in theater three". He go on his radio and said something like "uhhhh hey Jerry, some guy says there's no sound in theater three"

I worked at a theater for two years and if you’d asked me the same question I’d have given you the same look that guy did because even tho I worked at a theater they didn’t really teach or expect you to know moviemaking jargon.