Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm constantly depressed but apparently my resting neutral face is smiling at nothing. That's kind of a peeve.
Me too. I tried a resting sad face and that made people ask me if I need help in a really concerned sort of way.

Between my resting smile and overall friendly demeanor I've had to pretend I care about way too many conversations with strangers. I'm not actually a people person I just look friendly so I get to squirrel my way through conversations until I creep people out enough that they walk away. Why can't "don't talk to strangers" just be universal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't get why people don't just mind their own business.

If someone isn't a close personal friend, significant other, or family member how does it even concern you how they're doing?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FreudianSlippers posted:

If someone isn't a close personal friend, significant other, or family member how does it even concern you how they're doing?

Republican spotted

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, ophthalmologist's office! Please don't put liquid hand sanitizer in a bottle like this:

on the sink your patients use for taking out their lenses! And definitely don't put the actual lens solution out of the patient's line of sight!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Sweet Jesus OWwwoww.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Seems like a smart business decision to me

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thankfully I didn't put it in my eyes, but I did put it on both of my lenses in their case before I realized what I'd done. The actual lens solution was on a desk to my right, juuuust out of sight. I rinsed the bejeezus out of my lenses, but knew they were a loss and threw them out when I got home, case and all.

It seems an especially bad decision to put the sanitizer there when patients will be grabbing the bottle when their lenses are out and their vision is compromised. What's hand sanitizer doing on a sink at all? And why the hell wasn't it in a pump??

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Holy poo poo, that is evil :gonk:Also the room is generally dimly lit too so you have that to deal with on top of impaired vision, even better! I'm so glad your eyes are okay and you realized before you put your contacts in. I'm going to the eye doctor's soon and I'm going to be thinking about that post now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't get why people don't just mind their own business.

1) Their soul has been so thoroughly crushed by suburban hell that they have nothing better to do than be a busybody about their neighbors/random strangers.
2) They're a weirdo with no boundaries so they see a stranger who looks like they won't instantly tell them 'gently caress off' if they start blabbering their life story at them & go for it. (unfortunately common, especially they're a creepy dude & their target is a woman)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Haifisch posted:

2) They're a weirdo with no boundaries so they see a stranger who looks like they won't instantly tell them 'gently caress off' if they start blabbering their life story at them

That sort of thing is only acceptable if you're both quite drunk which for any sensible person is only like 5-6 nights per week.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
my favourite thing on earth:

Get on the bus with big noise cancelling headphones on
Open a book
Some guy next me: HEY WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING

it's the gospel of gently caress off man

e: also, people who stand when there are plenty of seats available and just end up being in the way of everyone else who enters. Coolest of all is standing in the exit door area long before your stop.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Apr 30, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Haifisch posted:

1) Their soul has been so thoroughly crushed by suburban hell that they have nothing better to do than be a busybody about their neighbors/random strangers.
2) They're a weirdo with no boundaries so they see a stranger who looks like they won't instantly tell them 'gently caress off' if they start blabbering their life story at them & go for it. (unfortunately common, especially they're a creepy dude & their target is a woman)

Some are just lonely. There's a guy in my city who'll start a conversation with any youngish man. I don't think it's a sexual thing, he just seems simple and lonely, but it breaks my heart when I see some meaner people be aggressive towards him because they can't hold a "sure is some weather/what about local sports team?" conversation until their bus arrives.

But otherwise, if you have the social skills to understand that strangers don't want to be bothered, don't bother strangers please.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dip Viscous posted:

The root issue is people assuming something is bothering you just because you aren't smiling at nothing.

I HATE that. Evidently my neutral expression just screams "Hey, tell this lady to smile!" because people do it. ALL. THE. TIME.

gently caress OFF. I wasn't mad before your genius rear end told me to smile, but now I sure af am!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I would never just tell a random woman to smile but if shes already smiling I encourage her to smile wider

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I work in 'healthcare' (mental health) and I have raised numerous times how much it fucks me off that people leave the bottles of hand-wash on the radiators in the bathrooms.
These are non-patient areas too. It's not hard. Don't put it on the hot metal thing.

Our team have fairly recently been moved to this building and suddenly I understand all the signs I thought were passive aggressive in the toilets.
There's a brush. Wipe your poo poo/period (no, really) out the bowl. Natural functions are fine but FFS all the minimal tools you need to hide your bodily functions are there. We are supposedly healthcare professionals, have the courtesy to at least attempt to remove your poo.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

I HATE that. Evidently my neutral expression just screams "Hey, tell this lady to smile!" because people do it. ALL. THE. TIME.

gently caress OFF. I wasn't mad before your genius rear end told me to smile, but now I sure af am!

I don't even mind smiling, but it's werd as gently caress how people seem to be bothered that I don't have a huge grin when I'm kind of spacing off and trying to remember what spices I'm low on and need to pick up at the store later.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Haha you're always glued to your phone you should look up once in a while" I'm on my phone talking to my fiance who I havent seen in two years, which is far more important than listening to you, my coworker, whine about how your neighbour mowed their lawn but in a way that somehow magically inconveniences you holy gently caress

Alternatively I'm shitposting, which is still more important.

This same coworker likes to bitch about how I never talk to him, then when I do he'll straight up talk over me to the point that I stopped cutting myself off and we both talked over each other for a full 20 seconds. He didnt even notice

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SubNat posted:

Google is probably the biggest offender of this, but the entire 'Tee hee you don't have any cookies from us, so we're going to browbeat you into accepting them with full screen transition pages until you submit!' thing.
I really wish GDPR had come with a couple restrictions that limited how loving annoying sites could be about their terms/cookies/etc.
Sites shouldn't be allowed to slap up full-page transitions you have to agree to go through to use them, because like the other annoying cookie-related popups they just seem designed to punish and annoy people for daring to use incognito, or block cookies on a site etc etc.

It's so loving annoying that every single time you fire off an incognito window to do a quick google search, or check a youtube video without it getting added to your history you have to click through these full-screen terms.
And then conveniently because you're not storing any cookies that you've accepted, they'll be back the next time you start up a session.

It would be nice if browsers had a 'remember what cookie settings to apply to which site / slam in a dummy cookie' for sites as part of incognito mode. Or some other systemic way of getting rid of the plague of every single site spawning ''agree 2 everything??? yessssss! no don't click no'' on the 'first' visit each time.
Or if GDPR got updated to only allow sites to spawn something like that if you're doing something required by the site to function. Like only being able to ask to store a cookie if you log in, etc etc. Ban cross-site tracking, etc etc. A login on one site should never allow another to interact with your account without your explicit permission beforehand.
It really didn't take long for sites to realize that they just need to be obnoxious, and everyone would agree to the same aggressive datamining as they used to do unprompted.

(The push notification thing from liquidypoo is another one, it's insane how loving many sites just immediately started trying to get people to agree to push notifications through chrome. Every goddamn news site or adware redirect going 'HEY LET US PUSH NOTIFICATIONS TO YOUR DESKTOP SHITFACE')

Guessing it's the same people that designed all the Internet advertising bullshit moving into new fields now that they've annoyed everybody into adblockers. I realize web sites need some kind of support, but man Internet advertising just really pisses me off with how deceptive and exploitive the practices are. Let's do giant ads with the skip/no thank you button hidden so you accidently click on our ad and get bombarded with crap, or jack up the volume, or run some sort of code that de facto hacks you for loading the page, or all the other obnoxious ways we've turned advertising into a scummy jumping up and down screaming in your face like a weasel on crack cocaine, whether or not the page owner running our ads actually wants us to! If they did this crap for television ads, it'd be the equivalent of tying you to your chair during the commercial break and having Samara come out of the set to do a pushy door to door sales routine. Why on Earth would I buy from somebody whose ad practices scream "we drum up business by conning people"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MadDogMike posted:

If they did this crap for television ads, it'd be the equivalent of tying you to your chair during the commercial break and having Samara come out of the set to do a pushy door to door sales routine. Why on Earth would I buy from somebody whose ad practices scream "we drum up business by conning people"?

"Change to channel four now to resume your programme, or stay tuned for the rest of this 90 minute commercial!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That thing youtube does where it keeps the video playing in a small window when you click the home button. I wouldn't be clicking the home button if I wanted to still be listening to this lovely song you recommended to me.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

On top of it being a feature I can't see anyone actually wanting, it seems random whether or not it does that. Sometimes just using the back button makes the miniplayer pop up then 5 minutes later it doesn't.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

My wife and I have been vegan for about two years. Our family knows this. Our friends know this. Everyone knows this. During conversations a remark like “we made this new sauce for the chicken last night and it was really good” people will inevitably say “chicken?! But you don’t eat animals!” In a tone suggesting complete disbelief/shock. We’ve explained this multiple times. It’s much easier to say “I had chicken” or “I had fish” than “I had a chicken-like vegan dish meant to emulate the taste and texture of real chicken but rest assured there was no animal meat in it”

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Ah, it's a beautiful day, time to open the window and let in some nice fresh ai-VRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

loving Motorcycles.

And lawnmowers, you cut the grass like 4 days ago rear end in a top hat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spalec posted:

Ah, it's a beautiful day, time to open the window and let in some nice fresh ai-VRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

loving Motorcycles.

And lawnmowers, you cut the grass like 4 days ago rear end in a top hat.

I think the idiot with the Camaro finally moved out of my apartment complex, because weekends have been quite for a couple months now. It was fairly regular that it would start rumbling around right as soon as I was about to succumb to a rogue afternoon nap on the couch. One time he parked it in front of his apartment, idling for 4 hours straight.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cats! Just stay away from the baby, he is sleeping! Don't sniff his head, don't rub your teeth on his feet, don't climb on him, and definitely don't have a cat battle royale involving his crib! Because as I said before HE IS SLEEPING

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is more of a First World Problem more than a peeve, but Oh my God I hate how I seemingly forget every time I wash my dishes that, oh yeah, I need to immediately dry my glasses post-dishwasher because my area's water is like 95% Hard by volume.

Forget to open the dishwasher by like 30min, my glasses are WHITE.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this is more of a First World Problem more than a peeve, but Oh my God I hate how I seemingly forget every time I wash my dishes that, oh yeah, I need to immediately dry my glasses post-dishwasher because my area's water is like 95% Hard by volume.

Forget to open the dishwasher by like 30min, my glasses are WHITE.

Put a ramekin of white vinegar (a scant 1/4 cup worth) in the top rack of your dishwasher with every load. It also works to put it in the rinse aid dispenser, but not nearly as well.

It can gently caress with the seals on the door eventually, but it'll take years and the hard water deposits are going to do that for you anyway.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Someone cooking and they’re constantly sniffling or sneezing. And they say it’s allergies but still I don’t care. I don’t want to eat it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh god ew

When I quit one of my terrible kitchen jobs, I was basically one of two senior staff left because of terrible management. By the time I left, my co-worker who was de facto head chef, supervisor, opener, closer, what have you had been sick with a rattling cough for two weeks without taking a day off.

I came in to collect my final check and some back tips a couple weeks later, and I still heard her hacking and coughing in the back kitchen. Nobody was in line, and people who came to pick up were looking really uncertain about the whole affair. It was the saddest thing, but she wouldn't leave because she was in charge I guess.

Place closed a couple months after that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't want multiple staff greeting me as soon as I walk into a place. I don't want them to try and talk to me about anything not related to business. I don't want them to yell a farewell as I leave. I don't want a server checking on me every five minutes. I'm weirded out if they remember and use my name. I've been on both sides of this interaction and I know they hate this too. American "customer service" culture is my peeve.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
At one of my jobs I'm supposed to look at the name on the receipt and call the customer by name when I put it on their table. I don't do this and just call them by a random name and every single time it doesn't matter. Everyone on earth hates that overly familiar poo poo. Some day the People in Charge will figure this out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't want multiple staff greeting me as soon as I walk into a place. I don't want them to try and talk to me about anything not related to business. I don't want them to yell a farewell as I leave. I don't want a server checking on me every five minutes. I'm weirded out if they remember and use my name. I've been on both sides of this interaction and I know they hate this too. American "customer service" culture is my peeve.

You call it American but that also sounds like every proper Greek restaurant I’ve ever been to.

Honestly I can tell how good the place is gonna be by the time between when I sit down and when the owner introduces himself.

E:When I lived in Brooklyn I used to go to a place where the owner and his wife insisted I join them while jeopardy was on and it ruled so fuckin’ hard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fizzymercury posted:

At one of my jobs I'm supposed to look at the name on the receipt and call the customer by name when I put it on their table. I don't do this and just call them by a random name and every single time it doesn't matter. Everyone on earth hates that overly familiar poo poo. Some day the People in Charge will figure this out.

Yeah, I worked at a superstore for a minute, and if they put in their rewards number, their name would pop up on my screen, I was supposed to thank them by name, but I found that creepy, so I never did.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't want a server checking on me every five minutes.

I swear some servers wait until I've just taken a big ol' bite of my burger before appearing and asking how everything is. So I just have to do the 'positive sounding grunt/thumbs up'

Leave me alone. If it's bad I'll let you know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spalec posted:

I swear some servers wait until I've just taken a big ol' bite of my burger before appearing and asking how everything is. So I just have to do the 'positive sounding grunt/thumbs up'

Leave me alone. If it's bad I'll let you know.

It's not like we had much of a choice in it. We were told to do "two-bite checks" on the tables, and the manager was always on the lookout to chew us out for not doing it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All customer service problems come down to management. It is known.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Bev naps, 7 minute ticket times, and two-bite checks are forever etched into my brain 12 years later. (also, that was 12 years ago, how the gently caress did that happen!)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I remember the mandatory maximum ticket time for every food place I've worked and it kills me. I want that brain space back goddammit.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh, we’re talking introvert and excessive American chatiness peeves? Middle school was hell for me for many reasons, one of which was that people noticed me being quiet and frequently brought it up to me. And then they’d bring it up when I wasn’t quite. Sometimes they’d interrupt class to call attention to it, and some teachers would join in! loving monsters!

My parents were adamant that you couldn’t just say “Hi” to someone. You had to ask them stuff. I got performance reviews for family friend visits.

The popularization of “What’s up” as a casual greeting was a cruel prank America played on itself. I still don’t know what the proper answer to “What’s up” is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr Christmas posted:

Oh, we’re talking introvert and excessive American chatiness peeves? Middle school was hell for me for many reasons, one of which was that people noticed me being quiet and frequently brought it up to me. And then they’d bring it up when I wasn’t quite. Sometimes they’d interrupt class to call attention to it, and some teachers would join in! loving monsters!

My parents were adamant that you couldn’t just say “Hi” to someone. You had to ask them stuff. I got performance reviews for family friend visits.

The popularization of “What’s up” as a casual greeting was a cruel prank America played on itself. I still don’t know what the proper answer to “What’s up” is.

Nm hbu