Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I figured you gained ATB with each attack so attacking faster would reasonably make the ATB gauge fill faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I mean in the case of both of those things you can discover it by... using the move.

cute that you think I am logging information like that while furiously mashing buttons while the screen looks like someone threw fireworks into a blender

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Would you also be able to intuit that speed determines how fast you gain ATB charge? I'm not that attentive so I wouldn't have, personally.

Yes. That is literally what the speed stat does.

If you check the manual in the game it literally says "The higher the value, the faster your ATB gauge charges."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 24, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tbh the ATB bar needs to be bigger and showier, with more sound and effects to make it really obvious while you're in the middle of battle, instead of quietly sitting there in the corner. If you could much more immediately tell what it was doing during battle then it would definitely be easier to pick up on which moves are filling your ATB the fastest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. That is literally what the speed stat does.

If you check the manual in the game it literally says "The higher the value, the faster your ATB gauge charges."

Never occured to me to look at the manual as I was playing it, I just relied on the tutorial messages and that was it. I don't think I ever noticed that it was an option as I was playing the game even.

I'm one of the people who didn't catch the trick to defeating Rufus Shinra immediately.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FF7R has action/fighting game aesthetics and style taking up 99% of the screen, but for some reason opted to keep a JRPG-from-the-90s level of user interface to let the player know when super meters were full

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Barely 1/4 through the game, haven't played in forever. Wanted to boot it up on my PS5. Gonna do a playthrough, then newgame+ after the PS5 update June 10th (plus yuffie DLC)

Any settings to tweak, or general gameplay tips? Was everyones newgame+ playthrough longer? I've heard people say it's scaled well, and is when you play the "real" game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Barely 1/4 through the game, haven't played in forever. Wanted to boot it up on my PS5. Gonna do a playthrough, then newgame+ after the PS5 update June 10th (plus yuffie DLC)

Any settings to tweak, or general gameplay tips? Was everyones newgame+ playthrough longer? I've heard people say it's scaled well, and is when you play the "real" game.

Some gameplay tips have been discussed recently, in this thread I think. Basically:
- Don't rely on dodging to avoid damage. It has no i-frames and is generally not good for avoiding attacks, but sometimes can be useful for repositioning (or, like, taking Cloud quickly out of Punisher mode).
- Instead, learn to block. It reduces damage a lot, raises your ATB gauge, and is much more reliable for staying alive than dodging.
- Also, when the character you're controlling gets targeted by enemies, switch to a different character. It pays to switch often and get in an attack combo, then switch again. This boosts ATB on your whole team and tends to help avoid damage (the AI enemies only really focus on your current character, and your AI allies are very good at blocking and taking reduced damage). It help mimic the "turn-based" feel of the original as you'll be swapping to each character in turn to attack and use abilities.
- Use Cloud's Punisher mode to counter physical enemies that are otherwise hard to hit (speedy enemies, shielded enemies, etc.). But defending in Punisher mode does not reduced ranged or magic damage, so keep that in mind.

Newgame+ is pretty well balanced, in that you can generally go into NG+ right from when you finished the Normal mode and do fine. It helps to have been thorough in your first playthrough in collecting materia and weapons, so if you missed stuff you can use chapter select after beating the game to go re-do stuff in Normal mode if you want.

I'd say NG+ is probably faster overall, since you don't have to worry about collecting consumables or weapons/armor if you got them already in the first run, and you can speed through or skip cutscenes if you just watched them in Normal mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Aside from changing the camera settings so it's pulled back more, I can't remember having to fiddle around with any of the settings.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

New game is for the story, NG+ on hard is if you enjoyed the combat system and want to use everything it lets you do

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
e; wrong thread

Moola fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 2, 2021

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Go into the menus and find the shortcut button options for the characters. Set your favorite moves, spells, etc to specific buttons so you can chain them quickly and easily, action game style.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ohh I'm further along than I remembered. Getting back into the groove.

Schwartzcough posted:

Some gameplay tips have been discussed recently, in this thread I think. Basically:
- Don't rely on dodging to avoid damage. It has no i-frames and is generally not good for avoiding attacks, but sometimes can be useful for repositioning (or, like, taking Cloud quickly out of Punisher mode).
- Instead, learn to block. It reduces damage a lot, raises your ATB gauge, and is much more reliable for staying alive than dodging.
- Also, when the character you're controlling gets targeted by enemies, switch to a different character. It pays to switch often and get in an attack combo, then switch again. This boosts ATB on your whole team and tends to help avoid damage (the AI enemies only really focus on your current character, and your AI allies are very good at blocking and taking reduced damage). It help mimic the "turn-based" feel of the original as you'll be swapping to each character in turn to attack and use abilities.
- Use Cloud's Punisher mode to counter physical enemies that are otherwise hard to hit (speedy enemies, shielded enemies, etc.). But defending in Punisher mode does not reduced ranged or magic damage, so keep that in mind.

Newgame+ is pretty well balanced, in that you can generally go into NG+ right from when you finished the Normal mode and do fine. It helps to have been thorough in your first playthrough in collecting materia and weapons, so if you missed stuff you can use chapter select after beating the game to go re-do stuff in Normal mode if you want.

I'd say NG+ is probably faster overall, since you don't have to worry about collecting consumables or weapons/armor if you got them already in the first run, and you can speed through or skip cutscenes if you just watched them in Normal mode.

Really good tips & info thanks! I definitely have been rolling around like Dante in DMC, ngl. I'll try to block more. I think i've been using punisher mostly correctly, by your definition. Haha

RareAcumen posted:

Aside from changing the camera settings so it's pulled back more, I can't remember having to fiddle around with any of the settings.

double checked that I did this! Pro-tip for sure

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

New game is for the story, NG+ on hard is if you enjoyed the combat system and want to use everything it lets you do

hmm, I am liking the combat. I may do NG+ on hard then after the PS5 update.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Go into the menus and find the shortcut button options for the characters. Set your favorite moves, spells, etc to specific buttons so you can chain them quickly and easily, action game style.

Yeah, definitely underutilizing this

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXnDKAv_h8

Fort Condor is back

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's a lot going on here

Was that loving Nero the Sable I saw there? They really are diving headfirst into the compilation

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guess I'm back on the old PS5 hunt, then.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Guess I'm back on the old PS5 hunt, then.

Same.

That magitek armor Scarlett made really makes me wish there was a FFVI remake in the wings.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How much does the ps5 shortage have to do with the microchip shortage?

E: not the ps5 thread but this is a ps4 timed exclusive thread (I think?) so I知 gonna count it as a good post

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 7, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
IIRC it痴 more the chip shortage than scalper bots.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1390688490501804033

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's funny just how little that trailer cares about spoilers. But yeah, very excited for Integrade.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

remain convinced this is the best looking video game ever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HD DAD posted:

IIRC it痴 more the chip shortage than scalper bots.

Not really, scalping doesn't help but it's the chip shortage that's causing them to still be worth scalping 7 months later.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Oh, cool, now I have to play Integrade. Have they mentioned if it's ever coming to PC or am I boned unless I fork over money for a PS5?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How much is intergrade, exactly?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

necrotic posted:

Oh, cool, now I have to play Integrade. Have they mentioned if it's ever coming to PC or am I boned unless I fork over money for a PS5?

All we know is that Sony have bought exclusivity for "at least 6 months" after Integrade's release date. How long that actually means, who knows.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

NieR Occomata posted:

How much is intergrade, exactly?

Free update on PS5. If you bought the game on PS4 you'll get the PS5 upgrade for free.

Explicitly bought, if you nabbed 7R as a PS+ freebie on PS4 it doesn't count.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious about the world structure, if it's going to feature running around in the wilds. Will it try for an open-world region like FFXV? Do more contained, semi-open things like FFXII? Old-school JRPG world map?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The episode featuring Yuffie is $20 though regardless, correct? Both coming June 10th?

I'm just about done with the campaign I believe. Gonna be great to play through it all again PS5 enhanced

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I wonder how the upgrade will work; I own the physical copy of the game, but I'll probably end up getting the digital only PS5

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Square store and Gamestop have it for $70, with a steelbook case. The yuffie DLC is a separate DLC code with those. Gonna order that for the case & code, and sell the physical copy.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/629902/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-ps5

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ace Transmuter posted:

I wonder how the upgrade will work; I own the physical copy of the game, but I'll probably end up getting the digital only PS5

Like that, it's not, to upgrade the physical version you'll need a PS5 you can put the disc in.
Outside of just buying the game again anyway.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if the dlc will end with Yuffie joining the group, since she is an optional character in the original with no clear join point, and most people pick her up almost right away

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The episode featuring Yuffie is $20 though regardless, correct? Both coming June 10th?

I'm just about done with the campaign I believe. Gonna be great to play through it all again PS5 enhanced

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/25/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-arrives-on-ps5-june-10-2021/

I think so, if you already bought FFVIIR physically or digitally on PS4 you値l get the PS5 upgrade for free, but you値l need to buy the Yuffie DLC. If you got it through PS+ you値l have to pay a bit for the PS5 upgrade.

I wonder if there will be a physical PS5 version. Just curious if they池e able to use UHD Blu-ray Discs for games.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/25/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-arrives-on-ps5-june-10-2021/

I think so, if you already bought FFVIIR physically or digitally on PS4 you値l get the PS5 upgrade for free, but you値l need to buy the Yuffie DLC. If you got it through PS+ you値l have to pay a bit for the PS5 upgrade.

I wonder if there will be a physical PS5 version. Just curious if they池e able to use UHD Blu-ray Discs for games.

well, they're marketing it in a PS5 case with the PS5 label, but, not saying that means it's not just a rebranded ps4 game.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

CottonWolf posted:

It's funny just how little that trailer cares about spoilers. But yeah, very excited for Integrade.

No joke, I'll be shocked if that wasn't literally everything

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well, more specifically if anyone was waiting until the PS5 to get FFVIIR, that trailer just showed like every part of the climax. That's kinda dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, more specifically if anyone was waiting until the PS5 to get FFVIIR, that trailer just showed like every part of the climax. That's kinda dumb.

To be fair though the game has been out for a year and was literally given away for free the month before.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

bobjr posted:

I wonder if the dlc will end with Yuffie joining the group, since she is an optional character in the original with no clear join point, and most people pick her up almost right away

Seems more likely she'd join right at the beginning of Part 2. It'd be less confusing that way for people who missed the DLC, and otherwise there's basically no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So people have said the time ghosts represent the original plot or whatever but there are definite changes to the original plot during the game or in the background so how does that work?

I'm just watching the latest ep from Chip and Ironicus and it made me realize that the Shinra-Wutai War seems pretty different in this incarnation. There's just a ceasefire between the two and Wutai might actually attack Shinra, instead of Wutai being thoroughly defeated and doomed to tourist hell and apathy. (Of course, the changing realities of Japan then and now might play a part in this...)