Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Man City win the league, commiserations to Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United.

But I primarily made this thread because I wanted to chat about Dalian Atkinson who was murdered by PC Benjamin Monk, who it was found out in court today tasered Atkinson for 33 seconds, and then kicked him twice in the head so hard his laces left imprints. loving oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
this season has sucked and also i hope that cop goes to prison for the rest of his life

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

this season has sucked and also i hope that cop goes to prison for the rest of his life

same and same

at least there was the time where there was no football and big gary and big jamie publicly buried sky tv and graeme souness

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

same and same

at least there was the time where there was no football and big gary and big jamie publicly buried sky tv and graeme souness

You guys are on course to win the Europa League. That's pretty cool.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eric Cantonese posted:

You guys are on course to win the Europa League. That's pretty cool.

Oh, absolutely - ownership notwithstanding, we've improved a lot this season and it would be nice for Ole to win the UEFA Cup (even if it's piss and poo poo) as he's a good lad who manages well, I don't think it's been a bad season for United at all. I'm thinking more in the sense that I'm not planning on staying up to watch the episode of Premier League Years where City walk the league by winning 87 games in a row, where the bottom three was decided in *checks notes* August, and where City vs Chelsea for the European Cup is in real danger of happening.

I mean, if there's a game that would feel comfortable in front of no fans, it's that one, but still

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the premier league are investigating city for the same thing UEFA did except the main difference is there is no statute of limitations

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/sports/soccer/manchester-city-premier-league.html

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1389943176941690881

Another shocking VAR decision overturned.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Frankston posted:

Man City win the league, commiserations to Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United.

But I primarily made this thread because I wanted to chat about Dalian Atkinson who was murdered by PC Benjamin Monk, who it was found out in court today tasered Atkinson for 33 seconds, and then kicked him twice in the head so hard his laces left imprints. loving oval office.

The body had boot prints on the head and the bbc still puts 'kicked' in scare quotes.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Would be a big fan of Leeds finishing in the top half. Not a fan of poor Dalian getting brutalized

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Are there any stats on how many VAR-assisted red cards are being successfully appealed? Because both West Ham red cards given after consulting VAR (Soucek and Balbuena) this season have been overturned, and I legitimately can't remember more than one or two reds being successfully appealed for an entire season before VAR came along.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It’s pretty cool how VAR has somehow been worse than the older system of “just let some oval office make a call.”

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

It’s pretty cool how VAR has somehow been worse than the older system of “just let some oval office make a call.”

Turns out letting two cunts make a call doubles the chances of loving up when they're as up their own arse as prem refs are

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Very cool how quickly they went from "only to correct clear and obvious errors like sending off the wrong Arsenal player" to "spend ten minutes scrutinizing a normal tackle frame by frame to determine if a player's stud scraped another player's toe and he therefore deserves the death penalty"

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ChronicleNUFC/status/1390379238566604801

Ashley not wanting to lose his status as - if not worst - dumbest owner in the league is going to try and sue the EPL for restraint of trade because of the Fit and Proper test. Interestingly none of the coverage of this seems to include any quotes from experts in contract and/or sports law presumably because they're all too busy laughing or furiously masturbating over the amount of money they're going to earn from this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/ChronicleNUFC/status/1390379238566604801

Ashley not wanting to lose his status as - if not worst - dumbest owner in the league is going to try and sue the EPL for restraint of trade because of the Fit and Proper test. Interestingly none of the coverage of this seems to include any quotes from experts in contract and/or sports law presumably because they're all too busy laughing or furiously masturbating over the amount of money they're going to earn from this.

on the one hand yeah i agree but on the other the PL have let a ton of cunts buy clubs that then went bust and had no problem with city being bought lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Emirates aren't great, granted - for that matter Ashley and almost every other PL owner isn't a fit and proper person by my standards - but also aren't currently engaged in a genocide and hadn't very publicly assassinated a journalist just as they were filling out the application forms.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Reminder that the Glazers buying Man Utd through a leveraged buyout that would have caused them to do a Leeds if TV money hadn't exploded beyond belief was considered fit and proper.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Emirates aren't great, granted - for that matter Ashley and almost every other PL owner isn't a fit and proper person by my standards - but also aren't currently engaged in a genocide and hadn't very publicly assassinated a journalist just as they were filling out the application forms.

The UAE was enthusiastically involved in the war in Yemen and didn't pull out because they were upset about war crimes or genocide. Admittedly they weren't actively engaged in genocide when the fit and proper persons test was being applied prior to the City takeover but they aren't just lovely to their migrant worker underclass.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal are bad and Arteta must amble.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I'll accept Arteta going if the Kroenkes go first

Otherwise you're just dealing with the symptoms and not the root cause

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal are bad and Arteta must amble.

its going to be great watching another manager be unable to make arsenal good. hopefully its an actual good manager who gets his reputation ruined

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

its going to be great watching another manager be unable to make arsenal good. hopefully its an actual good manager who gets his reputation ruined

They're going to drive a truck full of cash to bielsas door and he'll be sacked within 6 months when he expects arsenal players to do some light cardio

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Imagine the loving weakminded nonces at Arsenal vs Bielsa. There would be mutiny within a week.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GerryCox/status/1390709125718413322

Fair play to Burnley.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

We’ll simply hire Rafa

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

this, but out pops a smiling harry redknapp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

We’ll simply hire Rafa

think eh's had enough of backroom shenanigans

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hodgson imo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheRat posted:

Reminder that the Glazers buying Man Utd through a leveraged buyout that would have caused them to do a Leeds if TV money hadn't exploded beyond belief was considered fit and proper.
I'm honestly confused why England even has a "fit and proper" test for ownership when they allow stuff like this. If you can't say no to a group of people trying to buy one of your country's most prominent clubs via a method clearly showing that they don't have the money to do it, then what's the point?

The Glazers have pulled shady poo poo with their NFL team over the years, but that's mostly been them gaming the NFL Salary Cap system to avoid spending money when they weren't competitive.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The issue with the glazer wasn’t whether they could but Manchester United. It was how they did it. Apparently there’s a level of richness you can achieve where you can buy stuff based on the promise that you’ll own it, and then you can get paid for owning it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The issue with the glazer wasn’t whether they could but Manchester United. It was how they did it. Apparently there’s a level of richness you can achieve where you can buy stuff based on the promise that you’ll own it, and then you can get paid for owning it.

Yeah the trick to a leveraged buyout isn't knowing how it's done, it's having the connections to borrow that much money.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Yeah the trick to a leveraged buyout isn't knowing how it's done, it's having the connections to borrow that much money.
Well of course. I've just still never understood how they were allowed to do it because it's lovely enough in normal business but it was especially awful in Manchester United's case and you'd think an FA that wasn't functionally worthless would be able to step in and tell them to gently caress off.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, leveraged buyouts is definitely a thing that should be banned imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Manchester United lose £200m training kit deal over fans’ anti-Glazers campaign
The Hut Group pulls out of contract starting in July, sources say
Fans are campaigning for boycott of club’s commercial partners

Manchester United have missed out on a proposed new training kit deal worth £200m over 10 years after the Manchester-based company The Hut Group had concerns about the supporters’ campaign to boycott the club’s commercial partners in protest at the Glazers’ ownership, the Observer understands.

Richard Arnold, United’s group managing director, was told on Friday that THG had pulled out of a contract which was due to start on 1 July.

The branding of Myprotein, a Cheshire firm owned by THG, was due to appear on United’s training kit and replace the branding of AON, sponsors of the club’s Carrington training centre.

Last Sunday’s supporter protest against the Glazers outside Old Trafford led to United’s game with Liverpool being postponed until the coming Thursday. THG, it is understood, was taken aback by the subsequent social media and online backlash against United’s partners.

An anonymous United fans group with the hashtag NOTAPENNYMORE launched an online campaign to boycott the club’s major partners, which include Adidas, TAG Heuer and Cadbury, and wrote an open letter to them vowing to target their products.

It is understood THG, a multibillion pound company with offices near Manchester Airport, was concerned that as a local business it would be targeted by disaffected fans in Greater Manchester.

AON’s agreement expires on 30 June, which means United may struggle to strike a new deal of similar value to that proposed with THG.

The Glazers’ move to join the now defunct European Super League heightened the supporter opposition towards the American family. There was also some disillusionment and embarrassment within the club at senior level about how the ESL breakaway was presented.

Both THG and United declined to comment, with those familiar with the deal at Old Trafford confirming there are no ongoing talks.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/08/manchester-united-lose-200m-training-kit-deal-over-fans-anti-glazers-campaign

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

:sickos:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
They'll just get a different deal with shadier sponsors for more money. Fans will gnash their teeth and write angry tweets and put out dramatic tiktoks and nothing will happen

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if they can keep loving with home games they've got a chance at driving out the glazers at least, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/amarjourno/status/1391282663789670407?s=20