Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

For the love of god please stop trying to get people to provide role information on Day 1. This will not help the town.

See THIS feels like you’re trying to show a town mentality while not actually scumhunting. Telling everyone to keep their information to themselves isn’t always the best play. We should not be massclaiming D1 but you’re acting like anyone revealing any info is automatically anti-town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

do you really think the fact that I’m the only 1,1 to choose mason is that loving powerful of a piece of information that I’m SCUM for saying it?

Where, if I *was* scum, scum would already loving know this and be clued into it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy doesn’t think I’m scum he thinks I’m incorrect and is trying to push me as scum for it

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

No? First post I told everyone what I was going to pick and I stuck with that. This feels like forced hand-wringing, I’m not even sure you think I’m scum. You think I’m forcing a town mentality early on D1 by bringing a somewhat jokey, somewhat serious point to the attention of thread?
If I put myself in your position, I would be thinking "I have the #6 draft choice, which makes me a contender for a powerful role that can catch scum. I do not want to give the scum any insight into what role I might have." I'm suspicious that you wouldn't have that same thought.

The de facto assumption that one of the 1,1's might be scum seems like a contrived and meaningless effort to show scumhuntery.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

See THIS feels like you’re trying to show a town mentality while not actually scumhunting. Telling everyone to keep their information to themselves isn’t always the best play. We should not be massclaiming D1 but you’re acting like anyone revealing any info is automatically anti-town.
IT IS ANTI TOWN ON DAY 1.

Don't reveal role information just for funsies what the gently caress man.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

IT IS ANTI TOWN ON DAY 1.

Don't reveal role information just for funsies what the gently caress man.

this feels like you’re upset with me for playing incorrectly, do you actually think I’m scum?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This feels very very contrived from dy but I don’t think he’s scum. I think it’s just early D1 and he can’t understand why I’d claim that so it’s shorting his brain out and he has to think I’m scum

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

dy. posted:

For the love of god please stop trying to get people to provide role information on Day 1. This will not help the town.

I'm really not concerned by people saying if they're unconfirmed masons or not.... it's an incredibly weak role.

More so than that, if they stated they were going to choose that role before getting their alignment, then decided to do something different after learning their alignment, that could mean something. Your cost/benefit analysis doesn't makes sense here.

All that being said, if they were straight up joking then whatevs. I don't need to take pregame posts seriously, but it's at least something worth asking about to gauge reaction.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'm going to claim cop, to drive dy. to madness and destruction.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

CCKeane posted:

This is the way.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

So this is the last thing I'll say on the topic so I don't completely monopolize this conversation: this is not a normal setup. You providing your role information is a direct hint as to what the people above and below you on the list could have chosen. The players at the top of the draft order are particularly important because they are more likely to be powerful roles. You're not just making a (bad) decision to reveal your own role information, you're also making a (bad) decision to disclose the role information of others.

Before you claimed:

The best information the scum had would lead them to believe that you, Grandicap, Toalpaz, and merk were likely to choose mason and not be a huge threat to the scum. They would feel the most threatened by you. In the #6 draft slot, there is a reasonable chance you could have picked something else. You could have, at the very least, eaten a nightkill that could have hit someone more powerful.

After you claimed:

The best information the scum have would lead them to believe that you are mason and not much of a threat to them. They can focus their nightkill somewhere else. They know that the other 1,1's are not masons and could be a more powerful role.

Sandwolf posted:

this feels like you're upset with me for playing incorrectly, do you actually think I'm scum?
The thing that tips you in the directly of scummy for me is your suggestion that the other 1,1's are scum because they didn't pick mason. Softclaiming to pick mason in the pregame and then going for a more powerful role strikes me as a smart town move and not something at all to be suspicious of.

To be fair, I think I do this with you in every game, but it's the best I got right now.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

CCKeane posted:

it will work, I'm about 85% there right now

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

You’re good dy, I see your argument I just don’t get how it makes me scum, again, it seems like you’re just unhappy with my play from a practical standpoint.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Things are getting a little too hot and heavy, hahaha. We don't even know if there are any scum this game.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Cop, I'm cop, I have the night action of "investigate", Voodoofly is a liar about that role not being in the game.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Also lol if you think the scumteam is gonna put that kind of effort into finding specific power roles in a game where everyone is likely to have a power role.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Voodoofly posted:

[*]The total number of scum will not be revealed. There may or may not be third parties.

We're in a game with no other faction, I'm willing to bet. hehehe.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Toalpaz posted:

Things are getting a little too hot and heavy, hahaha. We don't even know if there are any scum this game.

god that'd be hilarious

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Anyway I feel like Solus was just shooting wildly and then was going to let a scumbuddy retreat with some "Well no way scum would shoot like that!!!!" Or some nonsense. Feels bad to me!

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Toalpaz posted:

Eh something about this post I don’t like

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

You’re good dy, I see your argument I just don’t get how it makes me scum, again, it seems like you’re just unhappy with my play from a practical standpoint.
I can at least rest comfortably with the knowledge that I'm either right about you being scum or right about you playing poorly.

Sandwolf posted:

Also lol if you think the scumteam is gonna put that kind of effort into finding specific power roles in a game where everyone is likely to have a power role.
Uhh, absolutely, if they care at all about the game. Maybe I'm setup-obsessed but if I were scum my #1 priority would be identifying the Party Host and Dramatic Bodyguard. Those are basically minesweeper mines for nightkills and have a very good chance of outing scum. I'd also be very concerned about the Murder Mind and Armorer.

When I was drafting I did a lot of thinking about each role. It was really hard to choose.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

I can at least rest comfortably with the knowledge that I'm either right about you being scum or right about you playing poorly.

Uhh, absolutely, if they care at all about the game. Maybe I'm setup-obsessed but if I were scum my #1 priority would be identifying the Party Host and Dramatic Bodyguard. Those are basically minesweeper mines for nightkills and have a very good chance of outing scum. I'd also be very concerned about the Murder Mind and Armorer.

When I was drafting I did a lot of thinking about each role. It was really hard to choose.

How does scum knowing one person is a mason and four people aren’t masons help them find those roles? Sure they know they don’t have to NK me but I’m like 6th on tier. There’s no way of even knowing if the top draft pickers were scum or town!

Basically all I did was maybe lower my own chances of being NKed and slightly raised that of the other 1,1s, but I’ve hardly helped narrow down who has power roles or which power roles they have. They know no one above me picked Mason E. Great.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Cop, I'm cop, I have the night action of "investigate", Voodoofly is a liar about that role not being in the game.

literally me irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wait wait wait

dy, if I’m scum, how could I be scummy in thread for revealing that info?

If I’m scum, scum already know that info, so sharing it with the town would be anti-scum.

Your own case on me isn’t even consistent that I’m scum. You’re pushing a case on someone that requires them to be town in order to be scummy.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

How does scum knowing one person is a mason and four people aren’t masons help them find those roles? Sure they know they don’t have to NK me but I’m like 6th on tier. There’s no way of even knowing if the top draft pickers were scum or town!

Basically all I did was maybe lower my own chances of being NKed and slightly raised that of the other 1,1s, but I’ve hardly helped narrow down who has power roles or which power roles they have. They know no one above me picked Mason E. Great.
Before your claim, you were the 6th most likely person to have a role that could find scum. When deciding who to kill, you would be pretty high on the list. Now you're way down the list and the scum have a better chance of hitting a more powerful town power role.

I don't really know how to make my point any clearer so maybe we should put this discussion to bed for now. It's the same reason it's a bad idea for half of a town to claim "not cop" or something. It only helps the scum. The idea of more of the town doing it scares me.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I picked (4,8) and got Vanilla town...so...yay?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

SalTheBard posted:

I picked (4,8) and got Vanilla town...so...yay?

Oh poo poo Sal run, dy’s gonna decapitate you

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

It only helps the scum. The idea of more of the town doing it scares me.

It only helps the scum if I’m NOT scum, though, lol

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Because if I am scum, bringing that info to thread doesn’t help the scum, because they already know.

Your case on me requires me to be town in order to be helping the scum inadvertently.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Wait wait wait

dy, if I’m scum, how could I be scummy in thread for revealing that info?

If I’m scum, scum already know that info, so sharing it with the town would be anti-scum.

Your own case on me isn’t even consistent that I’m scum. You’re pushing a case on someone that requires them to be town in order to be scummy.
Sandwolf I like you as a person but I'm starting to doubt your capacity to think about stuff like this.

If you were scum, you would reveal that because it doesn't really matter to you. The idea of safeguarding information for the betterment of the town doesn't occur to you because it's not part of your thought process because you don't care about it.

.random
May 7, 2007

I agree that the claim from Sandwolf doesn’t particularly help town and may slightly help scum but as Sandwolf said, it’s a sign of bad play not of scum play.

So. Yeah. People shouldn’t claim. And we should move on.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I like you as a person too dy! I’m not sure why that’s relevant to this conversation at all though :)

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

It only helps the scum if I’m NOT scum, though, lol
I am also trying to caution the rest of the town to stop claiming.

It is not working.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

I am also trying to caution the rest of the town to stop claiming.

It is not working.

so you admit you’re pushing a case on town??

##vote dy.

.random
May 7, 2007

dy. posted:

If you were scum, you would reveal that because it doesn't really matter to you. The idea of safeguarding information for the betterment of the town doesn't occur to you because it's not part of your thought process because you don't care about it.

Ok, I dig this. But I personally don’t know if I’m smart enough to play at this level of mental acuity - or rather, sufficiently able to think about it to the exclusion of wanting to post something stupid D1 which I so do love to do - so I am trying to apply this to my read about Sandwolf as well

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf you are breaking my brain

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

##unvote

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I just think you know I’m not scum and I’ve tried to illustrate that a couple times but you’ve doubled down on this vote twice and I still don’t see how I’m scum, you just keep pointing to suboptimal play in the hopes that it’s scummy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

I like you as a person too dy! I’m not sure why that’s relevant to this conversation at all though :)

Sandwolf I dislike you as a person but i'm not sure that's relevant to this conversation at all

##vote sandwolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ilmucche posted:

Sandwolf I dislike you as a person but i'm not sure that's relevant to this conversation at all

##vote sandwolf

lunch all liars