Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spite posted:

yeah it's all kind of a mess in the end imo
But does ASTRA even exist? The timeline doesn't work - that house is straight out of the 90's. My initial thought was that Selene is still a kid and she's imagining the entire thing. She clearly loves sci-fi stories, you can read some in the house interludes and all the datalogs eventually turn into snippets of some sci-fi seeming thing.
I took the astronaut being a very heavy handed manifestation of her guilt. Her mom won't be able to go to space and she thinks it's her fault, etc.
No idea what White Shadow is? The astronaut like people have said, I guess?
Why does 'this' Selene retain her memories?
Are the sci-fi stories and datalogs from something else?

I really enjoyed the game but man they did not stick the landing at all imo.
Not every surreal thing needs to be occurrence at owl creek bridge.

the existence of ASTRA is pretty foggy. the interview voicelog (which is probably where selene scuttles her chances at nomination, since she starts off confident and then turns into a stammering mess when the subject of her deceased family is brought up) does corroborate the "one-way journey beyond the reaches of the galaxy" summary of ASTRA that we read on helios. selene did have a highly active imagination (and those meds she took as an adult probably had something to do with keeping herself grounded later), but those voicelogs are so vague and mundane that i have to assume they're meant to be glimpses into reality. but then it brings up a whole other heap of contradictions. like you said, it's a mess

hard doubt on her still being a child at the time events take place, though. what really kicks selene's mental deterioration into overdrive isn't the crash but her matricide, which is why the latter is locked behind the true ending requirements, and that could only have feasibly happened when she was much older

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Oxxidation posted:

the existence of ASTRA is pretty foggy. the interview voicelog (which is probably where selene scuttles her chances at nomination, since she starts off confident and then turns into a stammering mess when the subject of her deceased family is brought up) does corroborate the "one-way journey beyond the reaches of the galaxy" summary of ASTRA that we read on helios. selene did have a highly active imagination (and those meds she took as an adult probably had something to do with keeping herself grounded later), but those voicelogs are so vague and mundane that i have to assume they're meant to be glimpses into reality. but then it brings up a whole other heap of contradictions. like you said, it's a mess

hard doubt on her still being a child at the time events take place, though. what really kicks selene's mental deterioration into overdrive isn't the crash but her matricide, which is why the latter is locked behind the true ending requirements, and that could only have feasibly happened when she was much older

Isn't the monster is still breathing on the ground when she turns away? Would have to watch it again. The monster is pregnant so maybe she causes a miscarriage? Or perhaps that's her killing her mom and her brother?

I completely agree it would have been way more interesting for her to find alien Cthulhu on some planet and resonate with it such that it destroys an entire civilization.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Spite posted:

yeah it's all kind of a mess in the end imo
But does ASTRA even exist? The timeline doesn't work - that house is straight out of the 90's. My initial thought was that Selene is still a kid and she's imagining the entire thing. She clearly loves sci-fi stories, you can read some in the house interludes and all the datalogs eventually turn into snippets of some sci-fi seeming thing.
I took the astronaut being a very heavy handed manifestation of her guilt. Her mom won't be able to go to space and she thinks it's her fault, etc.
No idea what White Shadow is? The astronaut like people have said, I guess?
Why does 'this' Selene retain her memories?
Are the sci-fi stories and datalogs from something else?

I really enjoyed the game but man they did not stick the landing at all imo.
Not every surreal thing needs to be occurrence at owl creek bridge.

This whole story is a mess. I'm going with Selene is a kid imagining all this and playing the game part on her PS5. The bedroom is named Helios it's her safe space. There was an accident and she blames herself, sees her imaginary friend/toy the astronaut.

I gave this game a week couldn't find the fragment in the depths and gently caress doing the plat with all the randomness for the other cheevos. Just watched the non-ending of the true ending on youtube and deleted this turd of PS5.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Is there a way to change the daily challenge tier or are you always locked to the hardest one you've unlocked?

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Not a Children posted:

I've hit something of a wall on Biome 3. I find myself torn between scouring biome 1 to build up my artifacts and health and just rushing to biome 3 for another attempt. Do I invest 40 minutes in prep to maybe get blown up by a few bad drone-rocket barrages or rush it and maybe get sandbagged because I don't have any good artifact synergy?

The drones didn't bother me at first but it does really suck how hard those rockets are to avoid and how much damage they do. There aren't any other mobs that are quite that hard to handle if you get 4+ caught in the open.

I just killed the boss in Biome 3 my first time fighting him but before I got to him I died probably like 10 times just loving around on my way through the biome.

Something that really helped me not get prematurely murdered on my way to the boss was remembering that you don’t have to clear a room if you don’t want to. Like I don’t mean you don’t have to explore everything, I mean I was literally going “nope” and moving on if I felt like the fight was too risky or I was just gonna get bombarded. Enemies can’t open doors.

Even when a room locks down, it’ll usually unlock if you do a certain amount of fighting without fully clearing the room.

Biome 3 boss fight was cool as poo poo. So much panic thinking I’m not gonna find a spot to grapple to in time. First time I felt like I was getting gud at weaving through bullet hells too.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So am I to understand that the tree monsters are in fact corpses of other Selenes reanimated by the masses of silphium bonded to them over the course of their journeys? This game is pretty cool with all the micro-ideas that are so spooky and interesting. Too bad it struggles to bring them together in the end.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Attestant posted:

That's basically what happened to me as well. After beating zone 3, I somehow cruised past zone 4 and then promptly ate poo poo in 5. And now I can barely dent 4.

I've just given myself the interim goal of focusing on learning new weapon abilities, to gain some new edge there.

I was able to do it by playing extremely safe at the start until I got a nice gun and took some risks with malignant items. If you get thrown on your back foot from the start it’s probably worth starting over. 4-6 enemies hit so hard that if you don’t have a chunk of the 2nd life bar and ideally some protection, one slip up will kill you.

I have a thing that makes parasite effects more potent and I picked up a parasite the lowers malfunction probability but also makes malfunctions worse... p sure I’m too afraid to gamble with it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So I used a translocation sphere four times in a row because the parasite that gives 25% to retain a consumable on use procced three times in a row I guess. It did indeed generate a new secret room each time.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Anyone having trouble in Biome 3, dont be afraid to just run from the rocket drones if they overwhelm, make liberal use of the grapple points since you cannot take damage during the grapple and there is no cooldown so they're basically free dodges, use doors and pillars to break line of sight, don't try to melee anything except the shielded turrets.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh also, I've discovered that under certain exceptional circumstances you actually can get doors to delay because the area behind them is still loading, although you've got to be quick about it. Admirably, the game prioritises movement above fidelity and will open the door as soon as the geometry on the other side is available, about a second before the textures load in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fedule posted:

So I used a translocation sphere four times in a row because the parasite that gives 25% to retain a consumable on use procced three times in a row I guess. It did indeed generate a new secret room each time.

There are multiple effects that give you a chance to not use up an expendable item. Now I wonder if you can stack enough of them to create a Binding of Isaac-style infinite resources / every artifact run by using a translocation orb unlimited times.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does doing house sequences make the game more difficult from that point on? I had interpreted that as being the meaning of the dice you pick up in the house each time, but maybe not.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

PantsBandit posted:

Does doing house sequences make the game more difficult from that point on? I had interpreted that as being the meaning of the dice you pick up in the house each time, but maybe not.

I definitely felt like I was seeing new rooms in B1 that seemed suited to experienced players after doing the post-B2 house sequence, but that could all be in my head.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Had the game hard lock up my system today. Wasn't doing anything abnormal, but the sound cut out and then the whole thing froze. I was able to access the system menu, but when I tried to close the game through that it got stuck. Had to pull the power cord to get it to shut down. Not ideal. As good a time as I'm having, I think I might shelve this for a bit until they get a few more of these bugs worked out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Was totally cruising through biome 5 laying waste to everything and died anyway to what I can only describe as gross hubris.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Rolled the last boss with a *19 rot lobber. Caustic rot is worth several pips of damage all by itself. There was no way I was gonna switch to another gun, not even the hollow seeker.

It’s funny how wrong I was earlier in the thread when I said this game wasn’t very build based and more about gun and platformer skill. I finished both act 1 and 2 with basically unbeatable, nearly invincible builds.

This game is excellent. On to the secret ending! RE8 will need to wait.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Went through 5 and 6. Great game. Don't know what the gently caress happened but I'm going to keep playing and find out!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What exactly are the requirements for the Survey activities for each area?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fedule posted:

What exactly are the requirements for the Survey activities for each area?

voicelogs, xenoglyph ciphers, and holograph exhibits

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

voicelogs, xenoglyph ciphers, and holograph exhibits

I really wish the game would force the ones you haven't discovered yet. Doesn't even have to be one of each, just do either 1 log or 1 cipher. I'll do a bunch more runs because the game is rad but it'd be nice to grab the platinum without being at the mercy of the rng.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've done at least 20 runs through biome 1 after act 3 and still haven't found one log i'm missing from it, i'm two cyphers away on Biome 2 in the same amount of runs, I swear i've seen every single room and am scouring every wall for them even though there is usually a symbol for them. Missing one cypher from biome 6 as well

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Fix posted:

Had the game hard lock up my system today. Wasn't doing anything abnormal, but the sound cut out and then the whole thing froze. I was able to access the system menu, but when I tried to close the game through that it got stuck. Had to pull the power cord to get it to shut down. Not ideal. As good a time as I'm having, I think I might shelve this for a bit until they get a few more of these bugs worked out.

The exact thing happened to me once. Don't pull the power cord - you can force shut down the PS5 by holding down the power button for a *really* long time (as in like 20 seconds long).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if anyone could post the full translation of the final xenoglyph (the one that requires 90 ciphers) it'd be appreciated, that's the only significant bit of content that i'm still missing and would rather not constantly reroll rooms for the ciphers needed to decrypt it myself

the level 3 data entries for monsters/items are all completely mystifying. what the hell is all this text? they look like excerpts from a much longer novel but don't appear connected to anything in the game

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Well beat the game. It's true, running 4-6 straight through isn't nearly as difficult as say going 1-3 which I haven't even tried nor will. I think it's mainly because weapons get pretty OP along with the pylon gun, while enemy difficulty generally stays the same. Pretty awesome game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For anyone else dumb like me, the orange doors aren't a special unlock, they open if you have the blade balancer sword artifact - often shows up in the first main shop, can show up elsewhere I believe

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think i'm turning into Selene IRL because I am literally running through the first two Biomes going crazy looking for one audio log in biome 1 and two cyphers in biome 2 that I swear don't exist and i'm pretty sure i've seen every single variation of every room and ran across every single wall, I want to believe it's some kind of bug that isn't letting them spawn for me.

And i've gotten 100% data on Phrike Ixion and Nemesis which required like 12 kills each

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just did 1-3 exploring with all the traversal gear. I had 180% protection and 380%hp at the end lol. Suffice to say it was very easy.

I basically went no hit until the second boss then I noticed he was doing chip damage to me lol

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I finally managed to make it past Ixion, gently caress. I'm so glad to make some goddamn progress, I was starting to get extremely disheartened.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

orenronen posted:

The exact thing happened to me once. Don't pull the power cord - you can force shut down the PS5 by holding down the power button for a *really* long time (as in like 20 seconds long).

A-thankyew. I did not know that.

Clipped into a wall/behind some vines during a miniboss fight tonight. Luckily I managed to keep his attention so he could melee me to death so I wouldn't lose all the ether I'd collected. Can't say that was an hour well spent, all told. Finished off B4 with the previous hour, which was magnificent.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of wrote off the rotgland lobber at first for being too novel but it's honestly ridiculous especially if it has some pips in damage and explosive rot. it can one or 2 shot some of the spongier enemies. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite weapons.

Also, on my first or second run I found the Resin enchancer and wrote it off because I had no idea how important resin was, then never saw it again until my current run. and holy moly that's gotta be one of the most powerful artifacts in the game. I wish it wasn't so unbelievably rare (or I'm just unlucky) because I have seen it exactly twice.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
There is one artifact that gives you the life siphon buff and it makes the rest of the biomes a breeeze

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
one other ending note
the credits list 'selene' and 'helios' as the only two speaking characters. so helios is the kid (and that's the name on the door) and she's the mom? the game's clearly trying to push guilt and abandonment and it's very on the nose to print HELIOS ABANDONED every time you leave the first room. They have all the greek myth references and Helios is Selene's brother, not sun. So I dunno what they really going for.

The game is fun as hell to play though, I'll give them that.

veni veni veni posted:

I kind of wrote off the rotgland lobber at first for being too novel but it's honestly ridiculous especially if it has some pips in damage and explosive rot. it can one or 2 shot some of the spongier enemies. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite weapons.

Also, on my first or second run I found the Resin enchancer and wrote it off because I had no idea how important resin was, then never saw it again until my current run. and holy moly that's gotta be one of the most powerful artifacts in the game. I wish it wasn't so unbelievably rare (or I'm just unlucky) because I have seen it exactly twice.

Once you get to biome 3 things start doing so much damage that protection makes a bigger difference unless you build up a huge amount of health, imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Having ~40% protection, +10% protection when alt is down and the +15% protection at low HP artefact got me to the end. When the chips were down I could just break out the sword and fight my way out of it because it made trading with hard enemies not just possible but totally worth it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Right as i'm about to give up finding the ciphers I find a unique area and find one and apparently it's the last one for the trophy or it's a weird bug.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Hit the credits! Stacking protection is a really powerful defensive tool, and I didn't really have too much trouble with the final biome. I did make the mistake of taking a pretty low damage hollowseeker I was unlocking a trait on for the final boss, and it was a slog.

Still, good enough time, and time to finish the post game stuff next.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Now that I beat the game, I did a run from biomes 1-3 and didn't die once. Keep at it, it gets easier with weapon unlocks, recognizing good artifacts, etc, etc.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope they do some sort of DLC, maybe a randomizer or something. I'm going for the platinum now and there really isn't a lot of game once you get good at it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

one other ending note
the credits list 'selene' and 'helios' as the only two speaking characters. so helios is the kid (and that's the name on the door) and she's the mom?

Holy poo poo THANK YOU I am so happy someone said this I was literally reading ”Helios is the name of her bedroom! :downs::downs: so many times I thought I was gonna lose it

Got the true ending and I think Oxxidation is right about basically everything including that the direction they went in is disappointing. Excellent individual scenes and bits of writing that unfortunately don’t add up to the sum of their parts.

My interpretation is that yes, unfortunately it’s a death dream thing. All of Selene’s trauma, her relationship with her mother and worry that she is continuing the sins of the mother (get it?????) by being a bad mother to her son, etc, intertwining and combining in her subconscious as she lays on the side of the road. Selene is the creator/destroyer because she gave birth to her son and is now responsible for his death - which, imo, is why she is the astronaut at the end. I don’t know if she actually did kill Theia or not, but I see where Oxx is coming from with that.

There are still questions and elements that mean it could be real, for sure (what do people think the big monster under the water is or represents?), but for me the evidence points OVERWHELMINGLY to this interpretation.

I still like the story overall, just because there were so many scenes that made me sit up like WHAT, but I do wish they’d taken it in a different direction. Game as a whole is fuckin great, though, even if my fight to get the item in biome 6 broke me worse than anything in any From game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Update is out. Do Housemarque publish patch notes? (Sony seem to have also killed patch notes as a console feature, which also sucks)

E: it appears to just be 1.3.3 again except it doesn't eat your save anymore.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So yeah, that true ending. Clear as mud, ain't it? Pretty sure I agree with most posters here on the broad strokes, but it is simultaneously a bit too vague and a bit too predictable, somehow. A regret-fueled nightmare hallucination as she's dying (or possibly falling into late-stage dementia) sounds about right though.

Now I just have to... find a bunch of missing glyphs. And find the rot globber in the first place.