Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

dokmo posted:

if i can put on my analyst hat for a moment, what matters is not whether a player gets a rebound, but whether a team gets a rebound. on defensive rebounds, the player getting the rebound is adding only small marginal value, because if he didn't get it, there are 2 or 3 teammates in good position to get it.
I've often wondered about this. "Man, [power forward] has been ballin out lately, averaging 14 RPG which is almost 30% above his average!" uh-huh, and which way is the center's RPG trending? Is he therefore not playing as well? Makes me think about measuring a player's RPG vs. the +/- of the team's RPG, like what happens to team rebounds/100poss or whatever when the guy's on or off the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

NBA’s Play-In Tournament Likely Here To Stay
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/nbas-play-in-tournament-likely-here-to-stay.html

MourningView posted:

"I don't know what people are saying but they're wrong" hell yeah

One of those unfortunate truisms.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Makes sense to me. Vooch is one of the most all around players in the league. It's a straight up one point for every point, rebound, assist, steal or block and one deducted for misses, misses at the line, or turnovers.

It kind of makes sense. I would not have thought he'd be the third most coveted Avenger recruit this year. I would've thought it'd go to an MVP candidate at first glance.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

some space of time

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1390774643657691141?s=20

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/chris-webber-tnt-future-marv-albert-out-replacements/
Announcer News: Mayce Edward Christopher Webber III may not be back on TNT after this year. Most of you guys don't like him, I never found him that objectionable.

Booo

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/chris-webber-tnt-future-marv-albert-out-replacements/
Announcer News: Mayce Edward Christopher Webber III may not be back on TNT after this year. Most of you guys don't like him, I never found him that objectionable.

yeah, he's boring but i'll take that over the dozens of actively annoying announcers on tnt or espn

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

rivetz posted:

I've often wondered about this. "Man, [power forward] has been ballin out lately, averaging 14 RPG which is almost 30% above his average!" uh-huh, and which way is the center's RPG trending? Is he therefore not playing as well? Makes me think about measuring a player's RPG vs. the +/- of the team's RPG, like what happens to team rebounds/100poss or whatever when the guy's on or off the floor.

This stat is Team Rebounding % and has existed for many years. I first became aware of it way back when people were trying to figure out why the Lopez brothers had such few rebounds but their teams were consistently good-to-great rebounding teams. Their team's rebounding % while they were on the court was always massive. That was when people started noticing they played like ogres while on the boards and frequently blocked out two people at a time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

welp

time to see what Lonzo can do without Ingram or Zion taking shots from him!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I love Russell Westbrook and one of his performances was the best I've seen in person, went to a wizards game years ago when I lived in DC and russ was still on the thunder. Wiz were up literally the entire game until Westbrook hit a game-winning 3 at the end. Wish I was still in DC to see him play in person again. Russ rules

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In the 2020 poll voters selected the Lakers to be the 7 seed but they ended up as the 1 seed.

In the 2021 poll voters selected the Suns to be the 7 seed and they could finish as the 1 seed.

In the 2022 poll I will see who voters select as the 7 seed for the west and then place a very large bet on them to win the title.

MourningView posted:

I wonder how many quadruple doubles he would have had that year if they'd bothered to track blocks

25 QDs. And one quintuple double.

rivetz posted:

Makes me think about measuring a player's RPG vs. the +/- of the team's RPG, like what happens to team rebounds/100poss or whatever when the guy's on or off the floor.

This year when RW is on the court the Wizards have a 24.5% ORB%. When he sits the ORB% goes up to 26.2%.

:rip: RWs rebounding accolades.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rebounding is something you take for granted until your team is trash rear end at it.

Hello Mavs, you're doing much better at it than you were these past few years.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/1390783150737956871

He's right.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If anyone wants to watch the video instead of reading excerpts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-Plkijev0

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

if only there was something david griffin could have done so that zion wasn't going up against 4 defenders in the paint every possession.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

kingcobweb posted:

I did a double take when I realized he didn't mean that Wright had clearly lost his mind

Nick just crafted all these narratives for LeBron to be MVP and his biggest adversary for doing it would be Jokic. Now that LeBron isn't in the running he still has to spin this elaborate narrative he created somewhere.

He was pretty transparent about it on Le Batard a few months ago. Hell, his argument then was we should give LBJ extra points for producing in the playoffs the year before.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Katana_Warrior posted:

if only there was something david griffin could have done so that zion wasn't going up against 4 defenders in the paint every possession.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
LeBron probably should have 10 MVPs but I don't think he should get it this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

LeBron probably should have 10 MVPs but I don't think he should get it this year.

Yeah . They should name the award after him

Giving it to Jokic in this context is extremely blasphemous

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What would be a funnier first round upset Knicks over Nets or Wizards over Nets?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Spacebump posted:

What would be a funnier first round upset Knicks over Nets or Wizards over Nets?

Wizards by far. Russell Westbrook with the ultimate revenge series is the best outcome the league has had on option since I can remember.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Wizards knocking out the Nets would be second only to a Portland title to me at this point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you think Jokic is mvp why isn’t Russ ? I have no idea where then nba writers are coming from other than obvious motivations

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

euphronius posted:

If you think Jokic is mvp why isn’t Russ ? I have no idea where then nba writers are coming from other than obvious motivations

MourningView posted:

truly bizarre a real mystery how anyone could arrive at this conclusion

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s exactly my point

It’s turning into a different award

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You didn’t quote wins and playoff seeding

I wonder why not.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

That’s exactly my point

im not sure you even know what your point is

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Euphronius the liquid you find at home depot isn't juice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

im not sure you even know what your point is

The mvp award is changing from most valuable player to most valuable fantasy player who writers identify with

I can’t say it any clearer

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He’s leaning into his gimmick

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I honestly can't tell any more

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

That’s exactly my point

:magemage:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

You didn’t quote wins and playoff seeding

I wonder why not.

The nuggets have effectively the same record as the 76ers lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I honestly can't tell any more

If you are at all being honest Chris Paul has been a more valuable player than Jokic this year

Paul is only one of a few

I understand liking Jokic for aesthetic reasons or because he fills up a box score

I get it

He’s really good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

The nuggets have effectively the same record as the 76ers lmao

Jokic is having a more valuable season than Embiid

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

euphronius posted:

The mvp award is changing from most valuable player to most valuable fantasy player who writers identify with

I can’t say it any clearer

It’s true, no player is more similar to the average basketball writer than Giannis Antetokounmpo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Algund Eenboom posted:

It’s true, nobody is more similar to the average basketball writer than Giannis Antetokounmpo

[giannis strides across the court in four steps, dunking over a 7 foot tall 300 pound man without breaking a sweat] he’s just like me

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
There have been like 8 guys this season that rotate when Jokic is mentioned as MVP. "Yeah Jokic is good, but what about XXXXX."

He's survived them all. You can keep stomping on it, but it's all give. It just stays mush. You can't build it up, but you can't break it down either. In a funny way, mush has the edge.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

[giannis strides across the court in four steps, dunking over a 7 foot tall 300 pound man without breaking a sweat] he’s just like me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s going to win no doubt

Edit
To be clear he’s going to win the mvp
Not the finals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Declan MacManus posted: