Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

A few less megagoogaplexes and more single screen theaters please.

Edit: And have you ever noticed how hard it is to get a cuppa coffee I mean cmon people!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

The simple solution would be to turn off your phone/laptop/tablet until the movie is over. Or put them in a different room. Lmao.

I have adhd so this is really hard for me.

I saw Godzilla Vs Kong and it was fun because I caught a lot of little fun stuff I missed because I get distracted.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

bewilderment posted:

Also it's funny that some people are calling Katie being a lesbian an 'end of movie quick line reveal' when it's clear throughout the movie, she uses rainbows all over her art, etc. Even in the first five minutes I thought it was incredibly obvious. Like even without her pride pin this is probably the most lesbian character design I've ever seen.

edit:
Lol I just double checked, this screenshot with Katie saying she's "always felt a little... different" pops up like 3 minutes into the movie, it's not hidden at all.

With the way she writes on her hand I kept thinking of Chloe Price from Life Is Strange, but with more manageable daddy issues.

Another character who lives in a world that looks like it's made entirely of concept art.

Edit: Also, from this very thread last week:

paradoxGentleman posted:

I sincerely hope that a movie like you are describing (a puppy love sort of thing with homoromantic characters) happens within our lifetimes, but I am not feeling optimistic.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 6, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't really think of theaters as an experience, it's more a community thing. and it will heavily depend on your community

with animated movies the experience i often had on the east coast was multiple babies screaming at the same time, kids running up and down the aisles, and half the adults looking at their brightly-lit phones.

if you live in a city or have an alamo drafthouse or whatever, obviously it'll be different. but for me, the only thing i lost by watching a movie at home is that i can't spend $15 on a small soda and single package of twizzlers. and yeah not everyone can afford to go to the theater to watch movies. it's only after moving to a major city that i even ended up finding a second run theater. i wonder how it's doing, given how 2020 was.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FunkyAl posted:

The show is all cycles and tricks until TMS gets to it

Okay so I dropped the thread last summer (my posts in it afterwards have been just me popping in thread relevant stuff I thought was interesting with no real context of the surrounding convo) and have only just now started catching up but even though this is from a convo from a few months back and no one's gonna give a poo poo I have to speak up

TMS didn't animate the late 90s tv specials (Zombie Island, Witch's Ghost, Alien Invaders, and Cyber Chase), Mook (aka the japanese studio on Swat Kats) did

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

One of my favorite movie theater experiences ever was Sonic the Hedgehog's midcredits stinger where they introduce Tails. I'm talking like Avengers Endgame level noise. Do I miss the theater? Yeah. But I beat COVID twice already. I'm fully vaccinated now, but I'm not comfortable risking it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
People should be forced to interact with strangers and sometimes with people they do not get along with. Hence theaters, carnivals, the zoo, bart's moon party in outer space, and so on.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Okay so I dropped the thread last summer (my posts in it afterwards have been just me popping in thread relevant stuff I thought was interesting with no real context of the surrounding convo) and have only just now started catching up but even though this is from a convo from a few months back and no one's gonna give a poo poo I have to speak up

TMS didn't animate the late 90s tv specials (Zombie Island, Witch's Ghost, Alien Invaders, and Cyber Chase), Mook (aka the japanese studio on Swat Kats) did

You did the right thing by speaking up.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is there any way to force Michael Bay watch TMvTM over and over until he can understand how to animate action? That was the thing that I kept noticing during the movie, how all the action was so easy to follow and made so much sense. My daughter was very happy that I kept pointing it out to her during the movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I feel like half of Bay's issues during action is the character designs he goes with are so overwrought its hard to make sense of them on screen. I've seen some shots in Transformers that are actually very nicely choreographed but becasue of the robot's complexity it totally loses the graphic shapes and color delineation that helps animated action read so well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's honestly amazing how bad Bay and Snyder to a lesser extent is at making it easy to flow to the eye, stuff that look great in stills are muddling in action. I remember having seen Bayformers, so much blur, then comparing to Miller's Fury Road with all kinds of car stunts, that massive sand storm, and the chain fight, all those fight scenes were both amazing and extremely easy to follow.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'll take either of those 2 over the farmed out action sequences we get in the majority of action films these days

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

It's honestly amazing how bad Bay and Snyder to a lesser extent is at making it easy to flow to the eye, stuff that look great in stills are muddling in action. I remember having seen Bayformers, so much blur, then comparing to Miller's Fury Road with all kinds of car stunts, that massive sand storm, and the chain fight, all those fight scenes were both amazing and extremely easy to follow.

A lot of it has to do with how the action is shot and edited. Lindsay Ellis actually has a video on Bay's work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-6M7IbNSI

The tl;dr is that, among other things, the focus of the action in Bay's movies move around all over the place, and will jump across the screen during cuts. This is inherently exhausting and confusing, as it makes it harder to keep track of the action—especially when things are moving fast and there's lots of cuts (As Bay loves to do). Action in Fury Road, for instance, is all focused around the center of the screen, ensuring that your eyes will always be where George Miller wants them to be. (Miller was also a big fan of overcranking and undercranking the framerate to make certain actions seem faster and slower, again with the aim towards making things as clear to the audience as possible). (Fury Road is a very, very well-made film)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I went back and re-watched Armageddon recently and it really perfectly embodies what’s wrong with Bay’s style. Like, he’s refined it since, but back then it was turbocharged. Literally no sense of pacing or flow, just every single moment in every single scene shot for maximum intensity regardless of what’s actually going on. It was hilarious.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
yes

YES

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
"recommended for mature audiences"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished my Korra rewatch. Season 4 has its issues (can’t believe the network curtailed their budget to the extent they were forced to do a clip show episode) but the action is still top notch. The fights with Kuvira are amazingly well choreographed. Such excellent flow and impact. It should have had the opportunity to go out just a bit stronger with more time to spend on every character but what they managed was still impressive. Oh that subtext at the end...

Really curious where the upcoming Avatar media will take us. The technology at the end of Korra is already starting to make bending look obsolete, but at the same time I love that setting so much I don’t want them to regress centuries into the past... but I’m similarly uninterested in seeing adventures that take place between Last Airbender and Korra. Hmm

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ccs posted:

Really curious where the upcoming Avatar media will take us. The technology at the end of Korra is already starting to make bending look obsolete, but at the same time I love that setting so much I don’t want them to regress centuries into the past... but I’m similarly uninterested in seeing adventures that take place between Last Airbender and Korra. Hmm
Increasing mixture of bending and technology. With the first big shakeup the Avatar has to face is, say, a worker's revolt where Water Tribe Refugees stop purifying water for a metropolis.

You eventually develop a theme about the mixture of science and bending creating an imbalance with the spirit world, maybe have one of the disciplines or metro areas lose bending since they're divorced from their spirituality. The world becomes less and less exciting.

Then you jump a few years and the Earthers just have no spirituality at all, bending is a rigid science instead of a spiritual art form, there's stagnation despite developing more refined techniques, etc.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Another response to an older post as I catch up:

Hedrigall posted:

Sony Pictures Animation has such an up and down filmography though, like compared to even the middle tier studios like Dreamworks and Blue Sky, their output is even more all over the place. From Wikipedia:

1 Open Season
2 Surf’s Up
3 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
4 The Smurfs
5 Arthur Christmas
6 The Pirates! Band of Misfits
7 Hotel Transylvania
8 The Smurfs 2
9 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
10 Hotel Transylvania 2
11 Goosebumps
12 Smurfs: The Lost Village
13 The Emoji Movie
14 The Star
15 Peter Rabbit
16 Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
17 Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
18 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
19 The Angry Birds Movie 2
20 Wish Dragon
21 The Mitchells vs. the Machines

Starting out with some competent kid's fare, with a definite early highlight in Cloudy.

Then a mishmash of half-live-action Smurfs movies and some Aardman stuff (Arthur Christmas is good but I haven't seen Pirates) and their big studio-tentpole franchise Hotel Transylvania (which, yecch, it's no Toy Story or How To Train Your Dragon)

Absolute nadir with Emoji Movie and The Star (why a Christian movie in there, like, imagine Pixar suddenly doing a random biblical comedy?), and more run of the mill half-live-action stuff with Goosebumps and Peter Rabbit. They seemed to have no idea what they wanted to do around this period.

Then the pinnacle comes with Spider-Verse, which we all know is an absolute genre-redefining masterpiece. It sticks out on this list - it doesn't feel like Sony deserves to have it.

I dunno why Angry Birds 2 is here but the first isn't - did Sony acquire the property to do the sequel?

What even is Wish Dragon, is that their answer to Abominable, like their one for the Chinese market? Has anyone seen it?

I hope Mitchells vs the Machines will be good.

Like what the hell is this filmography? It seems like the Netflix of animation studio output - just throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing if it sticks, with no attempt to develop a house style or (as far as I can tell) cultivate certain talents. They're just scrabbling for IP and churning out all sorts of stuff of mixed quality.

Okay so some of the films released under the Sony Pictures Animation label weren't produced by them: There's the 2 Aardman films like you mentioned (though the animation for Arthur Christmas was done by Sony Pictures Imageworks), and they also didn't produce the Goosebumps films nor Peter Rabbit (notably Peter Rabbit 2 wasn't released under the label).

The Angry Birds films were both produced by Rovio Animation, but while Sony Pictures Animation co-produced the 2nd one with no involvement in the first, the first did have other ties with Sony (Columbia Pictures helped produce it, Imageworks animated it, and Sony Pictures Releasing distributed it)

A vast majority of actually-produced-by-SPA films are animated by Imageworks (the 2 exceptions so far being The Star and Wish Dragon), but there are also a few films from other studios that Imageworks animated: Storks, Smallfoot, and Over the Moon

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 7, 2021

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Storks is a pretty underrated film

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pixeltendo posted:

I didn't like it on first watch, but I can see how it can be enjoyed for it's absurdity and would be willing to give it a second chance.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Here's my review of Mitchells and Machines: Too many people were on netflix and so I watched Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me instead. Boy what an amazing film! Aside from the raw, obvious power of the story, there was wonderful, horrible and hopeful and scary contemplation on life after death, wood screaming in the diagesis. Laura became a TV signal! Transcendent.

I am three minutes into the machine movie now and it seems apparent that being gay is secondary, katie is clearly in love with the machines. Or expresses love or what have you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pixeltendo posted:

Storks is fantastic and hilarious and no one believes me

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

It’s great, I have it on bluray

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Macaluso posted:

It is fantastic and is one of our fave rewatches. I love the rapid fire dialogue and feel like I hear something new each time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Increasing mixture of bending and technology. With the first big shakeup the Avatar has to face is, say, a worker's revolt where Water Tribe Refugees stop purifying water for a metropolis.

You eventually develop a theme about the mixture of science and bending creating an imbalance with the spirit world, maybe have one of the disciplines or metro areas lose bending since they're divorced from their spirituality. The world becomes less and less exciting.

Then you jump a few years and the Earthers just have no spirituality at all, bending is a rigid science instead of a spiritual art form, there's stagnation despite developing more refined techniques, etc.

It would be interesting to see how the Avatar deals with a world that's becoming increasingly more modern and less focused on the spiritual side of things (to the point where technology starts to make bending obsolete). Also, Spirit Korra should be a reoccurring character.

Regarding Korra, season 4 has Granny Toph who is by far the best of the returning ATLA characters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 7, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At a certain point if you progress too far into modern technology as a fantasy series, you instead become a superhero series with your protagonist as a type of Dr. Fate or Constantine character, helping to regulate how the supernatural interacts with the physical world. An urban fantasy Avatar might be interesting but the magic is very limited compared to something like Harry Potter. Could still be interesting to see how they'd write it. I feel like most fantasy series stop at the industrial revolution and then fantasy kicks back in during dying earth scenarios where the world is littered with artifacts of modern technology that nobody really knows how to work anymore.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Harry Turtledove's Case of the Toxic Spell Dump is the only series I can think of where magic exists and is widespread in a modern society (as of the 1980s), instead of Industrial Revolution or a cyberpunk hellhole

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think I heard somewhere a while back that one of the ideas pitched for a possible Korra sequel was a show about a pair of Earthbender twins who were BOTH the Avatar. Something like that could be interesting to see.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Mitchells is about the same as the emoji movie. The dad is "Meh" and expects his child to be "Meh," but his child is not.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

The Mitchells is about the same as the emoji movie. The dad is "Meh" and expects his child to be "Meh," but his child is not.
how dare you

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I've noticed that both Spiderverse films have a similar setup with directors: One had already been a director beforehand (Peter Ramsey on the first film, Joaquim Dos Santos on the sequel; though this is JDS' film debut), one's a writer (Rodney Rothman on the first, Kemp Powers on the sequel; though while Rothman had no prior directorial credits and co-wrote the first one's script, Powers has had a co-director credit and isn't writing on the sequel), and one's a story artist making their directorial debut (Bob Persichetti on the first, Justin Thompson on the sequel)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1390715579036835842?s=21

Thanks The New York Times.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

tbf, it's Daniel Dae Kim

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The writer seems to have enjoyed that one:

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status/1390669328354222083

My favorite part is in the replies someone was like "lol the dad from Mitchells vs the Machines is the exception no thank you" and the very next reply is someone that's like "omg the dad from Mitchelles vs the Machine is soooo cute"

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Cute != Hot

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hoop Dreams posted:

Cute != Hot

There's plenty of people in that thread saying he's hot.

Also a lot of people pointing out the article leaves out Aladdin's dad

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The dad in The Ms vs Ms is 400% my type, he is both cute and hot

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

The dad in The Ms vs Ms is 400% my type, he is both cute and hot

1000% agree here.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

The writer seems to have enjoyed that one:

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status/1390669328354222083

My favorite part is in the replies someone was like "lol the dad from Mitchells vs the Machines is the exception no thank you" and the very next reply is someone that's like "omg the dad from Mitchelles vs the Machine is soooo cute"

Animated moms have always been hot and no one ever wrote an article about that :colbert: sexist.

Also, the article fails to mention Mufasa :colbert: speciest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Animated moms have always been hot and no one ever wrote an article about that :colbert: sexist.

https://youtu.be/ePEp4e8z2d8