Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Dr Christmas posted:

Oh, we’re talking introvert and excessive American chatiness peeves? Middle school was hell for me for many reasons, one of which was that people noticed me being quiet and frequently brought it up to me. And then they’d bring it up when I wasn’t quite. Sometimes they’d interrupt class to call attention to it, and some teachers would join in! loving monsters!

My parents were adamant that you couldn’t just say “Hi” to someone. You had to ask them stuff. I got performance reviews for family friend visits.

The popularization of “What’s up” as a casual greeting was a cruel prank America played on itself. I still don’t know what the proper answer to “What’s up” is.

THe answer is to be overwhelmingly honest. "What's up? Well, my son just came down with a cold, I've had a poo poo day at work, my bread has gone off early and my last 3 job interviews fell through, so i've been drowning my sorrows in random Anime. You?"

They'll never ask that question again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
A meeting of the minds

https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1390755069000261632?s=21

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

this seems like it's meant for IOSM but I'mma say those two are also my pet peeves

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

THe answer is to be overwhelmingly honest. "What's up? Well, my son just came down with a cold, I've had a poo poo day at work, my bread has gone off early and my last 3 job interviews fell through, so i've been drowning my sorrows in random Anime. You?"

They'll never ask that question again.

This would backfire horribly with me. I'd think you wanted a conversation and you'd be trapped with a chatty cheerful person.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I used to try and keep my answers fresh when people asked "what's up" and "how's it going" but I realized nobody really notices and it wasn't worth the effort, so it's "not much" and "not bad" 100% of the time.

It only really bothers me when it's my boss who does it. Just tell me what you need me to do.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Spalec posted:

I swear some servers wait until I've just taken a big ol' bite of my burger before appearing and asking how everything is. So I just have to do the 'positive sounding grunt/thumbs up'

They intentionally wait until you've taken a bite so they have extra time to look at the table and see if you've stolen anything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I used to try and keep my answers fresh when people asked "what's up" and "how's it going" but I realized nobody really notices and it wasn't worth the effort, so it's "not much" and "not bad" 100% of the time.

It only really bothers me when it's my boss who does it. Just tell me what you need me to do.

"Can you *x work task*?"

"Naw man sorry"

don't fire me motherfucker you asked

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Can you *x work task*?"

"Naw man sorry"

don't fire me motherfucker you asked

"Do you want to perform this task?"

Then they pretend you refused to do it when you say no.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

"Hey, Dip, we're short staffed tonight so I'll need you to work the bar." is way more helpful for both of us than presenting it as a question and acting like I'm the rear end in a top hat later.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For real, don't make me jump through hoops of feigning enthusiasm, we both know the only reason I'm gonna show up is tips and masochism so just lay bare the reality of the situation and let's move on

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dr Christmas posted:

Oh, we’re talking introvert and excessive American chatiness peeves? Middle school was hell for me for many reasons, one of which was that people noticed me being quiet and frequently brought it up to me. And then they’d bring it up when I wasn’t quite. Sometimes they’d interrupt class to call attention to it, and some teachers would join in! loving monsters!

My parents were adamant that you couldn’t just say “Hi” to someone. You had to ask them stuff. I got performance reviews for family friend visits.

The popularization of “What’s up” as a casual greeting was a cruel prank America played on itself. I still don’t know what the proper answer to “What’s up” is.

Just flip it back onto them and answer "good thanks, and you?" then they'll either start talking at you and you just nod along or they give you a generic "good thanks" and it dies out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

fizzymercury posted:

This would backfire horribly with me. I'd think you wanted a conversation and you'd be trapped with a chatty cheerful person.

I'm actually the same way, I was mostly goofing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm actually the same way, I was mostly goofing.

This poo poo convinces me that the introvert/extrovert stuff must have some basis in reality because I unironically would loving hate being trapped with a chatty cheerful stranger. Leave me alone I'll talk to you if the bus rolls over and we need to escape that's about it. I have friends I live with someone I don't need you, rando bus person.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This poo poo convinces me that the introvert/extrovert stuff must have some basis in reality because I unironically would loving hate being trapped with a chatty cheerful stranger. Leave me alone I'll talk to you if the bus rolls over and we need to escape that's about it. I have friends I live with someone I don't need you, rando bus person.

Look I'm sorry. I only talk to the rando bus people now because one too many of you cool and interesting people were mean to me.

Just wanted to talk about the book you're reading you didn't have to throw it at me.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Was on a family zoom call for mother's day and my mom started talking about how this sitcom she is watching had this joke about a kid asking a doll's pronouns. My brother piped up and started talking about how there are only two genders and I just wanted to scream. I hate that there's so much familial pressure to keep in contact with him when I just want to sever.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Every few days now when I switch on my work laptop, Outlook decides to change its view settings away from the one I've been using for literally the last 10 years to some lovely different one where i can't see the sender, subject line or content of the emails I've received.

I had to Google how to switch it back (which involves changing the view AGAIN and then selecting 'reset view'), and now I just have to make it part of my morning routine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now that I'm back in the office full time due to openerup, I've reactivated a bunch of podcasts that I just didn't feel like keeping up with while I was working from home.

It's time the MaxFun Drive. It's not like I listen to a lot of Maximum Fun programming because most of it sounds twee and terrible to me, but right now they're all putting out multiple points of 10 minute schilling for money. I mean I get why, but it's just brings everything down, just open some patreons and pitch some ads like everyone else, I don't need to hear what Max Fun means to you and how it gave you the will to live during the pandemic.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently moved to a small town and I'm being reacquainted with an old pet peeve of mine from my driving instructor days:

Speed limit signs that show your current speed. I don't mind them as a concept, but every single one of them is set up so that your speed shows up as a green number if it's under the limit and a red number if it's above, which means that, according to the sign, driving 5 kmph in a 30 zone is better than 31 kmph. I wouldn't mind it that much if that wasn't also the mindset of a LOT of people around here.

We also have a a train station along a major 4-lane road that splits the town in two, so a lot of people have to cross that road to get to the train station, and the best way the city's found to allow that was to draw ped crossings every 500m, which means that, legally, traffic should be held up by pedestrians every five minutes at rush hour, but instead it's just generally accepted that cars don't stop for peds at all, which is the worst kind of surprising when you just moved there and people get mad at you for crossing at a ped crossing...

Small towns get away with such lovely civil engineering...

Edit: Oh, I just remembered the WORST thing about those speed limit signs: when driving at precisely the speed limit is actually YELLOW, so driving at 2 kmph is "better" than driving the actual speed limit, which, by the way, is the point of speed limit. Back when I was teaching I'd get a lot of "there's no minimum! :smug:" smartass comments, but the point of a speed limit is to make everyone go the same speed, not "anywhere between 0 and the top speed".

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 17:48 on May 12, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

CordlessPen posted:

Speed limit signs that show your current speed. I don't mind them as a concept, but every single one of them is set up so that your speed shows up as a green number if it's under the limit and a red number if it's above, which means that, according to the sign, driving 5 kmph in a 30 zone is better than 31 kmph. I wouldn't mind it that much if that wasn't also the mindset of a LOT of people around here.

They had to take down the one here because instead of discouraging speeding it encouraged people to go for a high score.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Chip McFuck posted:

Was on a family zoom call for mother's day and my mom started talking about how this sitcom she is watching had this joke about a kid asking a doll's pronouns. My brother piped up and started talking about how there are only two genders and I just wanted to scream. I hate that there's so much familial pressure to keep in contact with him when I just want to sever.

I get the impression that it’s considered cringe or unfashionable or whatever to talk about it, but I’ma do it anyway. The young American right is defined by a movement about getting so mad about girl cooties in their video games that they became actual loving Nazis. How is that not ripe for lampooning, instead of the eleventy-bajillionth joke about pronouns?!

Of course, the last four years have definitively proved that America’s television writers are absolutely not up to the task. I just want them to leave trans kids alone. Use someone else as your punching bag, gently caress.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CordlessPen posted:

I recently moved to a small town and I'm being reacquainted with an old pet peeve of mine from my driving instructor days:

We also have a a train station along a major 4-lane road that splits the town in two, so a lot of people have to cross that road to get to the train station, and the best way the city's found to allow that was to draw ped crossings every 500m, which means that, legally, traffic should be held up by pedestrians every five minutes at rush hour, but instead it's just generally accepted that cars don't stop for peds at all, which is the worst kind of surprising when you just moved there and people get mad at you for crossing at a ped crossing...

Small towns get away with such lovely civil engineering...

Edit: Oh, I just remembered the WORST thing about those speed limit signs: when driving at precisely the speed limit is actually YELLOW, so driving at 2 kmph is "better" than driving the actual speed limit, which, by the way, is the point of speed limit. Back when I was teaching I'd get a lot of "there's no minimum! :smug:" smartass comments, but the point of a speed limit is to make everyone go the same speed, not "anywhere between 0 and the top speed".

If it makes you feel better, my husband is a traffic engineer, specializing in road safety, and he would absolutely agree with you. He also has a good rant about artificially low speed limits making roads MORE unsafe.

Basically anybody driving at a vastly different speed than most other people on the road, either slower or faster, is the unsafe one.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

People who cannot give estimates to save their life. Im not asking for a detailed report for X thing or to be a living fortuneteller.I just want a general idea of what you want or what Y thing means. Do you want 3 sheets of paper or 50? Can I call you back in a week or three years?

Midig has a new favorite as of 22:17 on May 12, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

If it makes you feel better, my husband is a traffic engineer, specializing in road safety, and he would absolutely agree with you. He also has a good rant about artificially low speed limits making roads MORE unsafe.

Basically anybody driving at a vastly different speed than most other people on the road, either slower or faster, is the unsafe one.

Being predictable is key on the road. It’s why I hate niceholes that stop to let someone merge onto the road or make a left in front of them. Completely breaks the flow of traffic, increases the risk of an accident, and often doesn’t even give any benefit to the person they think they’re helping.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

A car alarm going off is annoying, but usually pretty quickly over. I have no idea why this happens, but like once or twice a year I'll hear some lovely loving car just go at it over and over and over.
There's some lovely car that's fired into chained 2-5 rounds of car-alarming, almost half a dozen times today.

Predictably the owner doesn't actually do anything about it, other than maybe using their keyfob to deactivate it early. God forbid you move it or figure out -why- your car is chaining alarms together.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SubNat posted:

A car alarm going off is annoying, but usually pretty quickly over. I have no idea why this happens, but like once or twice a year I'll hear some lovely loving car just go at it over and over and over.
There's some lovely car that's fired into chained 2-5 rounds of car-alarming, almost half a dozen times today.

Predictably the owner doesn't actually do anything about it, other than maybe using their keyfob to deactivate it early. God forbid you move it or figure out -why- your car is chaining alarms together.

As a kid my aunt's car would go off on the regular from me sitting inside it waiting for her to get done shopping or whatever. Holy gently caress that triggered me, and it would sometimes bring concerned adults to stare at me and the dog like we were going to have heat strokes. Even though the AC was running and she'd only leave us for like ten minutes.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Have car alarms ever served a purpose other than pissing people off?

Even in the one in a million chance that an alarm goes off, some passerby decides to actually look at it for some reason, and sees a thief, they're going to do... what exactly? Probably assume it's the car's owner trying to get the stupid loving alarm to shut off.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It's difficult to quantity the efficacy of a deterrent, because you can't really measure what doesn't happen, but most people would rather break into something which isn't suddenly going to start shrieking loudly at the whole neighbourhood.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Being predictable is key on the road. It’s why I hate niceholes that stop to let someone merge onto the road or make a left in front of them. Completely breaks the flow of traffic, increases the risk of an accident, and often doesn’t even give any benefit to the person they think they’re helping.

The thing about this is usually there's less than two cars behind the nicehole, so I'm already irritated that they're not moving, and in the time it took for me to figure it out, I could have gone normally if they had just kept going.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
“That figure who has a major effect on your life is living in your head rent free!”

Said to someone juggling multiple things: “You had one job! ONE JOB LOL”

No one:
*Person doing to something in response to something else*

The NPC face. It neither looks looks like any video game character not the generic idea of a video game character. None of the behaviors it lampoons are npc-like.

I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT MEMES.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 22:12 on May 15, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing about this is usually there's less than two cars behind the nicehole, so I'm already irritated that they're not moving, and in the time it took for me to figure it out, I could have gone normally if they had just kept going.

Or when you’re trying to merge left into a 4 lane road with two lanes of traffic in either direction, and someone stops to let you in... and now you can’t see the oncoming traffic in the other lane going that direction so you can’t merge.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

people slowing down when going down hill on a freeway interchange that 1) isn't steep 2)terminates into a wide open freeway 3) while going slow as hell in the first place. that's my pet peeve.

also, people with type of car that they're driving on their license plates. i can see that you're driving a porche of some kind, thank you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People deflecting the content of criticism by focusing on an aspect of its phrasing or the tone of it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Can duolingo gently caress off? I did a streak of 250 days before getting too annoyed at the multiple emails and notifications a day and pushed stop notifications so I don't have to see that stupid owl. Yet I get this passive aggressive message saying "I guess our notifications aren't working, we won't do it anymore, i guess T_T"...being annoyed is not going to make anyone want to learn a language.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The question "where do you see yourself in five years". I don't even know if i'll be alive tomorrow let alone 5 years from now, i'm just trying to do my job as best as I can. It's your job to figure out whether I should progress in the career or not. It's a stupid trap question and should be removed from work culture.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Can duolingo gently caress off? I did a streak of 250 days before getting too annoyed at the multiple emails and notifications a day and pushed stop notifications so I don't have to see that stupid owl. Yet I get this passive aggressive message saying "I guess our notifications aren't working, we won't do it anymore, i guess T_T"...being annoyed is not going to make anyone want to learn a language.

Oh yeah I hate that poo poo. I found the streak thing and the reminders kinda nice for a while, had a good 150ish day streak going, then had a rough couple days and lost it and the idea of having lost a big streak was more of a discouragement from going back to it than the streak reminders ever were an encouragement in maintaining it.

And at any rate if they have to exist I'd much rather it try to coax me to do, say, 10 lessons a week than one lesson a day. It would be much more effective to have one or two longer session a week, for me, than to do the bare minimum to maintain my streak every single day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The question "where do you see yourself in five years". I don't even know if i'll be alive tomorrow let alone 5 years from now, i'm just trying to do my job as best as I can. It's your job to figure out whether I should progress in the career or not. It's a stupid trap question and should be removed from work culture.

I don't think there are really trap questions, it's just that no one wants to acknowledge that job interviews are bullshit and no one knows what they're doing, so they ask these inane questions that everyone else asks on the assumption that they must be worth asking if everyone else is doing it, and then they use the answers as excuses for picking the person they were always going to pick anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It should be loving illegal that poo poo jobs like Target and Walmart will give you 45 minute personality tests to apply. I feel like in ten years they'll be asking your mbti type, star sign, hogwarts house, and which Friend you are most like.

That might even be more helpful than the current fad of "you see a fellow employee stealing, wdyd" and "which of these applies best to you 'I will break rules to get the job done' or 'I love following rules'"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I've basically lucked my way into my last two jobs because I am middle class, articulate and good at bullshitting. I know what answers people are looking for to their generic questions, and have the basic skill of 'look at potential employers website and understand their products and corporate ethos'.

I'm now in a pretty well paid analyst role, but I honestly have no idea wtf I'm doing, and am convinced that I'm gonna get found out by one of my colleagues before too long.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

I've basically lucked my way into my last two jobs because I am middle class, articulate and good at bullshitting. I know what answers people are looking for to their generic questions, and have the basic skill of 'look at potential employers website and understand their products and corporate ethos'.

I'm now in a pretty well paid analyst role, but I honestly have no idea wtf I'm doing, and am convinced that I'm gonna get found out by one of my colleagues before too long.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - everyone else is too busy not knowing what the gently caress they're doing to notice that you don't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Quit parking on the sidewalk in residential areas! :argh: