Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

WhiteHowler posted:

If you have Twitch Prime (which means Amazon Prime), they're doing free cosmetics for the next few weeks. I just got a sweet wolf sail from it.

The best part about getting cosmetics is using it 2-3 times and most likely never again. I jest, but only partly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Shuka posted:

The best part about getting cosmetics is using it 2-3 times and most likely never again. I jest, but only partly.

Is there a way to get the game to default to a specific set of ship cosmetics?

Every time I log in, I'm back to plain wooden boat with white sails. It only takes a few seconds to change it, but... surely there's a better way?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

WhiteHowler posted:

Every time I log in, I'm back to plain wooden boat with white sails. It only takes a few seconds to change it, but... surely there's a better way?

nope. and shuka's right, after a while you don't really care anymore. unless you spent real money on something awesome like whatever the zombie themed shipset is.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Rowing onto an island and geeking a dude who's been picking out his colors and spending way too long gathering supplies before setting his sloop ablaze is an honored passtime.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAULc4TKVfs

:laugh:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

WhiteHowler posted:

Nope. Your pirate's outfit, weapons and equipment are saved between sessions, but not for ship.
Probably this will be added to the game in the Captaincy Update :rolleyes: (which has been announced years and years ago but never came)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The big problem with saving ship cosmetics is the fact that you share it with the rest of the crew.

If you join with a saved ship cosmetic set would it just overwrite the current cosmetics on the ship? If not, wouldn't that ship then just overwrite what you had saved? And what about if you try to save a ship with cosmetics you don't own but have on because someone else in the crew does?

I think it's just such a big mess of figuring out stuff like that that they'd rather just not bother.

Being able to save presets that you can apply in just one selection from the box (and outfits too, Rare :argh: ) would be nice though.

Also, the real big brain play for decorating your ship is what you do with Flames of Fate rather than cosmetics. If you get the green flame from skeletons and put it on the front two lanterns, then the blue flame from sharks and put it on the rear lanterns (don't forget the one in the cabin doorway on the galleon, and the map room ones on the sloop), you can trick a surprisingly large number of people into thinking you're a skeleton ship :laugh:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Icedude posted:

Being able to save presets that you can apply in just one selection from the box (and outfits too, Rare :argh: ) would be nice though.

Rare sort-of went in this direction when they introduced costumes (I think with the Athena Run of Thieves Haven) but sadly, you can only wear the entire costume as-is, and not separate parts of it. But at least it's a step in the right direction - they must be working on clothing/equipment presets if so many people are asking about it.

Gino_Felino
Feb 6, 2014
*Goes off to play Battletoads*

I also just found you can get the Ocean Crawler bundle if you have Game Pass

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Does the Battletoads giveaway still work? I thought that had passed the deadline to redeem?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My regular (newbie-ish) group had a guest player last night, so we experienced crewing a Galleon for the first time.

I hated it. It's so clumsy and it takes forever to traverse the deck. The extra cannons are nice for a big initial volley, but after that you're still limited by reload speed. I think we're much more effective in our usual Brig.

Case in point. We ran a successful Gold Hoarders vault voyage and were heading toward an outpost to sell when a skeleton galleon surfaced next to us. We've done a few of these fights now and weren't too worried, but we ended up taking twice as many hits as usual and went through almost our entire stock of cannonballs before we sank it.

Which would have been fine, but as soon as it sank, we spotted a player sloop approaching fast. We were caught with our pants down, still repairing leaks and damage to the wheel, with virtually no ammunition left. It was pretty embarrassing how quickly that little sloop took us out. Granted, they showed up with a ton of special cannonballs and might have won anyway, but I feel like we would have ended the skeleton fight in a much better place to fight (or run away) if we'd been in a Brig.

Props to them though, they got a great payday. The contents of a vault, plus whatever the skeleton ship dropped, all for about two minutes' work.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I'd be curious to hear how goons organize themselves on their ships with their crews. My friends and I have taken to designating one person as "Captain" every session (who also steers) and generally the captain tells the rest of the crew what to do, or at least what needs to be prioritized. How do you all manage this sort of thing?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it is good to have someone directing the chaos but I actually think you want that person off the helm so they can see what's going on better. that's how it works on actual boats at least.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
In my group we glide between roles depending on what happens from moment to moment. We are close friends who have been playing for a long time though, so we are able to do that without much communication overhead.
One of us is the better "pilot", so he ends up being at the steering wheel the most. The one at the steering wheel is likely to have the best overview of what happens, so they should give information and/or commands so the rest can act efficiently.
On a galleon, one person will likely end up repairing a lot. Keeping track of water levels can be critical for acting efficiently. For example, just a shout "two bucket needed" from the repair-person, to quickly stabilise things while the pressure is on.
On a sloop I feel the crew works equally - fire off 10 cannon balls, quickly switch roles wheel/cannon, repeat, as an example to keep up a constant barrage etc.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Giggle Goose posted:

I'd be curious to hear how goons organize themselves on their ships with their crews. My friends and I have taken to designating one person as "Captain" every session (who also steers) and generally the captain tells the rest of the crew what to do, or at least what needs to be prioritized. How do you all manage this sort of thing?

Basically this, yeah. Whoever is piloting the boat calls the shots and it's up to the ret of the crew to keep that player informed. This game really doesn't lend itself well to decisions by committee or people doing what 'feels right' as you'll eventually have 1 guy on a galleon after the other 3 dive into the water to board a ship or somesuch tragedy. It was me, I was the one guy trying to bail out a galleon.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PerOlus posted:

In my group we glide between roles depending on what happens from moment to moment.

That's what my group does too. There's one guy who's better at driving, but typically whoever is most motivated will drive until we're going into a fight. Then it's battle stations and he's on the wheel, at least to start.

It's really important to keep talking and reporting status. That allows more flexibility than fixed roles. "How're we on repairs?" "Where are they now?" etc.

But, in general, the person on the wheel calls the orders (sails, anchor, etc)

Here's an example of a pretty tight combat situation with us all flipping roles, if you can stand a 6 minute video https://youtu.be/q-zK-HoVyZM

BlackIronHeart posted:

This game really doesn't lend itself well to decisions by committee or people doing what 'feels right' as you'll eventually have 1 guy on a galleon after the other 3 dive into the water to board a ship or somesuch tragedy.

This is very true about boarding. In the video I posted I chide someone for doing that. Something like "I see you're in the water"

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 7, 2021

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I've been playing this game solo mostly, so I'm used to taking the wheel. On a sloop I'll take the sails too, unless my buddy says something like "hey I can take sails too". On bigger ships I just steer and call out sails & bails, but when there's player combat I leave it to people who are better at it.

I like not having to steer, but sometimes people are just not good at it or not happy doing it. If I'm not steering on a galleon, I feel mostly useless anyway.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Does the Battletoads giveaway still work? I thought that had passed the deadline to redeem?

I'm pretty sure it expired. I did it at the beginning of April and it never dropper for me.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Soooo I'm thinking about picking this up. I've seen a few people recently posting about maybe wanting to get into it to but not having a lot of time. Don't know if any of them are still reading this thread, but if you want to give it a go I'm willing. Pretty much just looking for some fun co-op a few times a week.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Soooo I'm thinking about picking this up. I've seen a few people recently posting about maybe wanting to get into it to but not having a lot of time. Don't know if any of them are still reading this thread, but if you want to give it a go I'm willing. Pretty much just looking for some fun co-op a few times a week.

Join the discord in the op.

The general Sea of Thieves discord isn't bad either.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lammasu posted:

I'm pretty sure it expired. I did it at the beginning of April and it never dropper for me.

Ah I figured. Thanks for confirming.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It's free ("free") on Xbox Game Pass for PC, by the way. You can cross-play with Steam friends, though it's a slightly clunkier process.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

It's free ("free") on Xbox Game Pass for PC, by the way. You can cross-play with Steam friends, though it's a slightly clunkier process.

Already picked it up on Steam, downloading now.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, you gotta get your add your friends on Xbox and then use the Win+G shortcut to join or invite for Steam/Win Store crossplay. That took me a bit to figure out.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I discovered a fun little thing last night.

The game tries to spawn new players far away from existing players, just so you don't join the game and instantly get attacked. However, it considers "other players" to be "wherever their ship is".

A buddy and I sank our own ship at an outpost, as we often do when preparing to quit the game. A few seconds later we saw a player sloop spawn in at the outpost. We climbed aboard, tossed a firebomb into the hold, and stood on the deck playing sea shanties.

Wow, that player sure was surprised when he came over to board his ship.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah I noticed that too! A few times when i just started playing and sank my ship while watching, a new ship would sometimes spawn in before mine even despawned completely.

I only took advantage of this a few times, and it only brought me profit once - when some dudes hurriedly took off to pick up their earlier stashed loot. They sank to skeleton cannons a few minutes after, so i took my mermaid, sailed back quickly and stole all their stuff.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

My friends and I were able to sync up and get two sloops on the same server rather than a galleon the other day. It opened up all kinds of strategic options for PVP and we were doing pretty well with it for a while. You can split up in pursuit and make it way harder for enemies to run away. Also, if both ships are reapers emissaries, you can move loot between ships so you all get the full emissary rank progress, meaning you can get to 5 pretty quickly.

Anyway right after we sank our first brig, another sloop came by and positively wrecked our poo poo effortlessly. They switched relentlessly between regular shot, shackle shot, and blunder bombs, hitting absolutely every shot they fired, then launched themselves perfectly onto our ship and sniped us instantly. We tried to get them back after they sank us a couple times but even 4v2 they just shrugged it off. The closest we got was when they randomly hit a gunpowder barrel in the water and we were able to pummel and board them until they respawned, but then of course they just instantly killed us and repaired.

I had never seen anything quite like it. They were so good that I actually had to question whether they might be hacking, because they were not missing anything, especially with their sniper rifles. Still gonna go back to the sloop fleet though because it's a fun change of pace from the lumbering galleon

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I wish the melee combat in this game was 1/4 as good as the ship combat.

The key to boarding actions seems to be bunny hopping and getting good at doing the quick zoom trick with the sniper rifle.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

You can cancel weapon animations. The people who can do that and hit their shots are insane.i run into them in arena sometimes

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

I wish the melee combat in this game was 1/4 as good as the ship combat.

The key to boarding actions seems to be bunny hopping and getting good at doing the quick zoom trick with the sniper rifle.

Agree with the first sentiment. The key to boarding seems to be getting the first swipe/shot in, stunlocking your opponent and pretty much already winning the fight.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My crew of four did our first fort tonight, and we had a blast! Those skeleton lords are real jerks -- we ended up having to use our ship's cannons to speed up the fight.

It yielded twice as much loot as any other haul we've ever had, so we got very paranoid as we tried to decide where to sell. We opted for a more distant outpost because we spotted a player ship on the horizon in the direction of the nearer ones.

As we got within sight of the outpost, the loving kraken grabbed us. It was the first time we'd ever encountered it, and we were sure we were about to lose our treasure. We took out four or five tentacles, but it grabbed two of our crew, and the ship started flooding fast. Just as things looked hopeless, we limped within range of the outpost, and the kraken let us go. Whew!

We had about an hour left to play, so we went on some fun adventures:

- We tried to use a rowboat to suicide-bomb a skeleton galleon, which did work, but it also sank our own ship, which we didn't realize had sailed right next to the other side of the galleon. Fortunately, one of our crew escaped in a rowboat and picked up all the treasure from both ships. We were able to locate her and get everything aboard.

- Then we came across a couple of people loading treasure into their sloop. We don't usually randomly gank people, but I've never seen a more tempting target, so we blasted them to smithereens. They never knew what hit them, and their ship went under before they could even respawn.

- Then we did our nightly "Viking funeral" for our own ship, setting it adrift and throwing firebombs onto it. Right after it sank, another sloop pulled into the outpost we were standing in. We killed the lone crew member and discovered that the hold was full of treasure. We decided to take pity on the poor guy, apologizing and playing a sea shanty on his deck while he offloaded his loot.

As frustrating as the game can be sometimes, and as inexplicably dumb as some of the design decisions (and unfixed bugs) can be, it's usually fun as hell, and I've never played anything quite like it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How would this game be with me and one other person?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

eonwe posted:

How would this game be with me and one other person?

Fine. Your ship size scales to your crew size, as does the difficulty of certain PvE encounters.

In PvP, you may be at a disadvantage against larger crews, but it's also easier to outmaneuver them in your smaller ship.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sweet ty

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Duo-slooping is awesome. I love figuring out a plan when fighting larger crews.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The best players seem to be sloopers, solo or paired.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

The best players seem to be sloopers, solo or paired.

Sloops can linger longer full of holes; a duo sloop with reasonably experience crew should be able to stay afloat if the other crew isn't using specials. A chain shot mast take down can be fatal though; so be prepared to catch it before it falls far and shout repair the mast at your friend who is probably laughing like a loon because you finally found some pirate action that isn't pve.

If you're standing around doing nothing while you cruise on missions or hunting pirates and not cannoning off to islands or jumping off on debris or shipwrecks you need to change habits. A well supplied ship can take bigger risks. Another crew might discover your hording ways and keep you barely afloat while they camp you and steal everything, so don't go actively stocking up, make it a part of your passive routine. And if you are about to sink, go fill your pockets with all the specials and chain shot and pvp food that you can.

The phuzzy bond twitch guy has a few youtube videos on how to solo a sloop but the tl:dr version is be paranoid like from before weed started getting legalized about other ships on the horizon. Good videos about aiming as well, being a clutch chain shot sniper will really, really piss of your enemies. Especially if you don't actually attack just keep knocking their mast down while you go in a circle around them like a weird popeye version of lucy and the football.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm curious, are there any intricacies to the actual sailing in this game? Is it possible to go faster than full sail forward if you know what your doing, i.e. does the game simulate lift gain off the leading edge of your sail (sails in this game don't even have leading edges do they?) or anything like that? Is it all just about keeping the sails trimmed exactly perpendicular to the wind to keep them full or is there any more nuance to it?

tell me that one cool sailing trick pirates don't want you to know

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

treat posted:

I'm curious, are there any intricacies to the actual sailing in this game? Is it possible to go faster than full sail forward if you know what your doing, i.e. does the game simulate lift gain off the leading edge of your sail (sails in this game don't even have leading edges do they?) or anything like that? Is it all just about keeping the sails trimmed exactly perpendicular to the wind to keep them full or is there any more nuance to it?

tell me that one cool sailing trick pirates don't want you to know

There's a bit, and some of it is a little counter-intuitive and unrealistic. Here's a handy chart for optimal speed on each of the boats.

Basically, the weird thing is that if you're going right into the wind, you want the sails straight forward. Basically, think of a 45° arc on the front of the ship. If the wind is within that, you need to have dummy sails. More than that, but still not catching wind, then tack them to what seems natural. If behind you, just tack them so they catch the wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
One intricacy not covered by this chart is your actual speed is also gonna be affected by the waves you bump against, and not all ships are equally affected by it purely due to shape, so IIRC a brig going along with the dominant wave direction when there are big waves can outrun anything.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 29, 2021