Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

Why is anyone advocating voting Solus

Like is there a case or are a bunch of people just going "hey let's vote out our vig who is steadly growing more reliable for no reason"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AT-LOW posted:

Like is there a case or are a bunch of people just going "hey let's vote out our vig who is steadly growing more reliable for no reason"

Two prongs on the solus case:
1) How they chose the vig shot shields them from any introspection on how the shot was chosen. By leaving it to randomness he can't be blamed if he shoots a townie because lol random. The hip shot part doesn't come into it at all for me, just the target choice (even leaving aside the fact that I know the target was town)
2) How he followed Toalps comment on the possibility of no scum or a 3p only setup.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AT-LOW posted:

And we should never not vote out someone purely based on role in a WIFOA as role is 100% not indicative of alignment this game. Just because they chose cop or doc or whatever doesn't inform their alignment at all, and even more so in this case where scum would absolutely love a vig (so would town because pew pew), but that his power growing more reliable shouldn't change the calculus on a Solus vote at all

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

AT-LOW posted:

Shooting immediately from the hip, particularly randomly, feels like an effort to hide scumminess behind whackiness.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Wait gently caress I had a whole thing typed up but I just realized I might be wrong, let me recheck the rules

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Voodoofly posted:

Also, there may be situations where a player asks you to do something unusual. As such, there is NO STRICT RULE about posting actions in thread or in your confessional. On the other hand, if I think anyone is doing something just to be a jerk I'll modkill them. Use your judgment. Inquisitive actions are allowed although might be ignored. Tricking someone to post something is allowed so long as I can determine even a remotely decent reason to do it. Joke fake actions will be applauded or punished depending on how good they are. Please don't make me explain this further or change this rule.

Well I

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Okay, so as to not ask for an explanation, I will assume that the action was real given that it was neither applauded nor punished

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Under this assumption, we can say that Solus has a role with an unreliable daykill

Solus is therefore either

a) a firing squad
b) a lying faulty vig
c) a lying mystery role with an unreliable daykill

Firing Squad is by far the most likely assumption, so let's go with that

Under this assumption, Solus is a firing squad and all the world knows it

In that case, unless the case is very compelling, why not simply pressure Solus to use the remaining shot attempts in a boring, but pro-town way?

Basically, a proven ?-shot unreliable dayvig is at town's disposal, and I think that makes that vote a lower-priority one

I am not at all compelled by the "evidence" against Solus and have no real interest in wasting the resource that Solus represents based on one chaos move at the start of day 1

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I agree with that analysis At-Low. At least for today. One question about firing squad cabinet, would Solus need to “retrieve” a gun first at night or do ya reckon he started with one?

I’m not sure it matters just didn’t know

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

That said I would like Solus to post more because this ISO is basically exclusively content related to the dayvig attempt

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Sandwolf posted:

I agree with that analysis At-Low. At least for today. One question about firing squad cabinet, would Solus need to “retrieve” a gun first at night or do ya reckon he started with one?

I’m not sure it matters just didn’t know

My understanding of Firing Squad is as follows

There are 5 guns in the cabinet. 1 is loaded.

As a day action: you may fire 1 random gun from the cabinet.
As a night action: you may discard 1 unloaded gun from the cabinet.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

In other words, assuming the night action is used successfully each night, tomorrow the shot will have a 60% chance of success, and the next day it will have a 100% chance of success.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Wait no that's not math

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

33% then 100% lol

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I refuse to read or understand numbers but I will accept your understanding.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, this is what i get for being nocturnal. discord was down when i woke up so i dont even know my role lmao

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey voodoofly, can u PM me my role pls

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Also

WHO SENT YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AT-LOW posted:

Also

WHO SENT YOU

It's your name is discord when you join initially. You are stuck in my brain as Alex now, I can't explain it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AT-LOW posted:

Also

WHO SENT YOU

Or, I'm you from the future. Don't make the same mistakes I did.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am going to assume that solus had a faulty vig and that he is town alligned

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

regardless, it can be ascertained tomorrow

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

If you're gonna prematurely vig someone at least have it be for a reason and not based on random.org. At least save it for someone who you think is scummy.

i agree, but solus gonna solus

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

I can accept the former, why the latter?

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

Steak please at least read Solus's claim lol

Grandicap posted:

It's your name is discord when you join initially. You are stuck in my brain as Alex now, I can't explain it.

Yeah it's fine, I go by Alex normally it was just funny to see it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CCKeane posted:

Phrasing feels very careful and "Grandicap has at least one BP" feels particularly strange.

actually kind of agreeing with this point.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

I can accept the former, why the latter?

because ive landed on the side of wifom that says he's town for it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw i have my role pm now, all is good

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

btw i have my role pm now, all is good

##vote steak

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

AT-LOW posted:

Under this assumption, we can say that Solus has a role with an unreliable daykill

Solus is therefore either

a) a firing squad
b) a lying faulty vig
c) a lying mystery role with an unreliable daykill

Firing Squad is by far the most likely assumption, so let's go with that

Under this assumption, Solus is a firing squad and all the world knows it

In that case, unless the case is very compelling, why not simply pressure Solus to use the remaining shot attempts in a boring, but pro-town way?

Basically, a proven ?-shot unreliable dayvig is at town's disposal, and I think that makes that vote a lower-priority one

I am not at all compelled by the "evidence" against Solus and have no real interest in wasting the resource that Solus represents based on one chaos move at the start of day 1

Feels like you're assuming Solus is town with this.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

CCKeane posted:

Feels like you're assuming Solus is town with this.

To be more precise, I am refraining from assuming that Solus is scum.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

AT-LOW posted:

Why though? It's weird that you explored all of these scenarios and he is town in all of them.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

AT-LOW posted:

Right, but Solus used his ability in an anti town way.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

So first of all, can we please not reveal the role choices of other players? This is not a good move. I hope you are playing 4D chess and didn't actually choose mason since you are relatively high on the role draft list.

Secondly, this feels forced. This whole thing just reeks of someone who doesn't have a town mentality and is trying to appear to be scumhunting without actually doing it.

##vote Sandwolf

i agree with this, up until you call sandwolf scum for it. its really easy to believe that he just didnt think that far ahead before posting

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

No? First post I told everyone what I was going to pick and I stuck with that. This feels like forced hand-wringing, I’m not even sure you think I’m scum. You think I’m forcing a town mentality early on D1 by bringing a somewhat jokey, somewhat serious point to the attention of thread?

idk what dy's specific issue was, but the thing i was agreeing with, was not that you claimed your own role, but that you outed several other players as potentially having more valuable roles than mason. which i dont need to explain why thats bad

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

My role is role looker and I looked at Steaks role and it just says the word "butts" over and over. Possible farter?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

"oh cool, now I know that I don't have to worry about Sandwolf being one of the roles that can bust me but there's a good chance that Grandicap or Toalpaz could be"

ah ok, so yes i was agreeing with him

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ah gently caress it's Solus AND Grand I think.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

Grandi’s posts about not picking mason are in this drat thread for everyone to read.

so are toalpaz's posts about picking mason.

im not saying you had ill intent (who it seems that's what dy is saying) but i certainly understand dy's point.

however, dy, let it go lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*who --> tho