Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cygni posted:

I bought some 3600CL16 2x16 B-Die when I upgraded, and i absolutely don't think its worth it from what I've seen. Here's my testing. IF/UCLK always in sync, everything is 2 ranks per channel, dual channel on, no PBO or overclocking, 3090 FT3 Ultra with stock settings, same boot drive, win/driver version etc:

No 8700K+3600 cause the B-Die was super unhappy with the 8700K and I wasnt gonna sit there and figure out why when I had the new CPU to play with. :v:

I also did a lot of tests with massaging all of the subtimings, playing with PBO settings all of that... basically none of it was worth the effort considering the stability battle to dial it all in. The only thing that really meaningfully raised the scores was turning SMT... off. But the gains werent huge.

I'm gonna retest all the tweaking stuff later, unfortunately windows pushed an update and I gotta redo the numbers for some of it. But I don't expect anything to change meaningfully. As long as the memory is ~3200 or above, turn XMP on (and resizable BAR) and walk away.

Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
This isn't surprising. Most 2x16 kits of B-Die are ok but not amazing. Most overclocking was done on 2x8 kits where they can single rank on the DIMMs IIRC.

I have a mediocre set and it takes at least 1.42V just to hold 3600 16-17-16 which the ICs are known to handle just fine. Perfectly satisfied with that but not really delighted.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah I tried both 3800CL16 with 1:1 IF and 3600CL14 and neither really gave any measurable gaming performance increase. That’s some of the data that got messed up by windows update and isn’t comparable, so I didn’t include it on that chart.

I imagine there might be better gains in games that are CPU limited and crank 300+ FPS but those aren’t really the kinda games I care about, personally, so I didn’t test any.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Grain of salt, but going up a node for a console revision is interesting:

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1390244523712794630

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kliras posted:

Grain of salt, but going up a node for a console revision is interesting:

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1390244523712794630

I suspect 6 nm should just be an updated version of the current 7 nm, possibly a half-node, so it's not going up a node. I guess it's just going to be too expensive to get a full shrink to 5 nm in the foreseeable future.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Oh I read it as the consoles being 5nm now and going up to 6.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's still mostly just Apple using the 5 nm process at TSMC. Consoles should be on 7 nm with the rest of AMD's stuff.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Yeah that's just me not having had my coffee yet and wishing for some minor Slim revision to fix their dumb coil whine and fan noise issues.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You have coil whine on your console? That sucks!
I have that on my old Wii console when it's in standby mode (red light), though not when it's on or in that semi-standby mode (yellow light) where it could receive updates/messages over the Internet back in the day.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Nah, I just haven't tried buying one yet because of the litany of weird hardware issues. The controllers also seem to need some rework.

Coil whine is one of the worst sounds in the world after I first heard it on my GPU during stress tests. And it's one of those things that reviews struggle to cover.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just setup my Plex server with my old memory and 2600x and it had a super annoying three tone coil wine as activity happened. I swear it was an arpeggio. I turned it off, turned it on its side and booted it back up and the noise was gone. Thank God, hope it doesn't come back.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bofast posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's still mostly just Apple using the 5 nm process at TSMC. Consoles should be on 7 nm with the rest of AMD's stuff.
AMD starts running zen4 on 5nm in q4. But zen4 is allegedly not coming out until the end of 2022 at the earliest.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 6, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I havent messed with my G.Skill B-Die much but I do know it can run DDR 3200 @ 1.25v with rank of 1 on a Ryzen board.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when did lithography become a marketing bullet point, anyway? Was Intel bragging about its 180nm process for Netburst processors? Did AMD brag about finally moving to 32nm after K10?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

when did lithography become a marketing bullet point, anyway? Was Intel bragging about its 180nm process for Netburst processors? Did AMD brag about finally moving to 32nm after K10?

Yeah, they were bragging about that

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Yeah, they were bragging about that

Yep. I can't tell you exactly when it became a thing, but sometime between me being starting highschool (1989) and me starting to work professionally (1996) the narrative shifted from "new this year: the 80486!" to "the [new CPU] will be fabbed on the new 2 micron process".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think sometime around 28 nm both Samsung and TSMC (and probably GlobalFoundries?) started drifting away from fairly standard naming schemes on their processes and adjusted the numbers a bit for marketing, which made them a lot less comparable to Intel who generally stuck to reasonably process numbers (except for the 14+++ nonsense).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is Warhol/Zen 3+ still on track for holiday season 2021, or is it scrapped? I'm currently targeting fall/winter of this year to make my architecture leap for a new desktop platform.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nomyth posted:

Is Warhol/Zen 3+ still on track for holiday season 2021, or is it scrapped? I'm currently targeting fall/winter of this year to make my architecture leap for a new desktop platform.

I don't think there have been any announcements at all and Zen3+ is more an extrapolation from previous practice than anything else. There's not even any hint whether 3+ would be on AM4 or whether AMD will use it for the first run on the new socket.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

It only STOPPED being a marketing point by Intel when it became abundantly clear that Intel wasn't just having "delays" or "problems" with 10nm, but that something was PROFOUNDLY busted. Because why would you point out that you're still stuck on 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nomyth posted:

Rumors are that it’s dead, replaced by an “XT” refresh later this year. One of the last rumors was that it was just going to be a revision on the IO die anyway. With all of the drama surrounding adding Zen3 support to older boards and AMD bending on B550/X570 exclusivity, I wonder if adding another range of products to support was more trouble than it was worth, especially when they can barely keep em in stock anyway.

GN’s sources did imply that Warhol is/was real, but was not “Ryzen 6000”, for whatever that is worth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ahahaha we're gonna get a 5600XT before we even get a 5600 non-X

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Fine by me, now if they'd also shitcan Rembrandt, because nobody wants to see another DDR4 APU with Vega cores, they can completely do away with the entire Zen3+ step.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the rumors I've read are that Zen3+ is Zen3 but on AM5, and that probably makes sense as something to bridge onto the new socket so they don't have to delay that launch if the real Zen4 gets delayed into 2022 due to 5nm capacity problems. (or partially delayed, might be another split launch like Zen3 where either server or consumer launch but not both at the same time). Just swap in a new IO die and they can keep the rest of the process moving.

As far as chipset support... I highly suspect AMD is going to avoid making the big promise of "4 years of socket lifetime with no motherboard swaps" this time around. They seem to be pushing for a rolling window of compatibility, a chipset supports 1 generation behind and one generation ahead of the chips it's released alongside or something like that. That's obviously what they wanted to do with Zen2/Zen3 support. Which is fine but kind of removes the possibility of dropping a big upgrade into your PC in a couple years, since the only chips a motherboard will support will be next year's, you can't skip 2-3 generations anymore.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 7, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m really curious what FCLK a zen 3 chiplet with a new ddr5 io die could run.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AMD previously did a model where AM3 and FM2 would support the first two generations of a CPU, and then you'd need a new board with AM3+ or FM2+ for the newer CPUs, but those sockets/boards would still support the older CPUs

It was sort of a halfway compromise from Intel doing hard changeovers every two generations

I feel like AMD ditched that at first because they were on the back foot after Bulldozer and wanted to offer more value, but by the time they were doing Zen 3, they knew they were successful and competitive enough that they could force a socket change and still sell through their product.

They even tried with the BIOS fuckery until their hand got forced by backlash, but I'd bet that if they had a physical socket ready to go they would have done it, completely bisecting the stack after Zen 2.

A320, B350, and X370 would support Bristol Ridge, Zen 1, Zen+, and Zen 2, and A520, B550, and X570 would support Zen 3 on an AM4+ socket

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 7, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I also wouldn't mind if x86 cooler mounting points were unified between AMD and Intel, AM5 would be a great time to do it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel is moving to new (oblong) mounting points of their own later this year, so prolly won’t happen. Still haven’t heard a peep about AM5 being LGA or PGA, either. I imagine it’s LGA for pin density.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cygni posted:

Intel is moving to new (oblong) mounting points of their own later this year, so prolly won’t happen. Still haven’t heard a peep about AM5 being LGA or PGA, either. I imagine it’s LGA for pin density.

Bring back cartridge cpus like pentium II! (No don’t!!)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

Bring back cartridge cpus like pentium II! (No don’t!!)

They're great as long as you pop it out and blow into the contacts once in a while

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Denver Microcenter has 5950s, 5800s, and 5600s in stock today, but no 5900s. This is the first time I've seen a 5950 in stock since release week, I think.

I know the global semiconductor shortage is far from over, but maybe supply on Zen 3 is -- after six months -- beginning to normalize?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mdxi posted:

Denver Microcenter has 5950s, 5800s, and 5600s in stock today, but no 5900s. This is the first time I've seen a 5950 in stock since release week, I think.

I know the global semiconductor shortage is far from over, but maybe supply on Zen 3 is -- after six months -- beginning to normalize?

You can't mine shitcoins with it, so without the insane demand GPU coin miners are putting on GPU inventory, inventory is slowly beginning to transition from 'paper launch' to 'in stock, on shelves'.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mdxi posted:

Yeah today I noticed that my local Microcenter has the full lineup at MSRP for the first time I have seen.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cygni posted:

Rumors are that it’s dead, replaced by an “XT” refresh later this year. One of the last rumors was that it was just going to be a revision on the IO die anyway. With all of the drama surrounding adding Zen3 support to older boards and AMD bending on B550/X570 exclusivity, I wonder if adding another range of products to support was more trouble than it was worth, especially when they can barely keep em in stock anyway.

GN’s sources did imply that Warhol is/was real, but was not “Ryzen 6000”, for whatever that is worth.

Ah, I didn't catch the fact that AMD was going to let Intel make the first move this winter. I'm late getting off of the Skylake train and having some doubts about the ability of Alder Lake (+ Microsoft OS scheduling) to cater to the DIY crowd

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Any rumors on Van Gogh? Jonesin' for a 20W NUC with Windows, ODROID H2+ with Linux, and a Mac Mini M2 all hanging off the back of the same monitor

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nomyth posted:

Ah, I didn't catch the fact that AMD was going to let Intel make the first move this winter. I'm late getting off of the Skylake train and having some doubts about the ability of Alder Lake (+ Microsoft OS scheduling) to cater to the DIY crowd

There are also rumors that Zen5 is, itself, a big-little design lol. But thats probably talkin 2024-2025 or somethin. Far enough away that the rumors are probably not super accurate.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

There are also rumors that Zen5 is, itself, a big-little design lol. But thats probably talkin 2024-2025 or somethin. Far enough away that the rumors are probably not super accurate.

article for reference: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-3nm-zen5-apus-codenamed-strix-point-rumored-to-feature-big-little-cores

it is probably important to distinguish between Zen the architecture and Ryzen the product here. Zen5 will be the "big" core in this hypothetical configuration, combined with an unknown "little" core. It is probable that AMD will keep offering Zen-only designs for enthusiasts with no little cores, because it costs them basically nothing to put 2-4 Zen chiplets on a package instead of 2 Zen + 2 little chiplets (f.ex).

Although I suppose an assumption I'm making here is that AMD will have Zen-only chiplets and Little-only chiplets. If the chiplets are actually mixed in and of themselves, and they don't have a big-only chiplet, that assumption falls apart. But I think the server market probably will want "big-only' chiplets and if they exist, then it costs AMD basically nothing to offer a product using only big chiplets.

APUs will likely be mixed since that's probably an attractive approach for power optimization (off-chiplet infinity fabric is always relatively power-hungry compared to a monolithic die).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

article for reference: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-3nm-zen5-apus-codenamed-strix-point-rumored-to-feature-big-little-cores

it is probably important to distinguish between Zen the architecture and Ryzen the product here. Zen5 will be the "big" core in this hypothetical configuration, combined with an unknown "little" core. It is probable that AMD will keep offering Zen-only designs for enthusiasts with no little cores, because it costs them basically nothing to put 2-4 Zen chiplets on a package instead of 2 Zen + 2 little chiplets (f.ex).

Although I suppose an assumption I'm making here is that AMD will have Zen-only chiplets and Little-only chiplets. If the chiplets are actually mixed in and of themselves, and they don't have a big-only chiplet, that assumption falls apart. But I think the server market probably will want "big-only' chiplets and if they exist, then it costs AMD basically nothing to offer a product using only big chiplets.

APUs will likely be mixed since that's probably an attractive approach for power optimization (off-chiplet infinity fabric is always relatively power-hungry compared to a monolithic die).

Paul, you're more familiar with Intel than I am, are you aware of any functional benefits to die-stacking a la Foveros with regards to power consumption? Because I think there's still an AMD patent from a handful of years back when we were still speculating that the IO die was going to be an interposer that Zen chiplets and an HBM bump were stacked onto.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

Thats a good point, I hadnt considered the little cores being off on their own ~Shame chiplet~. There is gonna be a lot of complexity in this next wave of chiplet/tile, big-little, fighting ARM, fully SoC tom foolery were gonna be entering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And just think, if AMD hadn't come back, we'd still be staring at 4c/8t on 14nm.