Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Also some niggles:
* Everyone speaks in a perfect American accent. I would have preferred romanian VO, but would have settled for english with slav accents.
* Big anime villain vibes from the fuckoff hammers, come on Capcom oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It sounds like if you’re not having fun on the hard mode because you keep dying that it is very good advice to stop playing on hard mode

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Drunk guy in Luiza's house cutscene hamming it up reminded me of Vincent DiNofrio which I thought was pretty funny.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Armitag3 posted:

Drunk guy in Luiza's house cutscene hamming it up reminded me of Vincent DiNofrio which I thought was pretty funny.

Within the first like ~2 hours of the game I met one character who clearly recieved voice direction to sound like Keanu, and another who clearly was told to sound like Nick Cage lol

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah the English signage and voice acting really doesn’t sell me on this Eastern European village setting lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Made it through that survive sequence the first time through but spent 20min looking for a way and/or new items to get into louizas house before noticing the hole in the wall :doh:

Also, I'm not sure what's happening, but I'm getting 70-144fps at all times even on ultra settings but i get horrible microstutter unless i turn everything to medium/low

site fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 8, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also the lettering on that signage, woof. It's almost as bad as the signs in Fallout 3. Just very obvious TrueType Font in low resolution, blown-up to the texture resolution of the signs.

I also saw a stream just prior to release where an an enemy clipped through the floor from underneath the player. Yeah, this game has some issues. It's too early to say it's "bad", I guess? There are definitely things I like about it so far, mostly that it feels like a mashup of 4 and 7. I like the lycan enemies way more than the molds from RE7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, a quick mention:

The Bonus Shop in RE8 functions EXACTLY like the one in RE3make, so once you have it unlocked you can just go to a save -> Do whatever -> Restart -> Repeat until you unlock points easily.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZeeBoi posted:

Yeah the English signage and voice acting really doesn’t sell me on this Eastern European village setting lol

yeah. like i feel like them talking in Romanian would have helped it a bit more because the ganados are loving scary as gently caress even if its New world Spanish and not Castilian. but that was more the voice people behind the ganados then the language difference. idk. i am fine with it being a MGS3 type deal where everything is just "translated". maybe ethan speaks romanian.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Man, screw this castle.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I only just defeated the second daughter and my save file says 3:06. There’s no way I’m finishing this in 10 hours like reviewers did. :newlol:

(I’m being very meticulous about making all rooms on the map blue.)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The audio is amazing in this game. I'm just using basic Sennheiser 598s with the dualsense

_____!
May 2, 2004

Is anyone here able to even play this on PC with a 1080 or equivalent?! The game itself runs fine until a cutscene happens then it runs slow as hell and desyncs audio/subtitles display way late/Chris is silent. I haven't even made it to any gameplay (putting baby to sleep doesn't count) and I turned a bunch of settings down. Not to be too inflammatory but legitimately Cyberpunk at launch ran better than this:gonk:.

For the love of god please help because it's very hard trying to avoid spoilers while trying to find if others have had this problem too. Pausing and unpausing doesn't resolve it nor does variable frame rate which others have said works (also updated gfx drivers.)

Reading this back I sound desperate as hell but to be fair mainline Resident Evil games are one of the few things I want to go blind into.

_____! fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 8, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh yeah just so you don’t feel that sting of disappointment after the fact: you apparently cannot return to the castle after you have left it so it’s worth your time trying to sweep it for treasures and items.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The intro is giving me The Nightmare Before Christmas vibes.

Edit: this game looks amazing with a proper TV with local dimming zones (probably greater with people with OLED TVs)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

_____! posted:

Is anyone here able to even play this on PC with a 1080 or equivalent?! The game itself runs fine until a cutscene happens then it runs slow as hell and desyncs audio/subtitles display way late/Chris is silent. I haven't even made it to any gameplay (putting baby to sleep doesn't count) and I turned a bunch of settings down. Not to be too inflammatory but legitimately Cyberpunk at launch ran better than this:gonk:.

I've heard about people playing it on potatoes, so a 1080 should definitely be more than enough. Sounds like you're running into some particularly nasty bug. Apparently some people have solved it by just hitting escape, leaving it for a bit, and then letting it run? Also try disabling virtual surround sound.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ZeeBoi posted:

I only just defeated the second daughter and my save file says 3:06. There’s no way I’m finishing this in 10 hours like reviewers did. :newlol:

(I’m being very meticulous about making all rooms on the map blue.)

Ironically I've come to post the exact opposite; my save is just under 5 hours and I feel like I'm on the homestretch. This game is fairly linear it seems and there isn't all that much in the way of back tracking. I haven't tried to comb over the rooms to make them all blue though, I've tried my best but some rooms I don't know where the gently caress something could be hiding so I just didn't bother.

Also, all of the promotional material for the game focused so much one the Tiddy Giant and her castle it felt like that setting would have been most of the game. I ended up quite disappointed once I finished that area only to find I wouldn't be back (it seems like I won't be, there's no way back in) and all of the subsequent areas haven't been as interesting.

Really like the game though, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with how short the game seems to be. It also feels like there's not much time to breathe and you're just railroaded from one section to another.

_____!
May 2, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've heard about people playing it on potatoes, so a 1080 should definitely be more than enough. Sounds like you're running into some particularly nasty bug. Apparently some people have solved it by just hitting escape, leaving it for a bit, and then letting it run? Also try disabling virtual surround sound.

Hmm I don't have virtual surround on just normal 5.1 so unfortunately that probably isn't it. I get screen tearing while walking around the house so I doubt the game is considering my hardware to be that sad (also every other game I've thrown at it seems OK including RE2 remake). I appreciate the help, thank you! Like I said I'm desperate!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sigher posted:

Ironically I've come to post the exact opposite; my save is just under 5 hours and I feel like I'm on the homestretch. This game is fairly linear it seems and there isn't all that much in the way of back tracking. I haven't tried to comb over the rooms to make them all blue though, I've tried my best but some rooms I don't know where the gently caress something could be hiding so I just didn't bother.

Also, all of the promotional material for the game focused so much one the Tiddy Giant and her castle it felt like that setting would have been most of the game. I ended up quite disappointed once I finished that area only to find I wouldn't be back (it seems like I won't be, there's no way back in) and all of the subsequent areas haven't been as interesting.

Really like the game though, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with how short the game seems to be. It also feels like there's not much time to breathe and you're just railroaded from one section to another.

I will say that once you reach what seems like the home stretch you have another like 2 areas to go through so it's longer than it seems. Around Around 8-10 hours feels like a reasonable estimate assuming you're poking around for secrets and such.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

_____! posted:

For the love of god please help because it's very hard trying to avoid spoilers while trying to find if others have had this problem too. Pausing and unpausing doesn't resolve it nor does variable frame rate which others have said works (also updated gfx drivers.)

Reading this back I sound desperate as hell but to be fair mainline Resident Evil games are one of the few things I want to go blind into.

There are certain enemies in the game early on with graphical effects that have caused some systems to perform really poorly and desync. Don't know what could be causing it in the initial cutscene with Chris. And you should be good since the recommended hardware spec is a 1070.

_____!
May 2, 2004

ErrEff posted:

There are certain enemies in the game early on with graphical effects that have caused some systems to perform really poorly and desync. Don't know what could be causing it in the initial cutscene with Chris. And you should be good since the recommended hardware spec is a 1070.

The real survival horror is I'll never make it out of the house :v:

Edit: just in case it helps my specs are:
I7 7700k
16 gigs ram
gtx 1080
Samsung Evo ssd

_____! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 8, 2021

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Why does Chris look so different compared to RE5?

RE5 owned, one of my favorite co op games ever. Not so sure about RE6 though

_____!
May 2, 2004

Wearing a peacoat is always a fashion revolution. Look new with a classic style.

Or comedy option RE1 Chris looks way different than Code Veronica than RE5 than RE6 than 7 than 8...:q:

Maybe they aren't the same Chris:aaaaa:

_____! fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 8, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that once you reach what seems like the home stretch you have another like 2 areas to go through so it's longer than it seems. Around Around 8-10 hours feels like a reasonable estimate assuming you're poking around for secrets and such.

Interesting, I'm currently at the Mill, just went through a whole bunch of Werewolves in a pretty large room taking up a bunch of my ammo. Is this the part you're talking about? If there's a good chunk more than I'm pretty relieved.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rabid Snake posted:

The intro is giving me The Nightmare Before Christmas vibes.

The intro fairy tale is unironically better than Disney's recent output, which is hilarious

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

_____! posted:

Wearing a peacoat is always a fashion revolution. Look new with a classic style.

Or comedy option RE1 Chris looks way different than Code Veronica than RE5 than RE6 than 7 than 8...:q:

Maybe they aren't the same Chris:aaaaa:

chris' squad always gets killed, so umbrella's experimenting with a squad of chrises

this will either be a fantastic idea or a disastrous one

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

sigher posted:

Interesting, I'm currently at the Mill, just went through a whole bunch of Werewolves in a pretty large room taking up a bunch of my ammo. Is this the part you're talking about? If there's a good chunk more than I'm pretty relieved.

Yes, you have a fair bit more ahead.

edit: added spoiler tags

trigger9631 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 8, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im one miniboss down and the game has really picked up a lot, Im constantly out of shotgun ammo and first aid kits but for the most part Im able to limp from setpiece to setpiece.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

ZeeBoi posted:

Oh yeah just so you don’t feel that sting of disappointment after the fact: you apparently cannot return to the castle after you have left it so it’s worth your time trying to sweep it for treasures and items.

2021 and video game designers are still loving up points of no return.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

chris' squad always gets killed, so umbrella's experimenting with a squad of chrises

this will either be a fantastic idea or a disastrous one

Just elaborating on this the ending to the Chris campaign in RE6 is totally the ending to Armageddon, right?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well, I can’t seem to get the library blue. Might be a bug.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

trigger9631 posted:

Yes, you have a fair bit more ahead.

edit: added spoiler tags

Awesome! Thanks.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I held onto the starter pistol and shotgun the whole way through the game because I thought they were stylish and that maybe they'd get a capstone upgrade ala RE4 that gives them something competitive but it looks like the later stuff really is just straight up better barring the price tag. I like that even the grenade launcher is this ornate filigreed thing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Once I quit Hardcore and embraced Standard, I’m having a ton more fun. Great game so far

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The developers of this game deserve to live under constant REAL fear of real life werewolf assault for the opening Survive sequence on hard mode. This poo poo sucks rear end!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This game whips rear end. I think my only complaint has to do with a bonus unlockable mode that I don't know if I should be spoiling:

I've only played around with Mercenaries in 8 a little bit, and I do enjoy it, but I kinda miss the challenge presented by figuring out how to make use of a fixed load-out. Maybe later stages have a more limited shop selection? I dunno, very minor quibble.

As an aside, does picking the same perk more than once in Mercs do anything? I tried doubling up on the Close Combat perk but it was right at the end of the run so there were like three dudes left to test it on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doing the survival bit at the beginning on hardcore was tricky but when I finally got it right it was with a lot of room for error. You want to stall as much as possible before using a bag of flour/explosive barrel to get the enemies off of you and move to another safe spot. Also, you’re allowed to double back to the first house from before the beginning of the sequence and move the shelf back in front of the door.

The game does a really bad job at telling you this unless you check the hints menu, you can press L1 again right after blocking an attack to punch the enemy away and get them off of you.

After that section the difficulty on hardcore has been a lot smoother so far.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is this more RE4/5 camp and less RE7 yuck?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

Is this more RE4/5 camp and less RE7 yuck?

Tonewise it is extremely in the RE4/5 camp and intentionally homages a whole bunch of stuff from RE4 so they know what they're going for. Gameplay-wise it's basically identical to RE7 but with the RE4 inventory system and weapon upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

This is the first time in a while where I've played an RE game and actively chosen the knife instead of a gun. I don't know why but for some reason FPS Resident Evil makes me forget how shooting in an FPS works and my aim goes to poo poo.

Good thing those wolf dorks go down pretty good if you stab em enough times.

I got as far as through the gates to the castle and died a couple times at the grinder thing. It's definitely got an excellent atmosphere and creepy vibe so far.

It's real good.