Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

EvilJoven posted:

Ran into someone riding a hand built titanium MTB with a one of a kind suspension fork based off of something he saw on a motorcycle or something. It was wild.

gently caress, this rules. And square tubing too?! Awesome. Did he build it himself or say who did it for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
He built it by hand. Has a parent on the fork, too.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Shadowhand00 posted:

I saw a super nice panasonic randonneur bike a few years ago at NAHBS:

https://theradavist.com/2018/02/2018-nahbs-panasonic-randonneur-with-shimano-ultegra/

They make some really cool stuff.

Super jealous of that Motobecane . What an excellent find. Same with the Cinelli.

I liked that this bike had electronic shifting that didn't actually work at all, but they put on there for nahbs aesthetic.

Had a nice evening mtb ride after work today.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 23, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

bicievino posted:

I liked that this bike had electronic shifting that didn't actually work at all, but they put on there for nahbs aesthetic.

That is one fine-rear end bicycle.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

:five:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
@bici, that lilac is awesome.

Here's my Timberjack after a wet day on the trails. No rain the past few days, but there was still a ton of 6" deep pools on the trail and a lot of leaves holding in moisture.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Raaad, your bike looks thirsty. Leaning over to sip from a stream.

I haven't experienced the joy of wet leaves on my mtb yet. We went straight from "snow on the ground/rainy every ride" to "holy poo poo it's dusty" here in Seattle.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

bicievino posted:

Raaad, your bike looks thirsty. Leaning over to sip from a stream.

I haven't experienced the joy of wet leaves on my mtb yet. We went straight from "snow on the ground/rainy every ride" to "holy poo poo it's dusty" here in Seattle.

Haha, I was the thirsty one. Dumb of me to go on a 4 hour ride with only one bottle, but at least it was a fairly cool day. One of the rivnuts on the downtube had loosened and I couldn't get the bolt out to add another cage. I was able to crimp it tighter after the ride.

Wet leaves are sketchy, tough to get traction when climbing over wet rocks and leaves.

Probably TMI, but I've been dealing with a Giardia infection that went undiagnosed for seven months and I was extra freaked out a bit by the water getting splashed everywhere. I ended up unscrewing the top of the bottle to drink in an attempt to avoid contact with raw groundwater or mud droplets. I should probably get a hydration pack.

I guess I'd prefer dusty right now.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My tan wall senderos were getting pretty worn, and now that I have a hardtail I probably won’t ride my gravel bike on quite as much rowdy terrain. So I’ve swapped to something better for the pavement and hard pack I ride most of the time (and I basically never ride in the wet).

Went with the Venture, same size. Tan wall was not in stock, so it’s back in black:

And aforementioned hardtail which I’ve just refreshed to loan for a ride to mr dick wood himself

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Steve French posted:

My tan wall senderos were getting pretty worn, and now that I have a hardtail I probably won’t ride my gravel bike on quite as much rowdy terrain. So I’ve swapped to something better for the pavement and hard pack I ride most of the time (and I basically never ride in the wet).

Went with the Venture, same size. Tan wall was not in stock, so it’s back in black:

And aforementioned hardtail which I’ve just refreshed to loan for a ride to mr dick wood himself

I love that RLT

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Get an orange collar for your dog, make it all match 100%.

Very nice bikes.

And a very fine doggo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ExecuDork posted:

Get an orange collar for your dog, make it all match 100%.

Very nice bikes.

And a very fine doggo.

Dog singular???

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Obligatory Cathedral Park shot

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Dog singular???

Sneaky little doggo in the background! I didn't see you! Yes, all good doggos get bright orange! (and all doggos are good doggos, duh)

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
My red bike has been on a slight diet this Autumn. I got some Mavic Heliums for it and also swapped out the (comfy) Selle Rolls saddle for a (very comfy) Fizik Arione. It's now 9.26kg which is heavy for a modern bike but I think light for a steel bike.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Biggus Duckus posted:

Obligatory Cathedral Park shot

Beautiful bike, and one of my favorite places in Portland!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Last day in this area of Mendocino

I rode these very trails in 17' the day of the night it caught fire. surreal.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

cursedshitbox posted:

drat, that's wild

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

cursedshitbox posted:

Did you just...confess to arson?

(Years ago there was a big fire in suburban north county San Diego. When I heard where all the fires were my first thought was “wow, those fires are all along a regular riding route, maybe a cyclist started it.” Turns out it was a disgruntled junior racer who did it!)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

tylertfb posted:

Did you just...confess to arson?

(Years ago there was a big fire in suburban north county San Diego. When I heard where all the fires were my first thought was “wow, those fires are all along a regular riding route, maybe a cyclist started it.” Turns out it was a disgruntled junior racer who did it!)

nah wasn't me. That racer should have his head kicked in for that. Fire season in this state is bad enough without idiots making it worse. [insert pg&e joke]

Rode in on a moto*, had a flat on Bartlet Springs Road. Turned around and rode back out with the flat. spent the next several hours at a local tire shop getting the tire fixed(safety bead + new bike and lack of tools, etc). While that went down a fire had started on the backside of the mountain some miles from where we were. Due to the high winds that night several other fires started in the region impacting our ability to ride back home to the bay area. It was something else to ride home briskly with fires burning down the hills towards the roads and high winds belting us with limbs and debris at the same time.

I've not been back till a few days ago due to road closures and avoiding causing any trail damage with my equipment. Its good to see that natures doing its thing and recovering just fine.

*my motos run spark arresters and or stock exhausts. So does my truck/camper.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A month ago I picked up a very beat up and neglected Bianchi off CL. Had been abused and then left in a garage for who know how many years and came with a 20t freewheel. Covered in oily soot and grime and scratched all over.

Disassembled everything and sanded then repainted the all-white portions of the frame and deep cleaned everything else. New Cinelli pepper bars, new stem, new 28c Gatorskins, new 18t shimano freewheel, and new blue chain to match the original spec. Was going to get a better saddle but the cheapo Endzone saddle is actually really comfortable.

Its got an aluminum frame a rad aero carbon fork. Running 48-18 which is perfect for the hills here. Great urban assault vehicle.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 8, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Dat chain :eyepop:

looks good cspammer

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Chinatown posted:

A month ago I picked up a very beat up and neglected Bianchi off CL. Had been abused and then left in a garage for who know how many years and came with a 20t freewheel. Covered in oily soot and grime and scratched all over.

Disassembled everything and sanded then repainted the all-white portions of the frame and deep cleaned everything else. New Cinelli pepper bars, new stem, new 28c Gatorskins, new 18t shimano freewheel, and new blue chain to match the original spec. Was going to get a better saddle but the cheapo Endzone saddle is actually really comfortable.

Its got an aluminum frame a rad aero carbon fork. Running 48-18 which is perfect for the hills here. Great urban assault vehicle.

It's like 2005 all over again!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Canyon unveiled their new drop bar MTB today and it's pretty sick. Takes up to 50mm by spec, probably fits 55s though.

that purple is fuckin' hoooooooooot

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The only women’s bike is the lowest grade carbon version and is pink.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

If the conditions are bad, you may as well have a full value day.

(I posted a project thread in AI for this shitheap bike, too.)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Linux Fairy posted:

If the conditions are bad, you may as well have a full value day.

(I posted a project thread in AI for this shitheap bike, too.)

doing it right

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I was going to wait until new cranks arrived to post this, but they're stuck somewhere in shipping limbo and I'm impatient. So:

Look at this dumb fun deathtrap:

Those lovely swaged cranks definitely have play with the chainring, and it's super noticeable every time I want to slow down/skid. Also that chainring is bent a little bit, just not enough to drop the chain. There's no world in which I ride this without brakes, or for much more than around the block until they get replaced.

The original plan was to blue the whole frame, but it's stainless aluminum I guess so it's only the forks. There's a few layers of clear coat on all of it. Honestly, it probably looks better this way. The mountain bike tube frame protector is the cherry on top.

That or the as-silly-as-I-could-make-it brake setup:

It's reasonably practical too, since I like to stay in the drops.

I bought this basically out of a scrap heap to build up a a short-distance commuter/toy, and for about $200 total (including the aforementioned crankset), I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Beater bikes are fun too.

Before pic (not counting the bent short risers I immediately swapped) for those interested:

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 14, 2021

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The original plan was to blue the whole frame, but it's stainless I guess so it's only the forks.
are you sure about this? this looks a lot like aluminum, not stainless.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Development posted:

are you sure about this? this looks a lot like aluminum, not stainless.

I'm not terribly sure, no. It's not magnetic, but from what little I read some stainless isn't either. The frame (not including forks) is almost exactly 4 lbs, which might be on the heavy side of aluminum? The thing that made me lean towards stainless is that I used an angle grinder with a wire cup to help remove the the paint after the chemical stripper, and it didn't mar the metal a ton. I could easily be wrong though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I am not the most bike frame material smarty pants guy but the only stainless steel I've heard of being used for frames is generally expensive as hell compared to regular steel because it's harder to work with

Maybe there's like cheap stainless stuff out there but I dunno

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That unicrown fork might be carbon fiber under the paint

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

That unicrown fork might be carbon fiber under the paint

Har har.

If stainless is uncommon and expensive then it's probably aluminium, and I guess the wire cup I used isn't very harsh. I was basing my assumption on all of about 10mins of googling things like "how to tell stainless vs aluminum."

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

2018 Diverge Comp something or other, got 10ish in yesterday and am now waiting on my Brooks C15 to be delivered, because I don't like what's on there at all.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Har har.

If stainless is uncommon and expensive then it's probably aluminium, and I guess the wire cup I used isn't very harsh. I was basing my assumption on all of about 10mins of googling things like "how to tell stainless vs aluminum."
Those welds are a dead give away, it's aluminium.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So I have actual content (for a change)

Edinburgh bicycle exchange used to sell their own tourers and this was pretty much the last one. I call it the “I spent all my money on the hideously expensive steel and carbon frame and then ran out of money for everything else” bike.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
this was basically the last carbon road bike under 3000 euros for sale in my size in the Netherlands

(TCR Advanced Disk 1, 2021 model)

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Samopsa posted:

this was basically the last carbon road bike under 3000 euros for sale in my size in the Netherlands

Hell yeah, leuk fiets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Samopsa posted:

Takes a lot of bike to make that crank look good! Nice whip.