Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rhyno posted:

I love Jean Smart, this looks like it might be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE51pzVpwBg

I'll be stealing that Picasso joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I've watched exactly one episode of bar rescue and it seemed like one of the fakest reality shows ever made. It made Pawn Stars look real.

Bar Rescue is really blatant about it, they force storylines, literally script and feed lines, people appear will ask for direction or what to do. He also pushes the hell out of his software or service he peddles and injects into every bar. I'd love to know how many of those Bars end up paying for that poo poo after the free period is over.

The show does have a better "success rate" than Kitchen Nightmares. KN is about quarter to last after the show, Bar Rescue a little over half. Granted, not any meaningful measurement here. I also figure a Bar is just an easier business to keep running, you have to really be a doofus to gently caress up being a drug dealer where they come to you. Guy Fieri smokes them both though, with his strategy of only visiting successful restaurants, barely any have closed and of those who have, none blame their failure on the Guy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I didn't think Guy Fieri's show was about turning around failing restaurants though, just highlighting shitholes people already liked?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

IRQ posted:

I didn't think Guy Fieri's show was about turning around failing restaurants though, just highlighting shitholes people already liked?

Yeah, Guy just shows up and samples their popular dishes and peaces out. Although I do remember in the early days a couple of tiny local places that got famous couldn’t handle the new attention and had to close because their food standards slipped in an effort to try and keep up with demand.

Not necessarily Guy’s fault though, and the past year has shown that he’s probably one of the most decent human beings on Food Network.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

Bar Rescue is really blatant about it, they force storylines, literally script and feed lines, people appear will ask for direction or what to do. He also pushes the hell out of his software or service he peddles and injects into every bar. I'd love to know how many of those Bars end up paying for that poo poo after the free period is over.

The show does have a better "success rate" than Kitchen Nightmares. KN is about quarter to last after the show, Bar Rescue a little over half. Granted, not any meaningful measurement here. I also figure a Bar is just an easier business to keep running, you have to really be a doofus to gently caress up being a drug dealer where they come to you. Guy Fieri smokes them both though, with his strategy of only visiting successful restaurants, barely any have closed and of those who have, none blame their failure on the Guy.

Yeah, I haven't watched Bar Rescue in forever but every episode basically amounts to "gently caress your dream, sell your booze at a premium, don't give it away, provide some food to draw more people in, fire bad/drunk/stealing employees, and loving clean your bar!" They're pretty much all failing because their owners/managers are incompetent, crazy, drunk, or checked out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of the restaurants Guy visits aren't diners, drive-ins, or dives, but actually hipster or fancy places. I guess they ran out of places to go because this pizzeria has an imported oven from France that costs like 15 grand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOpwTdMPOUc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lots of the bars on Bar Rescue aren’t even failing, they just want to be on TV. All the stuff that gets installed is ripped out after filming. I can’t stand Tapper and his godawful taste.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm what order do you all rank 12 monkeys, continuum and travellers?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I give serious props to Continuum for filming in Vancouver and not pretending to be anywhere else. Canada has evil corporations too. Travelers gets bogged down with super tired personal drama especially with the angry black cop and the ignored wife. 12 Monkeys is a fun show but I think it has too many episodes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Rhyno gonna back me up on this I think but

12 Monkeys >>>>>>> Continuum > Travellers

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In regards to Kitchen Nightmares and Bar Rescue, what about Restaurant Impossible with that guy on Food Network where they rip out part of the infastructure to re-decorate the restaurant.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Khanstant posted:

Kitchen Nightmares is a fun little Rorschach test. The British version is lots of "oh Gordon, we have one Michelin star but we want two!" while the US version is mostly "do you donkeys realize the food expires???"

Whether or not the concept survives is mostly down to the fundamental problems in operations. I don't care how good the show is, unless they are spending a season with you, they aren't going to retrain incompetent managers or teach an owner how to read a P&L.

What shows like this can do is buy new equipment, remodel, and give :airquote: free :airquote: advertising. The restaurants on KN that need those things pretty much universally do well afterwards. But if Gordon has to teach you that "mold is bad" or "menu updates are good" or "buying $20,000 of product you don't need is also bad" then the place is probably hosed no matter what.

And yeah, a bar is easier to keep running because the profit margins are insane. Even the rotgut is usually bought for ~$0.11 per ounce and sold for upwards of >$4 per ounce.
:homebrew:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

I'm what order do you all rank 12 monkeys, continuum and travellers?

Continuum >>>> 12 Monkeys >> Travelers.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Kitchen Nightmares is a fun little Rorschach test. The British version is lots of "oh Gordon, we have one Michelin star but we want two!" while the US version is mostly "do you donkeys realize the food expires???"

I think the Amy's Baking Company kitchen nightmares, one of the few I've seen, is peak trashy tv; and the British version is weirdly wholesome in comparison.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You know I thought this was weird casting when I heard it, and I have no interest in watching this, but drat. That's a helluva transformation for both.

https://twitter.com/pamandtommy/status/1390800174818029570

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
British Kitchen Nightmares is genuinely good, Gordon just travels around and helps restaurants, no unnecessary drama.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even the British version is fake. Most of the participants say it's highly edited to make them look bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

Even the British version is fake. Most of the participants say it's highly edited to make them look bad.

Yeah, they deserve it. I would never let one of them into my restaurant. :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TV Zombie posted:

In regards to Kitchen Nightmares and Bar Rescue, what about Restaurant Impossible with that guy on Food Network where they rip out part of the infastructure to re-decorate the restaurant.

It's no better, like 25% survival rate

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Continuum and 12 Monkeys are a coin flip in what you are looking to get out of a show, and Travelers is clearly not as good as the other two. They are unquestionably great, Travelers is just really really good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Azhais posted:

It's no better, like 25% survival rate

tbf that is about the normal 3-year survival rate :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

isaboo posted:

Occasionally Continuum and 12M flip because I love them both the same amount.

All three shows are fantastic and all three stuck the landing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just watch Lost Girl

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Travellers started off really good, but then became kinda dumb during the end, I could never get into the other two.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Travelers was really precious with its cast and their characters lingered on, sucking up screen time with tedious inane plots.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
This discussion reminds me that I really need to rewatch Continuum because I barely remember anything about it other than that it kicks rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It has Roger Cross and Ryan Robbins which makes it the most Canadian show ever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Inspector 34 posted:

This discussion reminds me that I really need to rewatch Continuum because I barely remember anything about it other than that it kicks rear end.

It's basically "gently caress capitalism". That's the plot. It never stops being the plot. Consider how much capitalism sucks and eventually it'll all come back to you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mulva posted:

It's basically "gently caress capitalism". That's the plot. It never stops being the plot. Consider how much capitalism sucks and eventually it'll all come back to you.

The well to do highly successful future characters have a scene where they, as massively successful young people, have finally paid off their "birth debt" and thus no longer have to worry about being sent to a prison factory where they assemble the future iPhones all day while living in an 8x8 cell for the rest of their lives.

Its implied the worlds richest man is disgusted with the whole thing and he tried to invent time travel in order to kill himself as a child before he invented the miracle tech that changed the world into what it became. Except maybe he didn't, and time travelers have been part of society for millennia, or they haven't. Something something space Marines eventually.

It's real good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

12 Monkeys >> Travelers >>>>>>>>>>>> Continuum

I didn't even finish Continuum it bored me so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But...

Roger Cross

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sitting here watching Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix and all I can think about is how much I prefer watching a Lovecraft adventure instead of yet another superhero show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

isaboo posted:

Tried to finally watch 12 Monkey's 4th season after a couple of years ago finishing the 3rd one and its largely incomprehensible due to the soap operatic plot convulsions and reversions that made up even the introductory season preview recap

That poster was right 12 monkeys had too many eposodes

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

TV Zombie posted:

Robert Irvine who is a fraud who got his first show based on lies about his accomplishments in the Royal Navy and has never run a successful restaurant himself.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I started binging The Office right after the start of COVID and gave up because S1 sucked poo poo. I recently picked the show back up (thank you, Delta Air Lines in-flight entertainment, for having S2 E1-6) and it definitely has charm, but I'm on "Initiation" (S3 E5) and have fast-forwarded through most of the episode because, as fun as Jim, Pam, and the supporting cast (save Angela, who seems to exist to walk into a room, get huffy, angrily shake her shoulders, and walk out of the room), I can't do any extended Michael or Dwight scenes anymore and can tell already Ed Helms is going to be equally irritating.

Michael is insufferable. He’s not fun. His assholery isn’t made fun by the character or Steve Carell. (He reminds me of Allen Gregory, who was an absolute shitstain Jonah Hill thought people would like because he was a “cute” kid.) He’s a petulant poo poo and infinitely punchable, at times, reminding me of Trump: "I'm an incompetent jackass, but it's all about me! I love bragging about myself and pretending I'm the greatest embodiment of excellence and masculinity on the planet!".

Not even his antics to frantically dig him out of his many holes are fun on their own (in Booze Cruise, as always, he's supposed to do work, blows it off, and keeps trying to shoehorn it in to no avail; only Rob Riggle putting him in zip ties got a laugh) and the only time I've felt sympathy for him was when he gets absolutely clowned at the end of The Dundies or when he has his heart to heart with Jim at the end of Booze Cruise (I'm getting the feeling that episode is one of the more memorable).

Meanwhile, Dwight feels like he's one Jim prank or anything short of adoration from Michael from going postal; again, the character is painful and Rainn Wilson is painful playing the character, but at least he has his moments; (though again, Rob Riggle to the rescue putting him at the fake steering wheel to get him the hell out of the way in Booze Cruise was good).

I had more of an effortpost drawn up but, even though people who told me to get at least through S2 and 3 were right and I was wrong to tap out, I guess it can be summed up by asking "Am I doing this show wrong?" and "Where's a good point to stop?". And how the gently caress is Gay Witch Hunt allowed to air at this point?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You’re describing how I felt about s1 but not how I felt about the show from the s2 premiere onwards. Sounds like it maybe isn’t for you :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re describing how I felt about s1 but not how I felt about the show from the s2 premiere onwards. Sounds like it maybe isn’t for you :(

I mean, the Jim and Pam stuff, everything Ryan, and most of Kelly's scenes are fun and I've genuinely enjoyed them. It's almost like the show would be much better if they'd found a way to make the boss and his desperate for attention sidekick at all redeemable.

If they'd made a spinoff where Jim and Ryan start their own company and took everyone but Michael and Dwight with them, I'd watch the poo poo out of it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, about how "Gay Witch Hunt" is allowed to air at this point, keep in mind that "this point" was 15 years ago.

For what it's worth, I think the final 9 episodes of season 5 are very good and the last time the show really tries (or at least tries and succeeds) to shake up its premise. I won't spoil everything, but suffice to say it's a very good story arc with a great guest star.

Personally my suggestion is, at the end of season 5, just completely skip season 6 which is a total non-entity outside of two heavily built-up "event episodes", pick back up at the start of season 7, and there will be an episode near the end of season 7 that, once you get there, you can just quit the show entirely.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Just as I make that original post, Michael's "Ok, Dwight. This isn't Lord of the Rings" line during Dwight's explanation of Diwali got a genuine laugh. :golfclap:

Chairman Capone posted:

For what it's worth, I think the final 9 episodes of season 5 are very good and the last time the show really tries (or at least tries and succeeds) to shake up its premise. I won't spoil everything, but suffice to say it's a very good story arc with a great guest star.

Personally my suggestion is, at the end of season 5, just completely skip season 6 which is a total non-entity outside of two heavily built-up "event episodes", pick back up at the start of season 7, and there will be an episode near the end of season 7 that, once you get there, you can just quit the show entirely.

Thanks. I feel like I wanted to make it to at least The Dinner Party (which I guess is peak Office based on some of the hype I've seen) and see where it went from there, but this is a good write-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Girls5eva is funny as poo poo

Yeah nobody who is a fan of things like Kimmy Schmidt, 30 Rock and stuff like that should be skipping this, it’s great fun. Can see me binging it across the weekend. Most laugh out loud dialog I’ve heard in time.