Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wondering if The Boys will get another season is like worrying that Game of Thrones would get cancelled in the middle lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Game of Thrones did get cancelled in the middle. :colbert:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Game of Thrones should have been cancelled in the middle. :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watch it up through battle at the ice wall and make up for yourself everything that happened after that, and it will probably be better than the actual show or whatever George railroad Martin isn't even actually working on.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The Runaways did the same. The first season was like the first two issues. Just unbelievably boring filler. It's just arrogance to "save the good poo poo" for season 2.

The Boys did it right by front loading all the hooks.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

wait...there's people who dont know there's a new season of The Boys coming (and Doom Patrol)?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'll be happy when they stop adapting garth ennis/mark millar/frank miller stuff period, so i guess never
Sure, I liked Preacher when I was 13...and I guess there's approximately one comic of Millar's I found semi-tolerable (Huck, and I guess Red Son)
but mostly they're the holy trinity of making the most tedious edgelord white boy poo poo possible, and almost everything they've made is improved by adaptation solely because of how much the originals are loving garbage that would only be tolerated in the world of comics.

Like, for example, there was really no way but up when adapting The Boys. No matter who did it. Just the most puerile infantile garbage. Genuinely complete trash. That they salvaged a half decent show out of it is almost impressive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Mitchells vs The Machines absolutely owned.

Just a total joy. Mike Rianda + Lord and Miller is an absolutely perfect combination of manic childish humor and sharp biting comedy with a perfectly classic family movie vibe.

The animation was spectacular to be expected.

Yeah, I threw the movie on randomly and was like, "Ok I am engaged. This is amazing." I had zero expectations, not knowing a thing about it, and came out absolutely adoring everything about the movie. Love, love, love it. The mom is my favorite, lmao. Little brother is a close second :3:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Shageletic posted:

Wow what a bad choice

Slowly dribbling out a plot written by Mark Millar

Exactly. Back in my 20s I liked a lot of Millar's stuff but rereading any of it now most of it is awful. The entire message of Wanted is so terrible. It's basically "I used to be normal and work a dead end job but then I found out I'm the son of a master assassin and now I do wild poo poo all the time, hello person reading this comic, your life sucks rear end compared to mine". This is me sugar coating it a bit. The actual last panel of the comic is pretty astounding.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

To highlight Millar's sense of humor, he has a magazine called CLINT magazine because it looks like the word oval office in the font they use.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm still really lenient on Garth Ennis because he was my first foray outside of mainstream Marvel comics. Well, and the original Image launch. I realize a lot of his stuff hasn't aged well but it's me, the guy that still loves Preacher and Hitman, and hated the Preacher show for not being more like the book.

If I hadn't read an article on Preacher in Wizard I don't know how long it would have taken me to get into smaller books, which is pretty much all I read these days.

mystes
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Wondering if The Boys will get another season is like worrying that Game of Thrones would get cancelled in the middle lol.
To be fair Amazon is unlikely to do something like that, but on the other hand, it's funny to imagine a parallel universe where Game of Thrones aired on Netflix and got cancelled after 3 seasons.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jolo posted:

Exactly. Back in my 20s I liked a lot of Millar's stuff but rereading any of it now most of it is awful. The entire message of Wanted is so terrible. It's basically "I used to be normal and work a dead end job but then I found out I'm the son of a master assassin and now I do wild poo poo all the time, hello person reading this comic, your life sucks rear end compared to mine". This is me sugar coating it a bit. The actual last panel of the comic is pretty astounding.

The moral of every Mark Millar comic is that the world is a horrible place because Mark Millar specifically doesn't get to rape and kill at his leisure

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'll be happy when they stop adapting garth ennis/mark millar/frank miller stuff period, so i guess never
Sure, I liked Preacher when I was 13...and I guess there's approximately one comic of Millar's I found semi-tolerable (Huck, and I guess Red Son)
but mostly they're the holy trinity of making the most tedious edgelord white boy poo poo possible, and almost everything they've made is improved by adaptation solely because of how much the originals are loving garbage that would only be tolerated in the world of comics.

Like, for example, there was really no way but up when adapting The Boys. No matter who did it. Just the most puerile infantile garbage. Genuinely complete trash. That they salvaged a half decent show out of it is almost impressive.

Exactly. It's amazing how every adaptation of Ennis and Miller has improved the original material. (Possible exception being Punisher, which I haven't seen or read enough of.)

Like, I was embarrassed to watch The Boys. Friends raved about it but I remembered the comic and it colored my experience of the TV series. It couldn't be any good. I went back to check my memory of the comic and it was worse than what I remembered. There's things in there that no amount of contextualisation, humor or argument can justify. Still don't think that the series is great - it's still showing too much of the bones of the original. They have to tie themselves into knots as to why the supes just don't annihilate their opposition.

And Preacher? It holds its head above water for 2 seasons, but eventually can't escape the material it came from.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think Preacher was a far better show than comic, and you can actually see that even more in the last season.

Plus I mean, Joe Gilgnun is rad

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I feel like Tenet didn't really work like they wanted it to. The opera scene was cool. I don't think it'll get a sequel, if it were going to it would already have been released

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Medullah posted:

I'm still really lenient on Garth Ennis because he was my first foray outside of mainstream Marvel comics. Well, and the original Image launch. I realize a lot of his stuff hasn't aged well but it's me, the guy that still loves Preacher and Hitman, and hated the Preacher show for not being more like the book.

If I hadn't read an article on Preacher in Wizard I don't know how long it would have taken me to get into smaller books, which is pretty much all I read these days.

Hitman holds up pretty well, outside of Bueno Excellente, and holds one of the most heart felt love letters to Superman. It seems like a likely choice for an eventual show since you can cut superhero stuff easy and the series pretty much forgets that Tommy has powers about 12 issues in.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Martman posted:

I think it's been like, Amazon Prime's biggest hit or something. It's super popular and definitely getting more seasons.

Did The Tick and Jean Claude Van Johnson flop or something? Both of them seemed like shoe-ins for more seasons.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Tick apparently was way expensive to produce. drat shame. The whole bit with Ms. Lint/Joan of Arc was brilliant.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 8, 2021

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Tick wasn't a hit and it apparently cost a ton of money to make.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

To be fair Amazon is unlikely to do something like that, but on the other hand, it's funny to imagine a parallel universe where Game of Thrones aired on Netflix and got cancelled after 3 seasons.

I also enjoy dreaming of better worlds.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Regarding Jupiter's Legacy, it's really a shame that there's no middle ground between pulling your punches a little bit and just allowing yourself to get stomped on while your friends are killed. I don't hate it, but I have extremely low standards. This is not a good show.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Did The Tick and Jean Claude Van Johnson flop or something? Both of them seemed like shoe-ins for more seasons.

I didn't go for The Tick (just didn't gel for me) but JCVJ was surprisingly fun. Could easily do another season of that.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Inspector 34 posted:

Regarding Jupiter's Legacy ... This is not a good show.

I think there's room for an interesting story about the toxicity and entitlement of the Baby Boomers by taking the metaphorical framing where they're represented in the narrative as the spoiled children of superheroes, but it sadly sounds like Jupiter's Legacy is Not That Story. Lord knows Mark Millar would not be the right guy to be telling it, either.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 9, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LifeLynx posted:

Superheroes but "adult" has been run into the ground so much that it's no longer novel, it's just the default expectation to have for a superhero show or movie.

It still has been run into the ground less than just regular superhero poo poo.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Inspector Hound posted:

I feel like Tenet didn't really work like they wanted it to. The opera scene was cool. I don't think it'll get a sequel, if it were going to it would already have been released

The sequel has already screened backwards at multiple cinemas, but you'll only recognise it on the way back.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anybody else catch Cruel Summer on Hulu? Only four episodes out so far but I’m really digging the approach they’re taking telling the story and how it focuses on different characters’ perspectives on what happened.

Can’t stop seeing the dad as Jimmy Olsen tho.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
After having watched the entire run of Jupiter's legacy I'm left with the very real question of "Is everyone int his universe who has superpowers in some way part of these people's extended incestuous family?" Like weird ice guy with the van or the energy projecting lesbians. Did these dudes just do a world gently caress tour in the 60s or what?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Retrowave Joe posted:

Anybody else catch Cruel Summer on Hulu? Only four episodes out so far but I’m really digging the approach they’re taking telling the story and how it focuses on different characters’ perspectives on what happened.

Man I'll be so upset if they don't deliver on this super-goofy premise.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m right there with you. So many shows have trouble sticking the landing, I just hope they were smarter than the Picard showrunners who didn’t even have an ending written when they started filming.

In a way it reminds me of one of Christopher Pike’s YA books, which were extremely my jam back in the early 90s.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Retrowave Joe posted:

About halfway through the 2nd episode and yeah, this is pretty decent! I'm glad to see Andrea Anders in something again, she was great in Better Off Ted and I don't think I've seen her in anything since then.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Just watched Tenet on HBO Max while slightly buzzed and nursing a second shot hangover. Definitely need to watch this movie about 3 more times in progressively drunker states to fully investigate this one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Retrowave Joe posted:

I’m right there with you. So many shows have trouble sticking the landing, I just hope they were smarter than the Picard showrunners who didn’t even have an ending written when they started filming.

In a way it reminds me of one of Christopher Pike’s YA books, which were extremely my jam back in the early 90s.

i'm the ghost hand with long nails

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Just watched Tenet on HBO Max while slightly buzzed and nursing a second shot hangover. Definitely need to watch this movie about 3 more times in progressively drunker states to fully investigate this one.

Do a watch from within a tent, and then next time start the movie exactly at ten.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

gently caress it, then the third time you watch E.T. instead.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jolo posted:

Do a watch from within a tent, and then next time start the movie exactly at ten.

Jolo posted:

gently caress it, then the third time you watch E.T. instead.

This makes absolute sense to me.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Optional final watch is several hours of E!

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Retrowave Joe posted:

Love how the young characters are more emo each subsequent year, though the middle year has the grittiest filter for some reason.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

King of Bleh posted:

I think there's room for an interesting story about the toxicity and entitlement of the Baby Boomers by taking the metaphorical framing where they're represented in the narrative as the spoiled children of superheroes, but it sadly sounds like Jupiter's Legacy is Not That Story. Lord knows Mark Millar would not be the right guy to be telling it, either.

They're not Boomers. Or even Silents. They're early GI generation.

Edit: I only read up to Boomers before posting and it looks like I made an rear end out of myself. Disregard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Charlz Guybon posted:

They're not Boomers. Or even Silents. They're early GI generation.

Edit: I only read up to Boomers before posting and it looks like I made an rear end out of myself. Disregard.

Do we even know how old the kids are? Given the old guard are 120+ the first generation kids could be in their 70s for all we know.