Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
I need to upgrade and "tim apple" hasn't released the goods and I heard theres a chip shortage or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I wish there was a shortage of your threads

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got a 16 incher for ya. :mmmsmug:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Tomorrow at 5pm last I heard.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Jean-Baptiste Lully is a testament to the fact that being a straight up hustler gets you way further than just talent. Born poor in Florence, named Giovanni Battista Lulli at birth, he later french-ified his name and claimed to be the son of a "Florentine Gentleman" because he had his sights set on the French court and you gotta have a name with some swag for that scene

Got the attention of the king and became the only dude in the country authorized to write opera, and then proceeded to monopolize the gently caress out of that for the next 15 years by all means necessary. Breaking violins over dudes heads in rehearsal when they screwed up and stone cold kicking pregnant singers in the stomach to try and get them to miscarry because BITCH I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR NO MATERNITY LEAVE your loving pregnant rear end is NOT going to wreck my meal ticket

unfortunately for him he was gay as poo poo and while in the French court that was okay on the down low or even the medium simmer, Lully was fab af. He fell out of favor with Louis XIV, tried to claw his way back but then died when he smashed the poo poo out of his toe and let it gangrene him to death rather than lose the leg and live because gently caress a rotting appendage, Louis-sama will surely take me back when he sees all my sick-rear end moves in my latest ballet that I wrote and am also dancing in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ngcsx1Drs

His music's okay. Pretty good, but he was no Handel.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I'm trying to pass a turd that feels like a 16 inch MacBook and I'm asking God the same question

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am ansking Michael Delll in his apartment about this very question.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

August 17th dingus, read a book sometime

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoy your glossy screen, garbage-tier zero-travel keyboard, and zero USB ports

Get a ThinkPad t series idiot

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just got one of the new MacBook Airs. It's really good.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

cool thx I wil

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Thinkpads have not been good for a while.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

They definitely dipped a bit in recent years but the T series and P series are still the bees knees

Plus you can't beat the trackpoint and three button mouse

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thinkpads suck poo poo and why the gently caress are they still doing that stupid rear end mouse button in the middle of the keyboard jfc it's 2021

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Jose Oquendo posted:

it's all been downhill since IBM sold them off to Lenovo

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I wish there was a shortage of your threads

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nooner posted:

Thinkpads suck poo poo and why the gently caress are they still doing that stupid rear end mouse button in the middle of the keyboard jfc it's 2021

The trackpoint is the greatest mouse ever made once you adjust the sensitivity and get used to it

Your hand never has to leave the keyboard. I have no idea how people use trackpads

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It already came out and I bought it so you couldn't have it, OP.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Big Beef City posted:

It already came out and I bought it so you couldn't have it, OP.

:stoke::iceburn::stoke:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lmao if you buy a MacBook in the year 2021, just lmbo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao if you buy a MacBook in the year 2021, just lmbo

a spec of dust rendering the entire keyboard useless really helps with having more free time for the important stuff in life

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

have they fixed the problem with macbooks where they literally melt the glue off their own hinges yet
because some genius had the bright idea to put the exhaust vents right next to the very-meltable hinges

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
My new macbook pro m1 doesnt support more than one external display lmao

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

scott zoloft posted:

My new macbook pro m1 doesnt support more than one external display lmao

lmao I had 2 external displays back in 1998 on my gateway

And doesn't like zero apps from the creation of time to 2019 not work on them since it's a different architecture or w/e? lol

I don't know how people put up with that poo poo. I'm still using windows programs from 1996 without issue

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

More like Sac Dook Ho

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
here's the inside of my thinkpad T series:

this is slightly out of date; it turns out it accepts 64 GB of ram :cool:

I was able to open up the philips head screws and throw in two sticks of 32gb of ram each for a total of 64 gb of ram. Total cost? $180. lmao. Apple still ships laptops with 8gb of ram and they literally can't go higher than 16

check out the ports:

check out the macbook ports:

total ports: 1 (0 if charger is plugged in)

lmao

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

lmao I had 2 external displays back in 1998 on my gateway

And doesn't like zero apps from the creation of time to 2019 not work on them since it's a different architecture or w/e? lol

I don't know how people put up with that poo poo. I'm still using windows programs from 1996 without issue

So far it's done a really good job running x86 64 bit applications and games full speed without issues. End user doesn't really have to worry about that unless they're running some fancy kernel level poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

scott zoloft posted:

So far it's done a really good job running x86 64 bit applications and games full speed without issues. End user doesn't really have to worry about that unless they're running some fancy kernel level poo poo

If you try to run an x86 program what does it do? Open up some sort of virtual machine? That's pretty interesting, I figured it was like when they went from PowerPC to Intel and just made believe none of that stuff existed any longer.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 8, 2021

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
They open seamlessly no exaggeration. Of the intel architecture games i've tried disco elysium and dota 2 run full speed with max graphics. The end user is encouraged to use arm64 or universal binaries when available but I haven't run into any snags. There's a hard incompatibility with bootcamp and x64 virtual machines. I can virtualize a windows 10 arm64 preview build if i need windows

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Have you tried using the 15” model a tiny bit closer to your head so it looks like 16” would from a normal distance? I bet it would work.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

I was able to open up the philips head screws and throw in two sticks of 32gb of ram each for a total of 64 gb of ram. Total cost? $180. lmao. Apple still ships laptops with 8gb of ram and they literally can't go higher than 16

check out the ports:

lmao

drat, nice
personally i use a dell G3 3500
its pretty good

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

If you try to run an x86 program what does it do? Open up some sort of virtual machine? That's pretty interesting, I figured it was like when they went from PowerPC to Intel and just made believe none of that stuff existed any longer.

It translates the machine code to ARM, then for that process sets the CPU mode to behave like x86 in regards to memory ordering etc.

Its insanely fast and seamless.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Barely makes noise or gets hot. It's pretty sweet save for the chicken poo poo external display limitation.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

check out the ports:

lmao

Thanks for posting a beautiful sliver of a MacBook not sure why you posted all that broken plastic garbage though. I can't wait to get my hands on the new MacBook pro 16 inch.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I got 16 inches for ya. :grin:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Does apple even sell a one port macbook anymore? I remember they had that 12 inch ultraportable around 2015 or so that only had one port, but I don't think their main product line (air & pro) ever came with just one port did they? I know someone with the base model of the latest air and it's got 2 usb ports. I bought a used macbook pro a couple years ago (2018 model maybe) and it's got 4.

The only port I miss is the SD card reader. Wish they'd bring those back.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Nooner posted:

lol, the Thinkpad T430 i'm currently posting from is certified for use on Mount Everest, The International Space Station and active combat duty in extreme temperatures, humidity and even sandstorms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had my ThinkPad t420 one time sitting on the passenger seat next to me when I was about to drive to work one morning. I had it open and powered up because it was doing some video rendering or something. Anyway it hailed out the night before and I rolled down my front windows to try to get the ice to slide off. It slid off, right into the goddamn car and all over the t420's screen, keyboard, etc. It was a huge rear end heavy sheet of ice which rapidly shattered and began melting immediately.

It did absolutely jack poo poo to the t420. In fact I still use it to this day sometimes when I need firewire since it has a firewire port built in.

Oh yeah and the loving cpu on it is even user replaceable. Literally just needs a Philips head screwdriver to get to it.