Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually ##vote toal cuz why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I don't have much to add besides that I'm hungry. I think OA does look bad? I agree with Sandwolf on that I guess.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Okay I'm eating some poached eggs.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

AT-LOW posted:

This might also be the 4:30 speaking but I feel like I just had a revelation and I now completely understand binus's play and why he does everything he does

Care to enlighten us?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Alright so I just had a read through of a bunch of people here’s what I’ve determined

Sandwolf town
Obama town
Toal town
Sng town
Sal town

Here’s my top scum picks in no particular order
Grandicap af low merk Philip j fry

Null
Hal
Keane
Solus
Random
Dy

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

Alright so I just had a read through of a bunch of people here’s what I’ve determined

Sandwolf town
Obama town
Toal town
Sng town
Sal town

Null
Hal
Keane
Solus
Random
Dy

This is literally the first time you've said merks name. What's your reasoning for him being scummy?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CCKeane posted:

I don't have much to add besides that I'm hungry. I think OA does look bad? I agree with Sandwolf on that I guess.

Yeah getting the same vibe from him as last game

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

CCKeane posted:

This is literally the first time you've said merks name. What's your reasoning for him being scummy?

I’m not prepared to show my work at this time

Sandwolf posted:

??? are we reading the same posts?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My heart says ##vote grandicap

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

I dunno, he seemed more like he wasn't posting last game, this doesn't seen quite the same

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

AT-LOW posted:

33% then 100% lol

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Mr. Steak and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another mafia member, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Hal Insandenza to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Trad Games, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Hal KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try! So Mr Steak, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Trad Games. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Trad Games. See Steak, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Trad Games.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

I’m not prepared to show my work at this time

Why?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Mr. Steak and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another mafia member, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Hal Insandenza to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Trad Games, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Hal KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try! So Mr Steak, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Trad Games. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Trad Games. See Steak, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Trad Games.

I understand that you are doing a thing, but I don't understand that thing at all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Grandicap posted:

I understand that you are doing a thing, but I don't understand that thing at all.

It's a copypasta

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

oic

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Grandicap posted:

THE CREAM OF THE CROP

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

b-minus1 posted:

??? are we reading the same posts?

Yes? What has OA done here that they did not do in that last game? This is a bad line of argument so we shouldn’t continue because it eventually boils down to gut, but you should go leaf through OA’s posts there and compare them to here. Or don’t. It doesn’t really matter, it would only be probative for yourself.

.random
May 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

so solus' play doesn't look great to me, but i also understand the draw of rando shooting someone. It reminds me of cpig shooting grandicap in chaos, and cpig was 3p vig or serial killer or whatever.

i'm very curious about the charging vigilante role, seems like something someone would've definitely jumped on. maybe someone is charging up a spirit bomb

Oof. This post is killing me.

1. Solus play looks anti town... “but” it reminds ilmucche of 3p or SK play (which is... not anti town?)
2. Random speculation about set up that does literally nothing atm but enter another currently useless topic into the discourse

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

AT-LOW posted:

but I have a harder time believing that dy would genuinely have misread my post's gameplay implications quite so much, given that dy clearly thinks about gameplay quite a lot.
I'm writing up some notes and was rereading your posts to try to figure out how serious I am in my suspicions of you. If I did misread your post, can you clarify it for me?

Here's the post:

AT-LOW posted:

Under this assumption, we can say that Solus has a role with an unreliable daykill

Solus is therefore either

a) a firing squad
b) a lying faulty vig
c) a lying mystery role with an unreliable daykill

Firing Squad is by far the most likely assumption, so let's go with that

Under this assumption, Solus is a firing squad and all the world knows it

In that case, unless the case is very compelling, why not simply pressure Solus to use the remaining shot attempts in a boring, but pro-town way?

Basically, a proven ?-shot unreliable dayvig is at town's disposal, and I think that makes that vote a lower-priority one

I am not at all compelled by the "evidence" against Solus and have no real interest in wasting the resource that Solus represents based on one chaos move at the start of day 1

I get that you're saying "there's not really anything to suggest that Solus is scum," and I actually agree - he could go either way and we don't really have the information to tell yet. But you laid out three scenarios, only one of which is likely, and in all of which, Solus is town, right? While you were listing unlikely scenarios, why wouldn't you have had one that is like "Solus is pulling a scum gambit?"

.random
May 7, 2007

.random posted:

1. Solus play looks anti town... “but” it reminds ilmucche of 3p or SK play (which is... not anti town?)
2. Random speculation about set up that does literally nothing atm but enter another currently useless topic into the discourse

Ok. Sorry. I misread where the “but” was in #1. It still reads really badly to me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

.random posted:

There's no butts there. I never said it wasn't anti town. You and binus really grasping at straws here

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

.random posted:

Ok. Sorry. I misread where the “but” was in #1. It still reads really badly to me

Ok fair

.random
May 7, 2007

dy. posted:

I'm writing up some notes and was rereading your posts to try to figure out how serious I am in my suspicions of you. If I did misread your post, can you clarify it for me?

Here's the post:

I get that you're saying "there's not really anything to suggest that Solus is scum," and I actually agree - he could go either way and we don't really have the information to tell yet. But you laid out three scenarios, only one of which is likely, and in all of which, Solus is town, right? While you were listing unlikely scenarios, why wouldn't you have had one that is like "Solus is pulling a scum gambit?"

I don’t get why any of them imply Solus to be town? They just assume Solus will do what we tell him to do during the day or we will lynch him. Which is like, what scum or town would do if they trust the threat. Which I think is actually a good strategy?

.random
May 7, 2007

I don’t have a meta read on OA since I’ve only played one game with him. This is the same way he played last game (as my scum buddy who viciously bussed all his scum buddies :11tea:) but barring additional data points it doesn’t mean so much to me.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

.random posted:

I don’t get why any of them imply Solus to be town? They just assume Solus will do what we tell him to do during the day or we will lynch him. Which is like, what scum or town would do if they trust the threat. Which I think is actually a good strategy?

agreed.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

.random posted:

Please don't answer on behalf of AT-LOW, I want to understand their thinking specifically, but fair point. I had it my brain that there was some implicit assumption that Solus was town in all of these scenarios... but that's not really in the text anywhere, and I think I misunderstood the actual point of his post.

I'd still like to hear from AT-LOW, but I'm wrong on this one.

.random
May 7, 2007

dy. posted:

Please don't answer on behalf of AT-LOW

I’ll try not to. It’s a bad habit of mine in Mafia that has probably led to people claiming I’m white knighting more than once.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

.random posted:

I’ll try not to. It’s a bad habit of mine in Mafia that has probably led to people claiming I’m white knighting more than once.

I’ve only seen merk use that term in like my last 20 played games

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

b-minus1 posted:

Sandwolf town
Obama town
Toal town
Sng town
Sal town

Null
Hal
Keane
Solus
Random
Dy

Hey why me?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

I’ve only seen merk use that term in like my last 20 played games

I also used virtue signaling as a scum tell in a recent game. It was pretty good.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

dy. posted:

Solus is implicitly scum in both "lying" scenarios (and could go either way in the truthful one)

Mr. Steak posted:

i am going to assume that solus had a faulty vig and that he is town alligned

AT-LOW posted:

Steak please at least read Solus's claim lol

Hence this response, I thought that a fakeclaim was incompatible with town

In retrospect that isn't strictly the case, and fakeclaiming firing squad as a town when you realize your faulty vig is the bad one could be a way to draw the NK away from a useful role... as long as you're confident you're not going to get instantly cc'd and suspected, which a townie could not know with any certainty (given that the firing squad will likely want to fire D1 no matter what, maybe you could gamble on it not being in the game and if it is you can be like "well I only flushed out a role that was going to want to fire anyway")

In any case though, the point of the alt scenarios isn't to demonstrate alignment, it's to demonstrate that under the assumption that the resolved action was 100% real, the pool of what Solus could possibly be is incredibly small, and the most likely case by far is that Solus is actually the firing squad

My gripe with the Solus "case" is that it isn't based on scummy gameplay and is instead bending over backwards to eliminate what is almost certainly a power role that town could actually be getting some use out of

Do I think Solus is town? Of course not, everything Solus has done so far is NAI. But do I think Solus is scum? Of course not, everything Solus has done so far is NAI. The case is premature and it's advocating wasting a resource that we all but know is on the table.

Or, in other words, I do not agree with the concept of eliminating that role based on the information we have so far, when that role in particular is so open and easily controlled by the town as a whole

Of course, "the information we have so far" hasn't changed much, so I'll be glad to see it once Solus actually posts content instead of raw chaos

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Yeah that makes sense. I def misunderstood, sorry about that. I was a little extra surly yesterday.

New top scum read is Mr Steak. A lot of stream-of-consciousness posting without any real effort to find scum or ask hard questions. His posts seem weirdly guarded.

Phonepostin now so not gonna do a lot of quotes and stuff but I don’t know if there is anything specific I could point to anyway.

##vote Mr Steak

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

AT-LOW posted:

Solus is implicitly scum in both "lying" scenarios (and could go either way in the truthful one)

Hence this response, I thought that a fakeclaim was incompatible with town

In retrospect that isn't strictly the case, and fakeclaiming firing squad as a town when you realize your faulty vig is the bad one could be a way to draw the NK away from a useful role... as long as you're confident you're not going to get instantly cc'd and suspected, which a townie could not know with any certainty (given that the firing squad will likely want to fire D1 no matter what, maybe you could gamble on it not being in the game and if it is you can be like "well I only flushed out a role that was going to want to fire anyway")

In any case though, the point of the alt scenarios isn't to demonstrate alignment, it's to demonstrate that under the assumption that the resolved action was 100% real, the pool of what Solus could possibly be is incredibly small, and the most likely case by far is that Solus is actually the firing squad

My gripe with the Solus "case" is that it isn't based on scummy gameplay and is instead bending over backwards to eliminate what is almost certainly a power role that town could actually be getting some use out of

Do I think Solus is town? Of course not, everything Solus has done so far is NAI. But do I think Solus is scum? Of course not, everything Solus has done so far is NAI. The case is premature and it's advocating wasting a resource that we all but know is on the table.

Or, in other words, I do not agree with the concept of eliminating that role based on the information we have so far, when that role in particular is so open and easily controlled by the town as a whole

Of course, "the information we have so far" hasn't changed much, so I'll be glad to see it once Solus actually posts content instead of raw chaos

What do you make of Keane says Solus used it in the scummiest way possible?

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Catching up, puppy just started goin nuts so i gotta bounce but this gets me to the end of page 9

Grandicap posted:

dy. and Sand are both more likely than not town in my eyes. Not voting either today.
Bit of a strong read but considering D1 I get it and agree.

CCKeane posted:

Shooting immediately from the hip, particularly randomly, feels like an effort to hide scumminess behind whackiness.
This is the only fair reason for voting Solus and if we get down to hammer and there’s no one compelling it would be enough for me to vote him right now.
That being said, this guy’s being creative as gently caress and I dig it:

AT-LOW posted:

In that case, unless the case is very compelling, why not simply pressure Solus to use the remaining shot attempts in a boring, but pro-town way?
Basically, a proven ?-shot unreliable dayvig is at town's disposal, and I think that makes that vote a lower-priority one
Keane’s point was a good one though on the assumption of town, but I just like where A-L’s head is at.

CCKeane posted:

Ah gently caress it's Solus AND Grand I think.
That would be a lovely gambit I would be happy to have fallen for.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

AT-LOW posted:

I will note that this snipe of a post, leaping on to a burgeoning suspicion while seemingly not analyzing the post I made at all, is my official Least Favourite Post of the thread

First, Keane says that my post basically sounds like I'm arguing from a position that assumes Solus is town. Then, dy leaps in and tries to agree, but says something fundamentally different: that I explored multiple scenarios, and concluded that Solus was town in each one. But in two of my scenarios, I said that Solus was lying, and I specifically said that I wanted to pressure Solus into cooperating rather than trust that Solus is town. I can see why Keane's vibe reading might be off, because I'm refusing to assume that Solus is scum, but I have a harder time believing that dy would genuinely have misread my post's gameplay implications quite so much, given that dy clearly thinks about gameplay quite a lot.

I'll reread and all, mainly to go over how the dy situation developed and to see where the shift to a "dy and sw are probably both town" perspective I saw expressed happened, because honestly I've remained shaky on both: going hard on people playing objectively antitown is a great way to look town while not having to say anything about people looking subjectively scummy, while I also genuinely can't quite tell how much of Sandwolf's early posting he actually wants people to take seriously since it seemed like he was calling it serious with one breath and jokey with the next (also the toal comment was bad but I was fine with the others)

Not voting AT-LOW today. Reads incredibly town to me.

dy. posted:

Cool summary.

I think this guy is scum.

ooph.

on to page 11

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy or OA work for me but we have a big chunk of time

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

##unvote

b-minus1 posted:

I think it’s a little early for all this setup spec.

1. Setup spec “I’m very curious about the specifics of this role, even though it’s d1 and ultimately none of this helps to determine alignment”
2. Hedging on a read “doesn’t look great, but...”
3. 3p hunting on d1
4. Referring to a previous game

Yep this reads like a scum post

I like you better when you're not trying to scumbus my brother while ridiculing everyone for disagreeing with you. I hope this means your town. I also happen to like the gut shot read

merk posted:

Hey why me?
Me too!

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Let me clarify, I like the read as a gut shot but not enough to vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What’s ^