Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShadowHawk posted:

Stellaris/common/lawsuits/00_example.txt
code:
# Example Lawsuit Type

# lawsuit_type = {
#	effect = {}			# scaling effect, scope is country
#	cost = {}			# cost to settle the lawsuit
#	duration = X		# default duration of the lawsuit	
#}
:raise:

Coming soon, Stellaris: OBJECTION!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Ah yes, politicans strike again! Unbidden spawned in Rogue Servitor game, in the middle of the Scuttlebot Swarm(Normal MI, no special variant.) I was in a defensive alliance and neighbours with them so I send in my fleets and manage to snipe the portal and started hunting down left over fleets, taking huge losses. I was so focused on this I did not notice some fucker sneaking in a resolution to declare the scuttlebots the crisis :v:

It passes, and suddenly I have a bunch of hostile fleets in the middle of my territory, and my own are MIA due to them being in their territory, gonna be interesting untangling this mess :allears:
And thats it, after that is done the rest of the galaxy is getting put into timeout, either in pampering zoos or under shields. No they do not get to choose.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

You're actively doing a bunch of stuff to steer it away from what you want, and complaining that the tools you have aren't letting you completely ignore those factors.
Honest question - what things am I actively doing to steer away from what I want? Other than the aforementioned diplo agreement with xenos that I now know to avoid? Is there something else I'm doing wrong here, because I genuinely am trying to learn how to better steer myself in the right direction.

Tarnop posted:

That's true in some cases, but having your empire ruler become the leader of a faction that opposes your empire's ethics is random bullshit that you can't do much about without spending a ton of influence
In one test game I've been running I've had my faction leaders start three different factions lmao. Each time, I loaded my most recent save to try to see if it was something I was doing (essentially to see if it was consistent) or it was just random: Each time I reloaded from the 6 months ago autosave the faction did not spawn, which tells me that it is at least somewhat random. I had Spiritualists, Xenophobes, and Militarist factions spawn simply because my faction leader became the faction leader, but loading the game from before the faction spawned allowed the RNG to bless me with it not spawning.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 8, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Noir89 posted:

Ah yes, politicans strike again! Unbidden spawned in Rogue Servitor game, in the middle of the Scuttlebot Swarm(Normal MI, no special variant.) I was in a defensive alliance and neighbours with them so I send in my fleets and manage to snipe the portal and started hunting down left over fleets, taking huge losses. I was so focused on this I did not notice some fucker sneaking in a resolution to declare the scuttlebots the crisis :v:

It passes, and suddenly I have a bunch of hostile fleets in the middle of my territory, and my own are MIA due to them being in their territory, gonna be interesting untangling this mess :allears:
And thats it, after that is done the rest of the galaxy is getting put into timeout, either in pampering zoos or under shields. No they do not get to choose.

Not gonna lie this is hella funny

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

That's true in some cases, but having your empire ruler become the leader of a faction that opposes your empire's ethics is random bullshit that you can't do much about without spending a ton of influence

Yeah, I really like the faction system but this is just dumb. I even make this problem worse by playing oligarchies, which have a whopping 200 influence to pay if you want to have a say in which of the 4 selected leaders becomes chief boss of everyone.

You'd think a tiny minority with almost no influence in society wouldn't be able to make it so that you have a small, but non-zero chance of them suddenly being elected to lead the executive arm of the entire loving government, but I've seen it happen.

Since I consider this really nasty part of the faction mechanics deeply unfun, I've decided to not engage with this part of the system. Every time I see one or two jackasses hiding among the candidates, I just immediately open the console and give myself 200 influence and select a non-rear end in a top hat to make sure my alien Trumps have no chance to gently caress everything up

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 8, 2021

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i spend my time on faction system doing the basics of appealing to the main factions i expect to have and just ignoring the rest. it's just a system that exists to get me influence w/ minimal investment in it. I do wish they were more interactive in a way but i'm also fine w/ them not being so, i don't think i've ever even suppress/promoted a faction to date. as far as i know it's just not intuitive enough since the things that affect it aren't n your face enough

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Leal posted:

Not gonna lie this is hella funny

I literally laughed out loud when suddenly the prompts poped upp about them being declared the crisis and red fleets showed up everywhere, it owns! :D

I have no idea who hated the scuttlebots so much tho, as far as I know they have barely been in any wars while the other not-me MIs have been in constant wars with the organic slaver empires(As said before, not a nice galaxy). The scuttlebots are literally the nicest of the bunch! I did use the necrophage robot for them tho :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I really like the faction system but this is just dumb. I even make this problem worse by playing oligarchies, which have a whopping 200 influence to pay if you want to have a say in which of the 4 selected leaders becomes chief boss of everyone.

You'd think a tiny minority with almost no influence in society wouldn't be able to make it so that you have a small, but non-zero chance of them suddenly being elected to lead the executive arm of the entire loving government, but I've seen it happen.

Since I consider this really nasty part of the faction mechanics deeply unfun, I've decided to not engage with this part of the system. Every time I see one or two jackasses hiding among the candidates, I just immediately open the console and give myself 200 influence and select a non-rear end in a top hat to make sure my alien Trumps have no chance to gently caress everything up
Your ruler starting up a faction against your starting ethics is dumb enough to count as a bug in my opinion. Unless, Muenster, are you sure that wasn't a random leader that got elected post initial faction startup?
Yeah, I reported a few obvious typo style bugs with single line (or even single character) solutions that persisted through at least one major version change before being fixed in 3.0.0. If you have reported bugs that are 100% still active maybe update the heading with the current version and bump then with "confirmed still present in 3.0.3" or something.

ShadowHawk posted:

Stellaris/common/lawsuits/00_example.txt
code:
# Example Lawsuit Type

# lawsuit_type = {
#	effect = {}			# scaling effect, scope is country
#	cost = {}			# cost to settle the lawsuit
#	duration = X		# default duration of the lawsuit	
#}
:raise:
I saw this hanging around in 2.8, I wonder if it was a cut federations thing?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sloober posted:

i spend my time on faction system doing the basics of appealing to the main factions i expect to have and just ignoring the rest. it's just a system that exists to get me influence w/ minimal investment in it. I do wish they were more interactive in a way but i'm also fine w/ them not being so, i don't think i've ever even suppress/promoted a faction to date. as far as i know it's just not intuitive enough since the things that affect it aren't n your face enough

Yeah for me it's basically a sanity check for policies that I've left on default or haven't thought about for a while. I rarely if ever make a change that doesn't benefit my goals just to appease a faction

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Poking around in the ethic attractions file, it seems that attraction to a particular ethic is doubled if there's an active faction for it.

Poking even further, it looks like attraction to both authoritarian and egalitarian is muliplied by 0.25 if the pop is not a native, regardless of their rights. There's even a comment in there about how this is a bad idea:
code:
	attraction = {
		# Should really check for citizenship instead
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.25
			NOT = { is_same_species = owner_species }
		}
	}

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Splicer posted:

Your ruler starting up a faction against your starting ethics is dumb enough to count as a bug in my opinion. Unless, Muenster, are you sure that wasn't a random leader that got elected post initial faction startup?

Yeah, I reported a few obvious typo style bugs with single line (or even single character) solutions that persisted through at least one major version change before being fixed in 3.0.0. If you have reported bugs that are 100% still active maybe update the heading with the current version and bump then with "confirmed still present in 3.0.3" or something.

I saw this hanging around in 2.8, I wonder if it was a cut federations thing?

i'm going to slam the local devouring swarm with an entire host of lawsuits about unlawful consumption and property encroachment

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sloober posted:

Something I've been wanting for a while is single issue factions that pop up and go away if appeased. Like a "Free Gorbloxia" faction whose official demands are Gorblaxian independence. If you release Gorblaxia Prime as a vassal or an independent country then it goes away and you get an opinion bonus with the new country, but you can also make them happy by fulfilling faction demands of giving Gorblaxians full citizenship, decent living conditions, making Gorblaxia Prime a sector capital and/or in a sector with a Gorblaxian governor, having a Gorblaxian ruler etc, with happy pops leading leaving the faction because eh independence is nice but we have a good thing here.

I really hope that dumb new faction chain isn't a trial balloon for messing around with factions because jesus christ talk about a monkey's paw wish.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gorblexit

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Honest question - what things am I actively doing to steer away from what I want? Other than the aforementioned diplo agreement with xenos that I now know to avoid? Is there something else I'm doing wrong here, because I genuinely am trying to learn how to better steer myself in the right direction.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Ethics

If you want to supress particular factions, do things that reduce their attractiveness at the pop level. To go back to your earlier examples, if you want to suppress spiritualism build robots everywhere. If you want to suppress militarism, stay at peace for ages. If you want to suppress xenophilia, enslave some aliens.

Obviously having to go to the wiki to find this out isn't great, but the tool tips are gradually improving.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tarnop posted:

Gorblexit
LordMune if you pass on this gold I don't even know what

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
One of your planets votes to leave the empire, and the win option is do nothing because they were troll votes

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tarnop posted:

That's democracy!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

Poking around in the ethic attractions file, it seems that attraction to a particular ethic is doubled if there's an active faction for it.

Poking even further, it looks like attraction to both authoritarian and egalitarian is muliplied by 0.25 if the pop is not a native, regardless of their rights. There's even a comment in there about how this is a bad idea:
code:
	attraction = {
		# Should really check for citizenship instead
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.25
			NOT = { is_same_species = owner_species }
		}
	}

Huh. No wonder my new egalitarian Necrophage-run had less trouble with contrarian weirdos spreading their dumbassery around, every time I'm turning aliens into natives the problem must have self-corrected

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why on earth are gestalt consciousness leaders banned from getting resilient or adaptable?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Thanks for all the replies re: factions being stupid. I researched it in my game about why I got the Xenophile and Spiritualist factions. The game says the two should combine to be almost 40% of my pops due to the factors that caused them to be created, which..... gently caress that noise. Having a diplomatic agreement with xenos should not cause 20% of my pops to go xenophile when I am stacking every gov ethics attraction modifier in the game. Similarly, having a diplomatic agreement with a Spiritualist empire should not cause 18% of my pops to go spiritualist. Its just insane.

If you want your pops to stop going xenophile, stop being a xenophile.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowlyger posted:

Please tape this to your screen, Muenster

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the creator of the starnet AI mod weighed in regarding some simple AI fixes/tweaks that PDX could put in 3.0.x:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-3-ai-feedback-megathread.1472737/page-2#post-27514111

pretty nice post

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Shadowlyger posted:

Please tape this to your screen, Muenster
I mean... this is totally fair. However I didnt know till today that signing a NAP with a neighbor constituted "being a xenophile" but apparently to Stellaris's devs even that constitutes enough friendliness with Xenos to cause a solid fifth of my pops to switch. So yeah, I can learn to deal with the stupidity, but it doesnt make it not stupid.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
A NAP means you are agreeing not to purge the xeno. That's Xenophile poo poo. It's not stupid at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shadowlyger posted:

A NAP means you are agreeing not to purge the xeno. That's Xenophile poo poo. It's not stupid at all.
I'm not playing a Fanatic Purifier so yes there is a loving difference between signing a NAP and signing an Alliance & Migration treaty. With a game as detailed as Stellaris you'd think there'd be some nuance to it rather than "you met an alien and didnt immediately purge them, that makes you a Xenophile". Like... I would expect if I agree to be friends with and work with (e.g. trade agreement and research agreement) to kick xenophiles into high gear. Ya know... scaling modifiers?

edit: Sorry for expecting... I dunno, something rational? I'm going to stop posting about it now because as I said I'm learning, I'm reading the wiki, and trying to not be a poo poo about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 8, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Purging = xenophobe
Pacting = xenophile
Ignoring = all the rest

Nuance!

The tooltips for the various diplomatic responses should tell you what ethics attraction they generate, and I agree that a NAP should probably be considered sufficiently minor to not generate ethics attraction

e: hmm according to the wiki it's just defense, migration and commercial pacts that make xenophile attraction

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 8, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tarnop posted:

That's true, but it's also one of the only reasons that I ever interact with ruler elections. So you either pay influence now to keep some production + influence bonuses or you let some rear end in a top hat get elected and diverge your playstyle a little to embrace the new ethics choice offered to you. Both of these options seem cool and good to me!

Chiming in with the crowd to say that I like the ethics and faction systems

The wiki has lists all of the ethics attraction modifiers:

If you want more materialists then make sure all of your planets have robots, and form research agreements with other materialists. Going cybernetic later will also help. Don't form migration treaties, commercial pacts, defensive agreements, or federations with spiritualists. Don't dip into psionic tech

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yami Fenrir posted:

My personal thoughts on the faction system is that it... just needs to be more mallable?

As is your factions are just kind of... either going to love you or hate you forever. And from my personal experience "squashing" a faction is a pipe dream.

I know the "Suppress Faction" Button exists but I'm not convinced it actually does anything. Certainly not in any sort of appreciable time-frame for the quite frankly ridiculous influence cost attached to it.

As with most systems they also don't really... tie into anything. Why are they not hooked into events? It's such an easy thing.

Like reviving the dead aliens via Robots could be an easy Materialist/Xenophile temporary boost or something like that.

I've eliminated several factions. Suppress does in fact suppress. You then need to go deal with ethics attractiveness and fix your problem. Note that maybe the solution is "Embrace the faction and suppress our previous ethic" if you want to keep doing things that attracts the new ethic. The game, as usual, hides all the useful information for making this choice away from you on several individual pop's mouseovers, but you can absolutely go drill down and figure out what is making Tom Android dream of Electoral Sheep.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm not playing a Fanatic Purifier so yes there is a loving difference between signing a NAP and signing an Alliance & Migration treaty. With a game as detailed as Stellaris you'd think there'd be some nuance to it rather than "you met an alien and didnt immediately purge them, that makes you a Xenophile". Like... I would expect if I agree to be friends with and work with (e.g. trade agreement and research agreement) to kick xenophiles into high gear. Ya know... scaling modifiers?

edit: Sorry for expecting... I dunno, something rational? I'm going to stop posting about it now because as I said I'm learning, I'm reading the wiki, and trying to not be a poo poo about it.

Interacting with aliens in diplomatically cooperative ways, including signing agreements to not fight or even defend each other, seems pretty xenophilic to me. You're acting like you'd have to purge them to get the results that you wanted, but that's not true; you could have simply not formed any agreements with them. At the same time, "high gear" isn't quite accurate; it's a notably small minority in your empire

Do you happen to also have alien pops on your worlds, say from any events? That will also create xenophilia. Enslave those suckas

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 8, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Suppress / Support is the kind of thing that could probably do with a ticking progress bar a la infiltration along with exposing some numbers. It shouldn't be a matter of faith or guesswork to know that it's doing something

IIRC the tooltip doesn't even tell you that it costs influence

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tarnop posted:

Suppress / Support is the kind of thing that could probably do with a ticking progress bar a la infiltration along with exposing some numbers. It shouldn't be a matter of faith or guesswork to know that it's doing something

IIRC the tooltip doesn't even tell you that it costs influence

I think the tooltip doesn't tell you but the confirmation dialog does

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I mean... this is totally fair. However I didnt know till today that signing a NAP with a neighbor constituted "being a xenophile" but apparently to Stellaris's devs even that constitutes enough friendliness with Xenos to cause a solid fifth of my pops to switch. So yeah, I can learn to deal with the stupidity, but it doesnt make it not stupid.
It doesn't, only defense pacts, commercial pacts, research pacts, and migration pacts philes the xeno.

So living with, being defended by and defending, or talking to the xeno philes the xeno. Which makes sense.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 9, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

If you want to supress particular factions, do things that reduce their attractiveness at the pop level. To go back to your earlier examples, if you want to suppress spiritualism build robots everywhere. If you want to suppress militarism, stay at peace for ages. If you want to suppress xenophilia, enslave some aliens.

Obviously having to go to the wiki to find this out isn't great, but the tool tips are gradually improving.

QuarkJets posted:

That's true, but it's also one of the only reasons that I ever interact with ruler elections. So you either pay influence now to keep some production + influence bonuses or you let some rear end in a top hat get elected and diverge your playstyle a little to embrace the new ethics choice offered to you. Both of these options seem cool and good to me!

Chiming in with the crowd to say that I like the ethics and faction systems

The wiki has lists all of the ethics attraction modifiers:

If you want more materialists then make sure all of your planets have robots, and form research agreements with other materialists. Going cybernetic later will also help. Don't form migration treaties, commercial pacts, defensive agreements, or federations with spiritualists. Don't dip into psionic tech
Thank you both for linking and pushing me to use the wiki and for the advice. I dont like needing to use a wiki to play a game but it seems worth it in this case.

QuarkJets posted:

Interacting with aliens in diplomatically cooperative ways, including signing agreements to not fight or even defend each other, seems pretty xenophilic to me. You're acting like you'd have to purge them to get the results that you wanted, but that's not true; you could have simply not formed any agreements with them. At the same time, "high gear" isn't quite accurate; it's a notably small minority in your empire

Do you happen to also have alien pops on your worlds, say from any events? That will also create xenophilia. Enslave those suckas
Oh I agree, thats why I said I would expect the attractiveness to ramp up the more agreements you have, and reviewing the wiki shows that what I said was wrong because it is only specific agreements that increase the attractiveness. If I have aliens I enslave them, yeah.

Splicer posted:

It doesn't, only defense pacts, commercial pacts, research pacts, and migration pacts philes the xeno.

So living with, being defended by and defending, or talking to the xeno philes the xeno. Which makes sense.
Right, I should have read the wiki before I posted. I agree that that does in fact make some sense.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They could do what Civ did and essentially embed a wiki in the game, but I'd rather the dev time go on bug fixes, system improvements and more cool stuff

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
It seems like a non-aggression pact would be a pacifist action over a xenophilic one. But that’s apparently not the case.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Hmm just did Shoulders of Giants, I really liked it. Also this was the first game in like a string of 50 where I did not get the stupid gas giant guys. Also played on iron man AND got horizon signal, what a story lol.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IPlayVideoGames posted:

It seems like a non-aggression pact would be a pacifist action over a xenophilic one. But that’s apparently not the case.

It's xenophilic to treat aliens with dignity and respect, and to form agreements with them

It's pacifist to simply not wage any wars at all, and that's accounted for in ethics attraction

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm sort of enjoying the latest version, but I keep having a problem with robots. Unemployed bio pops will actually move around, which is super cool, but robots don't. I don't mind bulk moving robots around, but it seems bio pops always take jobs before robots. I'd prefer robots working low class jobs like mining and farming, my humans don't have any special bonuses to any of those jobs. Is there any way i could mod some weight in the game to make it so robots get first dibs on low tier jobs to then free up bio pops to migrate to planets with tons of open medium and high level jobs?

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

QuarkJets posted:

It's xenophilic to treat aliens with dignity and respect, and to form agreements with them

It's pacifist to simply not wage any wars at all, and that's accounted for in ethics attraction

I don’t disagree that it can be xenophilic. I just think it’s more of a pacifist thing. If I’m remembering right, and it has been a while since I played one, even inward perfectionist empires can make non aggression pacts.

Either way, it doesn’t really matter, since it’s set in the game as a plus to xenophilie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm sort of enjoying the latest version, but I keep having a problem with robots. Unemployed bio pops will actually move around, which is super cool, but robots don't. I don't mind bulk moving robots around, but it seems bio pops always take jobs before robots. I'd prefer robots working low class jobs like mining and farming, my humans don't have any special bonuses to any of those jobs. Is there any way i could mod some weight in the game to make it so robots get first dibs on low tier jobs to then free up bio pops to migrate to planets with tons of open medium and high level jobs?

Robots already get preferential weighting for low tier jobs; what happens if you disable those jobs, creating unemployed biologicals and robots, and then enable one of those jobs? Robots should be filling those empty slots first