Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Flamboyant Murderer was an orphan because of a cascade of misfortune (his mother died, and the midwives got into a fight because they were afraid of taking the blame, and his father came home to find his son newborn among a pile of bodies), there isn't nececssarily a specific connection to the Xi You court shennanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also SPK's house was seperated from the SBD by an entire canyon of wasteland.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And another great episode. At this point it's the normal thing, we are being accustomed to greatness.

An incredible fight scene to start with, Lin being smooth as hell, funny banter, nice chemistry between monk and princess, it was a complete episode. Urobochi also covers well possible plot holes, like why Shang didn't use the index against that formidable enemy, or what the new enemies think of Lin, they aren't really that stupid.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 8, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

And another great episode. At this point it's the normal thing, we are being accustomed to greatness.

An incredible fight scene to start with, Lin being smooth as hell, funny banter, nice chemistry between monk and princess, it was a complete episode. Urobochi also covers well possible plot holes, like why Shang didn't use the index against that formidable enemy, or what the new enemies think of Lin, they aren't really that stupid.

I feel like in some cases its worth examining it like a D&D session; Demon Lady fumbled her persuasion roll (and her pride prevents her from giving a longer more substantial explanation other than "This evil man foiled my plans once!") and the General and Mantis Boy fumbled their Insight checks where they got an ambiguous reading that they read into it what they wanted or expected to hear.

But I didn't quite catch it, is there a specific reason for Shang not to use the Index, was it just being cautious of Ming preparing some kind of trap, or because Instrument Lady got injured before he could consider using it?

But yeah this is such a great series, I feel like this season has spoiled us a lot.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
If a dude is schooling your rear end and he asks you to bring out your nuke, you might not wanna bring that nuke out. Just saying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

its worth examining it like a D&D session

No, it isn't. Fiction does not work like a garbage roleplaying game.

e; vv

Darth Walrus posted:

This is an Urobuchi work, and he's an avid D&D player who's previously incorporated his experience into his writing.

The fact that Urobochi played RPGs has nothing to do with it. Characters in fiction act in a certain way because the author demands that they act that way to further the narrative they're constructing, not because the character ~failed a spot check~.

This isn't even "read another book" territory, it's "read literally any book, please, I'm begging you, and also play literally anything else."

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 8, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes, it is. Because if you're constantly nitpicking scenes based on "Why didn't they just talk to each other!" Like they're beep boop robots and not individuals with hang ups, personality quirks, and mistakes in communication, you're missing the point of fiction being about telling a story. Suggesting that there are underlying mechanics of one stripe or another to explain "immersion breaking behaviour" is just a means of facilitating someone's enjoyment of a creative work and avoid hyperanalyzing every bit of dialogue for plot holes.

It's just a specific way of rebranding "willing suspension of disbelief".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is an Urobuchi work, and he's an avid D&D player who's previously incorporated his experience into his writing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually forgot about this, there was an anime iirc that was an adaption of a D&D game between him, the Monogatari guy, the Durarara author and others. Which is not to suggest that Urubuchi rolled some dice to determine how that scene played out; only that it is a useful way of reframing fiction to not get hung up on potential inconsistencies.

But, as I mentioned further up it is I think observable that the way Shang and others talk to each other is reminiscent of the way D&D/ttrpg players talk to each other when adventuring. So I think borrowing language from D&D and tabletop rpgs to describe and talk about Thunderbolt Fantasy is fairly apropos.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

But I didn't quite catch it, is there a specific reason for Shang not to use the Index, was it just being cautious of Ming preparing some kind of trap, or because Instrument Lady got injured before he could consider using it?

Well, the bad guy goal was to steal the Index, and he is a powerful sorcerer (unlike our group of heroes), so I guess they were wary he had an ace under his sleeve to take it or gain power through it or whatever.

About Lin's scene, it made sense, because the writer only had to remind us that the alliance between the demon and the other guys is weak, it's more like an convenient arrangement, they may be bad guys but still consider the demonkind as the enemies of humankind. So it's totally admissible if some other human, like the Enigmatic Gale, fought against her before their current alliance, if she was doing some disgusting magic ritual or whatever. And Lin totally attacked the Mask's weak point, he doesn't consider himself an evil villain, he is working for his country.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

ElBrak posted:

If a dude is schooling your rear end and he asks you to bring out your nuke, you might not wanna bring that nuke out. Just saying.
Yes, that's basically what bard girl said to Shang during the fight right after the villain taunted him to bring out the index.

Turin Turambar posted:

And Lin totally attacked the Mask's weak point, he doesn't consider himself an evil villain, he is working for his country.
My understanding from that scene is that mask general is just playing along with Lin to avoid revealing that he doesn't trust him; after Lin and Xing Hai leave he admits that he is a "twisted lowlife" just like Lin.

The preview for the next episode look interesting, it suggests that we're going to meet more demons, possibly high ranking ones based on the episode title, so we might be getting some insight on demon politics.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually forgot about this, there was an anime iirc that was an adaption of a D&D game between him, the Monogatari guy, the Durarara author and others. Which is not to suggest that Urubuchi rolled some dice to determine how that scene played out; only that it is a useful way of reframing fiction to not get hung up on potential inconsistencies.

But, as I mentioned further up it is I think observable that the way Shang and others talk to each other is reminiscent of the way D&D/ttrpg players talk to each other when adventuring. So I think borrowing language from D&D and tabletop rpgs to describe and talk about Thunderbolt Fantasy is fairly apropos.

That was Chaos Dragon, and in the end it turned out total dogshit.

Anyway, the D&D comparison is at best a metaphor for how characters behave, it's not ideal. Lin's honeyed words were juuust good enough to slide through Xing Hai's angry complaints. And really, Wan Jun Po is only pretending to be taken in by Lin, and Lin knows that he's pretending. But Wan and Gui are misreading Lin's motivations, they think he's like every other power hungry rear end in a top hat who's out for themselves and after the power of the SSI. From Wan's perspective, if Lin hosed over Xing Hai, it was because Xing Hai was a direct threat to him (when really, it was Lin loving over Xing Hai because lmfao owned biatch). And so Wan would expect Lin to try and gently caress over the Order right as it's time to deliver the goods, but Lin's going to pre-empt them because sike! He was never after the Index in the first place!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes the Enigmatic Gale prefers to foil your plans well before they come to fruition, it's more fun to frustrate them in a way they can't get out of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he prefers to gloat about how he already hosed someone over and they helped lin do it to themselves every step of the way. jumping in, ruining an evil scheme on the spot and gloating about it really isn't lin's thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New episode

-Shang is a freaking time traveled. He comes from the future O_o. If I understood it right, at some point the Void Junction will allow to go back to the past, and he will do it. Does this will create a closed loop?
-Shang and Bard are in the demon realm.
-Demons are super strong on their home turf. They have extra powers because they were in the Demon Realm.
-The land is cloaked in the deepest blue~~! being used a distraction and being the thing that pike interest from the Demon Count was hilarious

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Turin Turambar posted:

-The land is cloaked in the deepest blue~~! being used a distraction and being the thing that pike interest from the Demon Count was hilarious

It was great :allears:

Also, Shang choking Lin nendie. By the way I love that Lin have so many friends now. True, they sound like they hate his guts but it still counts, right? Right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

macabresca posted:

It was great :allears:

Also, Shang choking Lin nendie. By the way I love that Lin have so many friends now. True, they sound like they hate his guts but it still counts, right? Right?

I'm rewatching Season 1 now, and he gets the quest rolling with 'oh, I have a friend for this, another for that...', etc. That's how One Eye-Impaler join, and one of his masters was going to join too until Screaming Phoenix got him.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

New episode

-Shang is a freaking time traveled. He comes from the future O_o. If I understood it right, at some point the Void Junction will allow to go back to the past, and he will do it. Does this will create a closed loop?
-Shang and Bard are in the demon realm.
-Demons are super strong on their home turf. They have extra powers because they were in the Demon Realm.

My understanding is: At some point in the past Shang travels to the future (i.e the current Present) where he learns how the mirrors work and probably some tidbits about heretical sorcery (or at least a layman's understanding so he recognizes it when he sees it) and then eventually returns back. So I think our Shang is the current Shang and there isn't necessarily any kind of time travel plot, i.e our Shang isn't from the past or future. HOWEVER I wholly expect Xing Hai's shenganigans to set events in motion where past Shang goes to the future, learns what he needs to learn, in order to eventually put a stop to her schemes in the present.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think a fun note for this season to end on would be Past Shang popping into the scene of the aftermath of the season climax battle, go "What the gently caress happened here???" and then the inter-season movie features young Shang and General Centipede having adventures

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think a fun note for this season to end on would be Past Shang popping into the scene of the aftermath of the season climax battle, go "What the gently caress happened here???" and then the inter-season movie features young Shang and General Centipede having adventures

Isn't he a Scorpion?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Nah, poison lady was scorpion.

The members we've seen so far are:

Xie Yingluo, the tragic purple scorpion.
Yi Piaomao, the cocky green mantis.
Wan Jun po, the grim pink centipede.
An unrevealed blue spider
An unrevealed yellow hornet
And their boss, Huo Shi Ming Huang, the red locust.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The greatest possible twist would be some kind of direct intersection with Pili's labyrinthine (meta) plot---worlds, time, dimensions, just blow the doors off on everything while we await that next season~

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Episode 8 has been perhaps the weakest so far in this season. Which doesn't mean it was a bad episode, but it was mostly about character A telling characters B and C what we already know, and B and C plotting what to do, telling to D too. So, needed for the story, but not very gripping to watch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This sort of thing where characters actually have to talk to each other and relay information is actually something I adore with this series, it's very Romance of the Three Kingdoms-esque I suppose? It really feels like I'm getting the best of both worlds here. This is a series I trust to deliver something wonderful at the end for all the setup.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I quite like the depiction of the soldier's morale here as factoring into whether or not they would obey the order. Too often in fiction are soldiers depicted as mindless drones who will unquestioningly obey any order. Here, the soldiers are being ordered to work with an enemy that has been slaughtering their countrymen for the past several years, and to work with a witch. Ofcourse they're going "eh... no we're not doing this", with only Lin Setsu's intervention preventing them from completely deserting or mutinying.

Also, good on Wan for ordering his men to NOT engage the heroes. Too often in fiction are bad guys stupid, throwing wave after wave of men at a hero who has an impressive track record. The hero has survived all this poo poo; do you really think YOU are going to be the one to kill him now?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Episode 8 has been perhaps the weakest so far in this season. Which doesn't mean it was a bad episode, but it was mostly about character A telling characters B and C what we already know, and B and C plotting what to do, telling to D too. So, needed for the story, but not very gripping to watch.

It was at least a little bit interesting because what the characters were saying and what the audience knew didn't always track, and the new reveals cast a lot of what we already know into question. SBD possibly saving Lou's life was quite a twist.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Perhaps a bit setup-heavy, but now we have this ridiculous powder keg of circumstances all set to go off.
Demon revival/bad future only happening because of demon realm adventures causing Azri-demon guy to change his mind is a fun twist of fate

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Ya know, Demon duke looks a lot like Bard and murder princess has got those demon red eyes, I wonder if we are headed towards a cross breed reveal?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh well yeah now the loving time cops are going to be involved next ep. Those guys are never good news.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://files.catbox.moe/06q3zv.webm

I should just make this the entire OP.

e; it is now the entire OP.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 25, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I like how chill SBD looks lying on that rock or whatever it is. Demons are just natural swaggers, even as cursed weapons

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Episode 9 I can't tell if Lin Setsua was really brainwashed by S7B, or if he's immune and he's just faking being brainwashed. Alternatively, Lin could have used his illusion magic to swap places with Ken. Since Ken is married and only has eyes for his wife, he could be immune to be 7BD's enchantments.

I wonder if the mountain wizard in the past is going to forge a weapon for Shang to use in the present, or if he's just going to give Shang advice before sending him back to the present.

Moofia Boss Val fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 29, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Episode 9 I can't tell if Lin Setsua was really brainwashed by S7B, or if he's immune and he's just faking being brainwashed. Alternatively, Lin could have used his illusion magic to swap places with Ken. Since Ken is married and only has eyes for his wife, he could be immune to be 7BD's enchantments.

I wonder if the mountain wizard in the past is going to forge a weapon for Shang to use in the present, or if he's just going to give Shang advice before sending him back to the present.

He totally switched places with Ken

Lin knew the sword was in that pedestal, so the real him wouldn't fall for the trap.
He reminded the audience his ability for magical disguises on the previous episode.
We know he is way stronger than he seems, he could have overpowered KGei, at least enough to not look.
Ken was having problem with hiding on the previous episode, so he switching places to hide in plain sight wouldn't be strange.
The previous episode had a last scene between Ken and Lin with Lin saying he wanted Ken to do something.

That said, if that's the case, he is totally loving with Shang and the bard, still acting as Ken after running away with them and not 'breaking the character' even when the time lord appears.

Which by the way, it was amusing that what I imagined as a Time Cop figure wasn't there to make them stop time traveling, but the opposite.

Oh yeah, the twist with Shang visiting the immortal wizards looks super cool. Who knows what we will learn with them. And Mantis is obviously a possible traitor... who knows if even a double agent of some third party.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 29, 2021

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I
Pili fans will recognize the mountain wizard as an obvious homage to the main character of Pili, complete with the spiral eyebrows. Which is pretty neat!

As for what this says about his character...well, the original was benevolent but also a bit of a trickster when necessary (and absolutely ruthless when really necessary)? So who knows.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Which by the way, it was amusing that what I imagined as a Time Cop figure wasn't there to make them stop time traveling, but the opposite.

I think that was the demon duke and not a Time Cop

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Yup, pretty sure its Deishuu Kaiki's seiyuu there.

Time Count's motivations are a mystery to me but interesting. I think this is what a lot of setup was for, things are really heating up!

Just me or did Aoi Yuuki sound a little different for most of the episode?

Yeah I'm pretty sure Lin wouldn't have fallen for such a trap, since he already knew 7BD was there.

I feel sorry for Ken, but also find his constant bad luck and being left behind kinda hilarious.

I wonder if time at all gets changed or what.

Also that end card at the end. :blush:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

It absolutely was.

Pretty sure the Cross-Time Guardian is someone else entirely (like the mountain wizard).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Lin Setsu A did not switch places with Ken San. If he did, Ken would not have spoken to Kei Gai the way he did when they first met in this episode. He would have talked the way Ken normally does because Ken would not have know he was vape disguised as Lin. Lin Setsu A intentionally "fell for the trap" and he is acting. 7BD's power is based on exploiting the desire for control and power from strength. Lin Setsua A does not give a single poo poo about that. He only wants to gently caress with people emotionally and has no care at all for the sword. The only reason he even used a sword at all in season 1 is because he figured out that the only way to obliterate Betsu Ten Gai's psyche was to beat him in a sword fight. He is 100% faking being taken over by 7BD and it will end in a glorious troll.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-05-31/urobuchi-history-and-the-wuxia-hero-of-thunderbolt-fantasy/.172801

ANN does an article about TB, wuxia, and heroism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I have never bought one of these nendo things before and I thought the Lin one is pretty cute so I checked online to see how much one costs.

:eyepop: people pay HOW much for these tiny plastic chibis????